• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

hank_tree said:
Magic Carpet?
No, I'm starting to wonder if it was Psygnosis or not. I've just looked through the list on Wikipedia and none of the titles ring a bell. Maybe it never got released after the demo?

Edit:
FOUND IT!
615-1.jpg

:D

Grampasso

There was this coin-op in the early-mid 90s, it was a multiscrolling platformer/shooter, the main character was a ninja (or something like that), in super deformed style, you could pickup different kinds of weapons (I remember the icons resembled the sun, the stars, the moon etc...) and the levels were quite complicated with lot of ladders and bonuses spread.
What was that? >_<

This is going to be extremely vague, but here it goes, it's a PSX and PC release, the cover is extremely blue I think, with a guy sort of levitating with power, it's a common pose. The name is related to something magic related, like necromancer, and that sort of thing.

coolcole93 said:
At my after school club we used to play a Megadrive game that was a 2D shooter. It wasn't set in space - there were different levels like one with giant trees everywhere. One level was set in underground caves and your enemies were giant tentacle monsters.
Any ideas?

Bio Hazard Battle, maybe?

missile

I can't remember a name of a game I played in around '86 on an arcade machine.
The game was a side scroller (from left to right) where you have to navigate
a helicopter over buildings and through dungeons while being attacked. The
graphics were quite primitive, less than Cobra Command. I don't think it was
Cobra Command, but who knows? Well, I remember that the game started in a
city where you have to fight enemies above the skyline. Next stage was a
difficult to navigate dungeon. Does anyone remember that one?

Edit: Thx to robot, the game I was looking for reads Super Cobra. :)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I just went to an arcade a few days ago and I can't remember the name of one of the games I played. It was a racing game where you sat on this motorcycle shape thing leaning side to side. You had an attack button to press when someone got close to you. Graphics are very early 3D.

I think it had "rad" or "raider" in the title.

emic

NES Game with tanks upscrolling used to go the coner shop and rent this alot!
Im guess the game didnt have the word tank in it or else I probably woulda found it by now...

tim.mbp

emic said:
Im guess the game didnt have the word tank in it or else I probably woulda found it by now...

Vindicators?

ICallItFutile said:
I just went to an arcade a few days ago and I can't remember the name of one of the games I played. It was a racing game where you sat on this motorcycle shape thing leaning side to side. You had an attack button to press when someone got close to you. Graphics are very early 3D.

I think it had "rad" or "raider" in the title.

A favourite of mine. Motor Raid.

Marvie_3

Banned
Prime crotch said:
This is going to be extremely vague, but here it goes, it's a PSX and PC release, the cover is extremely blue I think, with a guy sort of levitating with power, it's a common pose. The name is related to something magic related, like necromancer, and that sort of thing.
Only things I could think of were Shadow Madness or MediEvil:

51sgg3.jpg

2a678gg.jpg

Zzoram said:
I remember as a kid playing a PC RTS game that appeared to take place on some sort of alien world, where the factions were alien creatures, and the resource harvested was some kind of gas geyser. It was polygonal 3D and you could zoom in and out and rotate the camera (I think). The alien creatures were mostly a solid colour and came in different shapes and sizes. The land was mostly barren, and the main structure was some sort of hive or something, and losing it would mean losing the game. There didn't appear to be any sort of technology either, everything was organic. I think that even if there was more than 1 faction, there was only 1 race.

What is this game called? Is it available for purchase on any DD service?

Hmmm. Dominant Species?

Bo130

My girlfriend remembers a game, she thinks was for DOS and thinks was a platform game. The only thing she remembers for sure is that when you were short on time, someone said "Hurry up now, Billy!"

Any idea on what it is?

Adam J.

Anyone remember the name of a laserdisc FMV arcade game starring a little guy, who if i remember correctly, wore a long trench coat? Ever time you died, it showed a newspaper clipping of what happened to the character.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Anyone remember an online PC game that was like 8 years + old, its multi-player only.

-You play as a spy against other spy to see who can gather most data in the map.
-It is 2D side scroller platform type.
-You can set door that teleport to your place anywhere you want, and the entrance will be hidden to other players, however, if someone saw you going inside your base, they will gain access to your base.
-While your inside your base, you can look at the glass window to see if anyone is outside of your entrance, to make sure no one know where your door is.
-You can purchase upgrades and other stuff... I don't really remember.
-If I remember correctly, its free, not sure how they make money. It was eventually shut down for whatever reason.

rareside

Anyone remember this one?

It should be easy, at least I thought it would be.

It's an arcade jetski game (think it's Sega).. one of the memorable moments is running the jetski off a large waterfall and taking the jetski underwater for a few seconds where you can see fish...

I thought it was WaveRunner but I watched all the videos and couldn't find the waterfall part.

Anyone?

Minamu

REALLY old pc game here. "Played" it (as in I didn't understand jack about it) back on Windows 3.11. I think it was called Warmonger or something like that. Not Civ 3: Warmonger though. But it was similar in that it had a top down view. I think the little dudes running around were white (almost Darwiniaesque in size on the screen and really fast?) I think you could speed up the passing of time which was why the guys were so fast. Maybe a fantasy setting? I'm pretty sure you were supposed to build a civilization of sorts. Very early strategy game maybe?

exfixate

Baconbitz said:
Ps1 demo with a kid who like a laser toy gun of some sort. That's all I remember.

Did it make you want to gouge your eyes out with the blunt grips of the Playstation controller?

If so, it was probably Rascal.

tim.mbp

rareside said:
Anyone remember this one?

It should be easy, at least I thought it would be.

It's an arcade jetski game (think it's Sega).. one of the memorable moments is running the jetski off a large waterfall and taking the jetski underwater for a few seconds where you can see fish...

I thought it was WaveRunner but I watched all the videos and couldn't find the waterfall part.

Anyone?

Aqua Jet.

Minamu said:
REALLY old pc game here. "Played" it (as in I didn't understand jack about it) back on Windows 3.11. I think it was called Warmonger or something like that. Not Civ 3: Warmonger though. But it was similar in that it had a top down view. I think the little dudes running around were white (almost Darwiniaesque in size on the screen and really fast?) I think you could speed up the passing of time which was why the guys were so fast. Maybe a fantasy setting? I'm pretty sure you were supposed to build a civilization of sorts. Very early strategy game maybe?

It does sound like the original Settlers/Serf City: Life Is Feudal. The only other game I can think of from back then with "war" in the name that wasn't Warcraft is War Wind by SSI, but even then, it's a stretch, considering it was pretty much in the Windows 95 heyday.

DeadTrees

Minamu said:
Mega-lo-mania/Tyrants Fight Through Time?

Ok, this one was for the NES. It was I believe a side scroller (or top down). You play as a member of a family. I don't remember if you get to play as each family member but I think you do. The first level is their home which was a huge tree. I also believe there were items to pick up, like treasure chests.

It was a more difficult game for me to grasp at the time. It wasn't a straght forward action game, but I have no idea what it was exactly.

Dark Octave said:
Ok, this one was for the NES. It was I believe a side scroller. You play as a member of a family. I don't remember if you get to play as each family member but I think you do. The first level is their home which was a huge tree. I also believe there were items to pick up, like treasure chests.

It was a more difficult game for me to grasp at the time. It wasn't a straght forward action game, but I have no idea what it was exactly.

The Legacy Of The Wizard. Great early Falcom action/RPG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTl-TAOMD18

Sqorgar

Banned
Minamu said:
There was a game called Powermonger. Looked a bit like Populous:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powermonger

Minamu

Thanks everyone who helped! Sqorgar is the winner :) It was Powermonger. I hate it when the mind plays tricks on your memories :lol Peter Molyneux was involved in this game :O
I had an epiphany at 06:30am while trying to sleep and found the title myself.

TheHakku

For the longest time I couldn't remember the name of Street Fighter 2010. I'd describe "vines" and nobody would get it. Apparently it's the third planet in the game.

Anyway, another one. An older PC game. Some futuristic sports game. Jai-alai mixed with ice hockey with long rubberized crowbar-looking things (think one of the straps of the ribbon parachute in MDK --this game probably came out around that timeframe, too). Rounded rectangular play field with the edge raised and ends of the field raised incredibly high. Play surface is white.

Can't for the life of me figure out what the heck this game was.

Sqorgar

Banned
TheHakku said:
Anyway, another one. An older PC game. Some futuristic sports game. Jai-alai mixed with ice hockey with long rubberized crowbar-looking things (think one of the straps of the ribbon parachute in MDK --this game probably came out around that timeframe, too). Rounded rectangular play field with the edge raised and ends of the field raised incredibly high. Play surface is white.

Can't for the life of me figure out what the heck this game was.
HyperBlade? http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/hyperblade

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
emic said:
Sounds like Jackal to me. A personal favorite!

Hey GAF,

I'm seeking for a game, I saw on youtube the other day. It was a retro shooter, horizontal plan, called thunder lightning or something. It's not Thunder Force (or Lightning Force for that matter). The caracter looked like a Jehuty shaped with a jetpack in the back and a sword (I guess) and you have a power up selection screen before every stage. Music was all awesome. Speed Heavy Metal awesome. There was frenzy on the screen, shittons of beams, lazers and exploding enemies.

GAF, can you remember the name of this ?

eso76

UnluckyKate said:
Hey GAF,

It was a retro shooter, horizontal plan. The caracter looked like a Jehuty shaped with a jetpack in the back and a sword (I guess) and you have a power up selection screen before every stage. Music was all awesome. Speed Heavy Metal awesome. There was frenzy on the screen, shittons of beams, lazers and exploding enemies.

GAF, can you remember the name of this ?

Lords of thunder / winds of thunder probably

Squishy

Ok, my memory of this game is very vague, but maybe someone will know.

When I was about 6 years old I went to England for a holiday with my parents, flying with Singapore Airlines. On the plane, they had Super Nintendos with a whole bunch of games, all of the games I can remember except one. They had Super Mario World, Tetris and Doctor Mario, Super BC Kid (AKA Super Bonk), Zelda: ALttP and the one which I don't know the name. It was a sidescrolling game and it had some guy in it shooting people in what I think I remember being a cave. There were bridges in it as well, but that's all I can remember. And no, it's not Super Metroid. Anybody know?

mclem

Squishy said:
Ok, my memory of this game is very vague, but maybe someone will know.

When I was about 6 years old I went to England for a holiday with my parents, flying with Singapore Airlines. On the plane, they had Super Nintendos with a whole bunch of games, all of the games I can remember except one. They had Super Mario World, Tetris and Doctor Mario, Super BC Kid (AKA Super Bonk), Zelda: ALttP and the one which I don't know the name. It was a sidescrolling game and it had some guy in it shooting people in what I think I remember being a cave. There were bridges in it as well, but that's all I can remember. And no, it's not Super Metroid. Anybody know?

Sounds like Blackthorne, and I *think* that was available on the Gateway System.

BeeDog

Sorry for bumping this topic, but the "old FPS" topic forced me to recall the name of an old first-person shooter for the PC. I don't recall much (or recall some details incorrectly), but I think it was released near the Y2K shift, perhaps a bit earlier (around 1997/1998?). It had really nice graphics for its time, almost a Quake 2-level (perhaps a bit better, a bit worse). It didn't run on any of the by-then common engines, and it featured polygonal characters. It had pretty unique weapons and monsters, and I think the cover depicts some kind of lizard enemy. Most of the environments were pretty dark too. It was a pretty derivative shooter, but it was still solid but really unknown.

It's probably a long shot, but does anyone recall this same game? Thanks.

McNum

Well since this thread is back, I've got one.

It's a Commodore 64 game. You played from a top-down perspective exploring a series of caves on a grid of sorts. I remember that every time you started a level, you'd see a map, with the square you were in flashing and the game would say (in real speech!) "You are here!" followed by "Get ready!" The game used the orange and brown colors of the C64 a lot. You might have been playing as something frog-like.

That's pretty much all I can remember.

mclem

McNum said:
Well since this thread is back, I've got one.

It's a Commodore 64 game. You played from a top-down perspective exploring a series of caves on a grid of sorts. I remember that every time you started a level, you'd see a map, with the square you were in flashing and the game would say (in real speech!) "You are here!" followed by "Get ready!" The game used the orange and brown colors of the C64 a lot. You might have been playing as something frog-like.

That's pretty much all I can remember.

Ranarama? The frog suggests that, at least.

Eccocid

Ok here it is.
1. An old Amiga game. You control a robot. Top down view. The catch after completing a level you can upgrade your mech buy new pieces etc. Levels were like labyrinths also it had some sort of hacking mini game. The theme was like some sort of futuristic leauge or some kind of sport. But it wasnt like a sport game (the level layouts)

2. Another Amiga game. It was all about planes with side scrolling view. You can pick tons of different planes and do stupid missions in small levels. You could even use a ballon atatch to some bicycle or something like that. There was a level where you can take off from a airship on sea. IT had split screen multiplayer and challenge levels like fly through rings or shoot some ballons? IT had great cute pixel art graphics!

(._.)

Banned
I somewhat recall playing this on PC (I think). It was a 2d fighter. It featured tiny little animals that would fight but I think once a meeter hit a certain level they would transform into monsters. The sprites looks somewhat like an American WB cartoon. Anybody know which game I am talking about?

(._.) said:
I somewhat recall playing this on PC (I think). It was a 2d fighter. It featured tiny little animals that would fight but I think once a meeter hit a certain level they would transform into monsters. The sprites looks somewhat like an American WB cartoon. Anybody know which game I am talking about?
Battle Beast?

Top Bottom