• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MadWorld Now Half Price In UK

jrricky

Banned
shuri said:
Well it was a pretty terrible game by all accounts. The official thread speaks for itself.. 20+ pages before release, but post release? oh.. 4 pages max. It was a pretty big letdown.
Wat? I play my games and once in a while when I want or have problems I drop by in a thread...:lol :lol

Madworld deserves better sales (if) this means its underperforming.

shuri said:
Well it was a pretty terrible game by all accounts. The official thread speaks for itself.. 20+ pages before release, but post release? oh.. 4 pages max. It was a pretty big letdown.

So a game is measured by the number of pages in gaf after its release....gotacha.....Also im sure most 360/ps3 owners are just trying to ignore it, but take every opportunity to come here saying exactly what you just said....

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Dead Man Typing said:
It's the speed difference I have problem with. I don't mind the borders at all, as long as the image is still in proportion.

There's just a part of my brain that I can't switch off when I play a 50hz only game. It just bugs me. It's irrational, but if I were to play the PAL version of MadWorld all I'd be able to think about would be how the US version would be running 17% faster, and I paid just as much money for the game as they did, why should my version be slower? Even though I will probably never get the oppertunity to play the US version and sample that speed difference for myself.

It's a sickness, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the game. Which is why I said ignorance is bliss when it comes to this stuff. It's not elitist, it's petty. I don't think the game would sell considerably better if it supported 60hz, as I said most Wii owners don't even have thier machine set to 60hz because it looks terrible over the composite(yellow) lead. But I would have bought it. (well actually I'm going to have to send my Wii for repair, so I was planning on buying Madworld once it's fixed)
Dead Man Typing said:
Hmm.. maybe I should buy it. The crappy conversion would fuel my anger, making me want to do horrible things which gets me more points so I play it more, but continue to get angry due to the conversion...

It would a little paradox of anger.
Why don't you import the US version, then? I did it for No More Heroes because of the censorship, and I was more than satisfied.
Of course, with the PAL version being now much cheaper, I admit it's not an easy choice ;P

Notorious_Roy said:
I disagree, I don't mod my consoles. Ever. And if the PAL release of a game sucks, then I won't buy it. Just like No More Heroes because of the censoring.
You don't need any modchip to run imports on the Wii. Just the Homebrew Channel and GeckoOS, or - if you still consider using homebrew some kind of software modding for whatever reason - if you have a Wii with a firmware before 3.3 you can still use the Freeloader disc to load them.

dabookerman said:
It's a real shame. Madworld certainly deserves great sales.

It really does, im only upto the third boss but its alot of fun, looks great runninig in component on my 1080p lcd tv. Buy buy buy at that price people its a fun game and deserves the sales.

scarybore

Jocchan said:
Why don't you import the US version, then?

The point is you shouldn't have to. In this day and age, for a game not to have a 60hz mode is quite frankly inexcusable. Hell it is probably more work to add a fucked up PAL conversion considering you will already have a 60hz version up and running.

I also never knew that a PAL PS3 doesn't even have a 60hz mode when outputting to a SD television. Sony and games on their platforms have always been behind the ball on this issue but that really is fucking stupid.

Jon

It sounds that this poor PAL conversion is causing this price drop more than anything else. I didn't expect Madworld to sell well anyway, but I would be upset to see it bomb in other territories so soon. So far in the US the best deal I have seen is the buy one/get one 50% off at Toys R Us which is applicable to Madworld.

Jon said:
It sounds that this poor PAL conversion is causing this price drop more than anything else. I didn't expect Madworld to sell well anyway, but I would be upset to see it bomb in other territories so soon. So far in the US the best deal I have seen is the buy one/get one 50% off at Toys R Us which is applicable to Madworld.
The conversion is transparent to the vast majority of the audience.

I called it! I mean honestly LOOK AT THE GAME does it even look like it had a chance of selling? I've stated since day 1 that this game was niche and it looks like I was right. If you want to sell a niche game you have to advertise it in a specific way.

So so far of the SEGA 3:

House of the Dead Overkill = Success (it's selling far better then 2+3 did in the States and Europe)

Madworld = Bomb in U.K. and probably not too stunning sales in North America

The Conduit = ???

Pimpbaa said:
Massive mistake to have made this game for the Wii. Everyone knows the Wii's demographic, they should have known better.

Would this game have sold well on the PS3/360?

EDIT - NVM you can't answer me.

Eteric Rice

Visualante said:

I don't know. Madworld is a game for the older, more core crowd. They're the kind of people that would know about this stuff.

Isn't that price still like $40 in US dollars, though? Jesus Christ Europe gets fucked over.

eXistor

shuri said:
Umm no, the quality oozes from its every orifice. It's a pretty damn great game by all accounts...except for the camera, that does kinda blow.

Eteric Rice said:
I don't know. Madworld is a game for the older, more core crowd. They're the kind of people that would know about this stuff.

Isn't that price still like $40 in US dollars, though? Jesus Christ Europe gets fucked over.

Nope its more like $25 and that's including 15% VAT. Our currency is wirth sweet F all these days.

Since when do Wii owners care about minor framerate quibbles and resolution problems?

I thought this "I want my last 80 lines of horizontal resolution NOW" stuff was limited to the 360/PS3 crowd.

ymmv

Banned
Eteric Rice said:

Thanks to the meltdown of the pound and pricecuts after onl a few weeks us Europeans who order games in the UK pay generally less than in the US. We got some incredible christmas bargains! :lol

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Since when do Wii owners care about minor framerate quibbles and resolution problems?

I thought this "I want my last 80 lines of horizontal resolution NOW" stuff was limited to the 360/PS3 crowd.

The bordering/576i issue is pretty important for PAL gamers, especially those with widescreen LCDs/plasmas or monitors. Depending on the quality and flexibility of your TV it can mean a heavily bordered image, ugly workarounds and geometry issues, all of which are very noticeable, even to the untrained eye.

Anyway, since when shouldn't Wii owners care about framerate and IQ? They may be using a less powerful SD system, but that doesn't mean they have no right to complain if a game has issues in that regard. As far as I can see Madworld's framerate is the same as the US version, and the 576i can be compensated for given a decent telly so the hardline "not buying a shoddy PAL conversion" crowd are just limiting their own enjoyment. That doesn't mean Wii owners shouldn't be voicing their dissatisfaction at the technical issues.

Jon

Visualante said:

Ahh. Well then, here's hoping it can find moderate success with its new reduced price! Buy it up, PALGAF!

birdchili

eXistor said:
...except for the camera, that does kinda blow.
of course... in an action game... this is a *big* issue. i'm always a bit confused when a review claims a game is exceptional except for the camera - in 3d games, the camera has a huge effect on playability.

i think the game largely failed to achieve the tone it was looking for too... it seemed to target the fake-id crowd more than the actual adult crowd.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Flying_Phoenix said:
.So so far of the SEGA 3:

House of the Dead Overkill = Success (it's selling far better then 2+3 did in the States and Europe)

This is not true, as Overkill is not selling far better than 2+3 did in the States. And as if their budgets were even comparable that 2+3 port is the sole benchmark for success.

It's doing better in Europe which is great, but don't try to call it a wrap and say that's all they need for it to be a success and don't overestimate it's slow start in N.A. either.

If MadWorld bombs in UK and sells decently in N.A., doesnt hide the fact that it still didn't do well in Europe. And it not being released in Japan just means Europe is all the more important, so its disappointing. Overkill is much the same way.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Why wasn't it released in japan?

They can have shit like loli rape sims but Madworld is a no no?

What am I missing here? :/

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'm amazed at how many people say that MadWorld is a mature title just because of the extreme violence and gore - in fact I'd say its ridiculous fatalities and commentary make it one of the most immature titles I've played in a long time. The plot itself, however, is actually rather well written for what kind of game it is.

For the traditional gamer who likes mindless fun and a compact, deeply satisfying fighting mechanic it certainly is, but I would question the maturity aspect.

I'm sure some people have already seen the borders, but if you haven't here it is.

P1010012.jpg

Granted once you start maiming and killing you tend to notice it less, but still.

McBradders said:
Why wasn't it released in japan?

They can have shit like loli rape sims but Madworld is a no no?

What am I missing here? :/

I believe it was a decision by PG and Sega not to release it there due to issues with extreme violence, dismemberment etc. It's simply another cultural difference in how the society views certain things in certain media - much like America's odd attitude to sex and violence in general, or Germany's extreme stance on videogame violence.

Captain AHat said:
I'm sure some people have already seen the borders, but if you haven't here it is.

SNIP

Granted once you start maiming and killing you tend to notice it less, but still.

...and that's one of the less extreme cases I've seen. On my set the borders are even more pronounced.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
In all honesty, everyone is probably over-reacting. Like we usually do with it comes to shit like sales.

Vinci

Danish
Kintaro said:
In all honesty, everyone is probably over-reacting. Like we usually do with it comes to shit like sales.

Duck and cover, it's the end of the world. Or at least gamer-games on the Wii.

You know, whichever comes first.

andthebeatgoeson

It's not that great of a game. It's completely hardcore and it taunts non-players. It's in black and white and it's hard to fully understand or execute really nice kills. I'm sure the majority just slashes with the chain saw and wonders what the fuss is all about. When you bitch about games that hold your hand, realize that when games don't hold people's hand, it turns them off.

I'm for the life trying to understand how I get the 'ludicrous kills' but I end up just hitting them in the head with a few sign posts and losing interest. I can't fault people for not really feeling the game. Or picking it up in mass quantities. The games that sell very well have simple and fun gameplay. Resident Evil, Call of Duty, Any Mario. Otherwise, you can't expect it to sell a ton. Hopefully it sells enough for Sega to make a profit.

It's a good game but not that great. They could have done some things to make it easier to get into.

Captain AHat said:

P1010012.jpg

That plus 50 interlaced fields? Yuck!

John Harker said:
This is not true, as Overkill is not selling far better than 2+3 did in the States.

Well I guess "far better" for the States was an overexaggeration on my fault.

John Harker said:
It's doing better in Europe which is great, but don't try to call it a wrap and say that's all they need for it to be a success and don't overestimate it's slow start in N.A. either.

If MadWorld bombs in UK and sells decently in N.A., doesnt hide the fact that it still didn't do well in Europe. And it not being released in Japan just means Europe is all the more important, so its disappointing. Overkill is much the same way.

Except for the fact that unlike Madworld probably will Overkill's stunning UK performance greatly overshadows the slouch performance in North America. The title has legs and very strong legs as it reached 250k in little to no time.

Yes it didn't perform too hot in North America (though I don't remember 2+3 doing too well in the region either, but the UK performance is significantly ahead enough to change the tides. Where as Madworld probably doesn't have so much as of a chance to do so in North America.

And again that's JUST the U.K. imagine what you would get if you combined the sales of other countries.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
John Harker said:
Er... UK != The whole of Europe.

panda21

when you're playing it does it still only display in that little CRT shaped bit with a huge HUD?

i would of bought it if it could do 480p but my display cant do 480i so they can gtfo

Flying_Phoenix said:
Except for the fact that unlike Madworld probably will Overkill's stunning European performance greatly overshadows the slouch performance in North America. The title has legs and very strong legs as it reached 250k in little to no time.

Where the hell are you pulling those numbers from?

To date, we have a set of chart positions for both HotD2+3 and HotD:Overkill, together with a ELSPA sales award that indicates HotD2+3 managed to sell somewhere between 100k and 200k in the UK alone.

All you can take from that is that Overkill has charted higher and longer, but since those chart positions aren't tied to actual sales figures you cannot say that it has sold better than HotD2+3 and you certainly can't peg a LTD figure on the title.

What you can say is that the better positioning and longer stay in the charts bodes well for its sales, but we're all waiting on the ELSPA awards or some word from Sega/Headstrong for an indication of how it performed relative to HotD2+3 and Ghost Squad.

panda21 said:
when you're playing it does it still only display in that little CRT shaped bit with a huge HUD?

i would of bought it if it could do 480p but my display cant do 480i so they can gtfo

No, that's the map/pause screen. In-game the image takes up the whole area right to the black borders, and if you have a TV with a decent zoom function you can expand the image out to fit with relatively little distortion (thanks largely, I assume, to the style of the game - something with a different style would probably suffer a lot more).

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Bought it while it was "full price" (£30). Lovin' it. Recommending it to friends.

I like to think I've done my bit. Anything else is just go-with-the-flow.

Good/innovative games aren't going to magically stop being made for Wii. We still have No More Heroes 2 to look forward to...

Pyrokai

Volcynika said:
The new IP that's a niche title not selling great! I, for one, am shocked.

Same deal as Valkyria. :(

Bring it 360 and I will buy buy buy buy buy!

I can't afford a PS3 :(

jett

D-Member
TBH I feel sorry for Hideki and his team, this will definitely affect the marketing budget of their next Sega games. :p

Cosmonaut X said:
Where the hell are you pulling those numbers from?

I've been hearing around Gaf that the game broke 200k in UK last reported.

Cosmonaut X said:
To date, we have a set of chart positions for both HotD2+3 and HotD:Overkill, together with a ELSPA sales award that indicates HotD2+3 managed to sell somewhere between 100k and 200k in the UK alone.

All you can take from that is that Overkill has charted higher and longer, but since those chart positions aren't tied to actual sales figures you cannot say that it has sold better than HotD2+3 and you certainly can't peg a LTD figure on the title.

What you can say is that the better positioning and longer stay in the charts bodes well for its sales, but we're all waiting on the ELSPA awards or some word from Sega/Headstrong for an indication of how it performed relative to HotD2+3 and Ghost Squad.

If a game charts higher on the list and keeps consistency more so then its predecessor with its ranking then its extremely likely that it is selling better then its predecessor. The only exception I can think of is unless your looking at a holiday season. I can see your point that rankings are only rankings, but since Overkill is doing so much better then 2 + 3 on the list I'd assume that its doing at least better then 2 + 3.

Dascu said:
This really doesn't look noticably slower than the NTSC version.
I haven't tried the game yet, but if they have optimized it for 50Hz then it's fine.

That being said, NTSC gamers should refrain from making comments about how bad Pal conversions are no big deal. They obviously haven't had to put up with this shit their entire gaming lives.

Aizu_Itsuko said:
That being said, NTSC gamers should refrain from making comments about how bad Pal conversions are no big deal. They obviously haven't had to put up with this shit their entire gaming lives.

Seriously.

If Eurodevs started doing gimped NTSC releases of games for the NTSC markets, the whining would be un-fucking-believable. Look at that PS3 vs 360 GTA4 comparison thread, and times by a million.

Captain AHat said:

P1010012.jpg

It is no where near that bad on my TV. The TV should scale it slightly better than that by making it full width and thus the top & bottom borders would be smaller.

Still no one can confirm that it actually plays slower because of the 50hz which means there is a lot of bs floating around in this thread at the moment.

50hz does not always mean slower gameplay. That was just the wawy it seemed to work with some earlier generation consoles.
Playing in 50hz vs 60hz on the Dreamcast for example made no difference to the speed of the gameplay.

Volcynika

shuri said:

Logic, you don't have any.

Aizu_Itsuko said:
I haven't tried the game yet, but if they have optimized it for 50Hz then it's fine.

Why does it have to be optimized?
Hz just refers to the refresh rate! That in isolation has nothing to do with gamespeed. try it out on your PC. Set it to output at 24hz (if your screen can accept it for Blu-Rays) and watch a film/play a game. No difference in speed.

scarybore

Kamakazie! said:
Playing in 50hz vs 60hz on the Dreamcast for example made no difference to the speed of the gameplay.

That's not true, it depends on the game and the effort developers put into the conversion. For instance when Phantasy Star Online was released on the Dreamcast, people using 50hz were on the same servers as people using 60hz. Now that would be fine if they were running at the same speed, but they weren't and so 50hz players couldn't keep up with 60hz players as they ran slower. 50hz players eventually had their own servers because of this.

I don't have a problem if a PAL game runs at full speed and full screen, but if either is lacking then why should I give money to that developer for not putting in the effort? Even if a game is fully PAL optimised, there would be no reason not to have a 60hz mode anyway.

T Ghost

I got the game from GameFly when it was released in the US and I just didn't like it. I tried twice to get into it but I was extremelly bored by it both times. After playing it I'm glad I didn't buy into the hype train and bought it at the store. In my opinion it's not worth $50. $20 at best.

Top Bottom