• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Big B

This is a parody game - basically it's a super mario game but with all the characters replaced by pokemon and mario is a pikachu. I don't know which super mario it was trying to copy nor its name.

help?

There were two games, I played them on my Commodore 128 back in the mid-80s, I think. They were graphical text based adventure games, sort of like zork, I think. They were both super-hero based -- one was Spiderman and the other was The Hulk... I never made it very far in either of them... I do remember the game with The Hulk started out with you tied up and regaining consciousness... and you had to do something like type "bite lip" and you'd get angry and become the hulk -- I'd usually die shortly after escaping though. The Spiderman one definitely had Mysterio in it... I remember his orb-head -- I could make it a few screens further in that one, but as I was a really young kid with minimal comic book knowledge I could never get very far in the games... I'd like to try them now, 20+ years later to see if I could get any further but can't remember the names.

Any help would be appreciated.

corrosivefrost said:
There were two games, I played them on my Commodore 128 back in the mid-80s, I think. They were graphical text based adventure games, sort of like zork, I think. They were both super-hero based -- one was Spiderman and the other was The Hulk... I never made it very far in either of them... I do remember the game with The Hulk started out with you tied up and regaining consciousness... and you had to do something like type "bite lip" and you'd get angry and become the hulk -- I'd usually die shortly after escaping though. The Spiderman one definitely had Mysterio in it... I remember his orb-head -- I could make it a few screens further in that one, but as I was a really young kid with minimal comic book knowledge I could never get very far in the games... I'd like to try them now, 20+ years later to see if I could get any further but can't remember the names.

Any help would be appreciated.
Those would be the Questprobe games. There was also a Fantastic Four game with Torch and Thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Questprobe

One time when I was a kid travelling with my mom, I saw a handheld Super Mario Bros game at the duty free shop in an airport. Since I was crazy about Super Mario Bros I begged my mom to buy it for me, but after looking at the price tag she refused. I never saw it again anywhere, neither in real life or on the internet, and my memory of it is foggy, this is what I remember:

It was a portable/handheld game like Game & Watch, but it if I remember correctly it was bigger and bulkier, more like Game Gear in form factor.

I didn't see the game running, but I'm pretty sure it was a Mario sidescroller themed after SMB. It didn't have a conventional screen, it seemed as if the background was made of paper (with the platforms and other artwork drawn on it) which scrolled from right to left and I suppose looped back into the machine (explains the thick form factor), while "the sprites" of Mario and enemies I imagined were on sort of an LED overlay... is that even technically possible? I wonder if I dreamed the whole thing :lol

I tried to look for it on the internet many times without luck. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, you'll retroactively become my childhood hero.

Edit:

557409160_11ce340aeb.jpg

IMG_7443.jpg

I guess it was this one, although I remember it looking differently, but I can't imagine Nintendo making another SMB one, and I know how unreliable memories can be. Oh well mystery solved.

Rapstah

Around 2002-2004, a person I knew started bragging about a game he had, I think it was a PC game. It was an RPG, I remember him mentioning these details:
  • You were fighting bugs or insects at some point in the game
  • If your weapon broke you could attack the enemies with your helmet (it had spikes)
  • If you dragged the enemies to town the guards there would kill them for you
When I tried to get him to invite me over for the afternoon he came up with some bullshit excuse about having a hockey game the day after, so he could have just came up with the whole thing. Does anyone know any game that fits the description?

Platy

SNES, fighting game, all female cast

one super made a girl does some tickles in the enemy
there was a char who fighter with the face covered ... and in the ending she appeared in an skirt and hugger her brother

a 2d game i saw in an arcade many years ago, where one opening gameplay scene has a wizard fighting a big blob (made of tinier blobs) that then jumps to the ceiling and starts dropping small blobs to attack the wiz. then the wiz just casts a lightning spell and blows the blob away lol

any ideas?

eso76

hydragonwarrior said:
a 2d game i saw in an arcade many years ago, where one opening gameplay scene has a wizard fighting a big blob (made of tinier blobs) that then jumps to the ceiling and starts dropping small blobs to attack the wiz. then the wiz just casts a lightning spell and blows the blob away lol

any ideas?

yup, it's Taito's Cadash

edit; here you go

a5ks4y.png

Turnstyle

This is from another forum, but it has me totally stumped...any ideas?

I need help tracking down a free text adventure from nearly 10 years ago.

All I remember is that it starts in a hotel and you're a detective charged with investigating the murder of a young actress. Along the way you interview a man in a funk band called FunkZilla and if you're not careful you yourself are arrested as a suspect. I also remember there was a puzzle about finding which bin bag belonged to the victim and it took place in LA.

CiSTM

Banned
I'm bit in a trouble here. I'm looking for a game that I saw many years ago in some game show. Don't remember anything else, just that it was some sort of hack 'n' slash set in feudal japan :( Looked a lot like Diablo.

I hope someone can help me out.

Lunchbox

Banned
it was a point and click adventure game that looked like the current monkey island hd reboots

you were in a office, your guy had a big nose and glasses you ran around in the office at night doing stuff (atleast that was the first level) it came preloaded on my 486 when i was 7. so thats all i remember.

anyone have any ideas?

mclem

Lunchbox said:
it was a point and click adventure game that looked like the current monkey island hd reboots

you were in a office, your guy had a big nose and glasses you ran around in the office at night doing stuff (atleast that was the first level) it came preloaded on my 486 when i was 7. so thats all i remember.

anyone have any ideas?

*When* were you 7?

I think Nippon Safes, Inc or Big Red Adventure are vague possibilities, but having a year to work from would help.

Turnstyle said:

All I remember is that it starts in a hotel and you're a detective charged with investigating the murder of a young actress. Along the way you interview a man in a funk band called FunkZilla and if you're not careful you yourself are arrested as a suspect. I also remember there was a puzzle about finding which bin bag belonged to the victim and it took place in LA.

I don't know it either, but if you want to narrow your search, the key is "nearly 10 years ago." Text adventures in the 2000s are more likely to be called "interactive fiction," and maybe a look in the IFDB might help?

Radogol

Turnstyle said:

To be honest, I think that's viral marketing for FunkZilla.

Minamu

I hope this thread can help me :S I remember a 3d fighting game, similar to soul calibur but with mythological creatures, like a minotaur. It might've been Killing Zone:

KillingZone_Cover2.jpg

But I'm not so sure. The internet seem to remember that game as the worst possible fighting game of all time but that's not how I remember it at all :S This was around 1996 though so it fits unfortunately. Are there any other games like that? I'm fairly certain it was on PS1. It was arena-based and I think it had weapons in it, but unlike KZ, I remember the controls as being surprisingly good o_O Granted, I was around 10 years old at the time :lol

Minamu said:
I hope this thread can help me :S I remember a 3d fighting game, similar to soul calibur but with mythological creatures, like a minotaur. It might've been Killing Zone:

KillingZone_Cover2.jpg

But I'm not so sure. The internet seem to remember that game as the worst possible fighting game of all time but that's not how I remember it at all :S This was around 1996 though so it fits unfortunately. Are there any other games like that? I'm fairly certain it was on PS1. It was arena-based and I think it had weapons in it, but unlike KZ, I remember the controls as being surprisingly good o_O Granted, I was around 10 years old at the time :lol

Only thing that came to my mind was "The Unholy War" and 2 N64 fighters I couldn't remember the names of

edit: Mace: The Dark Age for N64?

Minamu

PetriP-TNT said:
Only thing that came to my mind was "The Unholy War" and 2 N64 fighters I couldn't remember the names of

edit: Mace: The Dark Age for N64?
The unholy war seem to have flying vehicles in it and this was strictly a one-on-one fighter :S Mace looks way too much like Mortal Kombat for what I remember. Sorry. Was Rock a playable character in Soul Edge? If so, that might be what I remember :lol But I doubt it.

Edit: I think a PAL release would have to be mandatory becuase I don't think they had imported consoles playable in-stores at the time.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
BooJoh said:
One game I'm always trying to remember was one I played in elementary school, on an Apple II I think. I think it was a spelling game that involved shooting apples with arrows or something. My memory of it is very vague so I could have some details wrong. I know the game had apples in it though.

Joe & Mac: Caveman Ninja or Super Bonk/BC Kid?

The one I've been trying to remember was on Apple II but involved an Eskimo. I also keep thinking that it had the blizzard logo at the beginning but none of the games on their list ring a bell.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This one has been bugging me for awhile.

It was a Super Nintendo game. A top down racer in a sci fi setting with a lot of power ups you could pick up, I think there were oil slicks. I remember playing it a lot at my cousins house when I was really young.

Minamu

Snuggler said:
This one has been bugging me for awhile.

It was a Super Nintendo game. A top down racer in a sci fi setting with a lot of power ups you could pick up, I think there were oil slicks. I remember playing it a lot at my cousins house when I was really young.
Rock n Roll Racing?

Celine

Platy said:
SNES, fighting game, all female cast

one super made a girl does some tickles in the enemy
there was a char who fighter with the face covered ... and in the ending she appeared in an skirt and hugger her brother
moe

mclem

Emenis said:
The one I've been trying to remember was on Apple II but involved an Eskimo. I also keep thinking that it had the blizzard logo at the beginning but none of the games on their list ring a bell.

Anything *that* old from Blizzard would be credited to Silicon & Synapse instead.

Zzoram

I remember as a kid playing a PC RTS game that appeared to take place on some sort of alien world, where the factions were alien creatures, and the resource harvested was some kind of gas geyser. It was polygonal 3D and you could zoom in and out and rotate the camera (I think). The alien creatures were mostly a solid colour and came in different shapes and sizes. The land was mostly barren, and the main structure was some sort of hive or something, and losing it would mean losing the game. There didn't appear to be any sort of technology either, everything was organic. I think that even if there was more than 1 faction, there was only 1 race.

What is this game called? Is it available for purchase on any DD service?

I remember this demo of a Psygnosis title on a christmas PS1 demo cd in the Official PlayStation Magazine UK, it was kind of a first person shooter, but you were hovering/driving this vehicle. You fought against lots of monsters, and you could hover around freely on the level. It was a very dark game, and a little creepy. Anyone know the title?

At my after school club we used to play a Megadrive game that was a 2D shooter. It wasn't set in space - there were different levels like one with giant trees everywhere. One level was set in underground caves and your enemies were giant tentacle monsters.
Any ideas?

Top Bottom