• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

II Etrian Odyssey 2 thread of nobody's gonna buy it cause they didn't finish EO

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
611LOvSabeL._SS400_.jpg

The epic quest of Fight and Heal continues in Etrian Odyssey 2! How will shoot deal with her new epic rival ShootGun?

Translation Guide I'm working on. Yes, it will take time.
http://eo2.wikidot.com/

Famitsu Review
* Well-balanced, you can't let your guard down even against small fry
* Mapping is fun
* Happy about upgraded tools
* Compass addition is a plus
* One quicksave slot
* Skill balance is tweaked, jobs are more varied than last time

Famitsu Score
Etrian Odyssey 2 = 9/9/8/8

Awesome leeched-from-Amazon pictures!
51iAoJ7d6FL._SS400_.jpg

51e4X0t2j6L._SS400_.jpg

51G5HQTnUTL._SS400_.jpg

51I2d1WXG-L._SS400_.jpg

51%2Bwr8vACxL._AA280_.jpg

New classes!
Gunner
Doctor Magus
Pet

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The game is still relentless.

The music is great too. If I can remember correctly, it seems like they improved the framerate as well.

Pet's aren't creatable at the beginning of the game, but everything else is.

Takuhi

Hey now, I'm TOTALLY going to buy it. Already preordered it, in fact!

It's just that I'm not going to play it until I finish EO in 2011.

firex

I'll buy the english version for sure. I even have my party planned out, although I'm not completely settled on my starting 5.

Arde5643

Day 1 for sure.

Bought EO1 on a whim, especially with the mixed reviews surrounding it, but I end up addicted badly to it.

Doytch

I know it totally goes against what this kind of game is supposed to be, but not being able to save anywhere wrecked it for me. I picked it up over the Christmas break and loved it(got past the first boss), but if I can't save my game when I'm about to get off my train, I can't really play it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Doytch said:
I know it totally goes against what this kind of game is supposed to be, but not being able to save anywhere wrecked it for me. I picked it up over the Christmas break and loved it(got past the first boss), but if I can't save my game when I'm about to get off my train, I can't really play it.

You can do this now.

The beginning of the game asks for your password from 1, so you probably don't need to finish the game in order to play this one. I started from scratch.

exarkun

Quick Question: I was looking at buying this game, but I haven't played EO 1 (I bought Golden Sun 2 before Golden Sun 1 too) and the comments seems to make it look like its a long game. Is everyone that lazy as to not finish it or are these two games just really long? And how long am I looking at?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I liked EO, but I hope there is some level of streamlining here. I appreciate the extreme difficulty level, but I felt that the skill trees were a little too arcane in EO. I'd also like to see more in-battle animation; obviously this isn't the focus of the game, but it wouldn't hurt.

Cedille

My biggest complaint with the first game is the later floors were so easy that I rarely got stuck (26-30 are hard though).

I just want to see if Atlus fixes it this time.

Arde5643

Stumpokapow said:
I liked EO, but I hope there is some level of streamlining here. I appreciate the extreme difficulty level, but I felt that the skill trees were a little too arcane in EO. I'd also like to see more in-battle animation; obviously this isn't the focus of the game, but it wouldn't hurt.
If they do have animation, please make it optional since I really like how streamlined battles are in EO - press and hold A to keep doing the same thing you just did. :D

Battles in most RPGs probably takes 5-10 times longer than battles in EO.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Arde5643 said:
If they do have animation, please make it optional since I really like how streamlined battles are in EO - press and hold A to keep doing the same thing you just did. :D

Battles in most RPGs probably takes 5-10 times longer than battles in EO.

I agree, actually. That's a pretty easy toggle option though.

mutsu

Broke down and had mine preordered. I didn't play the first at all, so I know I am going to have a hard time with this one. However I know that I am going to enjoy the suffering.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
This game is OUT?

I cannot fucking wait. I need to get back to EO and finish maxing out my guys, assuming they port over intact into the new game.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I probably shouldn't buy a long dungeon game when I have the backlog that I do, but I'm so tempted.
Fuck the OP for making this thread and reminding me of this game coming out today. "/

At least I'll be able to get the Soma Bringer Demo! I think!

Mejilan said:
This game is OUT?

I cannot fucking wait. I need to get back to EO and finish maxing out my guys, assuming they port over intact into the new game.

Yes, today in Japan.

No official US announcement yet -- Where's NichM when you need him?

RevenantKioku said:
I probably shouldn't buy a long dungeon game when I have the backlog that I do, but I'm so tempted.
Fuck the OP for making this thread and reminding me of this game coming out today. "/

At least I'll be able to get the Soma Bringer Demo! I think!

Want me to ban him for you? That'd learn 'im.

So uh, too lazy to go back and finish the first (save got corrupted = temper tantrum). How story heavy did it get after floor 16ish?I was thinking of just getting this anyways and not looking back.

lyre

Can't wait! First day for me in english that's for sure.

And to commemorate this day, art for the characters that were in previous japanese weekly scans:

eobellz179.png

eofight835.png

eoheal303.png

eogunners799.png

eopetz553.png
eopet225.png

And what have they done to my favourite Survivalist/Ranger?? ;_;
survivalistf629.png

lyre

legend166 said:
How far into EO1 am I?

My characters are around level 30 and I'm on BF9 I think. I'm stuck though. D:
You're hardly scratching the surface. :lol :lol :lol

Aeana

Yeah... I bought the original in Japanese, and didn't end up playing very much because I had too many other games to play. Not until it came out in English did I really give it some serious play time. I don't really want to buy this one twice, so I'll just get the English version and support Atlus USA in the process.

firex

you weaklings! I just beat the last boss of the optional stuff after you beat the main game like a week ago. But seriously, the game to me didn't really get much of a story until the 4th stratum on. And even then it kind of disappears after the 5th stratum, although it makes sense why.

Boy, that thread title struck a nerve! Seriously, I'm going to get to the last stratum....eventually.......I was almost at the boss of the 4th stratum when I put it down. Now I just have to find the damn thing......

The story development on the 5th stratum was a real shocker, SPOILER:
Does it really take place in the future?
but does it really develop further? I hope I'm not disappointed...

The male gunner art looks awesome. I am definitely recruiting the bearded guy.

I'm still working my way through the first one D:

Question why is it being called Etrian Odyssey II when it doesn't take place in Etria? Why not call it [insert new town name here] Odyssey.

I love the gunner in the blue outfit with the Jack Frost pin on her hat.

Death_Born said:
The story development on the 4th stratum was a real shocker, SPOILER:
Does it really take place in the future?
but does it really develop further? I hope I'm not disappointed...

Yes

ethelred

Yay. I'm glad at least some people here are buying Etrian Odyssey II! Sporks and RK, you're good folk.

Dragona Akehi said:
GOTY two years running bitches.

Well, it just barely missed out last year -- close runner up. Definitely GOTY this year, though, unless Dragon Quest IX does make it out. Then all bets are off. Either way, go Atlus.

ethelred said:
Well, it just barely missed out last year -- close runner up. Definitely GOTY this year, though, unless Dragon Quest IX does make it out. Then all bets are off. Either way, go Atlus.

Hmm, I forgot about DQIX. If that does come out, there could be trouble, I suppose.

But for me, EO was far and beyond the best game of 2007.

gururoji

There's a 4th and 5th stratum? Holy crap!

/goes back to playing EO1

P.S. Will buy in English, unless you guys come up with some extremely compelling argument for me importing.

ethelred

Dragona Akehi said:
Hmm, I forgot about DQIX. If that does come out, there could be trouble, I suppose.

But for me, EO was far and beyond the best game of 2007.

I honestly had a hard time deciding between Persona 3, Etrian Odyssey, and Radiant Dawn. I loved all three, and all three provided me with tons of playtime and challenge; they completely absorbed me into their respective experiences. Though Etrian Odyssey did get bonus points for being portable.

ethelred said:
I honestly had a hard time deciding between Persona 3, Etrian Odyssey, and Radiant Dawn. I loved all three, and all three provided me with tons of playtime and challenge; they completely absorbed me into their respective experiences. Though Etrian Odyssey did get bonus points for being portable.

For me, it is because EO was something (old but) new (again). One of the most creative and refreshing games I've played since, perhaps, BOFV.

Hoo boy. I almost died when I realized that EO was the only thing unaccounted for in my pile o' games. Then I found it in the back of a drawer 5 minutes later, purely by luck.

lyre

jaundicejuice said:
Question why is it being called Etrian Odyssey II when it doesn't take place in Etria? Why not call it [insert new town name here] Odyssey.

Probably for recognition. Not many people knew the game existed in the first place, and probably even less will realise a sequel was released. :p

Anyways, things missing from this thread;

Links:
http://www.atlusnet.jp/express/0802/s2_01.html
http://www.atlusnet.jp/express/0802/s2_02.html
http://s2.atlusnet.jp/

And more art! :D

Survivalists
eoarrowm239.png
eoarrowf2176.png
eoarrow205.png

Protector
eoshield932.png

Alchemist
eomagic627.png

Dark Hunter
eowhip918.png
eowhipf382.png
eowhipf1118.png

Troubador <3
eosing927.png

Traps

Ronin
eoslash706.png
eoslashf2701.png

Doctor Magus
eomagus128.png
eomagusf417.png

Finishing up B24F here too!

I've been heavily starved from a lack of EO2 info for the past couple of weeks. It's been pretty bad for us aside from occasional website updates and Famitsu scoops. Hopefully this'll change in the coming weeks.

Anyone else thinking about importing Stateside and working your way around a foreign language? If there are as few puzzles which can be figured out without needing to read as in EO1, it might be a viable option.

NolbertoS

I feel bad that I got bored with it already and I'm only on Floor 20. I can't stomach grinding levels anymore in the game, just wish to make it to the end and beat the final boss. I'll still get Etrian Odyssey 2 though, I'm a sucker for JRPG's even if I never complete them.

Top Bottom