• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MadWorld Now Half Price In UK

Those of you getting excited should know that the PAL version is really borked. It runs in 50 Hz only, with borders. And like the American version, there's no 480p mode either.

pakkit

Banned
IsntChrisL said:
A game with no promotion isn't going to do big numbers no matter where it's put.
I don't know about the UK, but here in the US it's gotten a shitload of promotion. However:

a) It's still a niche title.

b) It's heavily stylized graphics are a hard sell for gamers.

c) It's a game by PG.

d) It went head to head with RE5, even though it was targeting the same demographic of gamer.

e) It's commercials are well made, but lack blood, any of the exciting kills, or really any information about the game. You just see Jack looking cool with a chainsaw. If I saw the ad going in uninformed, I'd say Gears of War clone with less hi-rez graphics and continue eating my nacho dip.

Still sucks though.

Pimpbaa

AniHawk said:
I don't blame you. And you made a profit too, I trust.

Wait, I had it for 2 years (smash brothers brawl was the last game I bought for it). I dunno about profit, but I did sell it for more than any other system I've had.

Raist

Banned
pakkit said:
d) It went head to head with RE5, even though it was targeting the same demographic of gamer.

Didn't know RE5 was out on the Wii. Why did Reggie complain then!

pakkit said:
I don't know about the UK, but here in the US it's gotten a shitload of promotion. However:

c) It's a game by PG.

e) It's commercials are well made, but lack blood, any of the exciting kills, or really any information about the game. You just see Jack looking cool with a chainsaw. If I saw the ad going in uninformed, I'd say Gears of War clone with less hi-rez graphics and continue eating my nacho dip.

Still sucks though.

I'm in the US, I haven't seen any promotion, but maybe I'm not feeding myself enough TV.

pakkit said:

c) It's a game by PG.

Still sucks though.

In the UK, I see Mad World advert like every 20 minutes.

CiSTM

Banned
Too bad it's not selling well. It's really great game and deserves good sales. I think the biggest turn off for people is the graphic style. I love it but I can see if every day joe don't go nuts about it.

Yes Boss!

$42 at Amazon US right now. Not quite as good as the pre-release $40 but still good. They should have started this game at $39.99 anyways.

Pubs need to learn that $50 and $60 for games is just too much. I buy them all anyways but it is always refreshing when something streets for $40.

AniHawk

Pimpbaa said:
Wait, I had it for 2 years (smash brothers brawl was the last game I bought for it). I dunno about profit, but I did sell it for more than any other system I've had.

YOU LIED TO ME PIMPBAA.

Though if you'd sold it right after Mario Galaxy, you could've hit the Christmas rush + "the wii's never in stock" thing for extra dough.

pswii60

Rez said:
It's an original IP with little to no marketing.
You've got to be shitting me.

TV adverts all the fucking time here in the UK.

Controversial coverage in the mainstream news following 'bloody limbs' left in UK city centers.

Mainstream news coverage prior to release about parents 'not being happy' that it's being made for Wii.

All this is for the UK only of course, but then that's what this thread is about.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
pswii60 said:
You've got to be shitting me.

TV adverts all the fucking time here in the UK.

Controversial coverage in the mainstream news following 'bloody limbs' left in UK city centers.

Mainstream news coverage prior to release about parents 'not being happy' that it's being made for Wii.

All this is for the UK only of course, but then that's what this thread is about.
I live in Australia. My bad.

pakkit said:
Well, shit. I did my part. Hopefully it'll push a lot more units with the price cut, AND hopefully it's doing a lot better in the US.

Although they DID fucking release it in 50hz. smh, smh.

What?!

Are you saying it doesn't support the 60hz/480i option or 480p!!??? Is that what you're saying, because if that's what you're saying then... that's madness.

Xater

Dead Man Typing said:
What?!

Are you saying it doesn't support the 60hz/480i option or 480p!!??? Is that what you're saying, because if that's what you're saying then... that's madness.

Yep that#s what he is saying. I think it even has black PAL bars.

starmud

Expectations definitely got away from many people and even (seemingly) sega on this one. On one hand its one of the first real mature titles on the system that you can call a quality title but on the opposite hand the game boxed itself many times over to become pretty niche looking.

It was more so depressing seeing deadly creatures "bomb", with marketing it would seem to have a formula that would work on wii (a concept that could appeal to different aged gamers). Though I guess the game could still pull a de blob.

It's also been somewhat surprising seeing a lot of segas attention going to marketing at venues where people probably know of the games existence (gamestop shop promos, sites like sega nerds/chartz?)

The only upside I can see to a release on one of the HD systems is seeing it can "bomb" twice and we can avoid the what/could'a/should'a. Taking out the motion controls for button mashing would remove a big portion of the games entertainment value.

Hopefully the game can produce a reasonable showing in the states. I'm pulling for platinum games but considering the lineup, you have to wonder.

mr_nothin

Banned
Visualante said:
Sega did this to invest in new IP. They own the MadWorld IP and can make a quick dirty port with the formula to any other console now without Platinum Games. It's hardly a wasted venture. The most disheartening thing is the fact that Platinum has failed to break the West with their first game, in interviews that's been their goal.
I dont think "quick and dirty port" applies to consoles that are more than 2 times as powerful as the original system. Going from wii to 360/ps3 is definitely not "quick and dirty". I wouldnt even call that a port.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Well at least it's fun. I guess there's no arguing againt a massive pricedrop like this though. :(

I still think it would have sold poorly regardless of which platform it was on; I'm expecting the game guide to be selling for 1p in GAME just like the Too Human one did when the game itself dropped massively in price in the UK.

Xater said:
Yep that#s what he is saying. I think it even has black PAL bars

Then I can't buy that game.

I have a very strict policy about bad PAL conversions. But I can't believe that Sega would do something like that. They've released plenty of games with proper PAL conversions/480i/p support. The only Wii game that I have which doesn't support those modes is CoD3.

I am actually shocked if this is the case. It does not make sense. [/chewbaca defense]

EDIT: put in the quote I was responding to.

50hz, huge black boarders, slowdown, no progressive scan and widescreen means this title bombing makes me very happy. There is no excuse for such stupidity in the year 2009 and I won't even consider buying it until its below £!0.

Pyrokai

EDarkness said:
That doesn't seem too bad. Funny that prices collapse so fast in Europe. Here in Japan at my local stores things don't collapse so fast. Heh, Another Code is still full price and I don't know why that is. I wonder if that's the case in the U.S.

Another Code/Trace Memory isn't even in print in the US anymore :p

Dead Man Typing said:
Then I can't buy that game.

I have a very strict policy about bad PAL conversions. But I can't believe that Sega would do something like that.

This. Escpecially considering that Sega were the first company to start making optimised PAL releases a standard with the DC.

This game was not going to sell to the blue ocean crowd, it was aimed at the 'hardcore' (sigh, I hate that term) who own Wiis, but those are the same people who are going to know about shitty pal conversions, care about shitty pal conversions, and notice shitty pal conversions.

I dont support shitty pal conversions. It's 2009, not 1996.

MrNyarlathotep said:
This. Escpecially considering that Sega were the first company to start making optimised PAL releases a standard with the DC.

This game was not going to sell to the blue ocean crowd, it was aimed at the 'hardcore' (sigh, I hate that term) who own Wiis, but those are the same people who are going to know about shitty pal conversions, care about shitty pal conversions, and notice shitty pal conversions.

I dont support shitty pal conversions. It's 2009, not 1996.

Over 95% of Dreamcast games supported 480p back in 1999, a whole decade ago. Its mind boggling how we can manage to go backwards after a whole decade has passed. Simply inexcusable.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MrNyarlathotep said:

No, they're not.

High game sales come from people who don't keep up to date with by-the-minute game news, who don't frequent internet forums and websites, and who don't give two shits about a fucked up PAL conversion.

While I'm sure there are a fair few gamers who won't pick up MadWorld due to the conversion, the reality is you guys are a minority. You are not where the big sales are.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can respect people not wanting to support 50hz conversions, and I agree that it is a ridiculously stupid decision on Platinum Games' part, but honestly it didn't really matter to me as I played the game. It's not like the game played shittily as a result, in fact, having not seen much media of the game prior to release, I didn't notice anything significant other than the black bars.

I mean, it's your prerogative, but not buying a top tier game because of a triviality like this seems really senseless (not only does a game that needs support not get an extra sale, but you miss out on what is, in my opinion, a really great experience). The internet choir has sung loud enough, whether you buy this game or not, I sincerely doubt Platinum are going to spin this 50hz shit again.

But, hey, if you guys are looking for a way to save a quick buck, and not feel bad about not supporting a AAA third party Wii title, I suppose this as as good a reason as any. Ultimately, it's your loss. It is a shame though.

EatChildren said:
High game sales come from people who don't keep up to date with by-the-minute game news, who don't frequent internet forums and websites, and who don't give two shits about a fucked up PAL conversion.

Most sales on new IPs that don't have some sort of obvious and immediate hook derive from good word of mouth, or some kind of demo that proves the quality of the game, whether thats a downloadable / disk demo or simply playing the game at someone elses house.

Early adopters are often the trend setters, and if the early adopters are saying UGH then its hopes for true success are scuppered straight off the bat.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rez said:
But, hey, if you guys are looking for a way to save a quick buck, and not feel bad about not supporting a AAA third party Wii title, I suppose this as as good a reason as any. Ultimately, it's your loss. It is a shame though.

It's everybody's loss. They miss out on playing a genuinely awesome game that still plays fine even with the shitty conversion. Platinum loses out because there's no third sales category for people who chose not to buy because the game didn't meet their technical standards; they are simply labelled as a market not interested along with every other non-buyer.

The game reports as selling bad. Your reasons are irrelivant. Platinum/Sega see this and shape their development around it. Low sales = low/no profit = no money for making more games. Bad Wii sales = no more games on the Wii.

I can understand how people are making a stand over this, but you guys should at least rent the damn thing to see how it actually looks and plays.

I had the full intention of buying MadWorld at some point in the next week.

As soon as I read the thread title, I thought "that's a shame, but I'll definitely pick it up now". I'm in Australia but I've got family coming out to visit soon, so I'd have gotten someone to buy it and bring it over with them. Now, I just sent an email to my brother advicing him that he shouldn't be tempted by the >£20 price.

We have to take a stand against this kind of crap.

Nintendo shouldn't be allowing this sort of thing.

Sony should be strung up for not letting people with SDTV's play in 60hz mode. At least when playing in HD, all games are running full screen and full speed. So they should be half commended for that.

Microsoft should be praised for releasing "60hz only" games and telling bad PAL conversions to stay where they belong.

EDIT: Wow, I just read that back. I sound like a raving mad man. But there is nothing that irritates me more than a crappy PAL conversion. I refused to buy a PS2 for years because some of the best games don't support 60hz.
Now I refuse to buy one because £95 is still too much for a 9 year old machine

29gmkab.gif

EatChildren

Dead Man Typing said:
We have to take a stand against this kind of crap.

Nobody is listening to your stand. You're a non-buyer. A market not interested. That's all SEGA will see and care about.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I see where you're coming from, but you're fighting a fight that doesn't actually exist anymore. 60hz is the standard, even shovelware is in 60hz nowadays. I think that it's fair to say that a purchase of Madworld isn't going to suddenly make the whole scene take a collective step backward.

I'm not defending PG's balls stupid decision, but the notion that by not buying Madworld you will be sending the gaming industry a message other than "risky third party Wii games don't sell" is off base.

EatChildren said:
Nobody is listening to your stand. You're a non-buyer. A market not interested. That's all SEGA will see and care about.

Then fuck 'em.

I'll just buy another game in place of the poorly optimized trash we get, and if said game isn't of the same quality as Madworld? I'll just buy something else or better yet just hold onto my money.

hmm.. i may consider getting this but heard its really short so a rental for a few days may save me a quite a bit...

in any case, lots of high-profile games drop to half-price or discounted not long after release, i.e. Kane and Lynch was half-rpice after 2 weeks, LBP was down to £20 after a month or so etc..

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wackojackosnose said:
Then fuck 'em.

I'll just buy another game in place of the poorly optimized trash we get, and if said game isn't of the same quality as Madworld? I'll just buy something else or better yet just hold onto my money.
keep fighting the good fight soldier

EDarkness

Pyrokai said:
Another Code/Trace Memory isn't even in print in the US anymore :p

Crap, I forgot to add in the Wii version somewhere. My bad.

Well, I did my part and picked up a copy of the game. Thing is, I really shouldn't have. No 480p pretty much meant I had to go somewhere else to play it and as such I haven't put much time into the game. It's just such a stupid decision that it makes me sad more than anything else. In this day and age people don't simply use TVs to play games.

But one thing I thought about is I think this is just Clover's history continued. They had some good ideas, but they just don't work well with the mainstream. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Bayonetta has the same problem. What will we say if that game doesn't sell well? Will we say they should have made a Wii version? There just isn't a way to tell, but I wonder if those guys are just cursed. Heh, heh.

That said, I don't want to see them go down. Let's hope they make enough cash to keep doing what they're doing, but at some point they'd have to come to grips with the idea that they make niche games.

I wonder if 3rd parties have shot themselves in the foot when it comes to Wii games. There's so much crap out there and half hearted attempts at games that I wonder of the average "core" Wii gamer has given up even bothering to look for games. I mean, look at some of the more recent games and you'll notice that the quality just isn't really there. Not to mention a lot of the "core" game announcements recently just don't include the Wii. For example, I was really looking forward to Dead Rising Wii, but Capcom simply dropped the ball on that one. It's like Wii gamers are second class citizens.

Maybe it is just a case of Wii owners not buying "core" games, but after this past NPD, I'm not sure I buy that, either. I don't know.

Rez said:
I see where you're coming from, but you're fighting a fight that doesn't actually exist anymore. 60hz is the standard, even shovelware is in 60hz nowadays. I think that it's fair to say that a purchase of Madworld isn't going to suddenly make the whole scene take a collective step backward.

I'm not defending PG's balls stupid decision, but the notion that by not buying Madworld you will be sending the gaming industry a message other than "risky third party Wii games don't sell" is a off base.

I understand that, and you're absolutely right. I'm just a little pissed off because I just found out about this. I've been avoiding MadWorld threads because I was absolutely sure I was going to buy the game, and didn't need any more information on it. So what you're reading from me is just my gut reaction and frustration. Later will come the sorrow and pity for third party titles on the Wii.

I did buy the House Of The Dead Overkill: Bang Box, RE5 and GTA:L&D in the last month. If I hadn't spent that cash on those games I'd have bought MadWorld day 1, here in Aus. Very glad I didn't now, but still frustrated. I will direct my outrage somewhere more constructive than just continuing to rant in this thread. Whoever made this decision needs to know that it was a HUGE mistake, as I would agree that Hardcore Gamers™ spur good word of mouth which gets the mainstream sales ball rolling.

EDIT: The quality of my writing has really taken a nose dive. I'm blaming Sega.

Top Bottom