• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

here's one. i'm pretty sure that this was a game i played on the Atari ST. you were a red helmeted alien who landed on a planet's surface and ventured down underneath into all these different caves to (i think) repair your crashed spaceship. you were basically a green ball with feet (inside a big red helmet).

it was kind of metroidy in that the world was split up into screens, but was open for exploration. there were these little metal platforms you could fly about, otherwise you were jumping around and shooting stuff (i think).

any takers?

exfixate

I can barely remember this SNES game.

It was a platformer.
It was pretty colorful and lighthearted.
The main character picked up power-ups that made him transform into different things.
One of the bosses may have been an 'evil' scientist.
It is not Mega Man (ha).

I know I probably just described about half of the platformers on the SNES, but this has been killing me.

brb

exfixate said:

It was a platformer.
The main character picked up power-ups that made him transform into different things.
It is not Mega Man (ha).

I know I probably just described about half of the platformers on the SNES, but this has been killing me.

Maybe Super Widget?
CvGpx.jpg

Facism

sorry if this is really vague.

There was this arcade game, it was a 2-player arcade side-scrolling platformer/shooter. It was futuristic and you could choose what level you played via picking it's corresponding planet. All i remember really is that the red planet was hard as balls.

N4Us

exfixate said:

It was a platformer.
It is not Mega Man (ha).

Might have also been Claymates, but the main character's a blob and you might've remembered that, so maybe not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claymates

Morph also has a similar concept:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Morph

mclem

plagiarize said:
here's one. i'm pretty sure that this was a game i played on the Atari ST. you were a red helmeted alien who landed on a planet's surface and ventured down underneath into all these different caves to (i think) repair your crashed spaceship. you were basically a green ball with feet (inside a big red helmet).

it was kind of metroidy in that the world was split up into screens, but was open for exploration. there were these little metal platforms you could fly about, otherwise you were jumping around and shooting stuff (i think).

any takers?

This sounds like one that's appeared here from time to time, and I'm always surprised to find it on a new platform - I thought it was Spectrum-only. Is it Starquake?

mclem

exfixate said:

It was a platformer.
It is not Mega Man (ha).

I think it's most likely to be Claymates, as mentioned by someone else above, but I can also imagine there's some chance it's (Super) Putty instead.

Facism said:
sorry if this is really vague.

There was this arcade game, it was a 2-player arcade side-scrolling platformer/shooter. It was futuristic and you could choose what level you played via picking it's corresponding planet. All i remember really is that the red planet was hard as balls.

Xain'd Sleena?
wXain%27d_Sleena.png

xain.d_sleena-356811-1271037516.jpeg

My brother had a game on Amiga a long time ago and all I can remember from it one scene who scared the living hell out of me.

I think the game was a horror point and click adventure. but not Gabriel Knight. I remember you were walking around some kind of bar or something and you could talk to a girl. And if you talked to her a second time her face transformed in to some vampire/demon like face.

What could it be?

Edit: Just checked around on GoG. Could it maybe be a game called Personal Nightmare?

Edit: Don't think it was that game.

Lumine

I'm trying to remember a game. It's an old pc game, can't remember how old exactly, I played it as a kid. Somewhere mid-nineties I guess. It's a rts game where your goal is to run a small farm village. I don't think it had much warfare/combat if any at all. I remember the graphics being quite bright and comical. That's about it, anyone have any ideas? :p

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sniper McBlaze said:
My brother had a game on Amiga a long time ago and all I can remember from it one scene who scared the living hell out of me.

I think the game was a horror point and click adventure. but not Gabriel Knight. I remember you were walking around some kind of bar or something and you could talk to a girl. And if you talked to her a second time her face transformed in to some vampire/demon like face.

What could it be?

Edit: Just checked around on GoG. Could it maybe be a game called Personal Nightmare?

Dark Seed maybe.

eso76

Sniper McBlaze said:

What could it be?

Don't remember that scene in particular but i don't remember many horror point and click games on Amiga.

Dark seed maybe ?

point'n'beaten

Lumine

Lumine said:
I'm trying to remember a game. It's an old pc game, can't remember how old exactly, I played it as a kid. Somewhere mid-nineties I guess. It's a rts game where your goal is to run a small farm village. I don't think it had much warfare/combat if any at all. I remember the graphics being quite bright and comical. That's about it, anyone have any ideas? :p

I think I found it myself. I think it's Beasts & Bumpkins. It was made in 1997. Anyone remember this game? I remember liking it at the time, but it's too long ago to remember if it really was any good and if the gameplay still holds up. Anyone know if it's worth trying to find it?

quetz67

Banned
There was an arcade game, typical shooter from the Space Invader/Galaxian era where you had a ship with a single shot, then at the end of every level there was a bigger ship docking from below giving you wider shots.

quetz67 said:
There was an arcade game, typical shooter from the Space Invader/Galaxian era where you had a ship with a single shot, then at the end of every level there was a bigger ship docking from below giving you wider shots.

Moon Cresta?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I remember some very old Sierra PC game. Early 90s or late 80s, im not sure. It was on some tourist island, like hawaii or something, and i think it played a little like Police & King Quest back then. I think the main character was wearing a white suit or something... One of the first PC game i've ever played, yet i can't remember the name! It's been nearly 20 years, and i was 6-7 years old back then, it's kinda hard to remember anything. :lol

Bisnic said:
I remember some very old Sierra PC game. Early 90s or late 80s, im not sure. It was on some tourist island, like hawaii or something, and i think it played a little like Police & King Quest back then. I think the main character was wearing a white suit or something... One of the first PC game i've ever played, yet i can't remember the name! It's been nearly 20 years, and i was 6-7 years old back then, it's kinda hard to remember anything. :lol

Operation Stealth springs to mind...
Starts in a latin american airport and the guy on the box has a white suit, I had always wanted to play this but never got round to it!

edit: Leisure Suit Larry?

Bisnic said:

If it was on a tourist island, then you played Leisure Suit Larry 3.

joshschw

It's a PS1 game that I've been trying to find for years. The problem is I can't remember its name. The only thing I remember about it is that there is a certain part at the beginning of the game where a girl asks you to kiss her and you can do so by pressing forward or decline by pressing back. If you kiss her, her boyfriend will show up and kick your ass and it's game over. Any ideas what this game might be?

Also, it's an adventure game and had a futuristic setting.

thanks

yencid

Hmmm im trying to remember a game, it was on ps2. You where a tank (or a vehicle if i remember correctly) that was litteraly you as a character, there where other NPCs which where vehicles as well. You equip weapons and things kinda like an RPG (i vaguely remember equiping wings, not sure tho)

Forbiden

It was a NES game. Don't remember the name at all though. It was side scrolling platformer like Ninja Gaiden, had a boss at the end of every stage and all that good stuff. Aside from that, I don't remember much of the game. I do remember though, that at the beginning of the game, you are asked to select some sort of orb which I believe affected your character in the game.

Forbiden said:
It was a NES game. Don't remember the name at all though. It was side scrolling platformer like Ninja Gaiden, had a boss at the end of every stage and all that good stuff. Aside from that, I don't remember much of the game. I do remember though, that at the beginning of the game, you are asked to select some sort of orb which I believe affected your character in the game.

Conquest of the Crystal Palace?

Bisnic

someguyinahat said:
If it was on a tourist island, then you played Leisure Suit Larry 3.

larry1.jpg

Sure looks like the old Police quest game, and the guy wearing a white suit. Seems like it.
Damn, i didnt know i was playing such a game at my age. Good thing i didn't understand a word of english back then huh?

And its funny how all the early Sierra games were using the same graphic engine.

Bisnic said:
larry1.jpg

Sure looks like the old Police quest game, and the guy wearing a white suit. Seems like it.
Damn, i didnt know i was playing such a game at my age. Good thing i didn't understand a word of english back then huh?

And its funny how all the early Sierra games were using the same graphic engine.

http://sierragamers.com/aspx/m/641124

Start clicking.

Also, are you sure it was a Sierra game? Could've been Les Manley. Not sure if part of that was on an island.

http://gamesolutions.efzeven.nl/les-manley-search-for-the-king-walkthrough-accolade1990/

Bisnic

Sqorgar

Banned
yencid said:
Hmmm im trying to remember a game, it was on ps2. You where a tank (or a vehicle if i remember correctly) that was litteraly you as a character, there where other NPCs which where vehicles as well. You equip weapons and things kinda like an RPG (i vaguely remember equiping wings, not sure tho)
Seek & Destroy?

583311_24389_front.jpg

seek_screen002.jpg

Lumine said:
I think I found it myself. I think it's Beasts & Bumpkins. It was made in 1997. Anyone remember this game? I remember liking it at the time, but it's too long ago to remember if it really was any good and if the gameplay still holds up. Anyone know if it's worth trying to find it?
I think there was a sequel called Knights & Merchants, which I wasn't too impressed with. I think they were both Settlers clones, so if you haven't played Settlers, maybe start with that series. Even better, try the Cultures series.

Bisnic said:
larry1.jpg

That's a screenshot of LSL 1, not 3. LSL 3 looks a little more advanced than that, probably in line with PQ2.

Also, are you sure it was a Sierra game? Could've been Les Manley. Not sure if part of that was on an island.

It wasn't. Also, it should be noted that Les Manley isn't a very good game. Tried to be Leisure Suit Larry, but...well let me just say that when a game isn't good compared to the Leisure Suit Larry series? That's saying something.

Vitet

Anyone know an arcade soccer game where the post-final game is against pirate/alien/golden and some more rare teams, depending on your skills?

This is about the name of a game I played on a PlayStation at a friends house when I was a little kid.

The game involved shooting bubbles from a gun at your enemies. That is all I remember about the game.

Does anyone know what that game is called?

Thanks if you can help. :D

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
MidnightScott said:
This is about the name of a game I played on a PlayStation at a friends house when I was a little kid.

The game involved shooting bubbles from a gun at your enemies. That is all I remember about the game.

Is it Buster Bros?

MidnightScott said:

Rascal_Coverart.png

SabinFigaro said:

You know it might be that, but for some reason I remember it being a 2D game. Thanks anyways :)

EDIT:

sazabirules said:
Is it Buster Bros?
HOLY SHIT YES. I BELIEVE THIS IS IT. I just looked it up on Youtube and I think it is this! :D

Thank you so much, this has been bothering me for many years!

It seems a new game was released for the DS called PANG: Magical Michael in Europe...:eek:

I wonder if it's on PlayStation Network.

Chowfahn

Neo Member
Okay, there's this game that was announced in the past year that I can't remember the name of. There's a trailer and a website for it, but I can't find them. It's got some Link to the Past style combat, 2D and 3D art, and an isometric camera angle. I think it's for XBLA and PSN.

The main character is kinda stubby and has grey hair. Kinda reminds me of the guy from the anime Mushishi. The world takes place on floating blocks in the sky. The narrator for the trailer had a gravelly voice but the art style was very bright and colorful. There was also a feature in the game where you can build buildings in a town or something.

Anyone remember? It looked pretty cool. Thanks in advance.

Oh this is perfect, okay, here are the details

-Sega Genesis
-Involved big robots
-Scrolled upwards
-It was a shooter, lots of futuristic japanese robots and such. You could upgrade your armor with different abilities on the fly. Also, you were flying the whole time.

Man, I'd love to play this again.

Chairhome

Chowfahn said:
Okay, there's this game that was announced in the past year that I can't remember the name of. There's a trailer and a website for it, but I can't find them. It's got some Link to the Past style combat, 2D and 3D art, and an isometric camera angle. I think it's for XBLA and PSN.

The main character is kinda stubby and has grey hair. Kinda reminds me of the guy from the anime Mushishi. The world takes place on floating blocks in the sky. The narrator for the trailer had a gravelly voice but the art style was very bright and colorful. There was also a feature in the game where you can build buildings in a town or something.

Anyone remember? It looked pretty cool. Thanks in advance.
Bastion?

bastion09201000061set1.jpg

iMike76

Banned
Me and my brother played this game in the arcades probably in the late 80's or early 90's. It was a 2 player football type game with robots on tank like treads.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Chairhome

iMike76 said:
Me and my brother played this game in the arcades probably in the late 80's or early 90's. It was a 2 player football type game with robots on tank like treads.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Cyberball.jpg

Cyberball

williamsan said:
Oh this is perfect, okay, here are the details

-Sega Genesis
-Involved big robots
-Scrolled upwards
-It was a shooter, lots of futuristic japanese robots and such. You could upgrade your armor with different abilities on the fly. Also, you were flying the whole time.

Man, I'd love to play this again.
M.U.S.H.A.?

Rl9q7.png
WwAhr.gif

Sniper McBlaze said:

What could it be?

Anyone? :(

Top Bottom