• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

mclem

CiSTM said:
Vague description but here it goes.

- it's a puzzle game, you play as a wizard (it has co-op), levels are just one screen big but there are plenty of puzzles in every level. I don't remember exact goal of the levels but it might be that you had to obtain a key and use it on a lock door. It has very colorfull style yet the deaths were really brutal. There were such enemies as flesh eating plants and etc. I also think it was a second game in the installment.

It was very much like Solomon's Key except for the violence and all. I thinl I played it around 1998/99 ?

Any idea as to a platform?

So, a few months ago, I watched a trailer for a certain third person WRPG. It was a Cinematic/Gameplay trailer, with several people in a room, talking about a story, of the main character, and how he escaped from a prison. The trailer really put emphasis on non linear design, and making your own story decision. The gameplay was semi stealthy.

AFAIK, this is either a 2010, or a 2011 release. Anyone know the name of this game?

CiSTM

Banned
Setvan2734 said:
So, a few months ago, I watched a trailer for a certain third person WRPG. It was a Cinematic/Gameplay trailer, with several people in a room, talking about a story, of the main character, and how he escaped from a prison. The trailer really put emphasis on non linear design, and making your own story decision. The gameplay was semi stealthy.

AFAIK, this is either a 2010, or a 2011 release. Anyone know the name of this game?

Witcher 2 I do believe. hot item amongst the pc gaf right now.
edit. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413180

Dali

I've been trying to remember the name of a PC, fan, project, that looked like a spiritual sequel to Skygunner. At least I think it was a fan project. It looked really good and I believe the art direction mimicked Skygunner very well. Unlike the free-roaming gameplay of Skygunner, this game looked like it was more of an on-rails shooter like Starfox. IIRC development had stalled (maybe a C&D order) or it was otherwise just not released. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Was it ever actually released?

edit:

Nevermind

I've been typing all sorts of word combinations into google for the past week: PC Sky Gunner fan project skygunner sequel, etc. but I didn't think to use "on-rails" until after I typed that description. Came right up.:lol

Danneee

Danneee said:
One game I have tried to get the name on for quite a while is an old (beginning-middle 90s) tank game, it is action oriented and the main thing I remember is that everything was made out of polygons, even the explosions which was quite unusual at the time (the look was akin to SEGA model 1 arcade games).
You control the tank from an first person perspective but I think you could change the view and you control the angle of the shots ut and down as well as controlling the tank.
Maybe a bit vague but after going through a lot of old game sites and still not finding it I put my hopes on fellow gaffers.
Oh, and the format was MSDOS(PC).
Somebody must have played it?

Trying this again.

Giard

I hope you guys can help me out, the "First RPG you've ever played" thread made me think of this one...

It was on the Genesis, a really bad RPG. IIRC, you were this guy with green hair and blue armor. The difficulty, at least at first, was extremely high. You had to grind at the first enemies for a couple of levels (and you had to be really lucky not to get killed) to get some cash for equipment. I think there was Dragon or King in the name...not sure.
Maybe this part might be from a different game, but I recall rescuing a guy in a blue mantle from wolves.

Giard said:
I hope you guys can help me out, the "First RPG you've ever played" thread made me think of this one...

It was on the Genesis, a really bad RPG. IIRC, you were this guy with green hair and blue armor. The difficulty, at least at first, was extremely high. You had to grind at the first enemies for a couple of levels (and you had to be really lucky not to get killed) to get some cash for equipment. I think there was Dragon or King in the name...not sure.
Maybe this part might be from a different game, but I recall rescuing a guy in a blue mantle from wolves.

Pretty sure you are thinking of Sorcerers Kingdom. I hated that game immensely.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZEZc6uHVtc

Big Chungus

I'm looking for the name of this old PC game from around 1995/1996, I got the demo with my Compaq Presario.

You play as a human in a catacomb trying to escape a minotaur. It was a side scroller type game, and every time you hit the next screen, it would take you to a new hallway. Sometimes the new hallways would have an opening on the wall, and you would be able to see the Minotaur in the previous hallway.

I know it also had a two player mode with a split screen where the second player would control the minotaur.

Kind of hard to explain so I drew this crappy picture:

6r5zrn.jpg

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
So yeah, I was discussing an indie flash game called You have no legs with a friend on facebook, and on the topic of playing as a disabled protagonist, he said it vaguely reminded him of a genesis game where the hero didn't have any legs either. Sadly, he had long forgotten it's name. Since it didn't ring a bell and I couldn't find anything like it, I was naturally intrigued and wanted to know more about it, if it even existed.

My friend's description of the game:

• It's a SEGA Mega Drive /Genesis game
  • You are trapped in the future and you have no legs
  • You have some kind of armcannons, or some kind of weapons mounted on your
    shoulders
  • You ran around in a labyrinth and the water level kept rising
  • It was probably an awful game

So, how about it? Help me find this game to put an end to my curiosity?

I'd hazard Vectorman but I know I'm probably wrong. That's from the fact it was a Genesis/Megadrive game and the fact you had arm cannons. That's it. And it's the future.

Sword Familiar

Megadrive said:
I'd hazard Vectorman but I know I'm probably wrong. That's from the fact it was a Genesis/Megadrive game and the fact you had arm cannons. That's it. And it's the future.

Only he has legs. Well, sort of. :/ Then again, this is a proxy request so it might be anything.

MisterNoisy

Sword Familiar said:
So yeah, I was discussing an indie flash game called You have no legs with a friend on facebook, and on the topic of playing as a disabled protagonist, he said it vaguely reminded him of a genesis game where the hero didn't have any legs either. Sadly, he had long forgotten it's name. Since it didn't ring a bell and I couldn't find anything like it, I was naturally intrigued and wanted to know more about it, if it even existed.

My friend's description of the game:

• It's a SEGA Mega Drive /Genesis game
  • You are trapped in the future and you have no legs
  • You have some kind of armcannons, or some kind of weapons mounted on your
    shoulders
  • You ran around in a labyrinth and the water level kept rising
  • It was probably an awful game

So, how about it? Help me find this game to put an end to my curiosity?

Fatal Rewind?

Alright guys, this was a long time ago, and I have very very vague memories, but here goes:

'88 or '89, was played on some old PC (at school, in our Gifted & Talented program room). Was in color, top-down view a la Gauntlet, in a castle, blue (brick?) walls, black floor (pure black, not a texture of any type). May have been a one room per screen type of game, or may have had scrolling, I don't recall. I only remember having to find keys and unlock doors to progress. There may or may not have been skeleton enemies. I'm pretty sure the player was a knight.

It may or may not have been edutainment; I remember playing math blaster type educational games in the same place, but I think this one was more of a game for fun's sake than an educational one.

Major props to anyone who can help me identify this game.

What sparked this memory was the screenshot of Bokosuka Wars at this link: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6251/gems_in_the_rough_yesterdays_.php

It looked sorta like that, but not exactly...

Sword Familiar

MisterNoisy said:

I asked him, and it was indeed Fatal Rewind. Many thanks, MisterNoisy! I knew I could count on GAF for this one. :)

Granted, the robot actually does have legs, but I can understand how someone who hasn't played it in years would remember it differently.

Sykotik

I've had this game on my mind for what seems to be over 12 years. I can't remember too many details other than it being a 2D game similar to Contra. The specific gameplay is unclear to me.

These next few details may be completely false, but it seems to be all I can come up with.

I believe it was on the Sega Saturn, though, I can't be sure. It could very well be on any modern/last gen system available during the time of the Saturn/PSX.

I think you played as a red humanoid robot, roughly the same scale as in Contra on the SNES. I'm not sure if it was a complete Contra clone, or if it had melee weapons as well. It could also have possibly had some sort of floating/flying mechanic.

The one vision that sticks out as the most prominent was one of the boss fights.

You were flying/running through a tunnel at high speed and a dog robot thing with a giant red eye/core on the front of it would run at you back and forth through the screen. I painted a very detailed picture to help illustrate my vision! I know it looks pretty lame, but this is what I remember the boss looking like. I even remember playing with clay/playdoh and trying to build it. Its a cylinder with a giant red eye on the front. Trying to remember this game is becoming the bane of my existence. Oh, all knowing GAF.. save me!

34ybnz9.png

vejas

Banned
I am not sure if this is just a sprite or if it comes from a game?

_______96x96_.png

I just want to know because I really love the character design.

You are born somewhere randomly in the world and have to go through the stuff that people in that part of the world might go through. You might be born in the developed world or somewhere with a very low life expectancy. You can go to college and shit or just work on a farm your whole life.

I think i found it on gaf years ago think there was a thread about it, might even be a java game, not sure.

I can use help finding a game too.

You were a zookeeper. You went around a zoo, cleaning up litter and restoring the habitat for animals. When the habitat was clean, you could see these cheesy zoo pictures. These weird monster things were responsible for the mess and you had to lock them up by tracking down clues.

Old PC game from the early 90s, pretty sure it was floppy based.

Pachimari

You guys gotta help me, I have to use it for a review of mine.

I think the game is from the 80s? But have seen many revisions. It had a black background, enemies at the top and then you had a spaceship at the bottom you could move left/right and shoot the enemies above. It had a bird perspective.

What was it named?
I'm keep thinking something along "space harrier", "infinity something" - I really can't remember the title of the game. =/

MrPing1000 said:
You are born somewhere randomly in the world and have to go through the stuff that people in that part of the world might go through. You might be born in the developed world or somewhere with a very low life expectancy. You can go to college and shit or just work on a farm your whole life.

I think i found it on gaf years ago think there was a thread about it, might even be a java game, not sure.

I believe you're thinking of Real Lives.

Ventron

I very vaguely remember a game on the PowerMac. I think it involved math puzzles, but every so often, it would play a cutscene of an evil-looking rat taunting you, complete with voice acting.

blitz64

I'm looking for the name of an arcade game.

It is 4 player coop similar to Final Fight beatem up. I think one guy wears a red shirt, one wears a green shirt, one wears a blue shirt. You can punch. You can pick up weapons like a bat or whip. If you knock down the enemy, you can kick them on the floor. There are like 5 stages and I usually can get to the last boss on 1 quarter.

I used to play it all the time but can't remember the name. please help.

DeadTrees

blitz64 said:
I'm looking for the name of an arcade game.

It is 4 player coop similar to Final Fight beatem up. I think one guy wears a red shirt, one wears a green shirt, one wears a blue shirt. You can punch. You can pick up weapons like a bat or whip. If you knock down the enemy, you can kick them on the floor. There are like 5 stages and I usually can get to the last boss on 1 quarter.

I used to play it all the time but can't remember the name. please help.
Probably either Crime Fighters or Vendetta.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, I know the name of this game, but thanks to that name its impossible to track down. It was a top-down SHMUP that was PC Shareware, where you were down on the surface of a planet navigating canyons and stuff, with decent graphics artistically. And it was called "Retro"

Yes, a game called "Retro". Google searches for "retro space shooter" have been so helpful.
Can anyone point me towards it? Anyone ever recall it?

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sword Familiar said:
I asked him, and it was indeed Fatal Rewind. Many thanks, MisterNoisy! I knew I could count on GAF for this one. :)

Granted, the robot actually does have legs, but I can understand how someone who hasn't played it in years would remember it differently.

What the hell, that's The Killing Gameshow on the Amiga! I didn't know there was another title for it.

mclem

Ventron said:
I very vaguely remember a game on the PowerMac. I think it involved math puzzles, but every so often, it would play a cutscene of an evil-looking rat taunting you, complete with voice acting.

Could that possibly be The Lost Mind of Dr. Brain? I believe that had a Mac release.

mclem

The_Technomancer said:
Alright, I know the name of this game, but thanks to that name its impossible to track down. It was a top-down SHMUP that was PC Shareware, where you were down on the surface of a planet navigating canyons and stuff, with decent graphics artistically. And it was called "Retro"

Yes, a game called "Retro". Google searches for "retro space shooter" have been so helpful.
Can anyone point me towards it? Anyone ever recall it?

Was it recent? I've spotted a recent Game Maker game which seems to fit the description.

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=477686

kuYuri

I remember my brother buying me an original Game Boy game where Japan was invaded by aliens or something. It was a top down game where you had to trap the aliens by shoveling holes and then closing them up again.

Anyone heard of this?

RyanDG

Strider2K99 said:
I remember my brother buying me an original Game Boy game where Japan was invaded by aliens or something. It was a top down game where you had to trap the aliens by shoveling holes and then closing them up again.

Anyone heard of this?

Heiankyo Alien

It was a fun little arcade game.

Paches

There was this really old PC game I used to play when I was really young and it was like a platformer. You could select which level to go in to from a hub world type deal and the hub world had signs all over saying "Champions don't do drugs!" and similar sayings that were generally pathetic. I think you also collected crystals and had a miner's hat on. It was a great game!

mclem

Paches-EJ- said:
There was this really old PC game I used to play when I was really young and it was like a platformer. You could select which level to go in to from a hub world type deal and the hub world had signs all over saying "Champions don't do drugs!" and similar sayings that were generally pathetic. I think you also collected crystals and had a miner's hat on. It was a great game!

That'll be Crystal Caves

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/crystal-caves/screenshots/gameShotId,25393/

Dilemma

I bought (what I assume is) a Japanese SNES game in Indonesia about 15 years ago. I vaguely remembered it was something about ninjas, there was a ninja on the box.

Gameplay wise you play a ninja in a sidescroller game like Castlevania. I remember getting stuck like 5 minutes into the game and never passing that, I think I was stuck at a green dragon boss, but I'm not really sure, all I remember is a big room I got stuck on.

DonMigs85

Anybody remember the name of this Game Boy game? It may have been Japan-only, you basically had to fit blocks into each other to fit within a rectangle.

Game was a sidescroller/puzzle type. The graphics claymation. It was from the mid-late 90's if I recall correctly. I want to say "Never-something" but I don't know.

Derp. I remember now. Neverhood. Game rocked!

Top Bottom