• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MadWorld Now Half Price In UK

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
kottila said:
Isn't almost every game available for under £20 relatively fast? I don't understand why games are so cheap in England. They must be selling alot to the rest of Europe
Yup, I buy most of my games from UK online stores. A few days ago I bought LBP for my brother for £15, and other than being an awesome, awesome game it's far from a bomb. GAF is over-reacting as usual with its smashing success or massive bomb dichotomy.

kottila

Jocchan said:
Yup, I buy most of my games from UK online stores. A few days ago I bought LBP for my brother for £15, and other than being an awesome, awesome game it's far from a bomb. GAF is over-reacting as usual with its smashing success or massive bomb dichotomy.

even £15 is expensive for LBP. Play.com are giving it away now:

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Rez said:
I can respect people not wanting to support 50hz conversions, and I agree that it is a ridiculously stupid decision on Platinum Games' part, but honestly it didn't really matter to me as I played the game. It's not like the game played shittily as a result, in fact, having not seen much media of the game prior to release, I didn't notice anything significant other than the black bars.

I mean, it's your prerogative, but not buying a top tier game because of a triviality like this seems really senseless (not only does a game that needs support not get an extra sale, but you miss out on what is, in my opinion, a really great experience). The internet choir has sung loud enough, whether you buy this game or not, I sincerely doubt Platinum are going to spin this 50hz shit again.

But, hey, if you guys are looking for a way to save a quick buck, and not feel bad about not supporting a AAA third party Wii title, I suppose this as as good a reason as any. Ultimately, it's your loss. It is a shame though.

You know that's not fair at all, none of it. Games without 480p support look completely distorted on my HDTV. Because of some weird geometry issues the upper part of the screen is all bent. It's also blurry like hell and on top of that very bad ghosting. Now take all that add black bars and tell me again I only want to save a quick buck and that it's just triviality.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
kottila said:
even £15 is expensive for LBP. Play.com are giving it away now:
Or 16.99 Euros (I'm not from UK) which is still less than what I paid considering play.com has free shipping. Oh well, whatever.

McBradders said:
F you fucking 50hz whiners, I'm buying this right now and I don't even own a fucking Wii.
Seriously. I can understand not being interested in the game, it appeals to a niche after all, but everyone that says "I would be all over this but I'm not buying it just because of the 50Hz" is being silly to me. Especially considering they could always import the US version (and, if they're posting of GAF, I doubt they wouldn't be able to run it in the region-locked Wii) if the shitty PAL version bothered them this much.
So they could just admit they're not that interested in the game, and that would be all.

Jocchan said:
Would you be really surprised? ;P

Sadly, no. Just as certain boarders are going to look at the (again, apparent) failure of Madworld to light up the charts and cry doom at the prospects for third party "core" titles on the system, I could certainly imagine a few devs and pubs thinking the same.

They're going to watch how The Conduit fares much more closely, though (which will surely do better than MadWorld, but unless Sega markets it right I don't expect it to set charts on fire... far from it).

I have my doubts about The Conduit as well. It's perhaps more mainstream than something like Madworld in terms of both content and style, and there's certainly an audience for the style of game on the system, but it's not got the name recognition of, say, Metroid Prime, Medal of Honour or Call of Duty, nor has it got the unique hook of something like Red Steel.

On any other system, we would expect it to be a fairly average seller and no-one would be at all surprised if it underperformed. On the Wii... well, you know the story by now.

kottila said:
Isn't almost every game available for under £20 relatively fast? I don't understand why games are so cheap in England. They must be selling alot to the rest of Europe

No not really, it happend a few times at xmas with some titles but its a pretty new thing. Im suprised at how quick this has dropped, game even had a wii bundle for £189 with madworld and hotd overkill in which means you got the both of them for £10. I dont know whats happend to game and the like since xmas but these mad reductions in games pretty soon after release are great.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Cosmonaut X said:
Sadly, no. Just as certain boarders are going to look at the (again, apparent) failure of Madworld to light up the charts and cry doom at the prospects for third party "core" titles on the system, I could certainly imagine a few devs and pubs thinking the same.

I have my doubts about The Conduit as well. It's perhaps more mainstream than something like Madworld in terms of both content and style, and there's certainly an audience for the style of game on the system, but it's not got the name recognition of, say, Metroid Prime, Medal of Honour or Call of Duty, nor has it got the unique hook of something like Red Steel.

On any other system, we would expect it to be a fairly average seller and no-one would be at all surprised if it underperformed. On the Wii... well, you know the story by now.
I agree with your post so completely it's not even funny.

supermackem said:
I dont know whats happend to game and the like since xmas but these mad reductions in games pretty soon after release are great.
Yup!

Aginor

Neo Member
Just enforces the fact that most Wii buyers in the UK are spacktards like the kind i have to endure listening to at work 30+ first time console buyers amazed by this crazy concept of moving limbs to play games not actually interested in proper games

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I honestly doubt this spells the end of decent third party support for the Wii considering only a few days ago we got two very nice and very promising third party Wii titles announced. They're not exactly going to turn into minigames and on-rail shooters now after this news are they?

People using the botched PAL conversion excuse for the poor sales are missing the big monotone picture here - though it may have explained a few refunds here and there.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
kamorra said:
You know that's not fair at all, none of it. Games without 480p support look completely distorted on my HDTV. Because of some weird geometry issues the upper part of the screen is all bent. It's also blurry like hell and on top of that very bad ghosting. Now take all that add black bars and tell me again I only want to save a quick buck and that it's just triviality.
This, I can understand, and is totally fair. That post wasn't aimed at people in the same situation as you.

kottila

supermackem said:
No not really, it happend a few times at xmas with some titles but its a pretty new thing. Im suprised at how quick this has dropped, game even had a wii bundle for £189 with madworld and hotd overkill in which means you got the both of them for £10. I dont know whats happend to game and the like since xmas but these mad reductions in games pretty soon after release are great.

I've bought nearly all my Wii games from England and MadWorld is the only one I've bought for more than £20 (wanted the soundtrack). I even got Broken Swords preordered for under £20. Now I usually only buy low selling quirky games, but I usually see big titles for £25 relatvely fast

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I find it odd how so many PAL gamers get so angry and butthurt when there are small technical differences between how games look when converted from NA or Japan to Europe. There's this bizarre amount of rage that I don't really understand. You will pass up a game that you KNOW is good because you want to "send a message about 50Hz"? REALLY?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
AniHawk said:
In America, we go back to the store, demand a refund of the price difference, and if the clerk won't do it, you yell and scream at them until you get your way.

You don't stab them above the knee? Wuss!

the game is great and its still getting regular tv ads so its quite possible that the price slashing is due to sega promoting the game to maintain sales (something they regularly do) rather than retailers collapsing the price to clear stock

danmaku

Jocchan said:

To put things in perspective, how many copies did No More Heroes sold? about 400K (worldwide) if I remember correctly. Not groundbreaking, but still more than enough for a sequel that's already in development. If MW will do the same, surely it won't bomb.

danmaku said:
To put things in perspective, how many copies did No More Heroes sold? about 400K (worldwide) if I remember correctly. Not groundbreaking, but still more than enough for a sequel that's already in development. If MW will do the same, surely it won't bomb.
No More Heroes was made on a shoe string, MadWorld cost Sega significantly more.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Htown said:
I find it odd how so many PAL gamers get so angry and butthurt when there are small technical differences between how games look when converted from NA or Japan to Europe. There's this bizarre amount of rage that I don't really understand. You will pass up a game that you KNOW is good because you want to "send a message about 50Hz"? REALLY?

Yeah, it's bizzare

near

Gold Member
frankie_baby said:
the game is great and its still getting regular tv ads so its quite possible that the price slashing is due to sega promoting the game to maintain sales (something they regularly do) rather than retailers collapsing the price to clear stock

Reducing the price by 42-51% in 14 or so days has nothing to do with maintaining sales. I'd say it's the realization point in the losses to be made if it isn't done.

Htown said:

It's the speed difference I have problem with. I don't mind the borders at all, as long as the image is still in proportion.

There's just a part of my brain that I can't switch off when I play a 50hz only game. It just bugs me. It's irrational, but if I were to play the PAL version of MadWorld all I'd be able to think about would be how the US version would be running 17% faster, and I paid just as much money for the game as they did, why should my version be slower? Even though I will probably never get the oppertunity to play the US version and sample that speed difference for myself.

It's a sickness, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the game. Which is why I said ignorance is bliss when it comes to this stuff. It's not elitist, it's petty. I don't think the game would sell considerably better if it supported 60hz, as I said most Wii owners don't even have thier machine set to 60hz because it looks terrible over the composite(yellow) lead. But I would have bought it. (well actually I'm going to have to send my Wii for repair, so I was planning on buying Madworld once it's fixed)

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Htown said:
It is, considering you chose to show a game from fifteen years ago instead of the game we're actually talking about.

You never ever mentioned Madworld in that quote, you just slapped PAL gamer who don't like slower games. And btw it doesn't matter if it's 15 years old. 50hz is 50hz. Compared to the NTSC version both games are 17% slower. Is it so difficult for you to accept that not everyone shares your opinion?

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Well so far it looks like MadWorld is following the sales pattern of Mirror's Edge pretty closely.

Mirror's Edge debuted in the UK charts at #30 and the dropped off and never showed up in the top 50 again.

I really think this has alot to do with the fact that both games were reported to be very short (5-6 hours) and had no online multiplayer to extend the value of the game. People these days just don't want to pay full price for a game of that length.

I'm sure a lot of people here will try and blame the poor sales on the Wii userbase, but I wonder how then how they explain the low sales of games like Mirror's Edge and God Hand on the 'hardcore' systems.

Dead Man Typing said:
It's the speed difference I have problem with. I don't mind the borders at all, as long as the image is still in proportion.

It's funny, I'm the exact opposite :lol , the speed difference doesnt bother me so much, but the borders are crazy. On my plasma I have a 2inch border at the top and bottom and a 1.5 inch border at each side. Sure I can do Zoom or w/e but it stretches the picture and that annoys me.

Even though I'm a bit annoyed at the throw back to old style PAL treatment with slowdown and borders and all that shite, I'm still glad I bought the game as it is clearly fucking awesome. Its the perfect game to be angry at really anyway, as you can then funnel said anger into playing the game better by wanting to do horrible HORRIBLE things to people. Which in turn gets you more points! :D

Captain AHat said:
It's funny, I'm the exact opposite :lol , the speed difference doesnt bother me so much, but the borders are crazy. On my plasma I have a 2inch border at the top and bottom and a 1.5 inch border at each side. Sure I can do Zoom or w/e but it stretches the picture and that annoys me.

Even though I'm a bit annoyed at the throw back to old style PAL treatment with slowdown and borders and all that shite, I'm still glad I bought the game as it is clearly fucking awesome. Its the perfect game to be angry at really anyway, as you can then funnel said anger into playing the game better by wanting to do horrible HORRIBLE things to people. Which in turn gets you more points! :D

Hmm.. maybe I should buy it. The crappy conversion would fuel my anger, making me want to do horrible things which gets me more points so I play it more, but continue to get angry due to the conversion...

It would a little paradox of anger.

onipex

How well did people really expect this game to sell? I expected between 50-200k in the UK. If the 90k is true than that is not that bad for a new IP.

Ordered. Wasn't going to, as I have a towering pile of games to get through, but this is a great price from what I've heard is a great game.

I play Wii games on my PC monitor (yeah, it's hardly the best way to get a good image from the system) so Madworld not supporting 480p instantly meant I couldn't buy it. So I find it hard to feel sorry for the devs when they're actively stopping me enjoying a game I was looking forward to.

onipex said:
How well did people really expect this game to sell? I expected between 50-200k in the UK. If the 90k is true than that is not that bad for a new IP.

It's not true - it's from that cesspit of sales "reporting", VGChartzzzzzzzzzzz.

Bluemercury said:
Can anyone specify the differences between pal and ntsc?besides the 50hz?

A bad 50hz conversion can lead to a game having borders at the top and bottom of the screen (squashing the image in really bad cases) and a reduction in the speed the game runs at all the time. 17% reduction to be precise.

Imagine playing a 30 frames per second game at 25fps.

EDIT: What I mean is I wrote there are no differences except the refresh rate which isn't true, there's a resolution difference too.

NTSC has a resolution of 640x480 for Standard Def 4:3 images that refreshes at 30 frames per second with a refresh rate of 60herts.

PAL has a resolution of 720x576 for Standard Def 4:3 images that refreshes at 25 frames per second with a refresh rate of 50herts.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Has the speed increase even been confirmed. I haven't noticed one.

I know this is unlikely but they could have received cheaper stock. A cheap price to draw in some more consumers could very well be one of Sega's marketing tactics.

Is there any confirmation that the game acutally runs any slower?
Just because it outputs at 50hz there is no reason that it has to be slowed down. That is just the refresh rate. Movement can still happen just as quickly and the FPS can also be the same (it just won't display as many).....

The games seems plenty quick enough for me and other than the borders at the top and bottom (i get them on the sides instead with other non-480P games) i haven't nopticed anything different from the videos.

Flavius

I wish I could just say that it sucks that a game this different and of this apparent quality isn't selling better, but upon seeing the initial screenshots and videos for this game, my first thought was this is a very Gungrave-type game.

Not sure how many of you played that one, but it had a cool, cel-shaded look, great cut scenes (I'm no anime-guy, so I'm not sure if they just pulled from a show, or if the game came first), and a pretty fucking awesome mechanic where the coffin you carried on your back functioned as several weapons and a shield (at least I think that's the way it worked, it's been years since I played).

The problem with that game was once you got past all of that, it was pretty damn repetitive. As much as I enjoyed the look and the mechanics of the game, ultimately, I just stopped and never felt compelled to return to it.

Just so we're clear here, I don't think this has as much to do with its lack of success as does the pitiful marketing, but I'm curious as to whether this is really such a fuck-awesome game, or another one of those cult titles that people latch onto just because it's so different from the rest of the Wii library.

LM4sure

Banned
I guess sales really were that bad, but maybe it's a good thing it's so cheap now. More people will get to experience it!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Flavius said:
I wish I could just say that it sucks that a game this different and of this apparent quality isn't selling better, but upon seeing the initial screenshots and videos for this game, my first thought was this is a very Gungrave-type game.

Not sure how many of you played that one, but it had a cool, cel-shaded look, great cut scenes (I'm no anime-guy, so I'm not sure if they just pulled from a show, or if the game came first), and a pretty fucking awesome mechanic where the coffin you carried on your back functioned as several weapons and a shield (at least I think that's the way it worked, it's been years since I played).

The problem with that game was once you got past all of that, it was pretty damn repetitive. As much as I enjoyed the look and the mechanics of the game, ultimately, I just stopped and never felt compelled to return to it.

Just so we're clear here, I don't think this has as much to do with its lack of success as does the pitiful marketing, but I'm curious as to whether this is really such a fuck-awesome game, or another one of those cult titles that people latch onto just because it's so different from the rest of the Wii library.

I really liked Gungrave. :D Game was first btw.

Jocchan said:
Or 16.99 Euros (I'm not from UK) which is still less than what I paid considering play.com has free shipping. Oh well, whatever.

Seriously. I can understand not being interested in the game, it appeals to a niche after all, but everyone that says "I would be all over this but I'm not buying it just because of the 50Hz" is being silly to me. Especially considering they could always import the US version (and, if they're posting of GAF, I doubt they wouldn't be able to run it in the region-locked Wii) if the shitty PAL version bothered them this much.
So they could just admit they're not that interested in the game, and that would be all.
I disagree, I don't mod my consoles. Ever. And if the PAL release of a game sucks, then I won't buy it. Just like No More Heroes because of the censoring.

I don't know what the problem with the Madworld PAL release is though, I'm simply not buying it because I sold my Wii a couple of months ago. It's a game I'd buy if I still had a Wii though :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Query;

Does anybody actually know for sure if 50hz PAL MadWorld runs slower than the US release?

I know all about the botchy slow running 50hz games (read: Sonic), but is a 50hz game guaranteed to run slower? Can it not be optimised to run at the same speed (minus some frames) as the US version? Because all I've played of MadWorld so far looks the exact same speed as all the videos I've witnessed.

It seems to me that if nobody has any proof that MadWorld definitely runs slower, then people whining about the speed are blowing a lot of hot air.

ivysaur12

Banned
If it was lighting the charts on fire, we would have heard about it by now. It still is at full price in America though, so it can't be doing that poorly. Considering the slow-burn of many Wii games, it'll probably take a few months to properly evaluate if MadWorld truly did bomb or not (but GAF doesn't work like that, so feel free to continue bitching).

shuri

Banned
Well it was a pretty terrible game by all accounts. The official thread speaks for itself.. 20+ pages before release, but post release? oh.. 4 pages max. It was a pretty big letdown.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
shuri said:
Well it was a pretty terrible game by all accounts. The official thread speaks for itself.. 20+ pages before release, but post release? oh.. 4 pages max. It was a pretty big letdown.

wat

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
And people bitched at me when I was disappointed at how poorly Overkill performed in N.A. Bah. Disappointing sales are disappointing sales, don't matter if one region does better or not.

This is still sad to see, hopefully it still becomes Clovers best selling game though. I'd hate to see PG's first game out the gate sour their business reputation (let alone turn Sega off titles like this for Wii)

Plus, it deserves a sequel.

ivysaur12

Banned
shuri said:

...no.

Top Bottom