• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tenchu 4 (Wii) screens , triology on the way

More screens/renders/artworks :

656664564645.jpg

526315464.jpg

1654645641.jpg

45464546.jpg

4646464.jpg

54654646563463.jpg

634316345631.jpg

656565646.jpg

7858445456456.jpg

http://www.gpara.com/comingsoon/tencyu4/080609/index.php

t3.jpg

t4.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1215551_1407.html

Someone on tenchu.de translated the moon language that flashes by in the trailer.

News flash"
"Tenchu's 10th year anniversary production"
"Original staff gather together again"

(red lettering):
"Strength is concealed in the weakness"
"After the death, there is life again"
"Good turns into evil"
"A mission or an instinct?"
"One strike, certain death"
"Does this destiny shoulder both sin and punishment?"

There is speculation that Ayame will turn bad in this game. You know, 'good turns to evil'. Also, there is a bit at the end of the trailer that looks like Ayame attacking Rikimaru.

As well, since the plot revolves around Princess Kiku being kidnapped
by Bowser
, maybe, just maybe, the ninja bungle it and she dies. Therefore, we end up with Satsui no Hadou Ayame.

It's speculation.

CTLance

That Miniskirt is a terrible idea.
Other then that, looks interesting. I think I watched my friends play through the first one a few years back. Wasn't my kind of game then, but who knows... tastes change.

KevinCow said:
Flicking the Wiimote up to jump? Eh, doesn't exactly inspire confidence in their Wiimote usage.

Normally I'd tend to agree, but from what I remember of Tenchu (huge fan of the original & played the sequel and Wrath of Heaven) spamming jump wasn't ever really necessary. You leapt to grab ledges or other overhangs, and you sometimes leapt from rooftop to rooftop but a lot of your vertical movement was handled by your grapple.

While I'd have grave doubts about using a remote flick to jump in a platform game, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work well in a game like Tenchu, provided it's handled well.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
I was sold at blowing out the lantern in a flurry of crow feathers. It's good to have you back, Acquire.

Ya that jumping didn't look all that responsive. Hopefully everything will be ironed out when it ships. I'll probably buy it regardless, but it still looks kinda rough animation wise.

I was hoping they'd use the wiimote more like a mouse as first person shooters do, but it seems they're using RE tank movement...

It's probably designed with that in mind, but when I'm being stealthy in a game I'm always looking around.

Ramenman

Stormbringer said:
Well, if you watch the video closely, you'll see an icon indicating how to fling the Wiimote when he strikes the guard with his sword (around 34 seconds in)...

Looks like No More Heroes' wrestling moves.

Scrubking said:
Can someone translate what the guy is saying? I take it that glowing effect is when you become hidden in shadow?
Well, I believe he essentially doesn't say much more than what can be seen or deduced from the on-screen demo, or what has already been mentioned elsewhere, but I will leave it to someone more knowledgeable than me in Japanese to transcribe this spoken presentation bit, as there are still probably some potentially interesting details.

Anyway, while we're at it, a few more tidbits I could glean from checking out various transcriptions of the event :

- In the previous games, the player had to manage entirely the "hiding dynamic", or "the series of action that should be executed so the character could hide". However, in the upcoming game some specific actions are done automatically : for example, by doing the sliding move near a thicket and in his general direction, the character moves automatically to this hiding spot. This could also allow the character to move from thicket to thicket, and from hiding spot to hiding spot very swiftly. They believe that this is one of the numerous improvements that make the gameplay very fast and refreshing.
- Lots of gameplay variations. For example, contrarily the relatively simple and common pattern of the previous games, there is now a lot of different ways to reach the enemy. Generally, the tactical aspect has been considerably reinforced.
- They intend to max out the possibilities of the Wiimote and Nunchuk controllers
- They mention how in the previous games, you had to master how to punch a series of buttons to pull off "badass" moves, but now, thanks to the Wiimote accessibility, you can intuitively execute the move by swinging the Wiimote accordingly.
- Music [which, by the way, sounds pretty awesome so far] is by original series composer Noriyuki Asakura, with main theme sang by soprano Tomoko Shibata.

Looks like they really intend to make the best out of the platform. So far, this project sounds surprisingly ambitious too... Really interested to see how all these features will be implemented - and also, how the series fans will react to these...

EDarkness

That looks pretty cool. I only played the first PS2 Tenchu and it was okay, but not bad enough that I would not try again. This seems cool and if they can nail down the controls, then I'll try it out. Looks good, too, but a little rough around the edges animation wise.

agrajag

Banned
Fritz said:
Oh, come on now. The ground textures do look pretty decent.

Pretty decent for a PS2 game, har har! No, seriously, the whole screenshot has this kind of messy aliased look that reminds me of early PS2 games.

agrajag said:
Pretty decent for a PS2 game, har har! No, seriously, the whole screenshot has this kind of messy aliased look that reminds me of early PS2 games.
Tenchu PS2 (Fatal Shadows, a late PS2 game):

tenchu-fatal-shadows-20050208111427049_640w.jpg

School me on Tenchu: Everything i've heard leaves me to believe it is a great concept with mediocre to poor execution.

Should I be excited about this?

The trailers looks very promising and also surprising. Looks like a High-Budget game for Wii, but let us all hope that the controls won't be the issue.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Very nice. I wonder if it will come out in Europe as well....

Since Ubisoft has a publishing deal it will be released also in europe...

they should drop the number 4 like Fatal Frame did if they want to sell more... still am I the only nintendo fan feeling down about Wii graphics?

Neomoto

I think it looks really promosing so far. :) Will keep an eye on this one, it's been a looong time since I played a Tenchu game.

This is Wii exlusive?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE the Tenchu games...no matter how bad they have been scored. I love them!!

Haunted

Sato Koiji said:
This is Wii exlusive?

I LOVE the Tenchu games...no matter how bad they have been scored. I love them!!
Time to get yourself a Wii.

Sato Koiji said:
This is Wii exlusive?

There are people that are never happy about anything. You're currently on that list.

I suppose it'll go something like this. If Tenchu 4 does well, the Wii will see the whole trilogy. If it bombs, Tenchu 4 will get a HD facelift, and the triology will land elsewhere.

So all you "core" gamers that have been bitching the last couple of weeks better buy this in droves when it finally releases.

Arde5643

comedy bomb said:
I suppose it'll go something like this. If Tenchu 4 does well, the Wii will see the whole trilogy. If it bombs, Tenchu 4 will get a HD facelift, and the triology will land elsewhere.

So all you "core" gamers that have been bitching the last couple of weeks better buy this in droves when it finally releases.
Uhh yeah, no - if Tenchu 4 bombs, it won't even get any HD facelift because it will cost them too much to even do that.

The Wii is pretty much the only console where Tenchu has any chance since it's not exactly a high-budget game and with how things are going with Tecmo, it's doubtful that they'll care about giving any more budget to Tenchu franchise.

NEO Frog

Banned
Day1!!!

I've always liked this series and Thief more than Metal Gear Solid. Probably because they are more open-ended. MGS is more polished though.

Top Bottom