• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your top 5 favorite paintings ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I love some of you guys for having such great likings to paintings. I've always enjoyed a lot of the artwork that Jean Michel Basquiat did.
300px-untitled_acrylic_and_mixed_media_on_canvas_by_-jean-michel_basquiat-_1984.jpg

basquiat-jean-michel-mona-lisa-8800167.jpg

jean-michel-basquiat.jpg

Justin Bailey

------ ------
My favorite painting is Starry Night. I also like other stuff by Van Gogh like Cafe Terrace at Night and Bedroom in Arles. The Persistence of Memory is also awesome.

I'm obviously pretty traditional when it comes to paintings. I don't get most modern art. I've been to a few modern art museums and can appreciate it for it's. . . quirkiness I suppose, but I just don't see it. I'm talking about stuff like someone signing a urinal and calling it art or a basketball suspended inside of an aquarium.

I'm trying to remember a Croatian (possibly Montenegrin) painter, he used to draw incredibly colourful and somewhat cartoonish vistas on farmers and their life. Anyone got a clue?

DubloSeven said:
Napoleon at the Saint-Bernard Pass - Jacques-Louis David
NapoleonStart%20copy-704617.jpg
yeah, that napoleon image is one of the finest. it is carved in my brain. beautifull

this thread made look at some of my artbooks again.. damn, i have a lot of them.. i've neglected them for years... gotta see some great art this weekend...

Crateman

B-B-Bomba! said:
Can you suggest where more information could be found on this? Sounds interesting ...

I would suggest reading everything related to Marcel Duchamp's work in order to fully grasp what's represented in the painting. Briefly, I can say that most of the contraptions painted are previous works of Marcel and he interconnected their meanings in a bigger, more ambitious work. So far we've spent 3 weeks in art history class just studying his work and why is it so important and every day my mind is blown by the genius of this guy. There are some stuff at www.toutfait.com that might interest you.

8wzb40.jpg

The painting is more less like a blueprint of a machine. You see the lines that connect the 8 figures that are on the lower part of the painting? Those lines have engineer like precision... but based on a measure scale that he invented by trowing a piece of string that measured one meter on the floor and then taping it. The new measure would be the basis of some of his works. All of this just to make fun of the exactitude of science. You see the series of cones that are painted on the bottom half? To paint that texture he let the painting near a window for weeks until enough dust was collected and he painted over the dust. You see a series of dots on the upper half of the painting, to the right? They are product of the machine represented on the bottom half. Everything has a meaning. Most of the explanations are product of studying a box which Marcel filled with random notes and sketches explaining how the machine worked. He didn't number any of the notes.

Marcel Duchamp is the king of irony. Most of the stuff he did was just to make fun of art, science, and himself.

Ceres

Banned
5. Springtime by Pierre-Auguste Cot
213iy3k.jpg

4. Lucas by Chuck Close
Link to bigger version
30at7k5.jpg

3. The Third of May 1808 by Francisco Goya

1o3qbt.jpg

2. La Primevere et La Plume by Alphonse Mucha. Probably my overall favorite artist. You could pretty much replace this image with any of his and I absolutely love it. Our entire downstairs is filled with his artwork.
2v0kc9l.jpg

1. Lady of Shallot by John William Waterhouse. It's been my favorite painting since high school.
in71a0.jpg

No love for Kandinsky? I have these two in my family room, plus another I can't find a pic of at the moment. [EDIT: beaten by one post!]

SHD70008.JPG

Mit und Gegen

ima-6055.jpg

Leger

And although it's not a painting, this is my favorite piece of art ever. Created for the cover of New Order's 'True Faith' single by English graphic designer Peter Saville.

saville_truefaith.jpg

Kola

Great pictures so far. I really adore the work of Caspar David Friedrich and Beksinski. But it's quite astonishing that no one posted work by M. C. Escher.

philosophie_Escher_OtherWorld.jpg

I mean, this should ring a bell in a forum like this one. Shiggy, ummm, probably liked it too.

First three below by Juhani Linnovaara

There aren't nearly his best works, but there are no good images of them online.

"Summer night"
kesayo.gif

Don't know...
pgzcdlyzcxie7peic5to.jpg

Don't know...
e28swz619qqh9yilox0f.jpg

The Dali's at Stockholm's museum of modern art are very impressive... Especially this... "Enigma of William Tell"

3Salvador-Dali-The-Enigma-Of-William-Tell.jpg

"A day in July" by Eero Järnefelt... absolutely huge and very nice when I saw it live, but this is the only crappy photo I could find, and it (picture, sky is really the best part about it, can barely see it) has poor colors...

maalaus_jarnefelt.jpg

Couldn't find a bigger web image, but this is my favorite painting - Gerhard Richter's "Reader".

lesende.jpg

My girlfriend bought me an awesome print of it which I have hanging at home. The original is at the SF MOMA.

EDIT: Did somebody seriously post Kinkade?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yoopoo said:
Zdzisław Beksiński's paintings give me orgasms.

wow. this is the sort of painting that makes me want to write. or at the very least to read something that uses this as an illustration. or play a game with that visual. very, very creatively inspiring and intriguing. love it.

thomaser

When I think about it, I forgot my absolute favourite. This one, which my grandfather painted, and gave to me on my 14th birthday. He took a short course in painting when he retired, and started painting from photographs. He would always sit in his garage, where he had his atelier (along with all sorts of cool stuff - it was the best place to be when I was little). The painting is from a place called Trollstigen quite near where I live.

ojohs.jpg

I also like another local painter, a pretty famous one called Ørnulf Opdahl. He mostly paints the fjords and islands around here, focusing on light and shadows. I've long wanted to buy one of his paintings, but then I saw the going prices one day and promptly forgot about it.

8_46.jpg

The Last Light
8_44.jpg

Light over the mountain

cluto

Crateman said:
I would suggest reading everything related to Marcel Duchamp's work in order to fully grasp what's represented in the painting. Briefly, I can say that most of the contraptions painted are previous works of Marcel and he interconnected their meanings in a bigger, more ambitious work. So far we've spent 3 weeks in art history class just studying his work and why is it so important and every day my mind is blown by the genius of this guy. There are some stuff at www.toutfait.com that might interest you.
Hopefully your art history professor told you about http://www.understandingduchamp.com/

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
gollumav-1.jpg

Thread has made me realize I have very little opinion on paintings, I think they're all great.

elseanio

I often go look at my favourite painting, since its in one my cities art galleries

'Echo and Narcissus', Waterhouse
2yotsie.jpg

some of my other favourites

'Gala of the Spheres', Dali
ic5mkh.jpg

'Soctland Forever', Elizabeth Thompson
2sa0968.jpg

'Ophelia', Millais
23gzfc2.jpg

Battle of the Amazons
aawrkl.jpg

Four Continents
2dk0fp1.jpg

Both by Peter Paul Rubens. Incredibly nifty thread. I've been introduced to several really nice pieces and artists. (Wtf@ Giuseppe Arcimboldo?)

Ikopi

Some great paintings here.

Claude Lorrain - The Embarkation of the Queen of Sheba

800px-Claude_Lorrain_008.jpg

Hangs in the National Gallery. The use of light is spectacular.

bengraven

Ceres said:
5. Springtime by Pierre-Auguste Cot
4. Lucas by Chuck Close
3. The Third of May 1808 by Francisco Goya
2. La Primevere et La Plume by Alphonse Mucha. Probably my overall favorite artist. You could pretty much replace this image with any of his and I absolutely love it. Our entire downstairs is filled with his artwork.
1. Lady of Shallot by John William Waterhouse. It's been my favorite painting since high school.

If you were female, I would ditch my fiancee and marry you. Those are some of my favorite painters of all time.

Let's add some more Neoclassicism or Pre-Raphaelite and we're fucking sold.

And let's add one more Waterhouse:

John_William_Waterhouse_-_Hylas_and_the_Nymphs_%281896%29.jpg

and an Arthur Hughes:

332px-

Akira

Anasui Kishibe said:
Francesco Hayez, The kiss

FrancescoHayez-The-Kiss-1859.jpg

:O HOW?!

I'm just wondering if there's any artists today, in this world where we all have cameras, that have the skill to produce an almost photorealistic painting like this one and other paintings in this thread.

5 - Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte (Seurat)
4 - The Starry Night (Van Gogh)
3 - The Old Guitarist (Picasso)
2 - with Fifteen Sunflowers (Van Gogh)
1 - Hands with Bouquet (Picasso)*

*not a painting but i don't care because it's awesome.

Foob said:
I don't know how famous a painting this is, but man, this brought a tear to my eye.

Damn, really? I literally cringed when I saw it. It's the most cloyingly bathetic thing ever.

Also: thumbs up for whoever posted the Schiele, Duchamp and Kandinsky. Those would've been my choices.

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
Friedrich is great, but I don't think Traveler is his best painting. Monk by the Seashore and this are much better:

376.jpg

Dr.Acula said:
John_Henry_Fuseli_-_The_Nightmare.jpg

John Henry Fuseli - The Nightmare
Fuseli is tight.

muttyeah416 said:
Nocturne in Black and Gold: THe Falling Rockets by Whistler
The Nocturnes are really great. Whistler is amazing as a personality; have you read some of the things he said in the trials versus Ruskin? So cool.

akachan ningen said:
no offense, but that's the most awful thing I've seen in my life.
Why? Because you're a cretin.

How about some Ed Ruscha?
139.jpg

106.jpg

PirateSean said:
'Ophelia', Millais
23gzfc2.jpg
I was just image searching this to add to my list, but was happy to see someone else listed it! Millais is tight.

I've always loved Simone Martini's Annunciation, too:

martini_annunciation.jpg

Akira said:

I'm just wondering if there's any artists today, in this world where we all have cameras, that have the skill to produce an almost photorealistic painting like this one and other paintings in this thread.
Yeah, there's a lot of them. There's a British guy who does some really amazing paintings using enamel model paints, but I have forgotten his name. I saw this in person recently, but it ironically looks better in photographs:

e9c19e4d75b08b188bbd.jpeg

Leonsito said:
Holy fuck at the dress.

Akira said:

my feelings exactly. That dress is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen on a painting. I don't know how Francesco did it, but those were great artists for a reason

Ceres

Banned
bengraven said:
If you were female, I would ditch my fiancee and marry you. Those are some of my favorite painters of all time.

I am a female but I just got married on Saturday so sorry
28uo2sl.jpg

bengraven

Ceres said:
I am a female but I just got married on Saturday so sorry
28uo2sl.jpg

It's all good! Just give my own fiancee your taste in paintings so I can talk her into putting up prints in our apartment! :lol

Yixian

Banned
1) Guernica ~ Picasso

35n0axu.jpg

2) Man, Controller of the Universe ~ Rivera

bigController2d.JPG

3) The School of Athens ~ Raphael

school_athens.jpg

4) The Third of May 1808 ~ Goya

thirdofmay.jpg

5) Wheat Field with Crows ~ Van Gogh

Vincent_van_Gogh_%281853-1890%29_-_Wheat_Field_with_Crows_%281890%29.jpg

Honorable mentions:

Girl with a Hair Ribbon ~ Lichtenstein

Z1878_2203926~Girl-With-Hair-Ribbon-Posters.jpg

Cgop Suey ~ Edward Hopper

hopper.jpg

The Descent from the Cross ~ Rubens

rubens_descent.jpg

Las Meninas ~ Velasquez

velasquez-1656-las-meninas.jpg

After Lunch ~ Caulfield

P3602-3119_4.jpg

The Storming of the Bastille ~ Houel

Prise_de_la_Bastille.jpg

I'm lucky enough to have seen most of these in person.

yoopoo

Banned
More from Beksinski - He grew up in Austria during WWII so you can imaging what of imagery is stuck in his head.

76_08000.jpg

zdzislaw_beksinski_005.jpg

11988037_1198163259_zdzislaw_beksinski.jpg

1185072097061sy2.jpg

zdzislaw_beksinski_morsir.jpg

zdzislaw_beksinski_1983.jpg

zdzislaw_beksinski_1976.jpg

zdzislaw_beksinski_1980_3.jpg

zdzislaw_beksinski_1984_3a.jpg

71_06000.jpg

ultron87

Caravaggio- David with the Head of Goliath. I haven't really been able to find a picture of a high enough quality that can capture how awesome this picture is in person.

david_with_the_head_of_goliath_rome-400.jpg

Caravaggio- Judith and Holofernes. Such a beautiful painting to contain such violence.

Image2.gif

Bernini- Apollo and Daphne. Obviously not a painting, but also the single most impressive piece of art I've seen in my life. To see this statue in person and see what Bernini was capable of with marble is simply incredible. It just captures the instant of Daphne transformation so perfectly.

Bernini-ApolloDaphne.jpg

Edit:
Oh yeah, add the Sistine Chapel wall/ceiling. Holy shit.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I was not aware Velasquez had so many fans on GAF. I've never really been into Spanish painting. I'm not surprised by all the neo-classical love on here, though. Not a fan of that movement, but I guess without it we couldn't have moved on to modern art.

Northern European painters need more love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom