• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MadWorld Now Half Price In UK

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems that MadWorld is now half price in many UK stores. Now would be an amazing time to buy if you live in the UK. It could use the sales.

VG247 said:
According to reports, UK shops are already dropping the price of Madworld to below the £20 mark.

It’s only been out two weeks, and suggested retail price is £34.99.

Gameplay’s selling it for £16.99, GameStation £17.99 and GAME for £19.99.

MadWorld debuted at number 34 on the all-format Top 40 at launch and quickly fell off thereafter.

Original Source: http://darkzero.co.uk/game-news/madworld-already-dropping-below-20-in-uk/
Quoted Source: http://www.vg247.com/2009/04/02/uk-shops-dropping-madworld-price-below-20/

Hiltz

Half price already? That's not a good sign.

People, support this game. Don't make Jack come after you.

Dammit Europe. First you guys complain when you don't get games and when you do get nice shit like Disaster: Day of Crisis and Madworld, you don't buy them. Next up, Fatal Frame 4. You guys don't deserve nice things.

Pimpbaa

Massive mistake to have made this game for the Wii. Everyone knows the Wii's demographic, they should have known better.

Alcibiades

massive mistake to have botched the video conversion options... that's one thing that turned me off a bit even in the US where it's not as bad...

Pimpbaa said:
Massive mistake to have made this game for the Wii. Everyone knows the Wii's demographic, they should have known better.
Sega did this to invest in new IP. They own the MadWorld IP and can make a quick dirty port with the formula to any other console now without Platinum Games. It's hardly a wasted venture. The most disheartening thing is the fact that Platinum has failed to break the West with their first game, in interviews that's been their goal.

Pimpbaa

Visualante said:
Sega did this to invest in new IP. They own the MadWorld IP and can make a quick dirty port with the formula to any other console now without Platinum Games. It's hardly a wasted venture. The most disheartening thing is the fact that Platinum has failed to break the West with their first game, in interviews that's been their goal.

It's a wasted venture until this game sells well (and when/if they port this game to the 360/PS3).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That's a shame, but its expected. It's an original IP with little to no marketing. Madworld is one of the best Wii games on the market (definitely the best non-Nintendo game, and it's greater than or equal to most of Nintendo's current titles in terms of quality).

Alcibiades said:
massive mistake to have botched the video conversion options... that's one thing that turned me off a bit even in the US where it's not as bad...
Yeah, when Joe Massmarket walked into Gameshop A they were ready to buy the game before the clerks told them the game only supported 480i and 50hz mode.

Pimpbaa said:
This is debatable. Ofg course, it's impossible to say for sure, but I believe that with a strong marketing campaign this game could, and should, have sold much more. Similarly, Madworld only works in its current state because of the Wii. I'm not saying a competent version of the game couldn't have been made for the 360 or PS3 if they set out to do so, but as it is now, Madworld is all about the controls and the presentation the Wii forced upon PG.

Pimpbaa said:
It's a wasted venture until this game sells well (and when/if they port this game to the 360/PS3).
So are you trying to say that it will only be sucessful if it gets ported, so what if it does end up selling well on Wii? And it it does get ported and still doesn't sell, will it then be a sucess?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Pimpbaa said:
For PG, perhaps. For the consumer, no.

At the every least, PG is starting to lay the foundations of a company that is synonymous with quality games. So calling it a wasted venture isn't totally accurate.

I just got this a few days ago. Great beat 'em up. I was hoping it would put up decent numbers for the month but I have seen zero promotion outside of maybe IGN. This isn't a good sign.

Pimpbaa

Knsflanagan said:
So are you trying to say that it will only be sucessful if it gets ported, so what if it does end up selling well on Wii? And it it does get ported and still doesn't sell, will it then be a sucess?

It has a better chance of salvaging some success if it does gets ported. But not as much as it would if the game had been developed on a proper gaming platform to begin with.

Pimpbaa said:
It has a better chance of salvaging some success if it does gets ported. But not as much as it would if the game had been developed on a proper gaming platform to begin with.

So let me guess you don't have it yet and don't have a Wii?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Pimpbaa said:

In all honesty it's not like this game would have had better chances on the HD consoles. New IPs struggle everywhere.

Dragmire

I don't know if it would have done much better on 360/PS3. It has a lot more competition, it's pretty short, and it's not a genre that has much of a fan base on those systems either (PS3, perhaps, for the God of War fans). I love the game though.

Pimpbaa

Knsflanagan said:
So let me guess you don't have it yet and don't have a Wii?

Bought one at launch and sold it a year after when it was clear I wasn't the demographic (gamer) they were going after.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Pimpbaa said:
Bought one at launch and sold it a year after when it was clear I wasn't the demographic (gamer) they were going after.

I have no idea what the hell that even means.

Rhetorical statement.

Pimpbaa said:
Pimpbaa said:

34evz1k.jpg
AniHawk said:
You sold it when Mario Galaxy came out?
Ya dood, wat part of real gamers don't U understand. Mario is 4 babiez (with a Z, lololoolol).

Rolf NB

AniHawk said:
Anyone wanna guess how The Conduit's gonna do? I predict sales in the thousands!
3x Madworld. The hard part is going to be ever getting the numbers for Madworld, but I do believe in that Conduit. It's an fps. That always worked well on the Wii. What could possibly go wrong.

... though I think Madworld's sales in Europe are particularly depressed due to the ridiculously botched PAL version. It should do a bit better in the US. Do not abandon all hope just yet.

EDarkness

Tenbatsu said:
Nvm, it sold 90,000 copies till now.

That doesn't seem too bad. Funny that prices collapse so fast in Europe. Here in Japan at my local stores things don't collapse so fast. Heh, Another Code is still full price and I don't know why that is. I wonder if that's the case in the U.S.

pakkit

Banned
Well, shit. I did my part. Hopefully it'll push a lot more units with the price cut, AND hopefully it's doing a lot better in the US.

Although they DID fucking release it in 50hz. smh, smh.

The motions are pretty straightforward, but this is one of the games that I think really benefits from the Wii controller.

Also, I don't think the game would have done better if it were on one of the other systems instead. People give those systems too much credit when a game under-performs on Wii. A game with no promotion isn't going to do big numbers no matter where it's put.

AniHawk

Pimpbaa said:
Shortly after I believe. If there were more games like that for it, I would have kept it.

I don't blame you. And you made a profit too, I trust.

That said, 2009's looking pretty good for the thing. It's not enough that you should rebuy it right away to pick up the few games you've missed, but it's a huge improvement over 2008. But it's mostly the type of stuff I like (platformers, crazy arcade racers and the like).

Top Bottom