• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2: Real-Emergence Thread of Cubed Meat - HD Gameplay up!

Tomcat

All the new stuff sounds great but how are we supposed to execute someone who has been downed with a grenade on his hand now that he can do the martyrdom thing?

Kydd BlaZe

Tomcat said:
All the new stuff sounds great but how are we supposed to execute someone who has been downed with a grenade on his hand now that he can do the martyrdom thing?
Good question. This only poses a problem in Execution (where you have to be right on top of your enemy to kill him), but for other modes such as Warzone, Guardian, etc. i'm sure that you will be able to just finish them from afar.

I have no idea how this will work in Exectition, though.

Tomcat said:
Huh what? New stuff? Bots? WHERE?

FFChris

Bots are going to be a godsend in this game.

Not enough shooters have bots anymore. Good job Epic, you're really ticking the boxes with Gears 2. I wasn't expecting a lot more, but they are really delivering.

Tomcat

Kydd BlaZe said:
Good question. This only poses a problem in Execution (where you have to be right on top of your enemy to kill him), but for other modes such as Warzone, Guardian, etc. i'm sure that you will be able to just finish them from afar.

I have no idea how this will work in Exectition, though.

Yes i am talking about execution which is the most popular mode in gears. I hope cliffyb can clear the subject

Shins

Banned
Tomcat said:
Yes i am talking about execution which is the most popular mode in gears. I hope cliffyb can clear the subject
Warzone is actually the most popular, I believe. I don't know how. Execution is the best.

Having whoever downed the enemy using martyrdom receive the kill if the fellow blows himself up seems like it would work. Less kill-stealing too.

Kydd BlaZe

Shins said:
Warzone is actually the most popular, I believe. I don't know how. Execution is the best.

Having whoever downed the enemy using martyrdom receive the kill if the fellow blows himself up seems like it would work. Less kill-stealing too.

Eh...I actually can't stand Execution. Warzone is where it's at, IMO.

Shins

Banned
I think Execution plays to the strengths of the cover mechanic and close-quarters action. Plus, with the extreme overpowering of the Lancer after the last patch, I can't stand the thought of Warzone.

Kydd BlaZe

Warzone matches are a bit more intense, IMO. Since you can't immediately get back up after being put down (unless of course, an ally revives you). Execution basically eleminates most long range combat. In fact, I think Warzone plays much better to the strengths of the cover system, more so than Execution. You would play more conservatively in Warzone than Execution, because you know that you can't get right back up after being downed.

Kydd BlaZe said:
Since you can't immediately get back up after being put down (unless of course, an ally revives you). Execution basically eleminates most long range combat.
It normally takes quite a while before you get up in Execution actually, but there are too many people that sadly reduce the bleed-out time to the absolute minimum (= 5 seconds). Takes all the fun out of that mode.

I_D

MicVlaD said:
It normally takes quite a while before you get up in Execution actually, but there are too many people that sadly reduce the bleed-out time to the absolute minimum (= 5 seconds). Takes all the fun out of that mode.

Having the bleed out time very low is much more fun (IMO).

It makes sure snipers can't absolutely own every map, since when you fall, you usually fall out of their sight (behind a wall, etc.).

Considering stopping power, less bullet lag, and increased effectiveness of the Lancer and Hammerburst, I think my main gametype of choice in GoW2 will be Warzone.

It seems like it'll be incredibly annoying having to get up close to finish kills in GoW2 given the greater emphasis on the core mechanics that Cliffy and Epic seem to really want from the series.

Personally I'd like the best of both worlds. The ability to get up when downed in Warzone with a bunch of button tapping after a certain amount of time but also have the ability to be killed from range. Its just that a couple of bullets shouldn't completely take you out when downed. I'd like something like 75% of the damage it'd normally take to down you would kill you when your actually down.

That way when your down you actually have a chance of getting away and calling for help with the new systems in place for GoW2 (crawling, calling for assistance), but the enemy still has a very good chance of taking you completely out of the fight from range.

Immortal_Daemon said:
Having the bleed out time very low is much more fun (IMO).

It makes sure snipers can't absolutely own every map, since when you fall, you usually fall out of their sight (behind a wall, etc.).
I personally never understood why most people lower it to 5 seconds, unless they really are that impatient. I say this because it entirely defeats the purpose of Execution, a mode where you have to get close to someone in order to kill an enemy. So if the bleed-out time is set to 5 seconds, more often than not you won't be able to finish him off because he'll already be back on his feet by the time you're right next to him, should there be any distance between you two. And the worst part of it all is that it actually takes less than 5 seconds to revive yourself if you keep bashing the A button. The kind of Execution you prefer became very tedious due to this before a specific patch arrived, because originally you didn't die after you've been revived a certain amount. Furthermore: if there's hardly any danger of getting killed (unless a shotgun wielder sneaks up on you) because of the incredibly low bleed-out time, why should team mates even bother to rescue a fallen ally?

Lastly, snipers aren't that big of a threat in Execution because they obviously can't kill you from afar when you're down. They tend to dominate more often in Warzone instead.

painey said:
390990584_bd6211ffe0.jpg

390986698_156c35754a.jpg

made this a long time ago, time to bust it out again.

hahahaha Nice!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
When does UT3 come out? I want to know so I can see the footage >____________>

MicVlaD said:
Lastly, snipers aren't that big of a threat in Execution because they obviously can't kill you from afar when you're down.

Definitely not true.

Tomcat

UT3 Release Date: 11/07/2008

And snipers can down you 3 times in a row on execution which means that you are good as dead

Kydd BlaZe

Tomcat said:
UT3 Release Date: 11/07/2008
Huh? I thought it was due out this summer?

And the exclusive content is just video footage? Meh...I was at least hoping for some Gears character models or something.

Kydd BlaZe said:
Huh? I thought it was due out this summer?

And the exclusive content is just video footage? Meh...I was at least hoping for some Gears character models or something.
thats the 11th July :D

Oh and I can't stand execution, host will just snipe you every time you get back up or shotgun charge you, it's so annying, and if the host isn't doing said methods the match is a shotgun dance due to having to aim ahead and missing most of your shots.

Kydd BlaZe

Diablohead said:
thats the 11th July :D

Oh and I can't stand execution, host will just snipe you every time you get back up or shotgun charge you, it's so annying, and if the host isn't doing said methods the match is a shotgun dance due to having to aim ahead and missing most of your shots.

Lol, thanks for clearing that up.

And yeah, you're spot on with that description of Execution. I really don't see why so many play it.

Kibbles said:
I second that lame. I'll just wait for someone to capture it and put it online. They should've did a Multiplayer beta, then the sales would sky-rocket :p
If they let you have a bonus skin for the retail copy of Gears2 I would have snapped it up, I like how the arcade bionic commando gives an extra custome for the retail version.

Aladuf

Banned
Diablohead said:
Oh and I can't stand execution, host will just snipe you every time you get back up

You don't have to be host to snipe them when they stand back up! I do that like... EVERY TIME and I don't host. :D

(It's so fun to do!)

Aladuf

Banned
Whoa! Just found this link on N4G, theres some interesting stuff here.

http://neocrisis.com/content/view/1596/41/

Campaign:

-Will be divided into 4 Acts, with 6 chapters in each Act. Each chapter should take like 30 minutes to complete, So your looking at around a 12 hour long game possibly?
-COG tags have been replaced with war journals.
-Raven helicopter playable! Well, from what I saw it was Marcus, Dom, and Carmine (with Dizzy piloting) the Raven, with everyone shooting these new bird like creatures.
-Four player co-op confirmed
-Cole and Baird won't be introduced until the second act. The story will then shift to 2 seperate ones, Marcus's and Dom's. Marcus will have himself, Dizzy, Carmine, and Colonol Hoffman in his squad infiltrating the locust. Dom will have himself, Cole, Baird, and Tai with him looking for Maria.
-The Raam locust will appear again with signature turrets. (not a boss though)
-The Locust Queen will make an appearence but won't be a boss
-A main character will die that was in Gears 1.

Multiplayer:

-I got to play 4 maps. River, Gridlock, Subway, and Security.

Gridlock is pretty much the same physically except there is a ton of vines and trees everywhere and there is shallow water at each of the spawns. (like canals).

River is alot like Canals but bigger. What I like is there are two sweet sniping spots and little cabins like in that really dark map in Gears 1 (forgot what's it called it was DLC).

Security is ok for games like Warzone but awesome for Meatflag. The switches like in Garden return except these are giant ass lasers. The overall feel is like War Machine / Clocktower love child. Yeah, there's also a turret.

Now Subway, holy ****. Complete turn around from Gears 1, this is now my favorite map. You know those non moving trains in the first one? Well now they move! They actually stop as well! They'll go around like 3 times, (and when they move it shakes the whole map) at which you can get pwned by them. They'll then stop for like 30 seconds, in which you can get on and fight with someone else. If your still on while the train goes again, your controller will rumble and you'll be in complete darkness (you can still fight the guy). You can then get off when it comes back. Pure Awesome.

Weapons:

-Lancer is improved, my new fav weapon.
-Hammerburst is like Halo's Battle Rifle. I like it alot just it doesn't have a chainsaw... bummer. I can totally see the experienced players using this one over the lancer though.
-Boomshot's active reload shoots out both rockets at once (if you have 2 ammo) but other than that it's the same one we love from Gears 1.
-Torque Bow's active reload gives you a shorter charge time, which is sweet.
-Snub Pistol is weaker
-The Revolver is actually useful now, if you don't have an active it sucks, but with one it shoots double the speed and can down a guy fast.
-The poisen grenade is the same fog of death used in Garden.
-Shotgun is unchanged
-Smoke's make a noise and set a guy back (like if a guy is near a nade in Gears 1) and it's really funny when you tag someone!
-Sniper is unchanged.
-Flamethrower is pretty awesome. The fire in it is amazing! it's a pretty short ranged weapon and you are slightly slower if it's equipped but it's good for clearing out a tight area. You can down a guy with one melee also.
-The Hammer of Dawn is bigger but other than that it's not changed at all.
-Gorgon Pistol. You guys have seen it =P
-The guys at Epic were teasing that another weapon was in the works that I didn't play.

Gametypes:

-King of the Hill. (Annex has been axed. You have the option however to set "Player Presence" to Yes or No, so it's basically there)

-Warzone. (same as Gears 1)

-Execution. (same as Gears 1, can use the new "Y" button executions)

-Wingman. (You guys know =P)

-Meatflag. (You guys know =P)

-Team Deathmatch. (Warzone but with respawns. There is a set death count a team has to reach)

-Guardian (You guys know =P)

I spoiler tagged the one thing because it can be considered a spoiler, it's been kinda known I think, but I'm not taking a chance.

Kydd BlaZe

Holy shit @ those details. I hope this stuff is legit. 4 player co-op sounds awesome; totally feasible too, the way they have the campaign split up as well.

That info from NeoCrisis sounds awesome! Can't wait! It's going to be THE game of this holiday season. And I just may pick up UT3 depending on what's going on in my life. Never know. Want to support Epic as much as I can since they give us Gears goodness. Definitely hope we get a UT3 demo on Live.

Aladuf

Banned
Shins said:
you forgot "Hi guys, so my cousin works at Epic"

:lol Totally missed that, my eyes saw "New Gears 2 info." and I went straight to the details. There's some good stuff there. I like what they did with Subway, it seems so cool! :D

Aladuf

Banned
SweetTea023 said:
Subway seems AWESOME! We got Dan Shoe to talk Gears 2 multiplayer for over an hour and if I remember correctly he said Subway was his new fav....Sweet! I always liked the original, so I'm thinking this may be my map of choice ;)

Same here, I think I'll be even more in love with Subway in Gears 2 than in Gears 1. btw, I downloaded that podcast yesterday, and I just wanted to say that it was a good listen!

AndresON777

shooting blanks
damn those details sound awesome if they're true. the only bad part about gears 2 is that i am not going to get any sleep, i'm on 2 hours of sleep right now because i was playing execution till the birds started singing.

All that stuff seemed believable until I got to the Boomshot shitting out 2 rockets for an active.

Considering that a boomshot always comes with 2 rockets for balance purposes, how do you shoot 1 and then shoot 2 when you don't actually have 2 rockets left? Not only that, but I wouldn't even use the active anyway if that was the case, because its just a waste of ammo. 1 rocket is plenty strong enough so long as your accurate.

Aladuf

Banned
Zanboo said:

:lol :lol :lol

VegaShinra said:
So it's the same from Gears 1. :lol They tried to make it sound like this is a new feature.

I was thinking that when I read it yesterday.

Dark FaZe said:
All that stuff seemed believable until I got to the Boomshot shitting out 2 rockets for an active.

Annnnnd yeah, I read that yesterday and thought it was a bit funky, I mean, you get a weapon that holds 2 rounds.. and when you get an active after shooting off 1 round, you're now able to shoot 2 rounds. hmm... magic ammo?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Glad the info was fake, I don't want a Gears character to die at all.

Not to mention, those tidbits don't sound as good as if a new bite of info came out what it would contain.

Gears 2 GOTUG3CO! :D

Top Bottom