• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Unleashed Wii News

AniHawk

jman2050 said:
Blaze is the only new character since Knuckles that hasn't sucked.

Then again, I didn't play Sonic2k6, so I dunno what they did with her there.

From Sega's official website:

Blaze is a Queen from another dimension who protects and controls Sol Emeralds in a role similar to that of Sonic and Knuckles combined. She has the power to control flames with her body, but since she was teased about it when she was younger, she wears a cape to disguise the ability. However, when needed, she will toss the cape in a heartbeat.

Why do we need to know why the character is designed like they are?

This was good though, from Silver's profile:

Silver lives light years in the future where psychic abilities are the norm. The happy people of his planet are very powerful and they regularly move objects with their mind using telekinetic powers. One day, Silver witnesses the start of a cataclysmic event that will surely wipe out his entire planet. Without hesitation, he races back in time to stop the Iblis Trigger. With the very future in his hands, he will use all his power to defeat this evil-doer. Does he have the wrong guy?

A light year is a measure of distance, not time, retards.

TreIII

Teknoman said:
I miss Nack/Fang the Sniper. He had better potential than Shadow.

That's an understatement. Pretty much every character from the "pre-Sonic Adventure series re-boot" had potential, but Sega/Sonic Team are too stupid to utilize 'em.

I mean, even going back to the "3 original pimps" (Sonic, Tails, Knux), as well as Amy, Metal Sonic and Eggman himself, there's enough there that they could have worked with, such that a number of the present day characters would have been largely unnecessary.

Hell, Sonic and Eggman are the the friggin' main characters of the series, and yet they're both probably the ones that we know the LEAST amount about. Yet, we had basically 3-4 games devoted to Shadow's sappy, angsty back-story and a whole game focusing around Silver's time-traveling shenanigans. Meanwhile, both Sonic and Eggman have remained largely unchanged.

How is that the characters we have had the longest to get to know, are the ones that haven't had decent character development since Sonic Adventure 2? :lol

Neodiablo22 said:
Don't trust the light

femal%20angler%20fish.jpg

:lol :lol

[Nintex]

I recently picked up Sonic Adventure DX, and although it's an old game it is still pretty fun to play. The action stages are nicely done and you actually have to do some platforming that works. The ending with Super Sonic was awesome as well.

I didn't mind the "shitty" friends parts in this game. Tails would just run through most of the action stages and that worked well. The airplane stuff was nicely done and the emerald hunt was alot easier than SA2 because I could see the emeralds. Who ever thought it was a good idea to make them near invisible in SA2 and let the radar pick up one at a time should be shot.

The story was hilarious. The game didn't take itself to seriously. Eggman just runs around collecting Chaos emeralds. Tricking Sonic at every step and finding birds and frogs for his evil plans. They should've left out the "Froggy" parts though. Fishing with a retarded cat might have been awesome back in the day but I doesn't hold up in 2008. Overall Sonic Adventure is just as good as the second one, SEGA should go back to this formula and fix it with a Sonic Adventure HD or something. Once they perfected this then they should move on the next Sonic style game. The problem is that all their attempts are half assed. Just like Secret Rings. It was fun but flawed, but a sequel seems unlikely so they'll never fix it. They should do what they tried in the past, keep working on one concept and improve on it. It all went down hill with Sonic Heroes.

TreIII said:
That's an understatement. Pretty much every character from the "pre-Sonic Adventure series re-boot" had potential, but Sega/Sonic Team are too stupid to utilize 'em.

I mean, even going back to the "3 original pimps" (Sonic, Tails, Knux), as well as Amy, Metal Sonic and Eggman himself, there's enough there that they could have worked with, such that a number of the present day characters would have been largely unnecessary.

Hell, Sonic and Eggman are the the friggin' main characters of the series, and yet they're both probably the ones that we know the LEAST amount about. Yet, we had basically 3-4 games devoted to Shadow's sappy, angsty back-story and a whole game focusing around Silver's time-traveling shenanigans. Meanwhile, both Sonic and Eggman have remained largely unchanged.

How is that the characters we have had the longest to get to know, are the ones that haven't had decent character development since Sonic Adventure 2? :lol

I like it better that Sonic and Eggman's backstories are left as a question mark. I don't wanna know where Sonic came from. I don't wanna know about his parents. The curious mystery in the Sonic 1 japanese manual was enough for me - it simply stated that Eggman and Sonic had known each other for a long time, had been fighting for a long time, but nobody knew why.

There doesn't need to be and I don't want character development there. It fit the sort of weird, surrealist-techno-fantasy the early Sonic games so lovingly embraced. Especially Eggman. Bad guys stop being bad guys when you explain their motivations. I don't want to sympathize with him, I just want to blow his robots up.

Besides, SonicTeam doesn't believe in long-term character development. SA1 established a lot of great character development in characters like Knuckles and Tails and SA2 pretty much ignored the majority of that. Tails became stronger and more independent in SA1? Back to being Sonic-dependent in SA2. SA1 gave Knuckles this great introspective narrative about being the last of his kind and his duty to protect the Master Emerald. SA2? Knuckles is just there. No real reason, he's just sort of tagging along and PS: The Master Emerald fits in his back pocket now and it's never explained why - which was, in my opinion, two things that totally destroyed Knuckles and lead to him being replaced by Shadow as the "lone wolf badass with questionable allegiances". Knuckles never has a purpose anymore, he's just there, being Tails #2 who also happens to punch things every now and then.

TreIII

Sega1991 said:
I like it better that Sonic and Eggman's backstories are left as a question mark. I don't wanna know where Sonic came from. I don't wanna know about his parents. The curious mystery in the Sonic 1 japanese manual was enough for me - it simply stated that Eggman and Sonic had known each other for a long time, had been fighting for a long time, but nobody knew why.

There doesn't need to be and I don't want character development there. It fit the sort of weird, surrealist-techno-fantasy the early Sonic games so lovingly embraced. Especially Eggman. Bad guys stop being bad guys when you explain their motivations. I don't want to sympathize with him, I just want to blow his robots up.

I can agree with you on the notion of backstory, but what about everything else?

For instance, I liked that, for the sake of Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 (get to that in a minute), they seemed to shift focus so that Eggman saw more of an active rivalry with Tails, rather than Sonic all the time. By the end of Adventure 1, Eggman had perfect reason to see as Tails as just as much of a "threat" to his ambitions as Sonic is. By Adventure 2, they escalated that, to the point that two were squaring off on largely equal footing (machines vs. machines, their specialty).

If you don't want to go into Sonic and Egg-head's past, that's fine. But leaving them largely as static characters in a world that seemingly continues to grow and expand just makes them seem odd, in my opinion. Again, especially since they went and bothered to force stories relating to Shadow down our throats.

Besides, SonicTeam doesn't believe in long-term character development. SA1 established a lot of great character development in characters like Knuckles and Tails and SA2 pretty much ignored the majority of that. Tails became stronger and more independent in SA1? Back to being Sonic-dependent in SA2. SA1 gave Knuckles this great introspective narrative about being the last of his kind and his duty to protect the Master Emerald. SA2? Knuckles is just there. No real reason, he's just sort of tagging along and PS: The Master Emerald fits in his back pocket now and it's never explained why - which was, in my opinion, two things that totally destroyed Knuckles and lead to him being replaced by Shadow as the "lone wolf badass with questionable allegiances". Knuckles never has a purpose anymore, he's just there, being Tails #2 who also happens to punch things every now and then.

Agreed, for the most part, though I would amend your statement, to account for the fact that Tails DID have his independence in SA2 (hello? fighting Eggman by himself on two different occasions, winning at least one of them decisively?). HEROES was where Tails got stripped of all that development, and turned back into the Sonic fanboy.

And Knux is a sad example of an under-utilized character too. Even if it meant having Tikal stick around as a sort of "Obi Wan" figure to him, it would have been nice if they did more to help explain his roots and all that kinda crap. But as it stands now, Shadow took his "anti-hero" role, as you just said, and furthermore, Blaze stole his "loner who bears a harsh burden alone".

For Sega and Sonic Team to go through all that work to seemingly try and make Sonic into a series with a serious storyline, following Adventure, they really let the ball drop hard. And even with the times that the ball bounced back up, they let it go again. :lol

I can only hope that BioWare's game may actually up the ante in many regards, so that BW can show Sega how to do a story for Sonic RIGHT, and then leave the ball in their court, once again.

But...knowing modern day Sega... :lol

ethelred said:
Interesting. I looked up his prior credits:

Sonic Adventure 2 - lead chao programmer
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle - lead chao programmer
Sonic Advance - programmer
Sonic Pinball Party - programmer
Sonic Adventure DX - A-Life system director

Not sure if anyone made this comment, but if this means more chao stuff, then yes please! :D

And Knux is a sad example of an under-utilized character too. Even if it meant having Tikal stick around as a sort of "Obi Wan" figure to him, it would have been nice if they did more to help explain his roots and all that kinda crap. But as it stands now, Shadow took his "anti-hero" role, as you just said, and furthermore, Blaze stole his "loner who bears a harsh burden alone".

This is so right.

I can only hope that BioWare's game may actually up the ante in many regards, so that BW can show Sega how to do a story for Sonic RIGHT, and then leave the ball in their court, once again.

If the Bioware game sucks, there really is no hope for Sonic. I mean, it's BIOWARE.

Teknoman

I think you have to hold "up" at those sections though, or something. Maybe not, but it reminds me more of the Ghost Condor boss battle in Sonic Rush Adventure than Secret Rings.

Innotech

Banned
yoopoo said:
Sega is a giant failure, Sonic is a giant failure, internally developed Sonic game from Sega will be a giant failure.

Wait for Sonich Rush 3 or the Bioware's Sonic RPG for a non-turd of a Sonic expereince.

Didn't Sonic Team develop NiGHTS? Didn't that game look like dog shit? How can you people think they'll make a game this good looking on the Wii?
fuck no. It looked gorgeous. did you play it? Even the platforming sections looked decent, they just played like shit. NiGHTS flying stages looked amazing.

Innotech

Banned
those pics probably say "Ps3" for a reason....
but yeah those were the ones that originally made me think a Wii version was possible.

But then I see the huge scale stages and the crazy draw distance and start to wonder how they are going to pull that particular part off.

Slavik81

AniHawk said:
That's what you think, but it the future he comes from, they discover it's a measure of both, thus allowing time travel.

*nods*

Teknoman

Death_Born said:

Fixed. :D

Actually maybe not, since he fell from the Final Zone in Sonic 2 as well...but I cant find any shots of that (was trying to show how long Sonic has been heading to infinity and beyond).

Innotech

Banned
I loved the grind rail levels honestly. I dont know why people hate them so much. Granted, they arent traditional Sonic elements but they are fun.

Teknoman

Innotech said:
I loved the grind rail levels honestly. I dont know why people hate them so much. Granted, they arent traditional Sonic elements but they are fun.

I still dont know how to maintain a decent amount of speed on grind rails.

Also story or not, I liked how Tails was getting from under Sonic and becoming a hero on his own (still friends, but not like some kinda big brother figure to em). Same with Knuckles and his history.

ethelred said:
Interesting. I looked up his prior credits:

Sonic Adventure 2 - lead chao programmer
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle - lead chao programmer
Sonic Advance - programmer
Sonic Pinball Party - programmer
Sonic Adventure DX - A-Life system director

wha....

Please, if there is a god/supreme deity/mercy in this world, let there be a Chao garden, and let the Wii version be bc with the GC Sonic Adventures.

AniHawk said:

Innotech

Banned
kiruyama said:
wha....

Please, if there is a god/supreme deity/mercy in this world, let there be a Chao garden, and let the Wii version be bc with the GC Sonic Adventures.
Is that the developers who worked on SATSR or sonic06?

Teknoman

kiruyama said:
wha....

Well you get one half (chao garden) since there is supposed to be online chao trading and they play some vital role in the game.

Teknoman said:
Well you get one half (chao garden) since there is supposed to be online chao trading and they play some vital role in the game.

Sales +1

on the one hand chao playing a big role in the main game worries me as far as gameplay is concerned, but on the other, I finally get a chao garden.

Innotech said:
Is that the developers who worked on SATSR or sonic06?

sonic team did the SA2: B port I believe

Blaze is a Queen from another dimension who protects and controls Sol Emeralds in a role similar to that of Sonic and Knuckles combined. She has the power to control flames with her body, but since she was teased about it when she was younger, she wears a cape to disguise the ability. However, when needed, she will toss the cape in a heartbeat.
I'm pretty sure she was teased about her chest, but whatever.

I'd like to say this game looks promising, but I said that about 06, too.

Also, ONM seems to be being harped on for "pointing out the obvious." To be fair, this was probably going to be exclusive until Sega leaked it on their servers.

Innotech

Banned
kiruyama said:
Sales +1

on the one hand chao playing a big role in the main game worries me as far as gameplay is concerned, but on the other, I finally get a chao garden.

sonic team did the SA2: B port I believe
So both Sonic 06 and SATSR on wii were done by Sonic team Japan?
I think sonic team USa did SA2B. They also did niGHTS2 IIRC.

Teknoman

Aaron Strife said:
I'm pretty sure she was teased about her chest, but whatever.

I'd like to say this game looks promising, but I said that about 06, too.

Also, ONM seems to be being harped on for "pointing out the obvious." To be fair, this was probably going to be exclusive until Sega leaked it on their servers.

:lol I didnt want to go there, but I mean its funny because even Amy (who im sure is supposed to be younger than Blaze) "looks" like a girl. If it wasnt for Blaze's eyelashes and voice...

gwiz210

Innotech said:
Secret Rings sonic. I would put it between Brawl Sonic and Unleashed.
sonic_secret_rings_35.jpg
When I judge by official art, the secret rings sonic and Brawl sonic are very identical. Can someone post that official art with sonic/warehog from unleashed for comparison?

Top Bottom