• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your top 5 favorite paintings ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

tak

I love the textures found in paintings from the 1700th century. However, I hate it that you can only experience the beauty of the textures by looking at the original; the craftsmanship of the textures is lost in the copies of it.

482px-Fragonard_The_Swing.jpg

zaxor0

Death_Born said:
Heh, Chirico. Do I see an Ico in this picture? :lol

800px-David_-_The_Death_of_Socrates.jpg

It's just a painting with an interesting subject. E.g., Socrates committing suicide rather than betray Socratic ideas.

+

n63105626_30431168_3186.jpg

kennah

Carnation_Lily_Lily_Rose_B.jpg

Carnation Lily, Lily Rose by John Singer Sargent. (1885-1886). Tate British Museum, London.

The accuracy in depicting the light of dusk makes this painting my favourite.

Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog as mentioned

The Kiss, by Gustav Klimt
pKiss.jpg

Sunset Streets, by Wayne Thiebaud
86.6_01_d02.jpg

Nocturne in Black and Gold: THe Falling Rockets by Whistler
Nocturne_in_Black_and_Gold_The_Falling_Rocket.jpg

and this Andre Derain painting I absolutely adore. It's a painting of a cobblestone alley in a small town and there's an archway with trees. Really beautiful earthy oranges, reds, and greens. I think the title is something Provence or Provencale. I discovered it in an old library book once, found it inspiring, and attempted to copy it. This piece really got me to love painting. Forgot the damn name and can't find it online, too stoned.

way more

Cosmic Bus said:
To be frank, I'll never understand these sorts of things. My mind sees: some everyday patterns or shapes in odd colors; a soft red square; something a five year-old brought home from school. What makes them interesting, compelling, admirable...?

Trying to dechipher the meaning is part of the fun. Like what the fuck is this?

1939_the_furniture_of_time.jpg

Yves Tanguy - The Furniture of Time.

At first they appear as ordinary objects but then you realize they are just disorganized figures. What reason does anyone have for painting that? The less you look at it the more sense it makes.

Piet_Mondrian_Tableau_11_1921-25.jpg

I also love to see Piet Mondrian's stuff in person. It's amazing to how by obscuring one dark line throws the entire painting into disarray. He composed each work to be in perfect balance.

Hieronymus Bosch - Garden of Earthly Delights
1garden.jpg

Eugene Ferdinand - Entry of the Crusaders Into Constantinople
The+Crusaders+Entry+into+Constantinople-1024x768-6330.jpg

and some of my friend's paintings, Pellet
eatstapesplanb.gif

pizzoli001.gif

and this painting that i've been trying to figure out who painted it and the name of it
1217311610_arghoslent1.jpg

theres a Baroque era painting of Jesus at a very very extreme angle from the foot. I don't remember the name, but the view is extremely dramatic.

Dead Man

Don't have 5 paintings, but 5 painters?

Bosch
Goya
Klimt
Dali
Much

Heaps of others too, but those are probably my favourites.

slider

Some really cool works here. I'd agree with Tak - some paintings really have to be seen in real life. That was particularly true with some of Monet's works. Seeing a print in a book, not getting a sense of the size, not seeing the brush strokes... you miss so much.

Seen some Caravaggio posted before. What a character.

2193tyt.jpg

Also, if you wanna appear as if you really know your stuff Richard Gerstl is worth throwing into a conversation.

8x3gxf.jpg

If you know anything about either artist (especially Gerstl) you'll be intrigued. That guy really was passionate. That's why that self portrait is slightly creepy.

Boozeroony

Judith_Beheading_Holofernes_Caravaggio.JPG

Judith beheading Holofernes by Caravaggio.

235_rembrandt%20nightwatch.JPG

Nightwatch by Rembrandt.

300px-JohannesVermeer-TheAstronomer(1668).jpg

The Astronomer by Johannes Vermeer.

479.jpg

The Cafe Terrace on the Place du Forum Arles at Night by Vincent van Gogh.

20050214112551!Leonardo_da_Vinci_Adoration_of_the_Magi.jpg

Adoration of the Magi by Leonardo da Vinci.

fog2ti.jpg

Edouard Manet - Olympia

Not really a favourite, but I find this one particularly haunting. I just find her calm stare somewhat disconcerting. It's as though her eyes are staring into my soul. It doesn't exactly help that she doesn't seem to be afraid of anything. After all, she's lying there naked with two other people in the room (yourself and her African servant) and doesn't even flinch.

This is a woman who takes shit from no man, no matter how much power he's got.

Also, this is cheating, but I can't stress enough how beautiful this is:

2sbq5jl.jpg

Gian Lorenzo Bernini - Apollo and Daphne

Photos don't do it justice though :(

Many cool paintings posted already:

- Wanderer Above the Sea and Fog
- Nighthawks
- Chirico's paintings: they're so creepy, desolate, empty. The ideal setting for a nightmare.

I also like Manet's paintings, because it gives us a look at the late 19th century. I like it when I can get the Zeitgeist out of a painting. History fascinates me.

Also a request: does anyone know what painting I'm searching for: it's a painting with people sitting on the grass heaving a pick nick, with a lake at the left side. It's a representation of the 19th century, since woman have wide dresses and hold little umbrella's above their head. I'd say it's also a Manet, but I'm not sure.

Also, to add one more Dali painting to this thread, my favorite of him: The temptation of Saint Antony
3Salvador-Dali-The-Temptation-Of-Saint-Anthony.jpg

CzarTim

Gustave Caillebotte, Paris Street; Rainy Day, 1877

rainyday.jpg

There's something so lonely about this image; yet calming.

czartim said:
Gustave Caillebotte, Paris Street; Rainy Day, 1877

rainyday.jpg

There's something so lonely about this image; yet calming.
See, these are paintings I found awesome. It's like a picture from another time, when pictures weren't yet invented, or in this case not common good yet. It's Paris from the 1870s! How awesome is that!?! :D

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Yo, this thread is seriously lacking in RUBENSSSSSSSS

This is only part of my personal favorite painting:

My 2nd favorite painter, back in his day, I'd be made fun of for liking both him and Rubens. That man is Poussin:

3rd is my favorite portrait ever by a man named Van Dyck:

4th is Rembrandt cause he's fucking awesome.

5th goes to Michelangelo cause I don't wanna totally diss Italy. Caravaggio is soooooo overrated.

hiredhand

1135223402777.jpeg

Hugo Simberg - The Wounden Angel
725px-Hugo_Simberg_Garden_of_Death.jpg

Hugo Simberg - The Garden of Death
The_Fighting_Capercaillies_by_Ferdinand_von_Wright.jpg

Ferdinand von Wright - The Fighting Capercaillies
nobodysspendingfool.jpg

Carl Barks - Nobody's Spending Fool
Gallen-Kallela_The_defence_of_the_Sampo.png

Akseli Gallen-Kallela - The Defence Of The Sampo

Blutonium

zoku88 said:
I've never seen this in person, but Wikipedia has a picture of Battle of Grunwald or somethign like taht. It looks beautiful to me. I love those types of paintings.

x558h2.jpg

Anybody know what the style is called?

I think that's Baroque

AMUSIX

Boozeroony said:
Judith_Beheading_Holofernes_Caravaggio.JPG

Judith beheading Holofernes by Caravaggio.
Ugh, I understand the praise this gets for lighting, but I find this painting so wrong on so many levels. Judith looks so weak and timid, not at all resigned to the task at hand...
For a proper Judith Slaying Holofernes, turn to a woman (Artemisia Gentileschi):
1.jpg

My other four:
Gericault's Raft of the Medusa
medusa.jpg

Velázquez's Las Hilanderas (or Fable of Aracne) which has one of the most awesome stories surrounding it...
El%20arte%20y%20la%20historia%20-%20Edad%20Moderna%20-%20Arte%20Barroco%20-%20España%20-%20Velázquez%20-%20Las%20Hilanderas%20o%20La%20fábula%20de%20Aracne.jpg

Voyage of Life: Youth by Thomas Cole
Cole_Thomas_The_Voyage_of_Life_Youth_1842.jpg

Joseph Wright's "An Experiment on a Bird in the Air Pump"
birdpump.jpg

Finally, this is an additional entry, as it is not a painting, but a woodblock print.
Toshogu Shrine by Hiroshi Yoshida
picture1.jpg

Hmm, the more I think about this, the more diverse and numerous my entries would become, but these are the 5 that instantly popped into my head...certainly every single one has struck me intensely in person.

edit: ha...just realized that each of my 5 is in a different museum in a different city. The Uffizi in Firenze, the Louvre in Paris, the Museo del Prado in Madrid, the National Gallery of Art in Washington DC, and National Gallery in London, respectively

wow, that's way too hard for me.. there are so many great drawings and paintings..

but here is one of my favourites from Egon Schiele:
nacktewahrheit_schiele_sitzenderakt_sm.jpg

"It misses the point to ask me what scenes in my paintings 'mean'. Simply, I do not know, myself. Moreover, I am not at all interested in knowing"

beks48.jpg

beks50.jpg

Zdzislaw Beksinski

Dr. Acid Avatar said:
"It misses the point to ask me what scenes in my paintings 'mean'. Simply, I do not know, myself. Moreover, I am not at all interested in knowing"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Spiral-Out/beks48.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Awesome painting. Who made it?

Dascu

Souldriver said:
Also a request: does anyone know what painting I'm searching for: it's a painting with people sitting on the grass heaving a pick nick, with a lake at the left side. It's a representation of the 19th century, since woman have wide dresses and hold little umbrella's above their head. I'd say it's also a Manet, but I'm not sure.
La Grande Jatte, by Seurat.

Arcipello

only just realised how similar these too are just now.

ico_cover.jpg

chiricopainting.jpg

and now some of my favourite stuff.

waterhouse
waterhouse.jpg

waterhouse.jpg

sargent
Sargent%20-%20Daughters.jpg

his tonal work was just soooo precise.

Koopakiller said:
It should be interesting to see what people pick

Personally, I can't think of 5 but I always liked this one

scream.jpg

I don't know anything about it, but it always sends chills down my spine.

I carved this into a pumpkin one year. Probably my best pumpkin ever.

Not heard to do, either.

Napoleon at the Saint-Bernard Pass - Jacques-Louis David
NapoleonStart%20copy-704617.jpg

Earthquake - Helnwein
gh263.jpg

The Night Before the Exam - Leonid Pasternak
Pasternak_the_Night.jpg

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Here is on that I couldn't remember the name of.

turner.jpg

Joseph Mallord William Turner, The Harbor at Dieppe, 1826.

Crateman said:
The Bride Stripped Bare By Her Bachelors, Even - Marcel Duchamp
This particular painting is 1000 times more amazing when you understand the meaning of every contraption painted. In fact, I spent 2 weeks learning about this particular painting in my Art History class... and when It finally clicked I couldn't believe how cool and complicated it was. The accidental cracks on the glass and how it relates to the whole work is beyond words.

Can you suggest where more information could be found on this? Sounds interesting ...

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Falch said:
The scream is definitely one of my favorites, though I must say my knowledge of paintings is very limited.

I like de Chirico's paintings:

nostlgia.jpg

Nostalgia of the Infinite

MysteryandMelancholyofaStreet-1.jpg

Mystery and Melancholy of a Street
Box-l-jp.jpg

WTF??? mindblown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom