• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Unleashed Wii News

Setanta

From the latest edition of Official Nintendo Magazine (UK&IRL):
(Since there can be no scans)

- Screenshots of the Wii version basically identical to what we have seen on the net of the game so far

- Wii version described as "Shiny next-gen visuals"

- The werewolf Sonic sections are "slightly slower, yet a more agile beast" than the ordinary Sonic sections

- A one page interview with the games Lead Designer, Yoshihisa Hashimoto. Describes the game as no relation to Secret Rings or original 360/PS3 Sonic title- "more in common to Sonic Adventure titles".

- Yoshihisa says that as well as the Wii Remote "players will also be using the Nunchuck"

MisterHero

Hopefully it plays good.

Though seeing as it's a game that's supposed to be in line with other platform versions it might not make incredible use of the Wii's strengths.

Setanta said:
From the latest edition of Official Nintendo Magazine (UK&IRL):
(Since there can be no scans)

- Screenshots of the Wii version basically identical to what we have seen on the net of the game so far

- Wii version described as "Shiny next-gen visuals"

- The werewolf Sonic sections are "slightly slower, yet a more agile beast" than the ordinary Sonic sections

- A one page interview with the games Lead Designer, Yoshihisa Hashimoto. Describes the game as no relation to Secret Rings or original 360/PS3 Sonic title- "more in common to Sonic Adventure titles".

- Yoshihisa says that as well as the Wii Remote "players will also be using the Nunchuck"

Tiny spark of light has appeared

Culex

Banned
I'll believe it when I see it. If it really looks on par with the PS3/360 versions, then there's no way it will run at 480p and widescreen.

ethelred

Setanta said:
Lead Designer, Yoshihisa Hashimoto. Describes the game as no relation to Secret Rings or original 360/PS3 Sonic title- "more in common to Sonic Adventure titles".

Interesting. I looked up his prior credits:

Sonic Adventure 2 - lead chao programmer
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle - lead chao programmer
Sonic Advance - programmer
Sonic Pinball Party - programmer
Sonic Adventure DX - A-Life system director

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Raide said:
"slightly slower, yet a more agile beast"

Who-the-what now? :lol :lol

agility and speed are not the same thing... if that's what you're laughing about.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Interested to know more about how the developers are going about the platform split. Are two separate teams making the HD and Wii/PS2 versions? Is the same team doing both?

schuelma said:
Interested to know more about how the developers are going about the platform split. Are two separate teams making the HD and Wii/PS2 versions? Is the same team doing both?

If this news is true then it's like this:

Wii is lead platform that will be upscaled to the PS3/360 and downscaled to the PS2.
It actually wouldn't be the first time this has happened (Rayman Raving Rabbids also did this).

papelnabangka said:
Unless the Wii was lead platform, NO WAY it looks similar to the PS360 version, technically anyway.

the wii probably was the lead platform, the screens dont look that good for a ps360 game

sega do actually make all their money on wii ya know

Setanta

papelnabangka said:
Unless the Wii was lead platform, NO WAY it looks similar to the PS360 version, technically anyway.

I am looking at the Wii screenshots now and they are virtually identical to what we have all seen.
The new screens look well too and from what i can see are reminiscent to Mario Galaxy's 'Lighting effects' to some extent.

schuelma

AceBandage said:
If this news is true then it's like this:

Wii is lead platform that will be upscaled to the PS3/360 and downscaled to the PS2.
It actually wouldn't be the first time this has happened (Rayman Raving Rabbids also did this).

I really really doubt that.

schuelma said:

I dunno, as others have said, the Wii has the largest Sonic fanbase out of all the system.
It would make the most sense.
Of course, that's a good argument against it, since Sega never does what makes the most sense.

Threi

notag
Setanta said:
I am looking at the Wii screenshots now and they are virtually identical to what we have all seen.
The new screens look well too and from what i can see are reminiscent to Mario Galaxy's 'Lighting effects' to some extent.

PM it to me.

Setanta said:
They are either lying or lead to believe bullshots are in game then.

Also, pm, if possible. Thanks.

AceBandage said:
I dunno, as others have said, the Wii has the largest Sonic fanbase out of all the system.
It would make the most sense.
Of course, that's a good argument against it, since Sega never does what makes the most sense.

:lol :lol :lol

The last part is so true!

schuelma

frankie_baby said:
why wouldn't sega make wii the lead platform, it'll probably outsell all other versions combined

Yes it probably will, but color me skeptical, especially given the screenshots we've seen so far.

Setanta

levious said:
agility and speed are not the same thing... if that's what you're laughing about.

About the 'Weresonic' it is mentioned-

"Where Sonic dodges past obstacles, Were-Sonic manhandles them out of the way and can toss enemies around like nobody's business."

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
schuelma said:

People have been saying "Wii is lead platform" since the original thread and I've been lolling hard.

Frankly, I can't understand the conclusion that the next-gen sonic game "doesn't look that good." Are people serious? What are you looking for in a video game if you don't think it looks excellent?

I would like to see the wii version though so I can determine for myself; frankly, I am a little critical of ONM.

Teknoman

At least we wont get anymore "HAR HAR PeeEssToo Graphix 4 you" for the Wii version. Its kinda a good thing that the Wii version could be the lead, even though that one Sega guy said that everything else they've shown was from the 360 version. That way, maybe other developers will see that if even Sega is trying this hard to push the system graphically...

And yes the game does look really really good in the screenshots (no HQ movies yet).

JDSN

Banned
schuelma said:

Well the Wii version will probably sell more than PS3/360 combined so I dont see why is so hard to think that, but then again the game looks really good graphically.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
PantherLotus said:
"basically identical"

That sticks out to me for some reason.

13096999xy.jpg

levious said:

speed
1. rapidity in moving, going, traveling, proceeding, or performing; swiftness; celerity: the speed of light; the speed of sound.
2. relative rapidity in moving, going, etc.; rate of motion or progress: full speed ahead.
3. full, maximum, or optimum rate of motion: The car gets to speed in just nine seconds.

agility
1. the power of moving quickly and easily; nimbleness: exercises demanding agility.
2. the ability to think and draw conclusions quickly; intellectual acuity.

I wouldn't put it beyond ONM to print the PS3/360 screens :lol

Still, I can believe a scaled down version of what we've seen on the other platforms would still look very good. So maybe...

schuelma

JDSN said:
Well the Wii version will probably sell more than PS3/360 combined so I dont see why is so hard to think that, but then again this is on ONM.

I've looked at the screens- those don't look "ported up" at all. It looks like a very nice looking 360/PS3 game.

Teknoman

virtuafightermaster said:
Shiny next-gen visual on a SDTV maybe.

Not mentioning this is from Nintendo magazine claim Wii graphic is same as PS360:lol

Progressive scan >_>
Its not as strong as the other two, but it can put out some nice looking stuff when pushed. Better looking than anything last console cycle generated, so it'll be shiny next-gen even on an HDTV.

flamesofchaos said:
speed
1. rapidity in moving, going, traveling, proceeding, or performing; swiftness; celerity: the speed of light; the speed of sound.
2. relative rapidity in moving, going, etc.; rate of motion or progress: full speed ahead.
3. full, maximum, or optimum rate of motion: The car gets to speed in just nine seconds.

agility
1. the power of moving quickly and easily; nimbleness: exercises demanding agility.
2. the ability to think and draw conclusions quickly; intellectual acuity.

Maybe Were-Sonic will have more... action akin to that SNES Aladdin game or Prince of Persia? What I mean is swinging and flipping off pipes, poles, etc.

Threi

notag
Y2Kev said:
People have been saying "Wii is lead platform" since the original thread and I've been lolling hard.

Frankly, I can't understand the conclusion that the next-gen sonic game "doesn't look that good." Are people serious? What are you looking for in a video game if you don't think it looks excellent?

I would like to see the wii version though so I can determine for myself; frankly, I am a little critical of ONM.

To be fair looking at the original screens i believe aside from the sonic model, the environment is a little low poly (for PS360 standards). All the lighting effects are present, but I think the polycount of the environments could be better on the HD consoles. I'm not going to say that Wii is the lead platform, but i think the PS360 versions were built with the possibility of porting to less powerful consoles in mind.

Top Bottom