• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We create "magazine ads" for the hell of it. Now: Two Out Rally

poweld

Just want to let you guys know that while I won't contribute (no skill in this area), I am thoroughly enjoying this thread.

You're all creating some really wonderful stuff :)

AniHawk

MadWorld will be the next assignment, just giving everyone a heads up. L4D will happen, so don't worry about that, guys.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
AniHawk said:
Does anyone want a third day to work on these? Or will tonight be fine as a final due date?

Either way, next game is Left 4 Dead.
:[

Despite the 9 comments for TF2?
AniHawk said:
MadWorld will be the next assignment, just giving everyone a heads up. L4D will happen, so don't worry about that, guys.
wat

AniHawk

Hazaro said:
:[

Despite the 9 comments for TF2?
wat

Yes.

We'll get around to it, trust me.

Part of this is doing stuff for games that you don't know/care about. I don't know or care much about MadWorld, but I'll make something for it, and try to do a good job too.

Also, the choices were between MadWorld and L4D. So those were the only ones I counted.

Exypher

AniHawk said:
I'm pretty satisfied with the way this one turned out (even though it's nothing more than words slapped on a picture faded at the bottom with more information stuff at the bottom... At least I'm not ripping Spoo off).

316lu34.jpg

This one's great.

Also, all of mik's ads were awesome.

Spoo

lol, time to start researching MadWorld. I know nothing about that game except that it's...very bloody. :lol

DogWelder

Juice said:
Thank you Anihawk.

I'm hardly ever on the gaming side anymore, so I caught this thread late. Great idea, but even greater participation by the community. Hilarious thread so far.

Wish I still had a Photoshop license lying around so I could dig in
I don't know if someone has suggested this already, but you may want to look into GIMP, a free graphics editor (it's what I've been using): http://www.gimp.org/

Btw, great work on ME, you guys.

AniHawk

It's weird. For everyone's love of Mirror's Edge as a topic, there were actually less entries and contributers than Persona 4.

Oh well. Three hours left.

I hope that doesn't mean a decline in the thread overall. Hopefully people will submit more for the coming ads. Just got to get some popular ones in here. Maybe the support of Madworld will bring back a lot of submissions. :D

AniHawk said:
It's weird. For everyone's love of Mirror's Edge as a topic, there were actually less entries and contributers than Persona 4.

Oh well. Three hours left.

I know I just had difficulty coming up with a workable concept. My goal was to do a "Meet the new Dorothy. Meet the new Yellow Brick Road." ad but I just couldn't get the feel right.

Part of my problem came from a lack of diversity among all of the Mirror's Edge images on the net.

Since my fiancee is enjoying Super Paper Mario right now, I might give the ME submission another try.

joesmokey

This thread is awesome, many of these ads are amazing. Makes me wish I had some artistic skill :).

Some suggestions if you want to do games already released again: Uncharted and Prince of Persia (2008). Both of these games have phenomenal artwork available and should work really well in design.

About 10 minutes early but I won't have access to my computer tomorrow. I don't really like the phrase at the top but it looked a little empty when I removed it. Suggestions?

MWad.jpg

mik

mik is unbeatable
Nice! I was trying to work one up that had "defy gravity" as a component. I was thinking of having "defy" crossed out and replaced with "deny" but that was a little too obtuse. I like the way you solved it better.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
@mik: you definitely have that scratchy white texture down! ;)

The blood pool/trail is the only thing looking less than professional. On the left, it looks like it's floating. Something just isn't right about the shadows.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
AniHawk said:
Two right off the bat. Looks like someone beat me to the punch on one of them again.

IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/2quktmr.jpg[/IMG]

IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/16m57pu.jpg[/IMG]

Oh, I think your first one is far more effective than the other previously posted.

On the second, I think it sets up the joke, "what's black, white, and red all over?"

AniHawk

PantherLotus said:
On the second, I think it sets up the joke, "what's black, white, and red all over?"

God dammit. :lol

Sounds like a great tag for someone else. I have two other ideas I want to try out first.

painey

mik, godamn you are wasted in healthcare :lol
I didnt know anything about the game, and wikipedia was bare so this is what I came up with real quick, I dont like how the stamp looks so artificial but I would go insane if i kept working on it.

3230915332_0c0ebf0110_o.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
TheGOHN said:

Yours would be simply beautiful without any of that awful text and text shadowing. The logos could be simplified and cleaned up and you'd truly have something that looks professional.

(and this isn't just directed at you)

1. @ GAF: can we all agree that nobody is going to pay you for what you created here? The 'gaf logo' isn't needed and only muddies up your compositions.

2. @ GAF: please visit dafont.com. Your hard work doesn't stop at slapping some images together and thinking up a snappy one-liner.

AniHawk

The Blue Jihad said:
I know I just had difficulty coming up with a workable concept. My goal was to do a "Meet the new Dorothy. Meet the new Yellow Brick Road." ad but I just couldn't get the feel right.

Part of my problem came from a lack of diversity among all of the Mirror's Edge images on the net.

Since my fiancee is enjoying Super Paper Mario right now, I might give the ME submission another try.

I really had trouble coming up with a decent idea too. First it was going to be just her torso against a glass building, which reflected the entire city. "You need to get to [such and such building] in six minutes" bottom of the ad: "No sweat."

Second was going to be that, but a lower shot and the ad placed higher up, so we only see her feet and legs at the top of the screen. She'd be standing on a ledge, with glass reflecting the cityscape below.

Third was going to be multiple shots of Faith running, speedvaulting, and wall running, with red spreading from wherever her feet/hands touched.

Couldn't really get any to work (the first two due to a lack of images), and decided to go the "this is not a dream." thing as a last resort. In all of them I wanted to help convey the sense of scale and/or motion. So many people had done such a great job already that it was hard to be original.

Anyway, MadWorld should be fun.

mik

mik is unbeatable
PantherLotus said:
@mik: you definitely have that scratchy white texture down! ;)

The blood pool/trail is the only thing looking less than professional. On the left, it looks like it's floating. Something just isn't right about the shadows.

Yeah, ya know, for some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to give that pool some kind of dimension--even though it makes little to no sense. So I went back to the flat shape with a darker red, which I think works much better.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mik said:
Yeah, ya know, for some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to give that pool some kind of dimension--even though it makes little to no sense. So I went back to the flat shape with a darker red, which I think works much better.

Holy TITS that looks so much better!

pakkit

Banned
VGChampion said:
About 10 minutes early but I won't have access to my computer tomorrow. I don't really like the phrase at the top but it looked a little empty when I removed it. Suggestions?
Remove it. haha

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Top Bottom