• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Unleashed Wii News

rezuth

Threi said:
so there's a new revelation about the number of pixels the Wii can output? Because that is the only way this old, obvious-to-all-but-the-most-oblivious-fanboy discussion can be justified. I think everyone knows by now the image quality of the Wii.
Whats wrong with the image quality?

Y2Kev said:
ONM WORLD EXCLUSIVE ON SONIC WII

--It's coming to Wii
--It stars Sonic
--"Prominent Sonic lore" will be "featured"
--The game will be a mix of game styles
--Those styles will be included in the game
--The game will cost $49.99 (but they don't guarantee it)
--The cover will have sonic on the box

HOLY PENIS, WHAT A SCOOP!

Teknoman

--It's coming to Wii
--It stars Sonic

--"Prominent Sonic lore" will be "featured"
--The game will be a mix of game styles
--Those styles will be included in the game

--The game will cost $49.99 (but they don't guarantee it)
--The cover will have sonic on the box

:lol little redundant?

Teknoman

Not necessarily. Unlike the advent of Silver, or Shadow shooting lvls...or even side quests, I havent seen anything that necessarily screams bad.

On the were-sonic, I dont like the idea, but the described gameplay doesnt seem that bad.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
rezuth said:
Whats wrong with the image quality?
Blowing up and stretching a 640x480 pixel image to fill a 50" screen is never going to produce good results. Furthermore, due to memory limitations, many games fail to use overscan and rely on 16-bit color (which produces dithering artifacts). The Wii has very poor image quality.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Teknoman said:
Eh...the Wii games with actual effort look good to me. Hell even Secret Rings looked/looks pretty nice.
Oh, they look nice enough considering the hardware, but the actual image quality is very poor. Even the excellent looking Mario Galaxy suffers from this. There's only so much you can do with a low resolution, aliased, 16-bit color 4:3 image stretched to fill a large 16:9 HD display.

Teknoman

dark10x said:
Oh, they look nice enough considering the hardware, but the actual image quality is very poor. Even the excellent looking Mario Galaxy suffers from this. There's only so much you can do with a low resolution, aliased, 16-bit color 4:3 image stretched to fill a large 16:9 HD display.

Well yeah you've got a point there. All I can ask for is that developers push the hardware the best they know how.

jarrod said:
Actually, that game started out as a Wii conversion of VT3.

Sumo did 3 builds for it across platforms, and Wii was the lead for it's build (which was then downported to PS2). The Wii version's tracking best sales wise too so far.
We're talking about Sonic being an up-port to PS3/360 here though. With no online and the controls being an afterthought I think it's clear SST wasn't started on Wii - I think they had serious time constraints on the Wii version. And that's basically my point: Although the Wii version had the most sales potential the Wii version was not the lead build and more of an afterthought.

Teknoman said:
Where do the Sonic Adventure comparisons come in at though? The game doesnt play anything like it from whats been shown.

I dont know either but thats what this article said. i dont know whats happening, we need some true gameplay footage.

Setanta said:
I am looking at the Wii screenshots now and they are virtually identical to what we have all seen.
The new screens look well too and from what i can see are reminiscent to Mario Galaxy's 'Lighting effects' to some extent.
chea k...

jarrod

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
We're talking about Sonic being an up-port to PS3/360 here though. With no online and the controls being an afterthought I think it's clear SST wasn't started on Wii - I think they had serious time constraints on the Wii version. And that's basically my point: Although the Wii version had the most sales potential the Wii version was not the lead build and more of an afterthought.
Er, the whole project started on Wii... it was likely the lead build for it's engine (Sumo did 3 entirely separate engines for the various platforms). Leaving out WFC did suck (especially when Sumo's one of the few who braved online on PSP early on) but I'm not sure that in itself really implies the Wii SKU being an "afterthought"? I mean, it's tough putting out 5 SKUs after just 8 months of R&D, the constraints were probably on the project at large moreso...

flintstryker said:
thanks so much for quoting me

nod.gif

You backpadeled, so that should be enough...

But If something happens, it's only your fault.

Christopher

Teknoman said:
Not necessarily. Unlike the advent of Silver, or Shadow shooting lvls...or even side quests, I havent seen anything that necessarily screams bad.

On the were-sonic, I dont like the idea, but the described gameplay doesnt seem that bad.

Silver wasn't that bad.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
im sorry if i missed it, but is there any news about the gameplay, is it 100% on rails or only sections of it?

jarrod said:
Er, the whole project started on Wii... it was likely the lead build for it's engine (Sumo did 3 entirely separate engines for the various platforms). Leaving out WFC did suck (especially when Sumo's one of the few who braved online on PSP early on) but I'm not sure that in itself really implies the Wii SKU being an "afterthought"? I mean, it's tough putting out 5 SKUs after just 8 months of R&D, the constraints were probably on the project at large moreso...
The gfx are really fuzzy and blurry, haven't played the PS2/PSP versions but honestly I can't see Wii being the lead build here (or it's a case of Sumo not being able to tap the potential). The controls are indeed an afterthought. If you say the project was started on Wii I'm inclined to believe you but it doesn't show. Without having played them the 360/PS3 versions still look like they spent more time in the oven (going by vids here).

Teknoman

Tiduz said:
im sorry if i missed it, but is there any news about the gameplay, is it 100% on rails or only sections of it?

Even as little gained from the video, most of the game is not on rails.

jarrod

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
The gfx are really fuzzy and blurry, haven't played the PS2/PSP versions but honestly I can't see Wii being the lead build here (or it's a case of Sumo not being able to tap the potential). The controls are indeed an afterthought. If you say the project was started on Wii I'm inclined to believe you but it doesn't show. Without having played them the 360/PS3 versions still look like they spent more time in the oven (going by vids here).
Well, I've heard bad things about implementation on all the SKUs almost, but it did indeed start out as a Wii game first. Really, Sumo had an insane deadline... I'm suprised all the SKUs actually made it out at all really. Probably would've been better for SEGA to give them another few months to polish up everything...

There's no PSP version btw.

jarrod said:
Well, I've heard bad things about implementation on all the SKUs almost, but it did indeed start out as a Wii game first. Really, Sumo had an insane deadline... I'm suprised all the SKUs actually made it out at all really. Probably would've been better for SEGA to give them another few months to polish up everything...

There's no PSP version btw.
Oh, I just assumed there was one since it was basically put out on every console. Not too knowledgable on the subject since I don't own a PSP.

Setanta

Tiduz said:

Confirmed in the article that it is not on rails.

Also quoting Yoshihisa himself:

"We have not installed any features directly from Sonic And The Secret Rings, but one of the new features -quick step- will allow Sonic to move left and right quickly, so that could be something that looks familiar to what you have seen in Sonic And The Secret Rings."

yoopoo

Banned
Sega is a giant failure, Sonic is a giant failure, internally developed Sonic game from Sega will be a giant failure.

Wait for Sonich Rush 3 or the Bioware's Sonic RPG for a non-turd of a Sonic expereince.

Didn't Sonic Team develop NiGHTS? Didn't that game look like dog shit? How can you people think they'll make a game this good looking on the Wii?

Do we really need the "quick step"? Controlling Sonic in 3D has always been twitchy enough for me as it is. You'll be hauling ass at super speed and barely nudge over on the analog stick a hair to the left or right and Sonic careens wildly in to a wall, stopping dead.

Or you get the opposite in Sonic Heroes, where executing any turns at all at speed gets progressively more impossible the faster you go.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I don't understand why Sega doesn't just outsource the game. I mean, it's not like it would be an issue of maintaining quality or anything.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Oblivion said:
I don't understand why Sega doesn't just outsource the game. I mean, it's not like it would be an issue of maintaining quality or anything.

Yes there would be an issue. Outsourced Sonic games are usually better :lol

Scribble

I'm extremely glad that this will be going the Sonic Adventure route, which I think was a great route for the Sonic franchise to take. They just needed to refine and perfect that formula, which they didn't end up doing.

Sonic Rush gameplay + SA-hubs = Great Sonic game.

grandjedi6

Scribble said:
I'm extremely glad that this will be going the Sonic Adventure route, which I think was a great route for the Sonic franchise to take. They just needed to refine and perfect that formula, which they didn't end up doing.

Sonic Rush gameplay + SA-hubs = Great Sonic game.

+ Genesis level design - Stupid friends

Now that would be a good Sonic game.

grandjedi6 said:
+ Genesis level design - Stupid friends

Now that would be a good Sonic game.

Sonic's "friends" don't mean anything.

If you could play though the entire game as every single Sonic character ever made, provided it was all the same basic gameplay with a few special skills, what would be wrong

Linkup

from Nintendo Voice Chat Podcast said:
Q: Sonic Unleashed?
A: Bad news that it is coming to Wii. Sonic Team that did Nights that were in San Fran is now back in Japan. Its bad news because now it likely means we won't be getting a Wii specific Sonic game.

If this is true(considering how often IGN is wrong) then the Nights team is doing the port and they probably just started porting it a 2-3 months ago, which could be good or bad, likely bad.

Silver looked like a character you'd expect Tetsuya Nomura to design if he was a furry. Similar complaints could be lodged against Blaze the Cat, too, though she's not as bad.

AniHawk

Sega1991 said:
Silver looked like a character you'd expect Tetsuya Nomura to design if he was a furry. Similar complaints could be lodged against Blaze the Cat, too, though she's not as bad.

Perhaps not in design, but her character profile from the Sonic 2K6 site that launched before the game did made her possibly the worst character in the entire series, which says a lot.

grandjedi6

PataHikari said:
Sonic's "friends" don't mean anything.

If you could play though the entire game as every single Sonic character ever made, provided it was all the same basic gameplay with a few special skills, what would be wrong

Sega feels the need to change up the gameplay whenever you play as different characters. At this point I'm done with it, just give me Sonic

Linkup said:
Q: Sonic Unleashed?
A: Bad news that it is coming to Wii. Sonic Team that did Nights that were in San Fran is now back in Japan. Its bad news because now it likely means we won't be getting a Wii specific Sonic game.
If this is true(considering how often IGN is wrong) then the Nights team is doing the port and they probably just started porting it a 2-3 months ago, which could be good or bad, likely bad.

Sonic Team USA did not suddenly move to Japan. If anything IGN probably meant the Nights developers who came over to help Sonic Team USA with the game

Also the Sonic and the Secret Rings team was completely seperate from the other Sonic development teams (and in Japan), so they could still be making a Wiiclusive Sonic game. Though it is unlikely.

Teknoman

Sega1991 said:
Do we really need the "quick step"? Controlling Sonic in 3D has always been twitchy enough for me as it is. You'll be hauling ass at super speed and barely nudge over on the analog stick a hair to the left or right and Sonic careens wildly in to a wall, stopping dead.

Or you get the opposite in Sonic Heroes, where executing any turns at all at speed gets progressively more impossible the faster you go.

Quick step is probably going to be an auto "jump to other side" move when the camera switches behind Sonic for small sections. At least thats what im guessing from that white building city screenshot with the barrels/boxes/whatever those were. Shouldnt affect the controls, its probably just a fancy name for dodge button.

Kinda like how JRPG's make crazy names up for the most standard functions.

jman2050

AniHawk said:
Perhaps not in design, but her character profile from the Sonic 2K6 site that launched before the game did made her possibly the worst character in the entire series, which says a lot.

Blaze is the only new character since Knuckles that hasn't sucked.

Then again, I didn't play Sonic2k6, so I dunno what they did with her there.

nightside

Linkup said:

don't know why..but i guess this time they are plain wrong...

Top Bottom