• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your top 5 favorite paintings ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should be interesting to see what people pick

Personally, I can't think of 5 but I always liked this one

scream.jpg

I don't know anything about it, but it always sends chills down my spine.

Tarazet

Munch: Scream (in the OP)
Picasso: Guernica
Renoir: Girls at the Piano
Van Gogh: any of his self portraits
Rembrandt: Philosopher Meditating

Any of these would be too big to put in this post.

zoku88

I've never seen this in person, but Wikipedia has a picture of Battle of Grunwald or somethign like taht. It looks beautiful to me. I love those types of paintings.

x558h2.jpg

Anybody know what the style is called?

Koopakiller said:
It should be interesting to see what people pick

Personally, I can't think of 5 but I always liked this one

scream.jpg

I don't know anything about it, but it always sends chills down my spine.

The Scream by Edvard Munch

Definitely my favorite. It's haunting, sad, and yet beautiful at the same time. It has a warm look and feel, but it's also cold and melancholy.

JBuccCP said:
Will I get banned if I post a painting with some sex in it?

I don't think so, as long as you describe why you like it without resorting to "SEX NAKED YAY". Plus, this is a thread about art, and the human body is a work of art.

But, I'm not a moderator, so don't take my word for it.

Falch

The scream is definitely one of my favorites, though I must say my knowledge of paintings is very limited.

I like de Chirico's paintings:

nostlgia.jpg

Nostalgia of the Infinite

MysteryandMelancholyofaStreet-1.jpg

Mystery and Melancholy of a Street

Dali's great too:

1931_15.jpg

Vegetable Metamorphosis

The_Persistence_of_Memory.jpg

The Persistence of Memory

JBuccCP

RadioHeadAche said:
I don't think so, as long as you describe why you like it without resorting to "SEX NAKED YAY". Plus, this is a thread about art, and the human body is a work of art.

But, I'm not a moderator, so don't take my word for it.
I don't really have any to post. I was just looking at group sex on wikipedia and it showed some paintings on there and wondered.

Heh, Chirico. Do I see an Ico in this picture? :lol

800px-David_-_The_Death_of_Socrates.jpg

It's just a painting with an interesting subject. E.g., Socrates committing suicide rather than betray Socratic ideas.

uypeb.jpg

Just because.

ma8qd5.jpg

Do you see what's wrong with this picture?

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Bluhender Garten by Gustav Klimt, Love all his work especially his floral/tree paintings. Love a lot of the artist in Austria/Germany in the early 1900's.
2hpizoj.jpg

Untitled by Pablo Picasso
Not his best work, but the painting always reminds me of me.
1owwmd.jpg

Others.......
Impression Sunrise by Claude Monet. Love his blurry/dab like painting style.
Jackson Pollock's Number 8 and Franz Kline's Oliver painting, some my hate me for saying this, but I love the splatter, drip, dragged paint on canvas look.

Zyzyxxz

villa of Publius Fannius Synistor

One of my favorite illusionary paintings: the far wall is an perspective illusion.

hb_03.14.13a-g~av1.jpg

The Elephants
Dal%EC%20-%20The%20Elephants.jpg

Nighthawks
hopper.nighthawks.jpg

FairyD

In not particular order.

The Calling of St. Matthew - 1599 - Caravaggio

st-matthew-calling.jpg

Nude Descending a Staircase, No. 2 - 1912 - Marcel Duchamp

nude_no2.jpg

Impression, Sunrise - 1872 - Claude Monet

monet_sunrise.jpg

Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog - 1818- Caspar David Friedrich

IN460b%20A%20Wanderer%20above%20the%20Sea%20Fog%20sea_of_fog%201818.jpg

Sistine Chapel - 1508~ - Michelangelo

Sistine-Chapel-3.jpg

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Goya - Saturn devouring his son

goya.saturn-son.jpg

Francis Bacon - Study after Velazquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X

bacon_study1953.jpg

Caravaggio - St John the Baptist in the wilderness

I've seen this one at a gallery and it's awe-inspiring.
caravaggio9.jpg

Jusepe de Ribera - The martyrdom of St Bartholomew

Probably the only artist following in the wake of Caravaggio that managed to equal him.

cgfa_ribera12.jpg

Casper David Friedrich - The Wanderer above the sea of clouds

friedrich_wanderer.jpg

Crateman

FairyD said:
Nude Descending a Staircase, No. 2 - 1912 - Marcel Duchamp

nude_no2.jpg

*High Five* Duchamp is amazing.

---

Death_Born said:
uypeb.jpg

Just because.

Courbet is also one of my favorites. This self-portrait is incredible. You can admire the genious of this guy by just looking at his expression.

8wzb40.jpg

The Bride Stripped Bare By Her Bachelors, Even - Marcel Duchamp
This particular painting is 1000 times more amazing when you understand the meaning of every contraption painted. In fact, I spent 2 weeks learning about this particular painting in my Art History class... and when It finally clicked I couldn't believe how cool and complicated it was. The accidental cracks on the glass and how it relates to the whole work is beyond words.

dmxobk.jpg

Dance at Le Moulin de la Galette - Renoir

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Thai said:
swoon said:

To be frank, I'll never understand these sorts of things. My mind sees: some everyday patterns or shapes in odd colors; a soft red square; something a five year-old brought home from school. What makes them interesting, compelling, admirable...?

swoon

Cosmic Bus said:
To be frank, I'll never understand these sorts of things. My mind sees: some everyday patterns or shapes in odd colors; a soft red square; something a five year-old brought home from school. What makes them interesting, compelling, admirable...?

the rothko (the first of the paintings of mine you quoted) might need to be seen in person. its about color theory i suppose, the way the colors move your eye and the depth of the color is stunning and quite emotional. it's like drone/minimal music, in terms you'd be familiar with. it's not always about song structure. the second piece is by de kooning - and does the same for me - in person it's exciting in live - and makes you feel something instantly and it's scary and powerful. more like noise - a five year old can make noise - but that doesn't make him a member of sonic youth...or does it...

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
swoon said:
the rothko (the first of the paintings of mine you quoted) might need to be seen in person. its about color theory i suppose, the way the colors move your eye and the depth of the color is stunning and quite emotional. it's like drone/minimal music, in terms you'd be familiar with. it's not always about song structure. the second piece is by de kooning - and does the same for me - in person it's exciting in live - and makes you feel something instantly and it's scary and powerful. more like noise - a five year old can make noise - but that doesn't make him a member of sonic youth...or does it...

Hm, thanks for the response (which itself was interesting and compelling). Certainly makes me wish I could see some of these in person one day.

Sibylus

Banned
The Starry Night and Starry Night Over the Rhone, they're so dreamy and peaceful.

Am I crazy for wanting to see a movie or game rendered like that?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i love anything by gaugin. someone post some gaugin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom