• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya speaks out on Okami Wii missing staff roll

tetsuoxb

Hideki Kamiya posted a new blog post where he speaks out on his feelings in regards to the missing staff roll in Okami Wii.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/PlatinumGames-Inc/19840559024

Bolded for brevity.

Kamiya here.

The other day, I was surfing the net looking at some sites and I was a bit shocked and disappointed by what I found... Apparently, in Okami for the Nintendo Wii, released last week in the US, the staff credits after the ending have been cut from the game. The fan comments that I read were in English, so I wasn’t sure if I was misunderstanding things, but our localization staff checked into the issue and confirmed it as fact.

I don’t know the details behind why the staff roll was cut... But what do you all think about the issue? I’m not disappointed because my name was removed from the game. Of course, we all have pride in our work; we all want to stand up and say “I made this!” Yet more importantly, I find it extremely regrettable that the omoi that went into the staff roll is gone from the game as well. (Translator's note: The Japanese word - 想い – omoi – is best defined as a combination of thoughts, emotions, and messages. I’ve left it in Japanese as I feel it better suits Kamiya-san’s intentions.)

It takes a great deal of time and energy to complete a game. The more difficult the challenges a player faces, the greater their sense of accomplishment at the end. Players who complete a game want to feel this sense of accomplishment, whether it is because the game was difficult or simply because the journey was long. In Okami’s case, I did my best to lower the level of difficulty in battle; however, as the majestic adventure itself requires 20-30 hours, and you can spend even more time devoted to the game, it is clear that completing Okami is no simple task. Of course, not everyone will reach the ending, so players who do should what the staff roll filled with this omoi. That is why every game that I’ve guided does not end by simply introducing the staff, but ends full of this special omoi that bring a sense of closure to the game.

In Resident Evil 2, the Zapping System gave way to two different endings, a Sub-Ending and a Main Ending, and each of these endings was accompanied by a completely different kind of music. The Sub-Ending featured a ballad meant to signify the healing of the main character after their battle ends. The Main Ending played against a valiant rock song meant to praise users for their mastery of the game. Even though they were simply credits, they were meant to wash players in the emotions of their post-game experience.

Devil May Cry’s staff roll came along with advances in technology that allowed us to play video with the credits (something I had wanted to do with Resident Evil 2 but gave up on because of compression artifacts), so I changed the video along with the music. The beginning of the credits sequence, coming directly after Trish and Dante head off towards a new fight, is a video of the hero and heroine in a balletic display of martial prowess matched to an uptempo track. This crossfades into a gentle choral song in the second half, as the video transitions to images of the sea based upon the idea of motherly love found in Devil May Cry’s story.

Viewtiful Joe’s credits were like a curtain call, meant to intertwine with the game’s theme of movies and the incredible events that took place within. It came from the idea that within the game, your friends were your friends and your enemies your enemies, but once everything came to a close, one and all were friends! Thus it was like a wrap party, introducing the cast along with a medley of each stage’s music. Since the game had elements of comedy, we wanted people to feel how much fun we had making the game via the credits.

Finally, we arrive at Okami. Since I’m sure there are plenty of people who will still be playing Okami, I won’t go into specific details... However, it was the first time for us to make a long adventure, and so the staff roll was filled with all of the omoi appropriate for the end of a long journey. Of course, these weren’t just my omoi. They were the omoi of everyone who worked on the project, put together in a moment of bliss held out just for those who completed the journey. It was a special staff roll for a special moment. And now it is gone. All of it. ...It’s incredibly disappointing and sad.

Not just in Okami’s case, but with all the games we make... I want as many people to play them as possible. Everything is for the players who are kind enough to play our work. That’s the feeling we carry with us as we go about the business of creating games. Even though I have absolutely no interest in the business of gaming (apologies to my bosses), a user’s joy is a creator’s joy, and having more joyful users is always better. If you can prove a game’s worth, and get it into the hands of many gamers, this should lead to sales and a greater contribution to the company at large... Right? (If I’m wrong... apologies to my bosses!)
Even if we don’t see the results right away, we know that when our spirit shines through, the flower of success will bloom. Then everyone, the creators, the players, and the businessmen, will all be happy. To me, that is the ideal.

I wonder who could have possibly been pleased with Okami’s staff roll being cut? I’ve long decided that the minute I can’t make games that users can say “This is fun!” towards, I would quit this job. However, until the very last second, I plan to keep the feeling in my heart that everything I do is to make the player happy.

That’s all for now!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
It got cut because the Clover Logo was in it, if you wanted to have your name in it give them the original video to edit the logo out. Simple >_>

I think that was the reason anyway.

watkinzez

Wha? That sequence is beautiful, damn shame they cut it. (Even though it's a job to read English text vertically)

That means 'Reset' is cut too. Wii version is useless. :(

Jacobi

Banned
"(Translator's note: The Japanese word - 想い – omoi – is best defined as a combination of thoughts, emotions, and messages. I’ve left it in Japanese as I feel it better suits Kamiya-san’s intentions.)"

JAPANAPHILES :mad: Just translate with "work"

But yeah, it's pretty wack

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
ok so basically PS2 definitive version confirmed again and again. I still have yet to buy either copy, but after all the flaws with this version I'd rather just have the original.

haowan

Jacobi said:
"(Translator's note: The Japanese word - 想い – omoi – is best defined as a combination of thoughts, emotions, and messages. I’ve left it in Japanese as I feel it better suits Kamiya-san’s intentions.)"

JAPANAPHILES :mad: Just translate with "work"

But yeah, it's pretty wack

"feeling" could work better. But yeah, lazy translation.

Okay, this sounds so fucked up that I would boycott the Wii version. I can't stand for developers not getting credited for their work. That is especially the case on works where the team obviously tried to give us something outside the normal 90% of shlock on the shelves.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
watkinzez said:
Wha? That sequence is beautiful, damn shame they cut it. (Even though it's a job to read English text vertically)

Seriously, that sucks. The ending sequence is beautiful and awesome.

I wonder if it was intentional or simply a bug?

dark10x said:
I wonder if it was intentional or simply a bug?

If you read the link above, you'll see it was intentional. The ending sequence was a pre-rendered movie that included the Clover logo. Capcom apparently don't have the right to use that in a game Clover weren't involved with - the port of Okami qualifies - and they didn't have the source for the movie to simply remove the logo, so they dropped it.

Frankly, the more I read about the port, the more surprised I am that RAD got anything up and running in the time they had - it seems like there was little to no cooperation from Clover and the team had to scrounge together what they could off of old hard disks and the asset dumps from Capcom.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
What with this and the IGN watermark debacle, was the Wii port done by a load of trained monkeys?

Seems ridiculous to make all those statements about how the game is a work of art and was under appreciated, and then seemingly treat it so slapdash.

Very poor Capcom USA.

The Hermit

BocoDragon said:
ok so basically PS2 definitive version confirmed again and again. I still have yet to buy either copy, but after all the flaws with this version I'd rather just have the original.

This is known fact since day one. I also didn´t like Capcom removing Clover form the credits since it´s THEIR game afterall.
Ready at Dawn is cool in my book though. They worked really hard in this port when none cared... it might not be the best port, but it wasn´t easy to make.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Cosmonaut X said:
If you read the link above, you'll see it was intentional. The ending sequence was a pre-rendered movie that included the Clover logo. Capcom apparently don't have the right to use that in a game Clover weren't involved with - the port of Okami qualifies - and they didn't have the source for the movie to simply remove the logo, so they dropped it.

?

But Clover were wholly owned by Capcom and then disolved. If there was some clause in the agreement when the studio was wound up about not being able to use Clover's name on anything they weren't involved in surely Clover themselves would have granted it when it's a port of their own bloody game!

This sounds more like Capcom USA just didn't do things the right way, and seem unable to join up the dots.

tetsuoxb

Baiano19 said:
This is known fact since day one. I also didn´t like Capcom removing Clover form the credits since it´s THEIR game afterall.
Ready at Dawn is cool in my book though. They worked really hard in this port when none cared... it might not be the best port, but it wasn´t easy to make.

Yeah. I think RAD did the best they could under the constraints of the project.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kami-fucking-ya :bow

I love this guy. His sole goal is to make me happy. And he's really damn good at it.

ethelred

Cosmonaut X said:

I'm no lawyer, but I have a hard time with this one. Capcom couldn't use the Clover logo, even though Clover was a subsidiary of Capcom? So Capcom has the ability to dissolve the company, but can't use its logo? Hmm...

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Y2Kev said:
Kami-fucking-ya :bow

I love this guy. His sole goal is to make me happy. And he's really damn good at it.

*agrees*

:bow

That being said, I'm sure there is a bigger reason to it missing than, "fuck you guys".

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
watkinzez said:

First the staff roll and Reset? Glad I kept my PS2 versions, both Jpn and NA ones.

Soul4ger

Also, it sounds like if anyone would've taken a second to contact Kamiya or anyone else that could've okayed it, they would've been more than happy to let them use the logo... That might be jumping to conclusions, but he seems more worried about people getting the full experience than a squabble over a trademarked symbol.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
ethelred said:
Yes, I'm sure you went through quite the internal struggle with that one.

Okami is one of my favorite games. I imported the Japanese version, the American version and bought the sound track.

Anyways, Was the original staff that worked on this game credited at all?

Phatcorns

watkinzez said:

Damn right it's useless! I was about to buy it too. If I found out there was no Reset by beating the game heads would have mother fucking rolled!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
It's all legal bullshit.

At least the game is out there for more people to love, that's what is important and I think Kamiya understands that.

so the wii version went from allright to worthless. its a pity, as the whole end sequence was simply beautiful. easily of the best in recent years.

kudos to kamiya. he is simply awesome.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Whaja wha?

Capcom coulda just gone around to the Ex-Clover staff and punched them in the balls, it would have been kinder in the long run.

cvxfreak

Damn, if Okami Wii goes on to outsell the PS2 version, it'll be ironic that most gamers wouldn't know Clover actually existed.

CTLance

Kamiya sounds open to discussion. I doubt the RAD guys didn't contact him though.

It's really annoying me to see all that wasted potential.

Now we have two equally(?) faulty versions, and probably a lot of disillusioned guys and gals at RAD, as well as less-than-pleased Capcom customers ignorant of Clovers work. Everybody loses out.

Edit: I'm really interested in what Svensson will have to say about the issue (not my thread).

jarrod

Banned
Yeah, it's a real shame. If there were legal issues with the existing credit roll though, the original designers *still* should've been credited in whatever new staff roll RAD made... makes me wonder if there's more animosity between Capcom and the ex-Clover guys than anyone's letting on?

It's noble of CAPCOM to release it on the Wii. But at the same time, you have to say a large amount of what could have gone wrong has gone wrong.

Who knows what caused the communication breakdown, or indeed why it wasn't made between RAD and the ex-Clover staff.

At least future teams who port games can learn from this.
Troidal said:
Man thats totally fucked up....it happened with Rez HD too :/
Totally lame.
Mizuguchi left out his ex-colleagues names in the credits of Rez HD?

tetsuoxb

Visualante said:
Who knows what caused the communication breakdown, or indeed why it wasn't made between RAD and the ex-Clover staff.

At least future teams who port games can learn from this.

I doubt RAD was in a position to discuss legal issues directly with ex-employees of their publisher. I really don't hold them at fault, especially with Capcom's official position being that of legal issues.

LiK

WOW really? the ending credits were so good. the song was so nice too. it made the game end on a very satisfying note.

PS2 version > Wii version. Confirmed. Shame on you Capcom.

EDarkness

Prime Blue said:
It's noble of Capcom to release it on the Wii. But at the same time, you have to say a large amount of what could have gone wrong has gone wrong.

<sigh> There is nothing wrong with this game. The meat of it is there and plays great. Why do people have to get bent out of shape about something like this? I'm sure there is a good reason for it not being there and Capcom has stated it was about legal issues, so why jump on their case about it? It doesn't all of a sudden make the game less fun. As of now more people can actually go out and play it. That's all that matters in the end.

Gribbix

ethelred said:
I'm no lawyer, but I have a hard time with this one. Capcom couldn't use the Clover logo, even though Clover was a subsidiary of Capcom? So Capcom has the ability to dissolve the company, but can't use its logo? Hmm...

Oddly, Eidos did something similar regarding Core Design's logo when they released Tomb Raider Anniversary. The game includes a gallery section that shows the covers from the various TR games yet there is a black box censoring out Core Design's logo on each of the covers it appears on.

How hard is it to make a fucking credits roll? They could develop games from the ground up, but they can't develop a new credits roll? wtf?

stewacide

Not having the source files for a lot of the cut scenes is really puzzling: you'd think a big corporation like Capcom would want to keep that sort of stuff around?!?!?

I have no regrets about plaything through the Wii version however. I've even put GTA4 away to finish it.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
EDarkness said:
<sigh> There is nothing wrong with this game. The meat of it is there and plays great. Why do people have to get bent out of shape about something like this? I'm sure there is a good reason for it not being there and Capcom has stated it was about legal issues, so why jump on their case about it? It doesn't all of a sudden make the game less fun. As of now more people can actually go out and play it. That's all that matters in the end.

Okami is a bit of a special case though, and even Capcom themselves were making a big deal of it being this unappreciated work of art that not enough people got to play.

They could, and should, have treated it a lot better. Unsurmountable legal issues? I really doubt it. As with the cover, they just cut corners.

Top Bottom