• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Sallokin

Ok, If anyone can help me on this one I'd appreciate it.

Sega Genesis, Side-scrolling platformer featuring superdeformed/chibi style female character(s). I believe it came in a yellow box like the old sunsoft games, but I can't find any of their games that matches that description. I thought it may have been magic knight rayearth, but that's definitely not it.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Sallokin said:
Ok, If anyone can help me on this one I'd appreciate it.

Sega Genesis, Side-scrolling platformer featuring superdeformed/chibi style female character(s). I believe it came in a yellow box like the old sunsoft games, but I can't find any of their games that matches that description. I thought it may have been magic knight rayearth, but that's definitely not it.
Syd of Valis, known as SD Valis in Japan.

26s4nxq

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Sallokin said:
Holy balls that's it. Thanks!
But of course. I was quite a fan of the Valis series back in the day.

Trivia: Syd of Valis is a super-deformed version of Valis II.

More Trivia: The Valis series has now been reduced to a series of hentai games.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to remember this japan only PS2 action game but I can't remember anything about it besides the cover

i think it had a humanoid mech suit on a white background with the title.

Not alot to go on but I'm completely drawing a blank trying to remember it.

ZAK

So theres this game on SNES that I played way back when as a little kid. I can't remember the name though, and I'm not sure if I have enough details for someone else to identify it, but I figured I'd try anyway. So the main character is male and cartooney, and not exactly human I don't think. And theres this part (probably at the very beginning of the game) where your rolling in a barrel and theres bombs and stuff that you have to avoid. Thats pretty much all I got :p

Dizzy-4U

What was the name of that game where you control a spaceship and you can enter a planet seamlessly. I remember a video showing the ship going through an asteroid field and entering a planet without loading. Pretty impresive tech.

This is going to be vague as hell as I don't remember much, but here it goes anyway. It's an arcade game, and I played it in my local 7-11 back in 1990-91. I know it had to be early 90's since the machine was right next to Street Fighter 2. The game can be be described as a run and gun with mercenary type playable characters. It played a lot like like Contra 3, hell I'd go as far as saying it was a Contra game, and at the beginning of the first level the characters yelled "tally ho" or "rally ho" or something along those lines. It may or may have not been part of an SNK players choice machine. Any ideas?

Dizzy-4U said:
What was the name of that game where you control a spaceship and you can enter a planet seamlessly. I remember a video showing the ship going through an asteroid field and entering a planet without loading. Pretty impresive tech.

There's a few, The Tomorrow War is one of them. I'm not sure if that's the one you recall, though.

Here's one, I'm trying to find info about a UFO "simulator" game that came out in the late nineties. It had animated cutscenes, but the ingame graphics were 3D. It had you doing abductions IIRC, but also fiddling about with the unique flight engine. It was for PC.

The name was UFO, but perhaps there was a suffix or something. Either way, it's incredibly hard to find any sort of info on it without getting neck-deep in Altar's UFO Aftershock/aftermath/afterlight series, or the original XCOM games.

Any help?

CJUNDERGROUND said:
This is going to be vague as hell as I don't remember much, but here it goes anyway. It's an arcade game, and I played it in my local 7-11 back in 1990-91. I know it had to be early 90's since the machine was right next to Street Fighter 2. The game can be be described as a run and gun with mercenary type playable characters. It played a lot like like Contra 3, hell I'd go as far as saying it was a Contra game, and at the beginning of the first level the characters yelled "tally ho" or "rally ho" or something along those lines. It may or may have not been part of an SNK players choice machine. Any ideas?
Cyber Lip? One of the Metal Slug games maybe?

mclem

ZAK said:
So theres this game on SNES that I played way back when as a little kid. I can't remember the name though, and I'm not sure if I have enough details for someone else to identify it, but I figured I'd try anyway. So the main character is male and cartooney, and not exactly human I don't think. And theres this part (probably at the very beginning of the game) where your rolling in a barrel and theres bombs and stuff that you have to avoid. Thats pretty much all I got :p

Kid Klown?

Dizzy-4U

Pylon_Trooper said:
There's a few, The Tomorrow War is one of them. I'm not sure if that's the one you recall, though.
Nope, it's not that one. I think the game hasn't been released yet. It was supposed to cover the whole galaxy and I'm not sure, but it's probably an MMO. There was a thread here in GAF about a year ago but I forgot to bookmark it.

You see the spaceship in 3rd person and when you enter a planet you can see the effect of entering the atmosphere. I think it was more like a sim than a space shooter.

eso76

Dizzy-4U said:
Nope, it's not that one. I think the game hasn't been released yet. It was supposed to cover the whole galaxy and I'm not sure, but it's probably an MMO. There was a thread here in GAF about a year ago but I forgot to bookmark it.

You see the spaceship in 3rd person and when you enter a planet you can see the effect of entering the atmosphere. I think it was more like a sim than a space shooter.

oh, i think i vaguely remember that.
But it was more of an indie game, wasn't it ?

webrunner

Dizzy-4U said:

Infinity?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkGsj_hln1c
http://www.infinity-universe.com/

eso76

Pylon_Trooper said:
The name was UFO, but perhaps there was a suffix or something. Either way, it's incredibly hard to find any sort of info on it without getting neck-deep in Altar's UFO Aftershock/aftermath/afterlight series, or the original XCOM games.

Any help?

I remember a game named Ufo: enemy unknown, but maybe that's an xcom game too, didn't check.

i also remember a UFO: Extraterrestrials too, and i think that's not a game from the xcom series.

There was this one games for Windows that I can't recall the name of. It was some sort of 2D fighting game that had robotic animals as playable characters. I think the year that I played it was around '97-98.

dismas

I remember playing this helicopter horizontal side-scrolling game on Windows 95 or 98. You controlled a helicopter with a white/black camo pattern. You shot stuff which left behind silver or gold dollar signs. The game played from right to left. In between missions you could spend money to replenish armor or buy better weapons. There were saboteurs that walked along the ground and blew stuff up.

HAY GAF, please help me find out the name of this one for a friend...
The Mighty Kawaiizilla said:
1. It was an arcade game, from the 80's-90's era.
2. At the beginning, the main character is riding a bike... he jumps and in mid air (while still on the bike) he throws a hadouken-like fireball and destroys a door. Then the first level begins.
3. It's a side-scroller, with a end-level boss fight.
4. Not a platforming game, but it has a jump button.
5. No weapons, only kicks and punches. Also, he can throw a 'hadouken' by pressing punch for 5 seconds. If you press it less than 5 seconds, he throws a mini-fireball that embarasses him.
6. There was an underground level.
7. There was a vampire-like bossfight.

Thanks ^_^

bdouble

3rd person action game. Had knives and guns. It hasn't been released yet but was shown a few years ago. Set in post apocalyptic world. Guy had dreads I believe.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
bdouble said:
3rd person action game. Had knives and guns. It hasn't been released yet but was shown a few years ago. Set in post apocalyptic world. Guy had dreads I believe.

Shadow the Hedgehog?

okay, i finally remembered this thread exists so hopefully someone can help me out:

• windows/pc game from the early-mid 90s
  • think it was specifically windows 95 because i remember downloading it from like downloads.com or shareware.com and it was a big deal that it was a windows 95 only game
  • game had a simplistic polygonal style like cybersled (its not cybersled) or hard drivin' (its not that either) but it was definitely in a weird futuristic desert-like setting
  • the demo was basically a giant open area littered with ramps and jumps and fairly basic (but large) structures that you raced around on a futuristic looking motorcycle
  • i'm sure there was a point to the demo but it was timed and all i remember doing is spending the time racing around, jumping/ramping/falling.
  • i want to say it was called 'cyber' something (i promise its not cybersled, you were on future bikes, not sleds) or some kind of similar edgy futuristic name a game would have in 1993-95
any help is appreciated. its been nagging me for many many years.

ps - its not spectre vr, but spectre vr looks a lot like the game i'm talking about

Omikron

Ok, game I can't remember and/or seem to be mistaking...

I believe it was a Die Hard game from the early 90s, PC, involved a black john mclane, but for the life of me I can't find ANY information via google...

Surely this thing existed and I am not just going insane.

Rabbitwork said:
okay, i finally remembered this thread exists so hopefully someone can help me out:

• windows/pc game from the early-mid 90s
  • think it was specifically windows 95 because i remember downloading it from like downloads.com or shareware.com and it was a big deal that it was a windows 95 only game
  • game had a simplistic polygonal style like cybersled (its not cybersled) or hard drivin' (its not that either) but it was definitely in a weird futuristic desert-like setting
  • the demo was basically a giant open area littered with ramps and jumps and fairly basic (but large) structures that you raced around on a futuristic looking motorcycle
  • i'm sure there was a point to the demo but it was timed and all i remember doing is spending the time racing around, jumping/ramping/falling.
  • i want to say it was called 'cyber' something (i promise its not cybersled, you were on future bikes, not sleds) or some kind of similar edgy futuristic name a game would have in 1993-95
any help is appreciated. its been nagging me for many many years.

ps - its not spectre vr, but spectre vr looks a lot like the game i'm talking about

Not Tanarus? That's a tank game too, like Spectre VR, but sounds a little bit like what you say.

Also, Windows 95 game, couldn't be from before 1995... :)

Roto13

I vaguely remember playing a platformer on the NES that (I think) had anime-style graphics. The main character had a little round(?) brown and furry(?) sidekick thing that he could throw at enemies. I think it had two flailing little feet and no arms.

My memory is really hazy on this one, unfortunately.

Roto13

Here's one I saw someone ask on another site and now I'm curious. :p

Ok this is probably a longshot but I vaguely remember a game that I played maybe ten years ago, I rented it once and in all likelyhood it is for super nintendo. The following is pretty much everything I remember, it's not much but if you've played it maybe you'll know. I was twelve so here goes:

First off this an RPG game, fairly sure it's turn based. You seem to start out in some kind of lab with a fight right off the bat. After the fight I remember there being a world map that you could wonder around on, I'm pretty sure it had random battles. Also there was a bridge that you couldn't cross, either it hadn't been built yet or you just couldn't cross it. (No this is not FF1) I feel like the battles around here were considerably harder than elsewhere.

Here's a few more details that I can't remember for sure, don't focus on these so much:
-I think you might battle some kind of red weird looking monster in a lab and a scientist, but I'm not sure
-I think it may have been an island on the world map that you start at
-I feel like the lab blew up or something afterword, like it was flashing red during the fight or something
-you had a female companion that started the game with you.

Thanks, I may not remember enough to figure this out but I'm sure some day I'll find this game.

Roto13 said:
Here's one I saw someone ask on another site and now I'm curious. :p

Kind of sounds like Tecmo's Secret of the Stars for the snes. The island and the scientist, and the lab exploding are what make me think this.

eso76

Omi said:
Ok, game I can't remember and/or seem to be mistaking...

I believe it was a Die Hard game from the early 90s, PC, involved a black john mclane, but for the life of me I can't find ANY information via google...

Surely this thing existed and I am not just going insane.

oh, yes, i remember that.
you're not going insane, it was a third person game not too dissimilar from the second segment of that old PsOne game, but with more adventure and exploration maybe. edit; it also came out much earlier than that one, i believe it's actually late 80's, or around the same time as Stunts.
Never played it, but i remember reading great reviews about it.

there it is, die hard - activision (developed by dynamix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_3dN9voPq0

Die_hard.png

Lard

Banned
After Raiden 3 on PS2, there was another Raiden game released.

It looked like it was done by an American company, but I'm not sure and it had a yellowish cover.

Anyone?

Oops - not Raiden, RType Final. :/

Minamu

I remember a music creation "game" back on the original playstation. I think you could only make techno songs (at least in the demo), basically by placing blocks of sounds on a black board? I played that demo to death a long time ago :( It came with the UK version of OPM I believe. Anyone know what game I'm talking about?

Minamu said:
I remember a music creation "game" back on the original playstation. I think you could only make techno songs (at least in the demo), basically by placing blocks of sounds on a black board? I played that demo to death a long time ago :( It came with the UK version of OPM I believe. Anyone know what game I'm talking about?

MTV Music Generator?

Trying to remember the name of a PC game from circa 2000-ish.

It was a deathmatch game (at least the demo was) with polygonal graphics where you play as wizards in a fantasy/medieval setting and shoot each other with spells and magic. I think it was first-person. Some of the levels were a castle or fortress, a church(?), a crypt(?). I honestly don't have any more information than that :/

I put like a million hours into the demo but never bought it.

CiSTM

Banned
Vague description but here it goes.

- it's a puzzle game, you play as a wizard (it has co-op), levels are just one screen big but there are plenty of puzzles in every level. I don't remember exact goal of the levels but it might be that you had to obtain a key and use it on a lock door. It has very colorfull style yet the deaths were really brutal. There were such enemies as flesh eating plants and etc. I also think it was a second game in the installment.

It was very much like Solomon's Key except for the violence and all. I thinl I played it around 1998/99 ?

Sqorgar

Banned
MomoPufflet said:
Trying to remember the name of a PC game from circa 2000-ish.

It was a deathmatch game (at least the demo was) with polygonal graphics where you play as wizards in a fantasy/medieval setting and shoot each other with spells and magic. I think it was first-person. Some of the levels were a castle or fortress, a church(?), a crypt(?). I honestly don't have any more information than that :/
You've just described every single fantasy game ever made, but judging by the deathmatch aspect, I'm going to guess Legends of Might and Magic.

Top Bottom