• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The All New Spyborgs *Trailer inside*

Looks pretty cool - definitely a step up from the first showing. Still seems aimed at the early teen market, but that's never stopped me picking up a good game.

farnham

Banned
they cut some characters out and made the design a bit better

hopefully the comedic aspect is not totally lost

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DefectiveReject said:
Looks better, but i still ask why?

Yeah that's kinda my take here. It does look visually quite good and a high effort, polished production... but I think this probably falls into "The Conduit" category of "Good, but probably not good enough to displace the fact that there's better elsewhere" with the quid pro quo that at least the Conduit has IR aiming to fall back on.

With Ninja Gaiden 1+2, DMC, Bayonetta, and even b-tier stuff like Afro Samurai, I'd say the action-beat-em-up-platformish genre is pretty well filled out. If you move into action-shooter-platformish, you can add Red Faction, Bionic Commando, Dark Void, Dead Rising, and countless others.

Still I guess if they pick a good release window for it and really polish the hell out of it, it could have a unique selling point. At the very least, it seems to skew younger in age and could cross over into some of the "movie game" buyer demographic.

Sadist

DefectiveReject said:
why bother... looks too generic to be liked by the masses
You think? I doubt that to be honest. Its easy on the eyes, but with enough action to be different enough.

Dascu

Looks a lot better. Still far too "Saturday Morning Cartoon"-ish for my tastes, though I guess that's what they're aiming for. Good luck with this, Capcom.

Haunted

Stumpokapow said:
Still I guess if they pick a good release window for it and really polish the hell out of it, it could have a unique selling point. At the very least, it seems to skew younger in age and could cross over into some of the "movie game" buyer demographic.
That's exactly what I thought looking at the trailer. Clearly aimed at a younger demographic, Ben10 and that kind of stuff.

Shiggy

So they scrapped two characters - Voxel and that other boy.

I think the old style looked a little bit more unique. However, this looks kind of good and the developer has a good reputation.

Stumpokapow said:
With Ninja Gaiden 1+2, DMC, Bayonetta, and even b-tier stuff like Afro Samurai, I'd say the action-beat-em-up-platformish genre is pretty well filled out. If you move into action-shooter-platformish, you can add Red Faction, Bionic Commando, Dark Void, Dead Rising, and countless others.

...but not on Wii. There are very few titles like this on the system - the only one that springs to mind is Rygar.

It also looks pretty focused and polished, and the co-op gameplay sets it apart and also plays to one of the strengths of the platform - local co-op.

batbeg

Haunted said:
That's exactly what I thought looking at the trailer. Clearly aimed at a younger demographic, Ben10 and that kind of stuff.

I already know that if they get this to air during Ben 10 or something, my little brother will eat this up.

Trailer didn't interest me much, but anything with local co-op always has my vague interest to learn more wherever possible. Hope it's decent.

Jaagen

Looks nice, and a lot better than last time(I see it has gotten "darker" now) Only thing I don't like is the blob shadows on the enemy characters. Please fix that.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Stumpokapow said:
Yeah that's kinda my take here. It does look visually quite good and a high effort, polished production... but I think this probably falls into "The Conduit" category of "Good, but probably not good enough to displace the fact that there's better elsewhere" with the quid pro quo that at least the Conduit has IR aiming to fall back on.

I think you answered your own question on what Capcom is thinking with this, targeting a market that can't (legally) play the games you listed. Hopefully they don't pull a Zack and Wiki and fail to match the visuals with the gameplay difficulty.

Aeris130

Looks better, but I'm still getting the toy-franchise-based-on-saturday-morning-cartoon feel, except there's no cartoon and no toys to padd sales.

NMH and Mad World >> this.

CapKraig

poppabk said:
I think you answered your own question on what Capcom is thinking with this, targeting a market that can't (legally) play the games you listed. Hopefully they don't pull a Zack and Wiki and fail to match the visuals with the gameplay difficulty.

Those games also aren't on the Wii. Can you guys think of a great co-op brawler on the Wii that I can't?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cosmonaut X said:
...but not on Wii. There are very few titles like this on the system - the only one that springs to mind is Rygar.

That's true and certainly relevant for the game's target demographic who might have a Wii and nothing else. I definitely get that and I'll freely yield that it could find success in being tailored to that group.

But I'll just go out on a limb and say that if we're discussing the kind of people who post on GAF, if they like this kind of action-beat-em-up they've probably bought one of the two next-gen systems. Also, if you're the kind of person who likes action beat-em-ups, you could buy 360 + NG2 + DMC4 + Dead Rising + Dead Rising 2 for the same price as a Wii + Spyborgs, so I'm not sure the value proposition is present there.

Let me offer an analogy so it doesn't sound like I'm picking on the Wii. I think we can all agree there's an absolute truckload of FPS / TPS on PS3/360, right? So if a B-level developer announces a B-level FPS / TPS for the 360--I'll start naming names: Stranglehold, Blacksite Area 51, 50 Cent, Dark Sector, Velvet Assassin, Eat Lead, FEAR 2, Wet, Wanted, Wheelman--even if it turns out good enough, it's still destined to obscurity because there are so many truly great franchise entries out there overshadowing it.

The difference here is that the great entries are on another platform, but as someone who buys consoles based on games rather than games based on consoles, I don't think anyone here who knows better should settle for good instead of great.

It also looks pretty focused and polished, and the co-op gameplay sets it apart and also plays to one of the strengths of the platform - local co-op.

It's true that there aren't a ton of games exactly like this for the PS360, and Wii obviously does have good local co-op appeal, but even limiting the field strictly to 1) good not brilliant, 2) local co-op, 3) action brawlers, 4) being released in 2009, you've still got Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 which I'd go out on a limb and say would overshadow this game :p

Still, I hope that as time goes on we find out more about Spyborgs' unique selling points and that Capcom ends up having some success with it. I always hope that high effort, polished productions get rewarded even if they're not my bag.

poppabk said:

I'd say that the target market (teens-ish who like action-platformy-cartoony goodness) would probably split down the middle between kids old enough to con their parents into buying the PS360 stuff for them, and then the movie game audience. The movie game audience is lucrative if you can tap it, and definitely the gameplay covers the same sort of ground based on the trailer. It's all up to Capcom to try to position the product the right way, I guess.

Scrubking

Both Capcom and Bionic confirmed this was a childrens game back when it was first announced. There's no need for speculation here.

CapKraig

Scrubking said:
Both Capcom and Bionic confirmed this was a childrens game back when it was first announced. There's no need for speculation here.

It has been aged up significantly since then. Think Ratchet & Clank type of audience. (Which, by the way, includes me.)

Mdk7

i wasn't feeling it before, i'm not feeling it now.
I still find it unappealing (and i do like cartoony designs).

donny2112

I do like the graphical change. I'm not looking for a hack-and-slash/beat-em-up, but it's nice that they're bringing this to the system. Too bad it doesn't seem to use the pointer for much, if anything. That's really the best part of the Wii's controls, to me.

Stumpokapow said:

With Ninja Gaiden 1+2, DMC, Bayonetta, and even b-tier stuff like Afro Samurai, I'd say the action-beat-em-up-platformish genre is pretty well filled out.
None of those games have co-op.

And if we get into Wii-exclusive beat-em-ups...

Aeris130 said:
Looks better, but I'm still getting the toy-franchise-based-on-saturday-morning-cartoon feel, except there's no cartoon and no toys to padd sales.

NMH and Mad World >> this.
Neither NMH nor MadWorld nor Deadly Creatures (for a non-mature good beat-em-up) have co-op either.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
plank said:
Deadly Creature you mean.

Nope.

416wD9z2FIL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Vinci

Danish
Looks better - only ... wasn't this supposed to be funny? I remember it having a very different, unique take last time we saw it. Don't tell me folks bitched and they dropped what made the concept at all interesting.

Milabrega

Looks incredible. Love the art style changes. It looks better visually than just about everything created by third parties on the Wii so at the very least it should be commendable for that. Two questions that arise from watching that short trailer, if its a co-op beat 'em up, will there be online co-op (preferably pop in pop out). Second is that it looks like only 2/3 enemies on the screen at once (ignoring the giant metal gear) will there be more?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Vinci said:
Don't tell me folks bitched and they dropped what made the concept at all interesting.

I think that is pretty much what happened.

Ehhh, it looks nice, but so overly generic now.
The idea of it being a Saturday Morning cartoon actually had a certain appeal, you know?

wsippel

Banned
AceBandage said:
The idea of it being a Saturday Morning cartoon actually had a certain appeal, you know?
Definitely. On the other hand, the trailer doesn't tell us anything about the structure or the humor, so that may still be more or less intact. I sure hope so.

rpmurphy

Let's just keep it this way so they can actually work on the gameplay and story instead of reworking all their graphical assets again.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Visually the game doesn't look particularly original, but it looks a hell of a lot more refined than the original build. Regardless of how different the original build looked it was just a shit-ton more sloppy and unrefined. It looked incredably basic and lame.

End of the day though it all comes down to how the game plays. If it offers a fun co-op experience with plenty of reason to keep playing (eg: variety, unlockables, etc) then I'll pick it up as there aren't really any good co-op experiences on the Wii.

AceBandage said:

In what ways does Spyborgs now look less like a Saturday morning cartoon?

Top Bottom