• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasimirobot

I know I am treading on thin ice, but I feel that there are some points that other posters brought up about official romanization that I can address.

Now first we all have to realize that any romanization of Japanese (or most foreign languages for that matter) is inherently inferior to just using the foreign alphabet, in this case Kana/Kanzi. But if we must...

I realize that Kunrei-shiki will never be "popular", but to dismiss it totally on the grounds that it looks funny, or doesn't fit into American English phonetic structure as well as we would like, is not looking at the big picture.

What about other native speakers studying Japanese besides English? French, Chinese, Russian, would not be so hung up that "zi" doesn't look like it sounds, since Hepburn basically force feeds this form of Japinglish romanization on the world.

But I still feel that for studying Japanese grammar and verb structure and conjugations the Kunrei-shiki system is miles ahead of the others, because it emphasizes consistency and corresponds directly to the native Japanese phonology.
It is easier to manipulate the words (mainly verb conjugations) down the line and doesn't run into the problem of irregular examples such at tatu/tachi.

This is of the main problems I have with the Hepburn system is that it changes the stem of verbs, which is not reflected in the underlying morphology of the language.

Some info and background information, for those that never even bothered to read one of my first links:

-------
Introduced to the world in 1885 by a physicist named Dr. TANAKADATE Aikitsu later to become an international standard. This is a very linguistically correct approach where phonemes are uniquely represented. The romanization scheme is based on the structure of the fifty sounds chart, making it easier for Japanese people to learn. It is the only system that unambiguously represents the original Japanese kana. A romanization system by the people, and for the people of Japan.

-------------

A book I recommend- Japanese, The Spoken Language, by Eleanor Harz Jorden
http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Spoken-Language-Part-1/dp/0300038348

Dr. Jorden(is an American linguistics scholar and an influential Japanese language educator and expert) is best known for her textbook on the Japanese language.
This text uses the JSL system of romaji for transcribing Japanese into the Roman alphabet and explains very clearly the advantages of doing so.

One of my old Japanese professors (a PHD in Japanese linguistics) told me she would never teach any other form of romanization.

Now I understand that as of today, the main users of Kunrei-shiki are native speakers of Japanese (especially within Japan) and linguists studying Japanese, but I still feel Kunrei-shiki is perfect for all Japanese or non-Japanese who have a good understanding of Japanese phonology

Thanks for your time.

Askia47

Didn't Pass JLPT level 4 for the second time :(. I gotta study up so much its not even funny. Genki II here I come!

Kanji is VERY difficult to learn no?

At the moment, I have been actually picking up phrases unconsciously from watching Jap. anime with subtitles.

I think I may invest in a book or an audio book to learn Japanese...

But Kanji seems like a whole other level...and it would probably be better than I learned Japanese first, no?

Zoe

bigmit3737 said:
But Kanji seems like a whole other level...and it would probably be better than I learned Japanese first, no?

Start with hiragana/katakana, then vocab. Learn the kanji of the vocab as you go along.

Writing it down (properly!) makes learning it much easier.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
bigmit3737 said:
Okay, sure you could get really good at listening/speaking without ever touching kanji. But you're gimping yourself. I know there are some people that did the Heisig book before touching any other Japanese materials and they seem to be progressing rather well.
Plus, if you put it that way it sounds like you'll be delaying kanji forever. What does 'learned Japanese' even mean?
It's just something you have to get down and dirty with. Kanji are part of the language.

joyokanji.jpg

I made a new desktop background. :D

It is easier to manipulate the words (mainly verb conjugations) down the line and doesn't run into the problem of irregular examples such at tatu/tachi.
I don't want to get into it too much again but just one last thing.
If you're studying Japanese you should be avoiding romaji.

YYZ

Question for those that have learned Japanese (not first language). Do you speak slower than a native speaker or are you pretty much around the same speed now?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
sasimirobot said:
I know I am treading on thin ice, but I feel that there are some points that other posters brought up about official romanization that I can address.

Now first we all have to realize that any romanization of Japanese (or most foreign languages for that matter) is inherently inferior to just using the foreign alphabet, in this case Kana/Kanzi. But if we must...

I realize that Kunrei-shiki will never be "popular", but to dismiss it totally on the grounds that it looks funny, or doesn't fit into American English phonetic structure as well as we would like, is not looking at the big picture.

What about other native speakers studying Japanese besides English? French, Chinese, Russian, would not be so hung up that "zi" doesn't look like it sounds, since Hepburn basically force feeds this form of Japinglish romanization on the world.

But I still feel that for studying Japanese grammar and verb structure and conjugations the Kunrei-shiki system is miles ahead of the others, because it emphasizes consistency and corresponds directly to the native Japanese phonology.

This is of the main problems I have with the Hepburn system is that it changes the stem of verbs, which is not reflected in the underlying morphology of the language.

Some info and background information, for those that never even bothered to read one of my first links:

-------
Introduced to the world in 1885 by a physicist named Dr. TANAKADATE Aikitsu later to become an international standard. This is a very linguistically correct approach where phonemes are uniquely represented. The romanization scheme is based on the structure of the fifty sounds chart, making it easier for Japanese people to learn. It is the only system that unambiguously represents the original Japanese kana. A romanization system by the people, and for the people of Japan.

-------------

A book I recommend- Japanese, The Spoken Language, by Eleanor Harz Jorden
http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Spoken-Language-Part-1/dp/0300038348

Dr. Jorden(is an American linguistics scholar and an influential Japanese language educator and expert) is best known for her textbook on the Japanese language.
This text uses the JSL system of romaji for transcribing Japanese into the Roman alphabet and explains very clearly the advantages of doing so.

One of my old Japanese professors (a PHD in Japanese linguistics) told me she would never teach any other form of romanization.

Now I understand that as of today, the main users of Kunrei-shiki are native speakers of Japanese (especially within Japan) and linguists studying Japanese, but I still feel Kunrei-shiki is perfect for all Japanese or non-Japanese who have a good understanding of Japanese phonology

Thanks for your time.

I totally agree that Kunrei-shiki is a more practical form of romanization for those who understand Japanese. However, for students learning Japanese who come from English speaking backgrounds the Hepburn system probably does a better job in assisting learning.

I've recently been playing an online MMORPG with some Japanese players and we communicate with Romaji, but everyone (myself included) use the Kunrei-shiki because it's a lot easier.

Amon37

I always see commercials for that Rosetta Stone Lanquage learning program.

http://www.rosettastone.com/

Is that just some commercial horseshit or is it a real way to learn but just using a different method.

Also for your method, so I will be able to write this kanji and have keywords associated with it, but if I'm going to listen to the news or a podcast I still don't know what the words sound like so how an I able to associate it with what I've been writing?

A little confused at the moment. Is Kanji the most used in Japan in terms of written content?

What's used in Manga and Video games?

There seems to be a few forms.

Zoe

kanji > hiragana > katakana

Games and manga use a mix of the three with the amount of kanji depending upon the age of the target group.

Zoe said:
kanji > hiragana > katakana

Games and manga use a mix of the three with the amount of kanji depending upon the age of the target group.

Thank you. I am going to go full force at Kanji then. :D

Getting some audio books from the library for the oral portion. =)

Askia47

For some reason I'm having trouble having Japanese come together for me. Im doing RTK with Genki II, but at the same time it feels as though I can not get a good grip of the language. I've been studying for a while now yet it still seems difficult to form a sentence in my head of even hear what native speakers say clearly, it frustrates me to no end. When I read Japanese i always try somewhat translating it at the same time and I think this mixes me up alot. The grammar screws me up and I cant speak at all. When I go to study my textbook I'm in it for a good hour or two but still it seems not to help much. When i play DQIV or read some manga, i understand a good amount, but all of times ill recognize all the words in a sentence yet not know what the whole sentence means. the particles -noni, datte, node always confuse me, they either come in the middle or end, and i dont really grasp them. Im not sure how to improve any faster.

tnw

Banned
sasimirobot said:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy(z)

im fluent in engrish

we had a reception for a bunch of foreign guests last week, so all the food was labeled in English

one of the choices was DACK :lol

what don't you understand about noni, datte, and node?

if you're that far along in grammar, you shouldn't be having problems really.

Askia47

tnw said:
we had a reception for a bunch of foreign guests last week, so all the food was labeled in English

one of the choices was DACK :lol

what don't you understand about noni, datte, and node?

if you're that far along in grammar, you shouldn't be having problems really.

When I come to them in a sentence i have a hard time figuring out what they mean in relation to the rest of the sentence .

Zoe

no ni = even though
no de = because
datte = .... I guess I'm blanking here cause I only think of it as a standalone "but...."

tnw

Banned
Zoe said:
no ni = even though
no de = because
datte = .... I guess I'm blanking here cause I only think of it as a standalone "but...."

datte kind of has two meanings.

if it's at the end of a phrase, it means 'also, even'. Kind of like 'mo' or 'demo'. 'boku datte shiranai yo' Even I don't know that (which could be in response to asking say a child a really difficult question that they would never be expected to know, etc.)

the datte that was just mentioned means kind of like 'i mean come on'. it's usually coupled with 'da mon (desu mono) at the end of the sentence.

You like natto?!

datte, oishiin da mon!

tnw said:

if it's at the end of a phrase, it means 'also, even'. Kind of like 'mo' or 'demo'. 'boku datte shiranai yo' Even I don't know that (which could be in response to asking say a child a really difficult question that they would never be expected to know, etc.)

the datte that was just mentioned means kind of like 'i mean come on'. it's usually coupled with 'da mon (desu mono) at the end of the sentence.

You like natto?!

datte, oishiin da mon!

What does dattebayo mean? (Naruto)

From anime...I learned words like "demo" which I thought meant "but"...

And whenever they are confused...They say, and I am not sure if I am spelling this right...but, "eh tou", which means what, "umm"?

It seems like a cute way to say umm though....so I guess older guys don't really say it? (I mainly saw female characters saying it in anime)

tnw

Banned
bigmit3737 said:

And whenever they are confused...They say, and I am not sure if I am spelling this right...but, "eh tou", which means what, "umm"?

It seems like a cute way to say umm though....so I guess older guys don't really say it? (I mainly saw female characters saying it in anime)

stop learning japanese from cartoons.

bigmit3737 said:
How do you write "Infinity" in Kanji?

Thanks.

Getting a tattoo, I assume? An American tattoo artist won't draw them properly.

無限 【むげん】 (adj-no,adj-na) infinite
無限大 【むげんだい】 (adj-na,n) infinity

Cheesemeister said:

:lol :lol

cold just cold

Cheesemeister said:

Oh no. Just a word I wanted to know.

Everything is coming out in question marks, what program do I need to see the characters properly.

EDIT:

Also, till I get my books, is there a good site where I can start learning Kanji from? Avoid Romaji right?

Thank you.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
tnw said:
stop learning japanese from cartoons.

でも 好きだもん!

tee hee
throws up

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
sasimirobot said:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy(z)

im fluent in engrish
Was the ban not enough for you?
I HAVE NEVER SAID THAT I AM FLUENT. Get you fucking head out of your ass and preferably out of this thread.
Askia47 said:
When I come to them in a sentence i have a hard time figuring out what they mean in relation to the rest of the sentence .
I'm sure the other folk covered it well enough, but to keep tooting horns, those grammar dictionaries did a good job of explaining these kinda things to me. Can't remember if I touched upon it in the OP, but the books have examples of good sentences, examples of similar sentences with similar vocab and examples of ways you can't use the grammar. I love them book so much.

Askia47

Zoe said:
no ni = even though
no de = because

Thanks for that ill try and make sense of it.

でも 好きだもん!

tee hee throws up

Also The Desu mono = damon? What would that mean?

RevenantKioku said:
Was the ban not enough for you?
I HAVE NEVER SAID THAT I AM FLUENT. Get you fucking head out of your ass and preferably out of this thread.

I'm sure the other folk covered it well enough, but to keep tooting horns, those grammar dictionaries did a good job of explaining these kinda things to me. Can't remember if I touched upon it in the OP, but the books have examples of good sentences, examples of similar sentences with similar vocab and examples of ways you can't use the grammar. I love them book so much.

Oh, ok I'll look in the OP then.

RevenantKioku

bigmit3737 said:
Listening to one audio book so far and anime has really helped with a lot of everyday sayings.
Yeah, watching anime without subs is faaaaaaar from a bad thing. Just don't try to mimic the characters. :lol

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
bigmit3737 said:

"dattebayo" is a commonly used phrase that puts extra emphasis on how important what you just said was. Everyone says "dattebayo"

You're right, demo doesn't mean "but", it's a word that shows whoever you are talking to that you are very confused and potentially have to go to the bathroom.

"etto" is just a sound people make to cover up any sort of gas they have. Older guys don't say it because there is no shame in farting at that age. Females obviously do that so they don't ruin their feminine image.

Watching anime is a good way to reinforce the Japanese you already know and pick up a few words here and there, but do not use it as your only resource for hearing Japanese.

RevenantKioku said:
Yeah, watching anime without subs is faaaaaaar from a bad thing. Just don't try to mimic the characters. :lol

:lol :lol :lol I was actually doing that for some phrases I couldn't pronounce...lol.

Blackace

Askia47 said:
Also The Desu mono = damon? What would that mean?

damon is a really young girly way to desuyo, dayo, or better yet (well for me at least tnw will shake is head and say I sound like an old man from a rice farm) dazo.

There are just certain things that a man can't really say, or an older person of both genders can't really say. These type of words show up in most animes. So in short learning from animes will make you sound like a fruitcake if you talk like the characters.

Same goes for the guys who get a Japanese gf and copy how she speaks..

sprsk

tnw said:

You like natto?!

datte, oishiin da mon!

"datte" at the end of a sentence can also indicate something someone said.

お父さんがカズマ君の家に行けないんだって

Blackace

sp0rsk said:
"etto" is just a sound people make to cover up any sort of gas they have. Older guys don't say it because there is no shame in farting at that age. Females obviously do that so they don't ruin their feminine image.

etto is used by all ages. It is just a filler word. It lets the person know you are thinking. Ano is another word used like that

Blackace said:
etto is used by all ages. It is just a filler word. It lets the person know you are thinking. Ano is another word used like that

Ano. Yep another word I learned from anime.

Thanks for the clarification.

Blackace

sp0rsk said:
"datte" at the end of a sentence can also indicate something someone said.

お父さんがカズマ君の家に行けないんだって

that is how I most commonly hear it.

Like when my wife says the exact thing her mom just said to me and acts like she somehow made the communication all possible by adding the datte to the end of it

sprsk

Blackace said:

You mean it's not what people say when they want to cover up their flatulence?

Blackace

bigmit3737 said:
Ano. Yep another word I learned from anime.

Thanks for the clarification.

kids often use "anone" when they are trying to say something but can't find the words.

sp0rsk said:

I was a little confused by your post...from watching tons of anime, it looks like a filler word when they are thinking...that's why I thought it was something along the lines of "ummm"

Blackace

sp0rsk said:
えっと 404 面白い事が見つけてなかった

sprsk

bigmit3737 said:
I was a little confused by your post...from watching tons of anime, it looks like a filler word when they are thinking...that's why I thought it was something along the lines of "ummm"

My post was 100% false. Just having a little fun.

How do you say "I understand"?

Wakarimusu?

From anime I hear them saying something like "Va gata"

Does that mean "I got it, I understand"?

What's the difference between the two ways?

Blackace

bigmit3737 said:
How do you say "I understand"?

Wakarimusu?

From anime I hear them saying something like "Va gata"

Does that mean "I got it, I understand"?

What's the difference between the two ways?

分かりました wakarimashita

分かった wakatta

both mean the same thing. Wakarimashita is just more respectful.

RevenantKioku

bigmit3737 said:
:lol I was hoping so...I was about to go back and watch anime, and see if the girls did fart..:lol
It's a good thing that's not really how it goes. Otherwise this one guy I know is letting 'em fly at about a mile a minute.

Wow, I started looking at some of the links from the OP, and Kanji is really interesting.

I didn't know, that we are pretty much learning words.

It's a great use of imagination. So I have to learn 40,000 huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom