• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Unleashed Wii News

Setanta

Phife Dawg said:
Cautiously optimistic here.

SEGA Superstar Tennis should give you an idea...

I haven't seen the scans but if it does indeed look like the stuff we've seen before they are probably screens from the 360/PS3 build then - it's ONM after all.

No, they are screens from the Wii build and new screens too. Plus the magazine does say "Hands on" with the game and do give hands on details with the Wii version,as well as having an Interview with the Lead Designer of the Wii version.

Sega could easily provide bullshots to ONM. ONM were more than happy to print the Red Steel ones with an exclusive hands-on. Different company, but it could happen again.

nightside

JonathanEx said:
Sega could easily provide bullshots to ONM. ONM were more than happy to print the Red Steel ones with an exclusive hands-on. Different company, but it could happen again.

wasn't that game informer?

VAIL

hokahey said:
Here's what I said:

Dammit. I want to see these screens. Can someone PM me a link or something?

Those are two different thoughts. The first is me stating my desire to see the screens. The second is me asking if someone would PM me a link. I often times like to receive random links from strangers on message boards. The two sentences are completely unrelated. Completely.

Pardon me, but that was clever.
lulz

SuperAndroid17 said:
Tiny spark of light has appeared

Don't trust the light

femal%20angler%20fish.jpg

I have this issue and I'm dubious of the screenshots. They look practically identical to the ones shown so far, and as far as I'm concerned almost all of them may as well be the same. The HUD is the same size as the 360/PS3 build - which would mean a blurry mess in the corner of the screen on the Wii - yet in these screans they're crystal clear.

The models look slightly lower poly and some background elements are on par with GC/Wii level (like flat alpha mapped textures for foliage, etc).

... excuse me, I must go sign for this truckload of salt that just turned up.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ONM WORLD EXCLUSIVE ON SONIC WII

--It's coming to Wii
--It stars Sonic
--"Prominent Sonic lore" will be "featured"
--The game will be a mix of game styles
--Those styles will be included in the game
--The game will cost $49.99 (but they don't guarantee it)
--The cover will have sonic on the box

Y2Kev said:
ONM WORLD EXCLUSIVE ON SONIC WII

--It's coming to Wii
--It stars Sonic
--"Prominent Sonic lore" will be "featured"
--The game will be a mix of game styles
--Those styles will be included in the game
--The game will cost $49.99 (but they don't guarantee it)
--The cover will have sonic on the box

why the hell would ONM say an american price?

jarrod

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
SEGA Superstar Tennis should give you an idea...
Actually, that game started out as a Wii conversion of VT3.

Sumo did 3 builds for it across platforms, and Wii was the lead for it's build (which was then downported to PS2). The Wii version's tracking best sales wise too so far.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I have this issue and I'm dubious of the screenshots. They look practically identical to the ones shown so far, and as far as I'm concerned they're the same. The HUD is the same size as the 360/PS3 build - which would mean a blurry mess in the corner of the screen on the Wii - yet in these screans they're crystal clear.
That's the tip off right there. The Wii version is going to feature a larger HUD. If you compress a 720p image of the game down to 640x480 (actual Wii resolution) then stretch it to 853x480 you'll see that the HUD becomes somewhat garbled.

If they are indeed displaying pictures with the same HUD as the original shots we can take that to mean that those shots are not taken from the Wii version.

shinsnake

Banned
dark10x said:
That's the tip off right there. The Wii version is going to feature a larger HUD. If you compress a 720p image of the game down to 640x480 (actual Wii resolution) then stretch it to 853x480 you'll see that the HUD becomes somewhat garbled.

If they are indeed displaying pictures with the same HUD as the original shots we can take that to mean that those shots are not taken from the Wii version.

Or, it could mean that the Wii HUD and HD HUD's are scaled to match their resolutions. You know, you can have a 480 picture and a 720 picture and a portion of the screen can actually be the same proportion to the rest of the screen.

That said, I'll believe it when I'm playing it.

assuming the screenshots I'm watching right now are from the Wii version (they come from a SU Wii page) must admit it looks pretty damn good and yes, similar to the 360/PS3 version

Gagaman

Why wouldn't they make the Wii version the main build? They've had far better sales with their Wii line up so far than their 360/PS3 games, with them having to close down a whole studio based on the poor sales of their first game Sega Rally Revo, while I can't walk into a games shop without seeing Sega games flooding the Wii best sellers chart.

I've seen one of the ODM page scans, and the screens shown there are defiantly the same as the leaked ones, so I'd be surprised if they were the Wii shots. I can't see the Wii version looking all too different either way, but those screens were clearly HD with very fancy lighting.

Sciz

Yoshihisa Hashimoto. Huh. This makes me wonder just what Ogawa is up to. Clearly the dust hasn't settled from Naka's departure yet.

And do I ever want to see werehog gameplay footage now. "Slower and more agile" brings to mind either Heroes-style combat or methodical, classic platforming, and I'm pretty sure it won't be either of those.

Threi

notag
Anasui Kishibe said:
assuming the screenshots I'm watching right now are from the Wii version (they come from a SU Wii page) must admit it looks pretty damn good and yes, similar to the 360/PS3 version

hay guy

rezuth

I dont want to get my hopes up high but the Wii can easily do Sonic Unleashed if they poly-downgrade the enviorements a bit+fake lightning. The screenshots could just be target renders.

jdforge

Banned
I'm reading ONM right now. The Sonic model has similar if not exactly the same rim lighting effects seen in Super Mario Galaxy. Eveything looks pretty clean, colourful and vibrant. Actually quite impressive.

needlejuice said:
I'm reading ONM right now. The Sonic model has similar if not exactly the same rim lighting effects seen in Super Mario Galaxy. Eveything looks pretty clean, colourful and vibrant. Actually quite impressive.

The article and corresponding screens are so good, I've decided to frame them.

are you a subscriber or is it available in stores yet?

Sciz

I just had a thought. According to another summary of the article that's floating around, Unleashed was originally being planned as Sonic Adventure 3. Also, Hashimoto's prior credits largely involve programming the chao.

I probably shouldn't get my hopes up.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Gagaman said:
Why wouldn't they make the Wii version the main build? They've had far better sales with their Wii line up so far than their 360/PS3 games, with them having to close down a whole studio based on the poor sales of their first game Sega Rally Revo, while I can't walk into a games shop without seeing Sega games flooding the Wii best sellers chart.

I've seen one of the ODM page scans, and the screens shown there are defiantly the same as the leaked ones, so I'd be surprised if they were the Wii shots. I can't see the Wii version looking all too different either way, but those screens were clearly HD with very fancy lighting.

Because it is easier to produce the title on the PS3 and 360, and then downgrade it for a PS2/Wii port. Instead of having to upgrade it to 360/PS3 or ship it with substandard graphics

Sciz said:
I just had a thought. According to another summary of the article that's floating around, Unleashed was originally being planned as Sonic Adventure 3. Also, Hashimoto's prior credits largely involve programming the chao.

I probably shouldn't get my hopes up.
Well seeing as how bad SA2 was I'd be trying to expect another piece of shit. The Sega fanboy inside of me is making it really hard.

shinsnake

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Because it is easier to produce the title on the PS3 and 360, and then downgrade it for a PS2/Wii port. Instead of having to upgrade it to 360/PS3 or ship it with substandard graphics

No, apparently that's impossible. Ask any Wii third party developer except for Sega. It's always PS2 to Wii and PS3/360 separate. Hell, some people even defend that and blame Nintendo for gimped versions that could be done on the Wii.

wazoo

I fear that it may come as a new development process for many japanese firms. Wii first, then upping the resolution for the HD console, considering the sales of Wii in Japan and their general lack of tech capabilities today.

jarrod

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Actually it's definitely easier to do the reverse, and cater to the lowest common denominator (which would be PS2 in this case).

Honestly though, when dealing with machines with such a large disparity in performance, dual builds really make the most sense (so 360/PS3 & Wii/PS2), with an overall game design that accomodates them all. Just be glad it's not Renderware again. ;)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
krypt0nian said:
Under no circumstance does SD content look "amazing" in HD. Great scaler or no scaler.

The best you can hope for is serviceable.
What about "not SD but not HD either" resolutions?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
poppabk said:
What about "not SD but not HD either" resolutions?
To what are you referring to? That certainly doesn't apply to the Wii (which renders at 640x480).

I am glad its not like secret rings I was worried a bit there. More like Adventure is awesome, especially if its all sonic levels (I can live with werehog.).

Threi

notag
so there's a new revelation about the number of pixels the Wii can output? Because that is the only way this old, obvious-to-all-but-the-most-oblivious-fanboy discussion can be justified. I think everyone knows by now the image quality of the Wii.

Teknoman

MiamiWesker said:
I am glad its not like secret rings I was worried a bit there. More like Adventure is awesome, especially if its all sonic levels (I can live with werehog.).

Where do the Sonic Adventure comparisons come in at though? The game doesnt play anything like it from whats been shown.

Top Bottom