• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2: Real-Emergence Thread of Cubed Meat - HD Gameplay up!

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
MicVlaD said:
I personally never understood why most people lower it to 5 seconds, unless they really are that impatient. I say this because it entirely defeats the purpose of Execution, a mode where you have to get close to someone in order to kill an enemy. So if the bleed-out time is set to 5 seconds, more often than not you won't be able to finish him off because he'll already be back on his feet by the time you're right next to him, should there be any distance between you two. And the worst part of it all is that it actually takes less than 5 seconds to revive yourself if you keep bashing the A button. The kind of Execution you prefer became very tedious due to this before a specific patch arrived, because originally you didn't die after you've been revived a certain amount. Furthermore: if there's hardly any danger of getting killed (unless a shotgun wielder sneaks up on you) because of the incredibly low bleed-out time, why should team mates even bother to rescue a fallen ally?

Lastly, snipers aren't that big of a threat in Execution because they obviously can't kill you from afar when you're down. They tend to dominate more often in Warzone instead.

Anyone that can't snipe in Execution with 5 second downs sucks. It is easy, first down someone with an active, then wait to pop their head when they stand back up. If you can't do that, then you can't snipe! I like Execution with 5 sec. downs because people are more aggressive, there is nothing more anoying then guys hiding behind cover wasting bullets because they too scared to go up and attack. That is what makes GOW so different the Ghost Recon, COD4, and all the 1000's of 1st and 3rd shooters, it is up close and personal, what other game can you find more players using the shotgun then your stardard rifle.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
VegaShinra said:
So it's the same from Gears 1. :lol They tried to make it sound like this is a new feature.

No, The active reload for the torque bow gives the Arrow more explosive damage. Try shooting near a guy with a regular shot. Then active reload and shoot near him again without hitting him, The explosion will down him most of the time. Im speaking from a non host perspective since host always has huge advantages.

Gunstar77 said:
Anyone that can't snipe in Execution with 5 second downs sucks. It is easy, first down someone with an active, then wait to pop their head when they stand back up. If you can't do that, then you can't snipe! I like Execution with 5 sec. downs because people are more aggressive, there is nothing more anoying then guys hiding behind cover wasting bullets because they too scared to go up and attack. That is what makes GOW so different the Ghost Recon, COD4, and all the 1000's of 1st and 3rd shooters, it is up close and personal, what other game can you find more players using the shotgun then your stardard rifle.

There are lots of reasons to use the Shotgun instead of other weapons in GeoW1... and I sincerely hope NONE of them make it into the next game if they want it playable online.

Aladuf

Banned
Metalic Sand said:
No, The active reload for the torque bow gives the Arrow more explosive damage. Try shooting near a guy with a regular shot. Then active reload and shoot near him again without hitting him, The explosion will down him most of the time. Im speaking from a non host perspective since host always has huge advantages.

Nah, if you shoot off 2 Torques near someone and don't actually hit them but get close it'll take damage the first time and most likely blow them up with the next one without an active. I always use that if someone is taking cover and isn't moving. In Gears 1 the active for Torque is definetly a shorter charge time.

Gunstar77 said:

Something tells me your going to hate GoW2.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Dark FaZe said:
Something tells me your going to hate GoW2.

I am a little worried that I won't like it as much of GOW1 but at least Torque Bow should not change that much since it is my favorite weapon.

VegaShinra

Aladuf23 said:
Nah, if you shoot off 2 Torques near someone and don't actually hit them but get close it'll take damage the first time and most likely blow them up with the next one without an active. I always use that if someone is taking cover and isn't moving. In Gears 1 the active for Torque is definetly a shorter charge time.
Exactly.

Kydd BlaZe

Dark FaZe said:
All that stuff seemed believable until I got to the Boomshot shitting out 2 rockets for an active.

Considering that a boomshot always comes with 2 rockets for balance purposes, how do you shoot 1 and then shoot 2 when you don't actually have 2 rockets left? Not only that, but I wouldn't even use the active anyway if that was the case, because its just a waste of ammo. 1 rocket is plenty strong enough so long as your accurate.

Guess that Neocrisis article was true after all. Coming from another source. Epic's engine programmer, Mark Thompson.

Epic's Mark Thompson said:
Game Rumor recently had the chance to talk with Mark Thompson, an engine programmer over at Epic Games. The full interview will be posted later but for now here are some new interesting multiplayer details we learned from our time over at Epic.

-COG and Locust will each have 12 character models (7 each in Gears 1)

-A new map announced, “Dusk” puts players in a smaller, Raven Down style map with locust/cog battles in the distance scenery.

- New flamethrower has a “fuel meter” instead of ammo clips like in other guns, and will jam if continually fired for an extended amount of time.

- Hammer of Dawn will have only 3 charges until it “burns out”. A 4th charge is possible, but it will cause the weapon to explode killing the character and hopefully enemies close by.

- Subway’s trains movement can be turned on / off with a switch. Described as being “the hardest aspect to program yet!”

- A new gametype “Wanted” pits 9 Locusts on 1 COG or 9 COG on 1 Locust. This modified version of Juggernaut has a clock for each player counting how long each player is the wanted. The wanted can only be killed with execution style rules.

- Boomshot has been modified to hold 3 ammo. Each individual rocket has been weakened, however, if you have 2 left with an active it will shoot them both out at the same time for a massive explosion.

Mark V

Hmm, never heard of Game Rumor, or Mark Thompson. Since when do "engine programmers" talk to tiny gaming rumor sites? I call fabricated.

DoomGyver

Has anyone heard anything about the rumored multiplayer footage that was supposed to go up june 3rd/EGM 1up playtest? Or is Epic gonna make us wait until e3?

Sean

Banned
Mark V said:
Hmm, never heard of Game Rumor, or Mark Thompson. Since when do "engine programmers" talk to tiny gaming rumor sites? I call fabricated.

A quick Google search for the name Mark Thompson Epic Games brought this up:

Never heard of him. Maybe he has stealth technology and has been working here, but no one has met him.

BTW, I am one of the two leads for the engine team, so if he worked on the engine team I'd know him.

:lol

Kydd BlaZe said:
Guess that Neocrisis article was true after all. Coming from another source. Epic's engine programmer, Mark Thompson.

Hmmm...seems fairly believable from a gameplay perspective. Still I agree that it seems a little iffy to be releasing hot details like this to obscure magazines.

We'll find out more details at E3 anyway. 12 character models...?

Cole
Baird
Marcus
Carmine
Dom
Kim
Hoffman
Dizzy
Tai

Still missing a few. We'll see what happens when we get more details. I'm mostly looking forward to an explanation on the party system and adjustments to help lag. Also gameplay vids would be great.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Yup, shut down on Epic's own forum at the link in Sean's post - there is no Mark Thompson...

Whether the info is real or not is still another thing, seeing as they only confirmed that the name is BS and not the info... but as always, wait for official confirmation...

Waikis

Kydd BlaZe said:
Hammer of Dawn will have only 3 charges until it “burns out”. A 4th charge is possible, but it will cause the weapon to explode killing the character and hopefully enemies close by.

So if I use the weapon 3 times, drop it , and then an enemy picks it up ,will it explode when they try to use it? :lol

Waikis said:
So if I use the weapon 3 times, drop it , and then an enemy picks it up ,will it explode when they try to use it? :lol
If you can plant grenades now I think that sounds fine, I would also think that it would show some sort of ammo bar or something to hint to the user that it only has one charge left.

TDG

Banned
Posted?

Apparently at MLG they're having a surprise GoW announcement at 8:30pt.

It doesn't specify whether it's GoW2 or 1, so it might not be exciting at all.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Hmm, I haven't heard anything about this, so it will be showing up on ESPN soon...wonder if its anything big, they make it sound like it.

TDG

Banned
Ramirez said:
Why would they announce something about Gears 1?
It could just be more news about their relaunch, or it could be something lame like some tournament.

I'm just trying to control myself and not get my hopes up.

x3sphere

There will be new Gears 2 media released tomorrow at 9 a.m. PDT. Just got this email from MS..

New “Gears of War 2” Visuals Available for Download on June 25, 2008 at 9 a.m. PDT

On June 25, Microsoft will release new concept art and screenshots from Epic Games' upcoming “Gears of War 2,” the most anticipated Xbox 360 title of the 2008 holiday season.

Concept Art
See the visual origins of many of the characters, environments and vehicles that are all-new to “Gears of War 2.”

Screenshots
Witness the new Locust Rockworm, as well as the snow-capped locale of Landown. Competitive multiplayer images showcase brand new gameplay modes, maps and weaponry.

beerbelly

Banned
For those who've not seen the GameInformer scans of the Locust Rockworm, pay attention to the rock "barriers" that Marcus and gang uses tomorrow :D

Kydd BlaZe

Kibbles said:
Also, there is supposed to be new footage tomorrow on GameVideos, so I'm guessing it's around the same time.
Almost forgot about that. Seems like we'll be getting a bunch of new details today.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Oh HELL yes - it's right on time, and it's 16 minutes long or so - nice!

This should be a thread on its own though..

I won't be able to watch it for at least an hour, gonna be a hard wait...

And if anyone from 1up is watching now, the screenshots link doesn't work from the preview text...

Endless

gears_of_war_2_6.jpg

gears_of_war_2_7.jpg

gears_of_war_2_5.jpg

gears_of_war_2_8.jpg

Shins

Banned
New smoke tag stun in action! YESS

New curbstomp animation BRUTAL

Sniper Rifle Execution animation HO HO

Ghost cam slick

Sticking grenades in walls! D;

Flamethrower BURN

Surviving boomshot by holding a hostage ahahaha

oh oh

Aladuf

Banned
*cries*

I want to watch the video so fucking bad but Gamevideos is taking forever to load it up! :(

I'm pretty surprised that it's about 16 minutes long though!

AAh the 1up video decided to go into a never ending buffering just as the question about host advantage was asked, got to download the 180meg wmv now :S

Top Bottom