• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Unleashed Wii News

wsippel

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Frankly, I can't understand the conclusion that the next-gen sonic game "doesn't look that good." Are people serious? What are you looking for in a video game if you don't think it looks excellent?
The game looks great because of the lighting. The lighting seems to be baked, though - not realtime.

JDSN

Banned
schuelma said:
I've looked at the screens- those don't look "ported up" at all. It looks like a very nice looking 360/PS3 game.

Looks like I edited my post too late. :lol

SlayrUK

Damn ONM UK for having the nintendo logo being made on the spine of the magazines.. i recon it's gonna be another 15 issues until it's fully complete and i can cancel my subscription. Barely read the things....

Yes.. i know.... i'm part of the problem.. ...

Teknoman

wsippel said:
The game looks great because of the lighting. The lighting seems to be baked, though - not realtime.

As long as it looks good when im playing it on whatever system I manage to try the game on, im good.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=4020

Sonic Unleashed's Big Secret Revealed!
The truth behind the werewolf teaser trailer
18 Comments
So you may have already seen yesterday's Sonic Unleashed teaser trailer featuring a mysterious werewolf. Today we can reveal that the werewolf is Sonic!

By day Sonic will be the blue hedgehog we all know and love but, when the sun sets, he turns into a werehog with claws and fangs.

This does make a difference to the gameplay as the werehog is slower but stronger, meaning he can swing around levels, move obstacles and hurl enemies around.

You can read more about the werehog in the new issue of Official Nintendo Magazine which goes on sale on Friday. Featuring an exclusive preview of Sonic Unleashed an an interview with the game's designer, Yoshihisa Hashimoto, ONM 29 is a must-read issue.

What?! ONM are seriously trying to act as if they are actually revealing something WE ALL KNEW ALL ALONG.

Oh wait that's just what they've been doing for the last 28 issues

screenshot_8237.jpg

castle007 said:
Yeah, I am guessing the main platform is Wii since they are giving ONM an exclusive preview.
Play magazine also have an exclusive first preview too, I think...

And they'll give ONM it because ONM are arselickers

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
flamesofchaos said:
speed
1. rapidity in moving, going, traveling, proceeding, or performing; swiftness; celerity: the speed of light; the speed of sound.
2. relative rapidity in moving, going, etc.; rate of motion or progress: full speed ahead.
3. full, maximum, or optimum rate of motion: The car gets to speed in just nine seconds.

agility
1. the power of moving quickly and easily; nimbleness: exercises demanding agility.
2. the ability to think and draw conclusions quickly; intellectual acuity.

uh, thanks?

Teknoman

JonathanEx said:
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=4020

What?! ONM are seriously trying to act as if they are actually revealing something WE ALL KNEW ALL ALONG.

Oh wait that's just what they've been doing for the last 28 issues

screenshot_8237.jpg

lol yeah. Most people probably figured this stuff out when the pictures first hit. That and the were-sonic gameplay actually sounds like...fun? Seriously, if they manage to pull that section off right, this could be a really nice Sonic game. It'll be like Sonic by day and maybe Donkey Kong Country meets Prince of Persia by night.

Haunted

The graphics of the 360/PS3 version we've seen looked great for a Sonic game, imo. I highly doubt that the Wii version loks anywhere near those. If it does, major kudos to Sega.

Still, it's a game with a fucking were-hedgehog, and an all-new combat engine made by Sonic Team, I don't really know why Sonic fans fall into the same trap again and again.

PantherLotus said:
:lol :lol

nightside

Threi said:
To be fair looking at the original screens i believe aside from the sonic model, the environment is a little low poly (for PS360 standards). All the lighting effects are present, but I think the polycount of the environments could be better on the HD consoles. I'm not going to say that Wii is the lead platform, but i think the PS360 versions were built with the possibility of porting to less powerful consoles in mind.

my thoughts exactly...plus, sonic model looks low poly too compared to sonic06

TreIII

AceBandage said:
If this news is true then it's like this:

Wii is lead platform that will be upscaled to the PS3/360 and downscaled to the PS2.
It actually wouldn't be the first time this has happened (Rayman Raving Rabbids also did this).

Not to mention that past Sonic titles perpetuated this behavior (Sonic Heroes and ShTH).

In the end, it's like I thought; the Wii is the main SKU, and from there, the "Hedgehog Engine" (Sega's new buzz word for a Renderware type of thing) can be upscaled to prettier on the PS3/360, and downscaled to atone for the PS2.

Through this, Sonic still gets his next-gen presence, but Sega obviously knew that the Wii and PS2 versions were going to outsell the PS3/360 versions.

Threi

notag
nightside said:
yep.

ehm, may I have a PM too:lol?
Well i was referring to the PS360 leaked screens.

I am still waiting on a PM for mah illegal Wii version scanz cuz im a PIRATE ARRRRRRR

PantherLotus said:
Dr. Sonic, Mr. Hedgehog.

:(

This is the story of Dr. Sonic and Mr. Hedge
They are a person who feels good to be alive
This is the story of Dr. Sonic and Mr. Hedge
Believes the underdog will eventually survive

Teknoman

Haunted One said:
The graphics of the 360/PS3 version we've seen looked great for a Sonic game, imo. I highly doubt that the Wii version loks anywhere near those. If it does, major kudos to Sega.

Still, it's a game with a fucking were-hedgehog, and an all-new combat engine made by Sonic Team, I don't really know why Sonic fans fall into the same trap again and again.

:lol :lol

Because it could possibly be good? Its not like everyone is going to immediatly write off the game just because of that. I dont think anyone has fallen into any real traps yet though. People are still waiting for a demo before they just 100% submit to purchasing it.

Setanta

And......
- "Tails and Amy pop up"

From the mouth of Hashimoto:

- Two main elements "Evolution and Bold Change"

- 3 new moves "Sonic Boost", "Sonic Drift" and "Quick step"

rezuth

Setanta said:
I am looking at the Wii screenshots now and they are virtually identical to what we have all seen.
The new screens look well too and from what i can see are reminiscent to Mario Galaxy's 'Lighting effects' to some extent.
Are these avaible somewhere?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
oh whatever. so he's cursed and he needs to defeat something or another to break it.
or whatever. it's not the first nor the last time this will be used in: books, movies, tv, games, etc

jman2050

Setanta said:
And......
- "Tails and Amy pop up"

From the mouth of Hashimoto:

- Two main elements "Evolution and Bold Change"

- 3 new moves "Sonic Boost", "Sonic Drift" and "Quick step"

So they're adding even more moves and elements to an already bloated gameplay scheme?

Did these guys even *play* the Genesis Sonics? Or hell, even Sonic Adventure?

Setanta

I haven't scanned the images for those requesting them....if there was means to include an attachment in PM though...

Threi

notag
Setanta said:
I haven't scanned the images for those requesting them....if there was means to include an attachment in PM though...
for a file? Just PM the link (via zshare or something)

SpokkX

More in common with Adventure-series? While that is certanly better than in common with the latest turd It still doesn´t bode well.

A new Sonic should have most in common with 2d-Sonic games. Even if adventure 1 was ok it was still a mediocre 3d platformer

Teknoman

lol whats so bloated about the gameplay scheme. As Sonic it doesnt look like you've got anything other than normal Sonic Rush type moves (which isnt alot of stuff) and as Were-Sonic you'll probably just jump off pipes like those lvls with various swinging items in Sonic 3/Knuckles. Possibly punch things.

jman2050

Teknoman said:
lol whats so bloated about the gameplay scheme. As Sonic it doesnt look like you've got anything other than normal Sonic Rush type moves (which isnt alot of stuff) and as Were-Sonic you'll probably just jump off pipes like those lvls with various swinging items in Sonic 3/Knuckles. Possibly punch things.

Your post has more conjecture than mine!

Setanta

Haunted One said:
The graphics of the 360/PS3 version we've seen looked great for a Sonic game, imo. I highly doubt that the Wii version loks anywhere near those. If it does, major kudos to Sega.l

Well it is a major Kudos to Sega then from what I have here, again on top, think 'Mario Galaxy style' lighting and you are there.

hokahey

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
All you people asking for the scans... they are banned for a reason. Asking for a PM is no different.

Here's what I said:

Dammit. I want to see these screens. Can someone PM me a link or something?

Those are two different thoughts. The first is me stating my desire to see the screens. The second is me asking if someone would PM me a link. I often times like to receive random links from strangers on message boards. The two sentences are completely unrelated. Completely.

Threi

notag
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
All you people asking for the scans... they are banned for a reason. Asking for a PM is no different.

Agreed.

Anyways what "attachment" are you talking about Setanta?

Cautiously optimistic here.

frankie_baby said:
why wouldn't sega make wii the lead platform, it'll probably outsell all other versions combined
SEGA Superstar Tennis should give you an idea...

I haven't seen the scans but if it does indeed look like the stuff we've seen before they are probably screens from the 360/PS3 build then - it's ONM after all.

Top Bottom