• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Re-Rezzed! Discs of Tron coming next week to Xbox Live Arcade

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/850/850725p1.html

Discs of Tron Enters the Arena
Coming to XBLA next week.
by Hilary Goldstein

February 8, 2008 - Discs of Tron, the second arcade game inspired by the classic '80s sci-fi flick, is coming to XBLA on February 13. Priced at a modest 400 Microsoft Points (US$5), Discs of Tron takes the fan-fave arcade hit, ands spiffy new backgrounds, upgraded audio and online multiplayer modes.

For readers born in the '90s, Tron was a Disney movie old folks geeked out to. It starred Jeff Bridges as an arcade genius who gets sucked into a computer program where he meets Bruce "Scarecrow & Mrs. King" Boxleitner, a rebel out to bring down the Master Control Program.

"Discs of Tron is considered an arcade classic as it mesmerized fans who wanted an entertaining and challenging experience derived from the innovative film," said Craig Relyea, senior vice president of global marketing, Disney Interactive Studios. "The game's release on Xbox Live Arcade enables multiple generations to play the addictive game in both its original form from 25 years ago and an enhanced mode with upgraded graphics and sound."
In Discs of Tron, players square off against the evil Sark with a Frisbee-like discs in hand. Throwing the disc off walls while jumping across precarious platforms in an attempt to "derezz" Sark.

You can also take DoT online for two-player co-op, VS matches, VS Speed Mode and VS Deadly Disc.

End of line.

jgkspsx

Wooo!

Now how about the original Tron, one of the best Midway coin-ops ever? The squished GBA versions were OK, but big screen would be awesome.

LakeEarth

Hopefully these games are successful enough for a full out remake of the Intellevision's "Tron : Deadly Discs".

iclash

I want an update of "Deadly Discs of Tron" (I think that's what it was called). It was on Intelevision. You were in an room that had doors on all 4 sides. Wave after wave of baddies with discs came through the doors. You could jam up the doors with your disc or take on the baddies. I spent lots of time on this game as a kid. Is the arcade game similar to this?

womp

iclash said:
I want an update of "Deadly Discs of Tron" (I think that's what it was called). It was on Intelevision. You were in an room that had doors on all 4 sides. Wave after wave of baddies with discs came through the doors. You could jam up the doors with your disc or take on the baddies. I spent lots of time on this game as a kid. Is the arcade game similar to this?

Absolutely amazing game. Hitting one million points was basically your death since that triggered the uber tough guards to come out though.

iclash

womp said:
Absolutely amazing game. Hitting one million points was basically your death since that triggered the uber tough guards to come out though.

I remember that. Instead of discs, the guys had stun sticks, they'd stun you and the game would be over. Great reward for all the effort. It would be like Master Chief getting sniped at the end of Halo and then the credits roll.

Nikashi

Banned
I got the demo for Tron on XBLA and they FUCKED the sound as it relates to the 'music'. It sounds absolutely terrible now. This isn't nostalgia talking either, I get to play a real Tron machine on a regular basis.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Deploy, Engage and Win with “Commanders: Attack of the Genos” and Help Tron Destroy the Evil Sark in “Discs of Tron” – Both Games Launching on Xbox LIVE Arcade this Wednesday!

This week, players can experience a strategy game like no other on Xbox LIVE Arcade when Sierra Online and SouthEnd Interactive launch "Commanders: Attack of the Genos.” Additionally, an arcade classic returns with “Discs of Tron” from Disney Interactive Studios and Backbone Entertainment, an updated faithful recreation of the famed cabinet game with HD graphics and enhanced sound. Both “Commanders: Attack of the Genos” and “Discs of Tron” launch this Wednesday, February 13 at 9:00 a.m. GMT (1:00 a.m. PST).

“Commanders: Attack of the Genos” is a fast-paced turn-based strategy game featuring an art deco look and tongue-in-cheek storyline. The game requires players to devise a masterful tactical battle strategy to both cripple the enemy and defend their territory from genos, a genetically modified super race. Fight alongside a powerful Commander, which serves as a hero unit, in the 15-mission campaign with an arsenal of weapons including missile launchers, bombers and infantry in this turn-based strategy game.

Featuring a 1930’s art deco look and feel, “Commanders: Attack of the Genos” offers two unique endings, two difficulty levels and 15 diverse playable units to keep gamers coming back for more. “Commanders: Attack of the Genos” allows players to either challenge or team up with three friends in battle locally or over Xbox LIVE. The game will be available worldwide (with the exception of Japan and Korea) for 800 Microsoft Points and is rated E10+ by the ESRB.

For more details on “Commanders: Attack of the Genos” please visit:

* http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/c/commandersxboxlivearcade/

In “Discs of Tron,” gamers play as Tron in an attempt to defeat the evil Sark in an electronic battleground, using the iconic disc weapon. Survive 12 levels of Sark’s attacks in the single-player campaign or grab a friend and face off in multiplayer mode over Xbox LIVE to discover the true disc champion.

Releasing simultaneously with “Discs of Tron” is downloadable content consisting of a theme and gamer pic pack, which contains images of Tron, a red soldier and the disc platforms from the game. “Discs of Tron” will be available worldwide (with the exception of Japan and Korea) for 400 Microsoft Points and is rated “E” for Everyone by the ESRB.

For more details on “Discs of Tron” please visit:

* http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/d/discsoftronxboxlivearcade/

terrene

Banned
Nikashi said:
I got the demo for Tron on XBLA and they FUCKED the sound as it relates to the 'music'. It sounds absolutely terrible now. This isn't nostalgia talking either, I get to play a real Tron machine on a regular basis.
Fuck yeah they did. I blind-bought Tron because it's such a beloved chapter in my gaming history. I don't know how they messed up the sound that bad - I remember MAME getting it right in like 1997 - and that project is open-fucking-source!! :(

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Discs of Tron; IGN XBOX 360 Review

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/851/851332p1.html

Closing Comments
The original Discs of Tron is one of my favorite games ever made. Anyone who only experiences Discs of Tron through this poor port won't understand why this game was ever held in high regard. It's a shame that a classic could be given such poor treatment with meager graphics, bad sound, and inaccurate controls. The one new element, the online multiplayer, runs poorly and is no fun to play. All-in-all, one of the worst XBLA ports to date.

IGN Ratings for Discs of TRON (X360)
Rating Description See Our Glorious Home Theater Setup!
out of 10 click here for ratings guideGet Ratings Information

4.0 Presentation
It's like being in the arcade again. But it should be like being on Xbox Live Arcade.

2.5 Graphics
The upgrades are terrible. No refinement to the characters, platforms or special effects. One of the worst-looking XBLA games.

2.0 Sound
How is it possible to have worse sound than what you got from an early '80s arcade cabinet?

5.0 Gameplay
The brilliance of the original arcade game shines through at times, but the poor control scheme ruins the overall experience.

2.0 Lasting Appeal
You won't want to play this for long. Multiplayer doesn't extend the experience since it's handled so poorly.

Bad OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Damn you Other Ocean, where did you stuff all of the SOTN programmers?

womp

They weren't getting me for another 400 pts.

Sorry, I learned my lesson and after trying the demo...Another terrible release.

A shame they can't get guys who actually have respect for these old games to do the ports for them. I have a feeling most of the guys behind the development and programming of these TRON XBLA game ports and certain other classic ports/emulation were barely even born when the originals were even in the arcade and simply don't give a crap and just using these games as gigs to get to a bigger project.

It's pathetic. I guess these older "primitive" titles are just too advanced for them to handle.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
womp said:
They weren't getting me for another 400 pts.

Sorry, I learned my lesson and after trying the demo...Another terrible release.

A shame they can't get guys who actually have respect for these old games to do the ports for them. I have a feeling most of the guys behind the development and programming of these TRON XBLA game ports and certain other classic ports/emulation were barely even born when the originals were even in the arcade and simply don't give a crap and just using these games as gigs to get to a bigger project.

It's pathetic. I guess these older "primitive" titles are just too advanced for them to handle.

Well, in a way you are correct, at least with the Tron games, both of them used some very unique arcade controls that can't really be replicated at home.

womp

Shard said:
Well, in a way you are correct, at least with the Tron games, both of them used some very unquie arcade controls that can't really be replicated at home.

Of course, but the kicker here is that even if the 360 had knob controls the games are still "off". I played the hell out of them as a kid, the fact they messed up the damn music in Tron right off the bat is just sloppy.

It just blows my mind how that in this day and age we still can't get 100% classic gaming ports or emulation.

Top Bottom