• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Minimalist Ninja Gold N+ XBLA Official Thread

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Header:

bannerdefault.jpg

What is N?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N_(game)

N is an award-winning freeware Adobe Flash computer game developed by Metanet Software. It was inspired in part by Lode Runner, Soldat, and other side-scrolling games, and features a realistic physics engine. The name is derived from "The Way of the Ninja," which is described in the background story. N features a ninja, who is the player-controlled character in the game.

Story

"You are a ninja. Your god-like speed, dexterity, jumping power, and reflexes are all a result of an amazingly fast metabolism; sadly, so is your natural lifetime of 1.5 minutes. Like all ninjas, you have an unquenchable thirst for gold, a natural propensity for exploring rooms infested by increasingly lethal ninja-killing robots, and a devout belief in N. N, 'the way of the ninja,' is a highly advanced system of spiritual, cognitive, and physical training. It emphasizes pacifism, humility, and the need to traverse a series of 5 rooms before the end of your lifetime, a feat known only as 'beating an episode'. In accordance with the teachings of N, it is your profound hope that one day you will develop the skill, intelligence, and inexplicable ability to reincarnate necessary to achieve mastery of all 100 episodes."

[edit] Gameplay

In N, the player controls a ninja who runs and jumps around levels, picks up gold, opens and closes doors through switches, and avoids enemies in an attempt to trigger a switch which opens an exit door, and get to it safely. Gameplay involves three keys—moving left, moving right, and jumping—but combinations of these moves on various types of terrain allow the ninja to do much more than simply run and jump.

N is composed of episodes, each featuring five levels, numbered 0 through 4. As of version 1.4, the game contains 100 episodes, making up 500 official levels. The goal of each level is to trigger the switch and exit through a door it opens before the 90-second time-limit is up. Some levels have more than one exit and associated switch.

N also contains a feature that adds support for custom, user-made levels through a built-in level editor. Some fan-made maps are given to players with the game's download. Levels can be added into a game by modifying a text file that contains user level data; adding level data to this file allows user levels to be played in a timed setting, though it does not support the episode structure of the main game.

What does the + Stand for?

http://www.xblarcade.com/node/8

In N, the player controls a ninja with a thirst for gold, trapped in a world of well-meaning, inadvertently homicidal robots. N is a unique 2D puzzle / platformer which adds modern physics simulation to classical game play; the addictiveness of tetris, the simplicity of pacman, and the intangible hilarity of ninja dismemberment.

Metanet with Klei Entertainment are working on the sequel dubbed "N+" and will be adding such features as cooperative and competitive multiplayer.

Release Date:

http://www.metanetsoftware.com/blog/?p=39

N+ on XBLA this Wednesday (the 20th)!! YES!!!!!!!

By M&R | February 18, 2008

Seriously, it’s been killing us to keep all the news about N+ quiet. We have really big mouths, and it’s hard to shut that down. But, finally, we’re FINALLY allowed to share the good news with everyone. N+ will be available for download for 800 points on this Wednesday, February 20th, at 9am PST. Yay!We feel like maybe there’s not as much buzz as there could have been, but the orders to keep it all under our collective hat came from Microsoft’s marketing department, and presumably they know a lot more about this sort of thing than we do. ;)

At this point we’re completely anxious, worried that it’s too hard and no one will buy it because the graphics are so minimal and stylized (though stylish), and after struggling with the demo for the hypothetical 3 minutes you have before people get bored, they’ll give up instead of pushing on and finding their inner ninja. All we can do is hope people will see/play past all that and get incurably addicted. And then addict their friends! ;)

There are also a couple sets of really cool gamerpics and themes in the LIVE Marketplace — we would have liked to put them up for free, but this is apparently against policy. It *is* a bit frustrating: it seems silly to us that gamers have to pay for something entirely superficial and not even part of the game! In any case, we’ll try to have preview pics up on Wednesday, so at least you can see what you’ll be getting. There will also be one or two level packs coming in the future, though we don’t really know the timing for that yet.. but we figure 450 levels should keep everyone busy for a while ;)

The GDC is looking like it’s going to be great. Raigan’s got a presentation on Monday, and Mare and Nick are doing the N+ XBLA post-mortem on Tuesday, so we’ve still got some work to do.. but we can’t wait for Wednesday!

Protip: One does not typically have a launch party if there is no product coming out, also note that this party is happening next Wednesday and the dots are connected

N+ XBLA Expanded Information

http://blogs.ign.com/Metanet/

MadSheep_V2.1, flunkie44 and tumble996 wondered, essentially: Will there be many differences between the different platform releases?

Yes, there most certainly will be. The first thing to mention here is that there are two versions of N+ coming out: N+ for XBLA and N+ for DS/PSP, each done by a different developer and with a different “flava.” We regret not using distinct names for the two versions, since they’re pretty distinct from each other -- we did initially propose a different name for each version, but alas, it was not to be.

Both versions of N+ feature different modes of multiplayer, a built-in level editor and all new levels. The version for Xbox360 LIVE! Arcade was developed by Slick Entertainment. We produced/published it ourselves (and made all the non-SUBLiME levels, including the incredible multiplayer levels), and our main goal was to make it feel very true to the original N in terms of gameplay and intensity. Anyone who was really into the original will definitely not be disappointed by this version; we spent a lot of time making sure it felt just right. The injection of nuanced, next-gen upgrades to physics, graphics, and sound, and a whole whack of intense bug-fixes really add the plus.

N+ for DS/PSP was developed by Silverbirch Entertainment, and produced/published by Atari. We did the single-player level design and “consulted” – basically reviewing each build and writing down all of our suggestions/comments. This version differs slightly from the original -- it’s very similar, however there are differences in terms of aesthetic and the feel of the physics. For instance the lowered screen resolution meant that the player couldn’t be expected to make super-fine-grain adjustments to their position, so there were adjustments made to account for that.

Both versions can be said to be interpretations of two common themes: “N” and “awesome.”

Is There a Level Editor and Online Exchange?

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/n/nplusxboxlivearcade/

* Addictive gameplay: N+ features run-and-jump gameplay with hilarious ragdoll physics. It's easy to get into, but challenging enough for the hardcore gamer.
*Many, many levels: Featuring well over 300 all-new levels, the game also includes a built-in level editor for players to create their own levels. Additional level packs, including the classic N levels from the PC version, and multiplayer level packs, will be available in the future.
* Multiplayer modes: Multiple cooperative and competitive multiplayer modes are included. Try survival, race, or co-op play.
* Replays: Each level can be replayed to see how fast you completed the level.
* Additional content: Check out additional ninja costumes for both single-player and multiplayer games, and skin your dashboard the N+ way

In a word, yes and yes.

Trailer:

Trailer:

High Resolution

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/viewer.aspx?productId=2059&assetTypeId=2&shotId=0

Low Resolution

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/viewer.aspx?productId=2059&assetTypeId=2&shotId=0&alt=1

Screenshots:

med_N+-PSPScreenshots16904npure_screen2.jpg

med_N+-PSPScreenshots16905n_pure_screen1.JPG

N+_screenshot16--screenshot_viewer_medium.jpg

N+_screenshot7--screenshot_viewer_medium.jpg

N+_screenshot14--screenshot_viewer_medium.jpg

N+_screenshot23--screenshot_viewer_medium.jpg

N+_screenshot4--screenshot_viewer_medium.jpg

Previews:

Team Xbox

http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1828/N/p1/

UGO.com Blog

http://gamesblog.ugo.com/index.php/gamesblog/more/the_glory_that_is_n/

Original N Free Download for those who have not experienced N yet (Pc, Mac, Linux)

http://www.thewayoftheninja.org/n_downloads.html

Achievements

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/achievements.php?gameID=438

Complete 15 Episodes 10
Complete 15 Single Player episodes.

Complete 30 Episodes 15
Complete 30 Single Player episodes.

Complete 40 Episodes 20
Complete 40 Single Player episodes.

Complete all 50 Episodes 25
Complete all 50 Single Player episodes.

Complete 5 Co-op Episodes 15
Complete 5 co-op episodes.

Complete 10 Co-op Episodes 15
Complete 10 co-op episodes.

Speed Demon 20
Win 10 races in ranked online matches.

Survivalist 20
Win 10 survival games in ranked online matches.

Disciple 5
Complete one tutorial episode.

Perfectionist 20
Complete an episode without dying in Single Player mode.

Treasure Hunter 20
Complete an episode and obtain every gold piece in Single Player mode.

Secret Achievements

Secret Achievement 15
Continue playing to unlock this secret achievement.

Reviews: Pending

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I've seen ppl in class play this game on their laptops. I don't think I'll pick it up, but I didn't know it was popular enough to warrant a XBLA port.

Played the XBLA version at PAX, and loved it. Definitely getting in on this.

Doubters, go play the free version and join the ranks of the converted.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
OnWarmerMusic said:
Played the XBLA version at PAX, and loved it. Definitely getting in on this.

Doubters, go play the free version and join the ranks of the converted.

Indeed, nothing to lose there.

Jables

One of the greatest flash games ever. I think we had about 25 people playing it at one time during lectures in college. I'll definitely be snatching this puppy the day it drops!

Alex P

My love for N knows no bounds, but the game is fucking tough.

I can only imagine how many thrown controllers this will lead to.

The original is probably in my Top 5 games of all time. Mainly because the gameplay is simple, compelling, and fun as all hell. I love platforming! I love ninjas! I imagine I'll enjoy both of these things even more in HD.

Flawless victory.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
jakershaker said:
This is coming out for PSP right?

Think I saw it on some release list somewhere.

Yes, in fact the first two screenshots are of the PSP Version, those are coming next month.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I saw a small cardboard standup advertising the PSP/DS versions in Gamestop the other day, was actually gonna ask about it since I've never heard of the game before. Didn't know it was an indie PC game originally, I should check this out.

OMG :O N! I love that game.

One thing I didn't like about the game was that if the time ran out you had to start from the beginning, but if you just died you could replay the stage. I hope they fix that so you can replay the stage if the time runs out.

They're having a launch party in Toronto? Too bad I'm not into going to those kinda things.

I can't remember how steep the learning curve is, nor can I recollect exactly what level converted me into a believer. However, once you get a grasp of what's going on, the game is a worthwhile and enjoyable experience.

Except when you get to the levels above 50.
Then you fucking want to kill every piece of shit cunt sucking ass shit GOD DAMNIT TITTIES THE MISSLES?! SHIT. cunt.

Last time I played this the physics were too loose for me. =(

Ninjas, like humans, have fast acceleration and low top speed. I felt like I was playing a platformer with a car. Same inertia and acceleration as one.

pswii60

Shard said:
Have seen price officially stated, but most likely 800 points.

Shame. I'll still buy it at 800, but I think this would be an incredible success at 400 points. 800 points might put many people off with its simplistic and minimal look.

Maybe they should compromise and invent a new 600 points price point.

Seth C

pswii60 said:
Shame. I'll still buy it at 800, but I think this would be an incredible success at 400 points. 800 points might put many people off with its simplistic and minimal look.

Maybe they should compromise and invent a new 600 points price point.

And the fact that it is, you know, FREE on PCs.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Seth C said:
And the fact that it is, you know, FREE on PCs.

Well, some about of money was going to be doled out for the N+, the portable versions are going to be 30 USD.

Davidion

The original was hard as all hell, thought the game itself is solid and I'm happy it's getting some love.

I'm surprised orisinal games haven't been brought to consoles. :lol

Davidion said:
I'm surprised orisinal games haven't been brought to consoles. :lol

That's a really good point. I'm not sure I could make myself stop playing that rabbit jumping Winter Bells game if it was on Wii...

Seth C

Shard said:
Well, some about of money was going to be doled out for the N+, the portable versions are going to be 30 USD.

That's great, if they can convince people to pay it. Really though, I played it until I was tired of it already...for free. It makes even $10 seem like a huge rip-off. For $5 I'd buy it anyway, because I'm willing to waste that much.

Davidion

KingGraham said:
That's a really good point. I'm not sure I could make myself stop playing that rabbit jumping Winter Bells game if it was on Wii...

Orisinal + wiiware/retail compilation = fucking bank

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Seth C said:
That's great, if they can convince people to pay it. Really though, I played it until I was tired of it already...for free. It makes even $10 seem like a huge rip-off. For $5 I'd buy it anyway, because I'm willing to waste that much.

Judging from just the reaction here, there are people willing to pay for the upgrade, PC version and XBLA version are not the same by the way.

Day one purchase for me as well. I played the heck out of the original, but I'm fully willing to give these guys (well, guy and girl) my support. And co-op sounds like it could be an awesome addition.

Shard said:
Have seen price officially stated, but most likely 800 points.
On the developers' IGN blog, they suggested either 400 or 800 points. I'd guess 800 as well, but 400 is at least a possibility.

ColR100

I played some of the PC flash game and I wasn't all that impressed. I can understand why people would like it, so I'm guessing it's just not my sort of game. Nice OP btw as well.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
N is an amazing game.

Honestly, I had no idea that there was an XBLA port coming. >_> Oh, well, good news for me. Now I don't have to wait on the DS version. :D

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
MicVlaD said:
Please let this be out next week.

I would have said that it was coming this week based on the evidence I uncovered, an release party happening next Wednesday posted on the official forums of Metanet by a Metanet employee, it makes sense that it would be this week, but now Discs of fucking Tron had to appear and throw a confusing monkey wrench into the whole deal.

Top Bottom