• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your top 5 favorite paintings ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my favorite pieces of art:
mucha_seasons.jpg

A while back I stumbled upon a book of prints at a friend's house of Alfons Mucha's artwork, turns out his Uncle has a room furnished Art Nouveau style, including some original Mucha prints.
Both renditions of the seasons I loved, the flowers and stars are exceptional. I am debating getting more of these:
Picture2-7.png

(Yes that is my arm)

Other favorite artists: Paul Gauguin, Barbara Kruger, & Edvard Munch

Rocwell

Lots of good art in this thread. Here are some of my favorites I hadn't seen posted yet.

michelangelo_the_libyansybiljpg.jpg

Libyan Sibyl, detail from the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel by Michelangelo

blake_ancient_of_days.jpg

The Ancient of Days by William Blake

botticelli9.JPG

Fortitude by Sandro Botticelli

540px-Durer_Young_Hare.jpg

The Young Hare by Albrecht Durer

basquiat%20horn%20players%201983.jpg

Horn Players by Jean-Michel Basquiat

Rockwell%2C%20Gaiety%20Dance%20Team%201937.jpg

Gaiety Dance Team by Norman Rockwell

Bonus:

280px-Statue-Augustus.jpg

Augusts of Prima Porta

Canova

Banned
For sculptures, I like this the most,

Perseus by Benvenuto Cellini, 1545-54. 320 cm. So badass!
450px-PerseusSignoriaStatue.jpg

AND

Mercury by Giambologna, 180cm.
924-004-CCAEEFA1.jpg

For antiquity, this is my favorite:
Lacoon
10.+Lacoon+and+his+sons.jpg

Damn it!!! this thread makes me wanna go back to Italy!!!!

baultista

Banned
Artistic Paintings:
C50741big.jpg

Funnyfaces6001.jpg

Also the one with the half-naked brunette being attacked by cupid. She's topless so I can't look it up here, even though it's art.

Paintings for lulz:

lol-star_wars_rock_band.jpg

2488608892_6e33dbd72a.jpg

karasu

I don't know about 'favorite of all time', but five I love are:

1i0f41.jpg

The Slave Ship - J.M.W. Turner

11b27p4.jpg

Liberty leading the People - Eugene Delacroix

zvwg2r.jpg

One of Elisabeth Louise Vigee-LeBrun's self portraits

okwork.jpg

Judith Slaying Holofernes

33cqipu.jpg

Allegory of the Outbreak of War - Peter Paul Reubens

Anth0ny

My personal favourite:

kramer.jpg

I sense great vulcrability. A land child crying out for love, an innocent orphan in the post-modern world.

I see a parasite. A sexually-depraved miscrient, who is seeking to gratify only his
most basic and immediate urges.

He is struggled, he is man-struggled. He lifts my spirit! He is a loathsome, offensive brute, yet I can't look away.

He transcends time and space. I love it.

okno

Skittleguy said:
So many of my favs have already been posted, so i contribute:
painting
Gustav Klimt - The Kiss

I love Klimt. Especially this painting:
gkl006b.jpg

It's extraordinary when viewed up-close, but the painting gains this whole new meaning because the original, and many other works of his, were destroyed during WW2 by the Nazis. It's such a phenomenal work of art, and I would have loved to have seen the original. I believe it is a painting of his grandmother.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Rocwell said:
basquiat%20horn%20players%201983.jpg

Horn Players by Jean-Michel Basquiat
Omg, you are officially the coolest Junior member ever to me! I love Jean Michel Basquiat's work so much. That one is also one of my favorites.

Rocwell

Rewrite said:
Omg, you are officially the coolest Junior member ever to me! I love Jean Michel Basquiat's work so much. That one is also one of my favorites.
I actually got to see a Basquiat exhibit (including that painting) when I took a trip to Italy a few years ago in Milan. It was so serendipitous, I wasn't looking for a museum particularly and saw they had a Basquiat show going. I also did a painting based on it for a watercolor class I took. :D

Picture002.jpg

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Rocwell said:
I actually got to see a Basquiat exhibit (including that painting) when I took a trip to Italy a few years ago in Milan. It was so serendipitous, I wasn't looking for a museum particularly and saw they had a Basquiat show going. I also did a painting based on it for a watercolor class I took. :D

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h185/DebtROC/arts/Picture002.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
:bow :bow :bow You keep getting cooler by the second. So awesome and nice work, man!

I also went to an exhibit here in the Museum of Contemporary Art in Los Angeles and it was amazing seeing his art up front. You see his footsteps in some of the pieces and you're left thinking: "This man was standing here creating this beauty!" Truly awesome exhibit. Glad you also got to see his art. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom