• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tenchu 4 (Wii) screens , triology on the way

So I just found out about this Gamasutra interview with Acquire's manager about ninja games , influences, and future project dated from...
April 25th 2008... It's pretty funny because some of his answers make considerably more sense in retrospect, now that we've found out about their next project and the context surrounding it... Some bits :

So, first of all, why did you decide to come to this GDC?

Kazuhiku Hirose: Our main objective is to attend Game Connection itself, because now we have development work in Japan, internally. But we would like to take our business worldwide because our most famous title, Tenchu, is very famous worldwide, so we need to create good IP in association with foreign publishers.

In a lot of the content we make with Japanese publishers, the IP is not good for use, worldwide. So we need to considering doing deals with big publishers like EA.

I see. So you're looking to collaborate with U.S. publishers. And do you want to develop games based on their IP, or do you want to give your IP to them?

KH: We always make our own IPs, but when we make our IPs, the IP often still doesn't belong to us [rather to the publisher], because who pays the money? That is our problem. (laughs)

Yeah. As you mentioned, a lot of Acquire's games are very Japanese-oriented; do you think that it gives you more or less appeal in the Western market?

KH: Hmm. It's a difficult question, because some Japanese styles of game, like the ninja or samurai genre, are very unique compared to other games. But on the other hand, those titles are sometimes poorly managed by publishers.

For example, according to some publisher promotions, ninja games tend to be centered around the bloody, slashing aspects.

If we would like to play up the story in our games, we will need to make more unique content, like in the fantasy genre. So I think we will make more unique content if we cooperate with foreign publishers.

Do you think that the fact that it's ninja or samurai is more appealing because it's different.

KH: Yeah, I think ninja and samurai are very attractive - but the most important thing in those games is the action itself. So we can easily use those game components on other titles.

Right. It seems that now there are only two major -- well, I guess three major companies doing like ninja-style games: There's Tecmo, Acquire, and From Software. Yeah?

KH: You're right.

So, by comparison, it seems that Acquire's games are more like actual ninja, whereas Tecmo's games are more like fighting games with ninja. So what are Acquire's rules for making a ninja more ninja?

KH: First we made Tenchu, but that was based on stealth games. I think the difference between Tenchu and Ninja Gaiden is very big. I think we understand foreign people like both games, but we like to make good stealth games.

We made a good, more realistic ninja game... we made our gameplay system so that the user can easily control ninjas, hide, and kill people from behind, and so on.

Well I was also wondering if Acquire has specific rules for what ninja should do in games. Because, yeah, it's much more stealth, and more similar to what a ninja might actually do; whereas in Ninja Gaiden, for instance, he's just basically any kind of warrior, just fighting anybody. So do you have specific kinds of rules at Acquire?

KH: Yes, but sometimes we talk to people who are training ninjas now. So they can teach us the moves that work for real-life ninjas.

In the original Tenchu days, the action was not so realistic, but we're working on that - because I think stealth games are more attractive in U.S. and Europe - there are good stealth games without ninjas, in the form of Splinter Cell and other games.

So those games have really good animation and graphics, so we need to learn from those titles.

So do you consider Splinter Cell, and Metal Gear Solid to be similar to ninja games?

KH: I think those titles are very nice to play, because they're easy to get into, and the animation and action are of a high quality.

But, ninja game have some specific aspects, because users need to play chiefly through hiding. So we try to make a game with a free, open play style.

Splinter Cell makes a stage, and the player can learn how to go to A to B, but with Tenchu, and our PS2 title, Shinobido, we make only a space, and how to play the game is based solely on the user's thoughts.

Acquire seems to have been very Sony-focused for a long time. Will you ever branch out into other platforms?

KH: Yes... of course Tenchu was originally released by Sony Music Entertainment, so we have a very good connection with Sony itself.

But we do not have any binding financial relationship with Sony, so we can work with other platforms. And at this stage we cannot say any other things, but in a few months, we can talk more about this...

I see. And I assume that if a U.S. publisher wanted to work with you on a different platform, that would be OK.

KH: Yeah, so, big publishers are focused on multiplatform gaming, so in order to get work we need to create our title on Xbox 360 and the PS3...

With those platforms, has Acquire had any difficulty working on those new platforms?

KH: We are developing our newest title, Way of the Samurai III, and we used Gamebryo technology, so the middleware supports the Xbox 360 and the Wii.

We have a relationship with that technology, because Gamebryo will be sold and supported by Emergent Technology Japan, in Japan internally, and Emergent Technology Japan is a subsidiary of Acquire.

Oh, I see. Oh! Well that's useful then.

KH: Yeah.

So I guess it should be easier for you to get into next-gen, there's a relationship there. OK. How much does the engine help? I mean, obviously there's a lot more artists needed, because it's a much bigger game...

KH: Middleware helps to develop the game in some notable aspects. For example, in multiplatform development, it's very hard to port to another platform, but Gamebryo will help to port the title between PS3 and Xbox 360.

We can use tools in Gamebryo, like the level designer or something. But if we want to use more complex parts of [the PS3's] Cell function itself, that is more difficult to control in middleware. That is a problem, but by using middleware... we can reduce our risk to develop the title, and development cost itself.

Have you had to hire more people within Acquire, to move to next-gen game stuff?

KH: We will hire more people, but the reason is not to make a big project. We will would like to add more simultaneous projects into our production schedule.

So you want multiple projects pipelined, then.

KH: Yes.

Pretty interesting indeed...

jarrod

Banned
Gamebryo? Acquire distributing it for Japan? That's really interesting and surprising imo, maybe the Japanese will catch on with middleware too?

On the other hand... no wonder Tenchu 4 looks so much better than Acquire's other games! :lol

Epic should seriously partner with JP company to localize UE3.

jaundicejuice said:
That trailer looks like a trailer. It's kind of hard to make any sort of judgement on the game when virtually nothing concrete is even shown.

I've purchased and played virtually every Tenchu with the exception of the Japan only Tenchu on the PSP and Tenchu Z. Every time I play one of those games it's like stepping into a time warp and re-experiencing late 90's 3D all over again.

The idea of being a ninja and scaling huge environments undetected, leaping out from the shadows for the kill and slink unseen back into the darkness is so damn cool but the core mechnics haven't evolved at all. Why is it that the modern Tenchu games still use the same clunky controls? Why haven't the platforming and combat evolved at all? It's like every team that's ever worked on these games purposely ignored every advancement made in 3D games in the last decade.

Why does Prince of Persia move more like a ninja than Rikimaru and human tank crew? Evovled platforming mechanics like wall running and the likes could lead to more adventurous level designs and gameplay solutions. I understand that direct combat isn't the purpose of the games but there are boss confrontations and perhaps the moments where you screw up, so why is the combat system still so clunky? You are a ninja, you should be able to dance around average foes and with deeper mechanics maybe the boss fights would be meaningful. Stealth would still matter over all for the ratings at the end of the level, it just wouldn't hurt to have better combat.

My disatisfaction with the series aside...

Maybe now that Acquire's developing the game we will see some sort of advancement in the series.

I'm with you on this one. Been a fan since the first one on the PSOne and the series needs a kick in the ass in terms of controls. Bring in something like Uncharted's free-form control scheme and we'd be rocking.

jarrod said:
On the other hand... no wonder Tenchu 4 looks so much better than Acquire's other games!

Haha, my thought exactly.

Anyway just noticed that I forgot some bits :

How do you think the market has been changing in Japan?

KH: It's very difficult question, but... now, in Japan, next-gen platforms, specifically the PS3 and Xbox 360, are not off to a good start. But Wii is very successful in Japan too, but the popular titles... are only Nintendo.

So third parties have to sell titles in Japan's market, and they go to smaller platforms like DS and PSP. I think it is not good for our industry. So we need to make a good content for each platform, like smaller handheld titles, and big titles for the PS3 and the 360.

Acquire has some content to release on each platform, so at this time we make some experimental titles which will be released on handhelds like PSP.

And we have good know-how to make action adventure and stealth games, so we will make good and larger titles which will be released on Xbox 360 and PS3.

Is good content the answer for selling more of the big consoles? It seems like a very difficult situation now, even here. Here, big consoles sell still, but even so, Wii and DS are the biggest. What do you think is the solution?

KH: (laughter) We need to learn about users. Because users' needs are changing between Wii and DS, sometimes we make good games, but for only the hardcore gaming market. I think that is very dangerous to make that kind of game, because users are changing, and the average age is getting older.

Older players may know Tenchu and those titles, but the teenage players nowadays, they didn't know Tenchu. So we need to devise a new angle to get people to play the newest stealth games.

Interesting quote. Because, well, here we are now, with the next mainline Tenchu game getting released on Wii. I guess the fact that their strategy seems to lean towards the overseas markets, and also the fact that third party Wii games tend to do pretty well there must have helped in this decision (certainly aren't the only factors though...). Also it seems like they could be seeking to work on a PS360 project. Maybe an original IP ?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
jarrod said:
I bet King's Field V is Wii-bound too.

jarrod, do not do this to me. please. i don't ask for much here, but do NOT do this.

Sticking to actually happening things, that Trailer looks surprisingly good.
It's funny how making it a Wii exclusive makes Tenchu relevant again :lol
Anyway, the music was pretty sweet also

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I love Tenchu games. I've bought and played all of them except for Tenchu DS so I am really looking forward to this.

I put a ton of hours into Tenchu Senran (Tenchu Z) and it is one of two games I actually got 1000 Achivement Points for. The game definitely isn't the best looker out there, but it does look better than the screenshots in this thread make it look. I think the graphics for Tenchu 4 look fine, but saying that they look better than the Xbox 360 game is a bit of an exaggeration I think.

batbeg

Acquire has some content to release on each platform, so at this time we make some experimental titles which will be released on handhelds like PSP.

Please be true, I'm tired of support for the PSP dying.

Mr. Pointy said:
I think I will buy Tenchu 4. Or Tenchuz as it will inevitably be called in the West.

Might cause some confusion with, you know, Tenchu Z :p

Zefah said:
I love Tenchu games. I've bought and played all of them except for Tenchu DS so I am really looking forward to this.

I put a ton of hours into Tenchu Senran (Tenchu Z) and it is one of two games I actually got 1000 Achivement Points for. The game definitely isn't the best looker out there, but it does look better than the screenshots in this thread make it look. I think the graphics for Tenchu 4 look fine, but saying that they look better than the Xbox 360 game is a bit of an exaggeration I think.
I wouldn't go as far as that. But compared to other (third party) games on the respective plattform T4 looks way above average and TZ way below average.

batbeg said:
Please be true, I'm tired of support for the PSP dying.

Might cause some confusion with, you know, Tenchu Z :p
Was this interview made before or after Namida no blahblah got released? Because Acquire might have already finished releasing all their experimental titles.

batbeg

Mr. Pointy said:
Was this interview made before or after Namida no blahblah got released? Because Acquire might have already finished releasing all their experimental titles.

It was about 2 weeks ago.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Phife Dawg said:
I wouldn't go as far as that. But compared to other (third party) games on the respective plattform T4 looks way above average and TZ way below average.

I can totally agree with that. Tenchu 4 actually looks good compared to most of the shit on the Wii, but Tenchu Z doesn't look good compared to most other 360 games even if it still has the overall edge in graphics compared to Tenchu 4.

kevm3

Tenchu 1 was awesome. Rikimaru and Ayame in Tenchu 1 were some of the greatest character designs I've seen. Haven't played 2, but heard it was great. Now, the character designs have been getting progressively more idiotic as time passes. They might as well have renamed some of the games Tenchu: Stealth Prostitute. You're a ninja trying to be stealthy, so why are you wearing a purple miniskirt and tube top? So you can wear a long sleeved shirt, but a tiny skirt with that? What sense does that make?

Maybe the gameplay will be good since Acquire is doing it.

I'm not too excited about this at all, since from what I remember, Tenchu games have mostly been just decent, but it did remind me of the "Ninja Blade" game that appeared on Microsoft's press site before one of their events. Does anyone know what's going on with that?

Tenchu series is about stealth, correct? Did they mention doing anything interesting with the Wiimote? Head tracking would be freaking awesome for a stealth game. Move your head to actually peer around corners or raise your head to look over a wall. But you know the fan ideas are always better than what's in the actual game.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Cow Mengde said:
Tenchu series is about stealth, correct? Did they mention doing anything interesting with the Wiimote? Head tracking would be freaking awesome for a stealth game. Move your head to actually peer around corners or raise your head to look over a wall. But you know the fan ideas are always better than what's in the actual game.
Yeah, that will never happen. :(
Hopefully there is some well-implemented wiimote stuff though.

JDSN

Banned
kevm3 said:
Tenchu 1 was awesome. Rikimaru and Ayame in Tenchu 1 were some of the greatest character designs I've seen. Haven't played 2, but heard it was great. Now, the character designs have been getting progressively more idiotic as time passes. They might as well have renamed some of the games Tenchu: Stealth Prostitute. You're a ninja trying to be stealthy, so why are you wearing a purple miniskirt and tube top? So you can wear a long sleeved shirt, but a tiny skirt with that? What sense does that make?

Maybe they'll say that the clothing is like that so she can distract their attacker, isnt that how they marketed Red Ninja? :lol

Rikamaru looks more badass than ever tho, his new haircut make him looks older and the mask is cool.

Fantastical said:
Yeah, that will never happen. :(
Hopefully there is some well-implemented wiimote stuff though.

Cross our fingers and hope someone would be smart enough to think of it. Jason Lee did say more developers are interested in implementing this feature in their games though. Who knows, maybe the folks making the game actually saw the tech and thought it would work well with their game. Or maybe not.

kevm3

JDSN said:
Maybe they'll say that the clothing is like that so she can distract their attacker, isnt that how they marketed Red Ninja? :lol

Rikamaru looks more badass than ever tho, his new haircut make him looks older and the mask is cool.

Yeah I like the Rikimaru design as well..

Nishastra

Banned
Yeah, Rikimaru looks... like Rikimaru. But I'm not a fan of the new Ayame. Hopefully you can unlock one of her old outfits to play as or something :p

Nishastra said:
Yeah, Rikimaru looks... like Rikimaru. But I'm not a fan of the new Ayame. Hopefully you can unlock one of her old outfits to play as or something :p

The way they keep putting Ayame in ridiculously skimpy costumes (as was said, why in the world would a ninja wear that on a mission...) is kind of stupid, yeah. Though really, the whole "Ninja" thing is all invented versus historical ninjas, so they can do what they want, really... but I did like her costume in the first game better.

Mikazuki

Army death height crane group location world
kevm3 said:

Woah, kevm! I haven't heard from you in forever.

I agree, Tenchu was amazing. It still has the best level design and music of all the games. I think it had 10 levels, and 8 of them were set in villages/forests/temples and let you go through them and kill enemies in any order you'd like. So fun to mess around with.

Tenchu 2 is HORRIBLE. The WORST! The level designs are way too linear, almost NO MUSIC, the CHEAPEST BOSSES, useless shit like dragging bodies and sheathing your weapons, a horrible story that tried to rip off ever JRPG cliche of the 32-bit era, really awful art, etc.

Tenchu Wrath of Heaven (PS2) and it's upgrade Fatal Shadows on X-Box are really great and solid. It's like the original Tenchu, much better controls, but it's about half awesome open-ended levels and half frustrating, boring linear levels.

Fatal Shadows isn't as bad as Tenchu 2, but it has lots of poor design/bullshit and it's a huge pain in the ass to get Grand Master on most stages.

I never played the PSP, DS or XBox 360 version...

KH: Yes, but sometimes we talk to people who are training ninjas now. So they can teach us the moves that work for real-life ninjas.

:lol

Mikazuki said:
Tenchu Wrath of Heaven (PS2) and it's upgrade Fatal Shadows on X-Box are really great and solid. It's like the original Tenchu, much better controls, but it's about half awesome open-ended levels and half frustrating, boring linear levels.

I liked Wrath of Heaven a lot. Was that made by Acquire or the other Tenchu team?

I don't really like Rikimaru's design. he looks like he left his weave at home or something.

John Harker said:
jarrod, do not do this to me. please. i don't ask for much here, but do NOT do this.

Sticking to actually happening things, that Trailer looks surprisingly good.
It's funny how making it a Wii exclusive makes Tenchu relevant again :lol
Anyway, the music was pretty sweet also

It's kind of predictable. There's a void on the Wii, and Tenchu is positioned to help fill that void, making it much more visible than it has been in the past. I can imagine it will see a corresponding sales boost.

The Wii is in position to be a kingmaker this gen.

pitt_norton

tenchupitt.jpg

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
AIRic said:
Well, it should be a good rental, but what I really what is a new Bushido Blade for Wii!
Nonono. Bushido Blade is my baby, and she deserves a proper physics engine which the Wii can't deliver.

Tain

Wawkljegaoeihrgkawje4hg akjwe hgakwljefh nalkjwefnh lkawje f

This is by Acquire? I'm going to have a fucking Isamu moment.

Looks like I need a Wii.

jarrod said:
Gamebryo? Acquire distributing it for Japan? That's really interesting and surprising imo, maybe the Japanese will catch on with middleware too?

On the other hand... no wonder Tenchu 4 looks so much better than Acquire's other games! :lol

Yeah, i'm surprised that Tenchu 4 looks so good. Acquire makes amazing games, but none of them really have good graphics.

Shinobido Takumi is still my favorite PS2 import(yes I'm even putting it over ESP Galuda and EDF2)

Hopefully Tenchu 4 has some sort of mission editor or one is currently in the works.

Soul4ger

Dragona Akehi said:
The fellow who leaked MGS: Twin Snakes also said a Grandia remake was going to GC.

Uh, no I didn't...

I knew a person who was intimately involved with the Twin Snakes deal. I also WROTE for a website at the time, and we reported, as a RUMOR, that Grandia was going to be ported to GC, a rumor that was going around quite a bit at the time and was printed at several sources. I definitely insisted that Twin Snakes was coming, and I was right. I never INSISTED that Grandia was coming to GC. But whatever...

If some of you took that as a fact that it was coming, I apologize for getting your hopes up, but that was never my intention... I was just reporting what I heard. I knew for a fact that Twin Snakes was coming. I have connections on that front. Don't know anyone related to Game Arts very well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Shinobido Takumi is still my favorite PS2 import(yes I'm even putting it over ESP Galuda and EDF2)

Hopefully Tenchu 4 has some sort of mission editor or one is currently in the works.

Definitely! I really think Shinobido raised the bar for Stealth/Ninja games.

I still haven't played Takumi, but I have spent more hours than I would like to mention on Imashime.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Is it really because the game is going to the Wii that makes Tenchu relevant again, or because it's Acquire returning to the series? It's the latter that has me excited, although I enjoyed K2's efforts.

BlackTyrano said:
I liked Wrath of Heaven a lot. Was that made by Acquire or the other Tenchu team?

Acquire made the original Tenchu, it's Japan-only upgrades/follow-ups Tenchu Shinobi Gaisen and Tenchu Shinobi Hyakusen, and Tenchu 2. They then went onto make Way Of The Samurai 1 and 2, then returned to ninja stealth action with Shinobido, a Shinobido fandisc with a bunch of user-made levels, and Shinobido Homura on the PSP, which is a more straight-forward version of the game (and worth checking out for importers). They also made Kamiwaza (sp), which is a unique stealth action game in that you take on the role of a thief in feudal Japan.

K2 made Tenchu 3 and onwards. Their latest game is Samurai Shodown: Edge Of Destiny for SNK.

I don't really like Rikimaru's design. he looks like he left his weave at home or something.

My only issue with the character design is Ayame's outfit. The character model also looks weird with it.

Ahh, I remember Kamiwaza. The stealth game with the funny moveset/animations. I didn't get too far in the game, though( I was playing the import at a friend's house). I think it was because I couldn't figure out the controls due to not understanding any japanese. :\

Top Bottom