• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

I thought of another one!

It was on Sega Saturn. It was a REALLY fucking game in a first person perspective. If I recall correctly you start out in space and the first level you walk like 10 steps before being fucking DESTROYED by a bunch of space demons. I seem to remember them looking sort of similar to the pink demons with horns in Doom.

There's another game my brother used to play. It was a top down strategy game I think. It was made by KOEI iirc. Everything took place in the sky with airplanes and airships and shit.

BioHazard

I remember this educational PC game I played in school, it took place in like the North Pole, or on a mountain or something, somewhere snowy and you were a mountain climber or something with an ice pick. I think it taught math, not sure though, maybe it taught a bunch of things. I'd appreciate it if someone knew!

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
This was an old, old, old game on the PC. It had really blocky 3D models that reminded me of something from the original Alone in the Dark. You were in a weird fantasy village, with lots of creepy (pig?) monsters around. At one point in the game, you go to a castle, I believe, and get turned into a frog. It creeped the shit out of me as a kid. I'd love to revisit it.

EXGN

BioHazard said:
I remember this educational PC game I played in school, it took place in like the North Pole, or on a mountain or something, somewhere snowy and you were a mountain climber or something with an ice pick. I think it taught math, not sure though, maybe it taught a bunch of things. I'd appreciate it if someone knew!

Sounds like the sequel to Treasure Mountain, Treasure Mathstorm. Fucking loved Treasure Mountain.

Super%20Solvers%20-%20Treasure%20MathStorm_1.png

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
ProudClod said:
This was an old, old, old game on the PC. It had really blocky 3D models that reminded me of something from the original Alone in the Dark. You were in a weird fantasy village, with lots of creepy (pig?) monsters around. At one point in the game, you go to a castle, I believe, and get turned into a frog. It creeped the shit out of me as a kid. I'd love to revisit it.

I also remember a little girl? And maybe some sort of stuffed toy inside the town.

Desi

I need help finding a game's official site, mainly because I do not know the name of the game. I don't believe the game ever was released because they could not find a publisher but I want to look at it anyway!

So here it goes:

-Premise is an Online PC First Person/Third Person Fantasy game similar in a way to the current Call of Duty series including level progression.

-Everything expected in a fantasy setting; dragons, dwarfs, old mages, assassins, mounts, etc.

-First trailer released involved a thief/assassin sneak killing someone before encountering a giant blue ogre of some sort.

-There was also a video released where a ton of dwarfs run around on screen to show off the graphics and AI the developers were able to pull off.

RyanDG

ProudClod said:

Do you remember what genre of game it was?

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Ducky_McGee said:
I thought of another one!

It was on Sega Saturn. It was a REALLY fucking game in a first person perspective. If I recall correctly you start out in space and the first level you walk like 10 steps before being fucking DESTROYED by a bunch of space demons. I seem to remember them looking sort of similar to the pink demons with horns in Doom.
Could you be thinking of:

4kqddj5

Grath

Desi said:
I need help finding a game's official site, mainly because I do not know the name of the game. I don't believe the game ever was released because they could not find a publisher but I want to look at it anyway!

So here it goes:

-Premise is an Online PC First Person/Third Person Fantasy game similar in a way to the current Call of Duty series including level progression.

-Everything expected in a fantasy setting; dragons, dwarfs, old mages, assassins, mounts, etc.

-First trailer released involved a thief/assassin sneak killing someone before encountering a giant blue ogre of some sort.

-There was also a video released where a ton of dwarfs run around on screen to show off the graphics and AI the developers were able to pull off.

Project Offset?

Edit: if it is, it was cancelled last year by the publisher, Intel, and they deleted everything official from the net.

DonMigs85

Was there a vertical shooter for Genesis/Megadrive where you played as an angel? It's not Wings of Wor, by the way.
EDIT: Found it, it was Phelios

mclem

Dilemma said:
Gameplay wise you play a ninja in a sidescroller game like Castlevania. I remember getting stuck like 5 minutes into the game and never passing that, I think I was stuck at a green dragon boss, but I'm not really sure, all I remember is a big room I got stuck on.

Hagane?

DonMigs85 said:
Anybody remember the name of this Game Boy game? It may have been Japan-only, you basically had to fit blocks into each other to fit within a rectangle.

Daedelian Opus?

ProudClod said:

Ecstatica?

Edit: Bah, beaten on the last one.

Tawpgun

Both of these were for the N64.

One of them was a game where you used what seemed like construction vehicles and you would roll around the city causing absolute mayhem. I remember I loved being able to go wherever I wanted and stuff. They almost looked like toys since the camera was kind of top down but not really. More like a far out third person view.

The second was a star wars game, and I remember I was in some snow facility, and there were those big ass yeti things (forgot what they're called) and you could release them and such. Reason I remember this game was because when you released them they would chase you everywhere and it was the scariest thing ever at the time.

There was a game on the Amiga I used to play when I was maybe 10 years old. It was a platformer and you played a little green dinosaur looking thing with no arms and collected orbs. It was called Hoyx or something maybe. The name of the creature...I dunno, just remember trying to reach the end but it went on and on and on. I don't think it even had stages.

Appollowexx said:
There was a game on the Amiga I used to play when I was maybe 10 years old. It was a platformer and you played a little green dinosaur looking thing with no arms and collected orbs. It was called Hoyx or something maybe. The name of the creature...I dunno, just remember trying to reach the end but it went on and on and on. I don't think it even had stages.
It was called Hoi.

dSaoa.gif

Dilemma

mclem said:

Nope. I also checked every SNES game with 'Ninja' in the name on Wikipedia, and none of em are what I'm looking for.

I think the first level is a dark forest, but I could be mistaken as it's been so long ago since I played it.

Dilemma said:
Nope. I also checked every SNES game with 'Ninja' in the name on Wikipedia, and none of em are what I'm looking for.

I think the first level is a dark forest, but I could be mistaken as it's been so long ago since I played it.
Majouuou? (this: http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/577128-majyuuou/images )

The first level is on a bridge, but there is a forest a few stages in I think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jN4Umqo-bk

Or Realm, maybe? It's a European game, and is more of a Contra-style game, but it does start in a forest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jN4Umqo-bk

It's probably not either of these, but I thought I'd mention the possibilities.

Ok I was thinking for a while If i should post this or not because I wasn't sure If anyone could know what I'm talking about.

This is a game on Sega Mega Drive/Genesis... a 2D adventure starting a skeleton knight, there was a big map shows your progress and there was night time and Ice level and a traps .

I don't know how to explain the game more... but this is all what i can remember because I only played it once and that was more than 15 years ago :\

I really liked the game and I wish I could play it now :(

ProudClod said:
What a strange coincidence... I was just going to ask about just this game when I say your post and then the answer.

Celine

The Praiseworthy said:
Ok I was thinking for a while If i should post this or not because I wasn't sure If anyone could know what I'm talking about.

This is a game on Sega Mega Drive/Genesis... a 2D adventure starting a skeleton knight, there was a big map shows your progress and there was night time and Ice level and a traps .

I don't know how to explain the game more... but this is all what i can remember because I only played it once and that was more than 15 years ago :\

I really liked the game and I wish I could play it now :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUZ9hSrl8Nw
?

Does anyone remember a turn based overhead dogfighting game from the 90s? the backdrop was clouds and you'd navigate fighters (i think ww2 era) on the screen. Steambirds is very similar to it but I want to find the original.

eso76

The Praiseworthy said:
Sorry but no it's not :(

My game start on the field in the middle of the night and goes on and on traveling and reaching other places on the map... the music also was so atmospheric... I remember there was many traps and the game was also hard for it's time ( or my age ) .

Decap attack ?

FaidSint

This may have already been done.. but my neighbors used to have a PS1 game that I can't remember the name of. You used to be little little capsule-like colorful men, like the Minions in Despicable Me and you would run around shooting each other and killing each other, I'm pretty sure with guns and stuff. One of the main levels had a little pyramid in the center of the level we used to always play. I'm pretty sure you could get vehicles and stuff?

It was a top down goofy colorful shooter and I remember loving it. Haven't thought about it in years. Any takers?

EXGN

FaidSint said:
This may have already been done.. but my neighbors used to have a PS1 game that I can't remember the name of. You used to be little little capsule-like colorful men, like the Minions in Despicable Me and you would run around shooting each other and killing each other, I'm pretty sure with guns and stuff. One of the main levels had a little pyramid in the center of the level we used to always play. I'm pretty sure you could get vehicles and stuff?

It was a top down goofy colorful shooter and I remember loving it. Haven't thought about it in years. Any takers?

Team Buddies. One of my favorite PS1 games, an absolute blast. Always wished that Midway had tries a sequel, would have been awesome for online play.

ameratsu

old pc game i used to play. most likely from the mid-late nineties but i'm not positive

- you managed a business/factory type operation
- started by buying a building iirc. from there you purchased manufacturing and office equipment to get your operation going
- conduct r&d while producing goods for sale
- had to hire and manage employees with specific skills
- different machinery produced different partially made products, which had to be further refined with other machinery to make finished products for sale
- how you organized machinery mattered for efficient production
- stuff could break down, employees could get mad

I have one, it was a 1990 (or around there) pc game called secret agent or something...
The first level you were trying to land an sr-71 blackbird and the level after that was a speedboat chase... every level was different there was even a parachute level when the blackbird crashes and you eject.

I think the graphics were ega or early early vga.

Been trying to find this game for years!

Tunavi said:
2aj5o5l.gif

What is this game? Were there other games in the same universe? I think there was one about directing your own movies.

That game is Sammy's Science House. (They STILL have it in schools and kids play it to this day.)

There are indeed other games in the same universe. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Bailey's Book House.

Edit: Oh yeah and Millie's Math House.

Good to see this thread is still going.

I actually remembered a game this morning that I wanted to check out. I don't remember all of the details, but it was a 3D space shooter with slight mining elements. Basically you had full freedom of movement and a laser that let you mine your way through asteroids in order to make new paths/ambushes etc.

I think the name actually changed from the original title too, but I can't remember much about it. GAF search fails as always.

You were like a caveman or Tarzan-like guy with pink hair fighting pigs... I used to play it a lot when I was little and I can't remember the name at all.

BudokaiMR2 said:
Good to see this thread is still going.

I actually remembered a game this morning that I wanted to check out. I don't remember all of the details, but it was a 3D space shooter with slight mining elements. Basically you had full freedom of movement and a laser that let you mine your way through asteroids in order to make new paths/ambushes etc.

I think the name actually changed from the original title too, but I can't remember much about it. GAF search fails as always.

Are you talking about Miner Wars?

Resubmitting this one, in the hope that someone can crack this. I'm beginning to think I hallucinated the whole thing.

I do remember the animated cutscenes being pretty good, while the inflight 3D work being kinda grainy or simplistic.

Pylon_Trooper said:
Here's one, I'm trying to find info about a UFO "simulator" game that came out in the late nineties. It had animated cutscenes, but the ingame graphics were 3D. It had you doing abductions IIRC, but also fiddling about with the unique flight engine. It was for PC.

The name was UFO, but perhaps there was a suffix or something. Either way, it's incredibly hard to find any sort of info on it without getting neck-deep in Altar's UFO Aftershock/aftermath/afterlight series, or the original XCOM games.

Any help?

Exuro

Holy crap, this thread made me do some venturing on my own. All I really remembered was that it was education and there was a song that went something like something something zimba zayha.... ... see him here the zulu warrior. I google searched that , found the song and then found some comment about it being in a "Rusty and Rosy" game back in the day. I google that, can't find any pictures until I stumbled upon this shot.

!CF3oy3g!mk~$(KGrHqJ,!lQE1F318lffBNWcBDTT8w~~0_12.JPG

HOLY NOSTALGIA BATMAN!!!

Does anyone know where I can find screens or anything of old dos games because I'm having trouble finding media on this. It's been such a long time but I remember that manual cover. Now I can't stop looking up info on this. It's been such a long time friend...

EDIT:OMG the description,,,

"Long before they enter school, most children are eager to read. Read With Me capitalizes on this instinctive desire. With Read With Me, your kids can get rewards for recognizing colors, shapes, uppercase and lowercase letters, simple words, and rhymes. Kids can build words and hear them spoken by the computer. And to keep them highly involved, kids can explore deserted ruins, abandoned mines, beautiful lagoons, and long-lost temples, all desgined with beautiful graphics and sound. "

This is EXACTLY as I "remember" it!!!! man I've got to get ahold of one of these.

Top Bottom