• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya speaks out on Okami Wii missing staff roll

upandaway

EatChildren said:
I'd rebuy it on the Wii if they tweaked it. Credits restored, enhance the filter properly, and fix the seriously poorly programmed controls. The fact Okami totally ignores rotations of the pointer makes drawing a chore and I'm convinced is the root of all control problems people have had with the game.
Weird how the drawing controls never bothered me, but the one thing that bothered me about them was the amount of ink you use. There was that fire attack that has a different strength depending on how thick the line was (or was it a different attack?), and you're supposed to change it by changing the distance between the remote and the TV. It was really uncomfortable and totally sucked.

Couldn't they have just done something like, the longer you hold it in one place the more ink it takes?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
upandaway said:
Weird how the drawing controls never bothered me, but the one thing that bothered me about them was the amount of ink you use. There was that fire attack that has a different strength depending on how thick the line was (or was it a different attack?), and you're supposed to change it by changing the distance between the remote and the TV. It was really uncomfortable and totally sucked.

Couldn't they have just done something like, the longer you hold it in one place the more ink it takes?

Once I got used to the controls I could play fine, but they're fundamentally broken. They dont take into account rotation of the pointer, like every other Wii game does.

On the Wii Menu, or any other pointer menu, you can rotate the 'pointer' and it knows how you're holding the remote. Rotate the remote 90 degrees, move it downwards, the pointer still moves down.

In Okami they failed to program that in, for whatever reason. So, if you turn the remote 90 degrees and paint 'down' it actually paints to the left on the screen, due to the left hand side of the remote being the the direction your moving.

So whenever you're painting anything if you're not holding the remote totally perfect you're going to end up with what seems like unresponsive or glitchy controls.

They also seemed to fuck up the dodging mechanic. The nunchuck isn't precise enough anyway, but the dodging directions are relative to how Amaterasu appears on the screen. If the camera is behind Amaterasu and you move the nunchuck backwards, she jumps backwards. If the camera is looking at Amaterasu as she is facing the right side of the screen, and you move the nunchuk backwards, she dashes to her right.

I dont know if this was a time problem, or if the programming was simply too difficult due to it being built for the PS2 controller from the ground up. Okami Wii is tons and tons of fun but it has a crazy amount of really fucking stupid control problems.

The Hermit

Lol, as i was reading the replies I read a post that is exactly what I was thinking... then I read the username and it was me. :lol I didn't recognized it at first cause I changed my avatar yesterday.

Pixe

Japanese version controls
A Attack
B Jump
C Talk, Investigate, Bark
Z Bring up the drawing screen
- A Draw
- A+B Draw a straight line
Z+C Change Perspective
Control-stick Move
Control-pad Angle
Remote Fleetfoot
Nunchuk Dig

Pixe said:
A Attack
B Jump
- A Draw
Z+C Change Perspective
Control-stick Move
Control-pad Angle
Remote Fleetfoot
Nunchuk Dig
Do you have it? Did they improve the drawing?

Infinity's End

Neo Member
EatChildren said:
I dont know if this was a time problem, or if the programming was simply too difficult due to it being built for the PS2 controller from the ground up. Okami Wii is tons and tons of fun but it has a crazy amount of really fucking stupid control problems.

QFE.
I could not agree more with this statement. Bottom line: IT SHOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT TO MAKE THE SLASH OR THE CIRCLE with the Wiimote.

But yet, somehow, it is. Maybe it wasn't tested enough and maybe it was just rushed out the door (most likely the case) but these basic maneuvers are completely broken, and it really makes the game near-unplayable. Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.

TunaLover

Pixe said:
A Attack
B Jump
- A Draw
Z+C Change Perspective
Control-stick Move
Control-pad Angle
Remote Fleetfoot
Nunchuk Dig

No Wiimote waggle, mmmmh I think it's alright, I didn't have problems with waggling for for combos, in fact it makes the battles more engaging.

For the drawings problems, tbh the only problem I had was summon lighting, after a few tries I could summon it, but it was really hard to make it consecutively. People with shaky hands shouldn't play this game :lol

V_Ben

Banned
do we know if the japanese version will have the option for english subtitles? i wanna play it with the improved controls :-(

big_z

the wiimote controls were better than the ps2 version. the only thing that didnt work well was the dodge move which didnt always move you in the direction you shake the nunchuk.

i dont know how people couldnt draw in the game. the game is pretty lenient in terms of drawing accuracy. unless you have severe parkinson's theres no excuse.

boiled goose

good with gravy
drawing was fine. I can see how somethings werent designed with a pointer in mind, but is so much easier and faster than with a thumbstick.

the problem with controls was dodging, which is rarely used but should have been better implemented and waggle to attack. waggling was tolerable, but unnecessary.

Bizzyb

Banned
16:9
480p support
skipable cutscenes
and IR controls for the paintbrush alone make Wii version the definitive version

Yes it sucks that staff roll was taken out but give me a break, it's the credits. Most people don't give a rats ass about a games credits. Don't get me wrong, these people put in a LOT of hard work yes, and they deserve some kind of recognition but to not buy/play the game b/c of that is just stupid.

If you want to see the credits that bad go on youtube or something.

So now that the game is out in Japan, can anyone let us know if the control problems were fixed and whether or not the missing graphical effects (Like the ink splotch effects and the toned down parchment filter) have been restored for the JPN version?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
(Translator's note: The Japanese word - 想い – omoi – is best defined as a combination of thoughts, emotions, and messages. I’ve left it in Japanese as I feel it better suits Kamiya-san’s intentions.)
yet people who don't speak japanese have no fucking idea what it means and so Kamiya's intentions are lost anyway....

worst translator ever :p

IrishNinja

Bizzyb said:
16:9
480p support
skipable cutscenes
and IR controls for the paintbrush alone make Wii version the definitive version

Yes it sucks that staff roll was taken out but give me a break, it's the credits. Most people don't give a rats ass about a games credits. Don't get me wrong, these people put in a LOT of hard work yes, and they deserve some kind of recognition but to not buy/play the game b/c of that is just stupid.

If you want to see the credits that bad go on youtube or something.

1) i stand that if attack was mapped as a button, id be with you. its gorgeous, i want to love it and a few here say you can get used to it, but for me i thought it was a deal-breaker. i played like 80 hours on PS2 and barely made it through a few on wii, really wanted to.

2) you're countering some people you feel are unfairly dismissing the game due to the labors not being noted, by unfairly dismissing the creators their moment in the sun. i get your point that this angle shouldnt be enough to cast a great, great title aside, but it is kind of a big deal to not give it where its due.

Varshes

louis89 said:
keikaku.jpg

THANK YOU!

After reading the OP I was skimming to see if someone had posted keikaku, sad it took 4 pages. :lol

nincompoop said:
So did anyone pick this up? I need impressions.

Yes this, I want to know if the missing graphical effects have been restored and whether or not the pointer controls were fixed (Pointer controls taking rotation into account)

Top Bottom