• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

eso76

Whogie said:
Oh! I have a game like this. It was for the PS1, and it played just like Out Of This World, and it was 2 discs. I can't remember any more than that though.

nice to see my favourite thread bumped !

probaby earth of darkness ?
i don't remember whether it was on 1 or 2 discs

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
NameGenerated said:
I had that. I think it was Jurassic Park: Chaos Island

59u2w4.png

2e0slsl.jpg

YES!

Thank you :D.

evala

Banned
LordAlu said:
yep thats it. thats freaking it. tnx you so much. ill try to find it tommorow in the depths of the internet. i hope its as good as i remember it.

and its also made from the same guys that made Flasback, which is one of my all time favourite games. no wonder i liked it!

evala

Banned
Deadstar said:
YES! Thanks man....this game was incredible. We need From Software to make the new version to keep it dark and tense.
have you tried flashback. the same french studio also made out of this world. also note that there is a sequel to OFTW which was made for Sega CD, you can play it on an emulator and comepletely finish the story of the game.

lordy88

Hey guys, this has been killing me for a while so, I hope y'all can help me out, I don't remember too much though.

- it was a game from the early to mid 90s on the PC
- Consisted of guiding your marble to the exit
- Large variety of levels, some of which had you had to traverse paths that reversed your mouse direction (i.e. you move the ball with the mouse, but left = right suddenly)
- You had to roll over items to progress through some of the levels (I want to say an umbrella had to be retrieved in one of the levels)
- I recall a level with old sprite black/white graphics (I think all of them were black and white)
- Bird's-eye-view perspective
- I believe it was a one word title, possibly starting with the letter "O"

I'll try to remember more, but does anyone have a clue? Thanks!

EDIT: Ha, just found it. Oxyd!

Epix

I used to get to play this game in the computer labs of my old elementary school (think original Oregon Trail days). Anyway all I can remember is that you start out in a telephone booth or something and you use a command line interface to type out the things you want to do ("pick up phone," "grab pencil" etc). Can't remember the name.

mclem

Epix said:
I used to get to play this game in the computer labs of my old elementary school (think original Oregon Trail days). Anyway all I can remember is that you start out in a telephone booth or something and you use a command line interface to type out the things you want to do ("pick up phone," "grab pencil" etc). Can't remember the name.

That description could fit any one of a bazillion text adventures. Don't suppose you've got any more info?

KAL2006

Banned
OK I am looking for a game on PS2. I know it's a 3rd person shooter, and the main character has phychic abilities. Also the story in the game is also pretty good.

Epix

mclem said:
That description could fit any one of a bazillion text adventures. Don't suppose you've got any more info?
Its been a while and the only concrete things I can remember were the phone booth (i think the game ends when you make a call to the correct phone #) and the fact that it was a puzzle game where you had to "look behind the mirror" "grab the key" etc.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I hadn't heard of flashback. I'll check out the sequel as well. Time to finish the fight!

probably make me unpopular, but i really liked Fade to Black at the time (Flashback 2)

jiien

Hey, you guys helped me once before in this thread, and a couple more games came to mind.

Both games I played about...10 years ago or so, if that helps date them.

First was a upscrolling shooter, I think, in which you were a super powered car of some sort, which machine guns. Graphics were sprite-ish. Anyway, you could upgrade your guns, you could leave oil spills behind your car, all sorts of things. There was a desert level...can't say much more about it.

Second had non-sprite type graphics, was sort of a top down space shooter. The "world" was a massive grid, and on each square of the grid was an open, square-shaped part of space in which you could fly around, mine asteroids for gold or something, clear the area of aliens, and land at bases to upgrade your ship. There were different types of ships, faster/weaker and slower/stronger, different types of laser weapons. Missiles at some point too, I think.

Anyway, I've searched for both for a while, and could never find them. As you can imagine, they are somewhat generic, so if anyone has ideas or names I could look up, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Oh also, both of these games were on the computer, both on whatever the Windows OS was at the time.

First was a upscrolling shooter, I think, in which you were a super powered car of some sort, which machine guns. Graphics were sprite-ish. Anyway, you could upgrade your guns, you could leave oil spills behind your car, all sorts of things. There was a desert level...can't say much more about it.

Spy Hunter?

spy-hunter-1.png

Platy

Arcade game ... probably dreamcast like graphics ... on rails .. and your weapon was a machine gun ... like .. the plastic thing you holded was a machine gun.
Time Crisis like cover option

It had a mall/park stage that the boss was an helicopter and an office stage wich .. i have no idea wich was the boss ... too hard for my old reflexes =P

Oh .. and the scenery was full of things to blow up ... wich is why i loved this game xD

was there ever a stand-up arcade cabinet for Spy Hunter that had a steering wheel, a gear lever thing to the right, and a pedal or two at the base of the cabinet? Because there was some game that I used to play (I think I posted it in this thread once and never got a response) that was like Spy Hunter, but I am about 80% positive it wasn't Spy Hunter. But maybe it was.

woodypop

JodyAnthony said:
was there ever a stand-up arcade cabinet for Spy Hunter that had a steering wheel, a gear lever thing to the right, and a pedal or two at the base of the cabinet?
You mean like this?

1067979495.jpg

mclem

jiien said:
Second had non-sprite type graphics, was sort of a top down space shooter. The "world" was a massive grid, and on each square of the grid was an open, square-shaped part of space in which you could fly around, mine asteroids for gold or something, clear the area of aliens, and land at bases to upgrade your ship. There were different types of ships, faster/weaker and slower/stronger, different types of laser weapons. Missiles at some point too, I think.

There's a few possibilities here:

Starflight (or its sequel)
Star Control II (or possibly I, but II was a huge increase in complexity)

mclem

Platy said:
Arcade game ... probably dreamcast like graphics ... on rails .. and your weapon was a machine gun ... like .. the plastic thing you holded was a machine gun.
Time Crisis like cover option

It had a mall/park stage that the boss was an helicopter and an office stage wich .. i have no idea wich was the boss ... too hard for my old reflexes =P

Oh .. and the scenery was full of things to blow up ... wich is why i loved this game xD

Crisis Zone?

Platy

mclem said:
Crisis Zone?

Exactly !
Easy one xD

and ... i was looking at the youtube videos ... " i remember it being prettier ..." than i saw "oh it was the ps2 version ! that explains!" and then i went to the wikipedia article ... and ...

"A PlayStation 2 (PS2) port of the game was released in 2004 in the UK and the US with smoother polygon textures, higher difficulty"

oh

nilam01

Banned
There was this game on a sega console (don't remember which one) which I played when I was 10-11 where there was this kid that beat bosses by playing rock paper scissors...

nilam01 said:
There was this game on a sega console (don't remember which one) which I played when I was 10-11 where there was this kid that beat bosses by playing rock paper scissors...

Sounds like Alex Kid. You probably are thinking of the fifth game in series, Alex Kid and Enchanted Castle for the Genesis.

nilam01

Banned
GrumpyAlien said:
Sounds like Alex Kid. You probably are thinking of the fifth game in series, Alex Kid and Enchanted Castle for the Genesis.

Wow thanks, been wondering about that one for a long time

Hyunkel6

nilam01 said:
Whoa, this brings back memories. I loved that game.

mclem

GrumpyAlien said:

More likely to be Alex Kidd in Miracle World on the Master System, surely? Given it's a pack-in, it was always the more well-known title around my circle of friends at the time, at least.

Amory

What was the name of that ridiculous shooter for the ps2, where osama bin laden is the final boss? It had terrible graphics, too, iirc.

mclem

Amory Blaine said:
What was the name of that ridiculous shooter for the ps2, where osama bin laden is the final boss? It had terrible graphics, too, iirc.

Fugitive Hunter: War on Terror?

rareside

Probably already mentioned in this thread, but I can't think of the name so not a whole lotta help:

This game came out around 2002 for PC. The idea was that it was a real life mystery game where you got messages in your e-mail and IM, phone calls, etc.. Had you scouring the web for clues.. Seemed a little bit like the Micheal Douglas movie "The Game."

I'm sure someone remembers better than me.

Gomu Gomu

rareside said:
Probably already mentioned in this thread, but I can't think of the name so not a whole lotta help:

This game came out around 2002 for PC. The idea was that it was a real life mystery game where you got messages in your e-mail and IM, phone calls, etc.. Had you scouring the web for clues.. Seemed a little bit like the Micheal Douglas movie "The Game."

I'm sure someone remembers better than me.
Majestic_logo.jpg
?

I'm trying to remember of the name of an adventure game that I played as a kid, I remember the cover had some sort of red dragon on it in a cartoony style, it was the type of game where one would click to make a decision and it would go into an animated movie. It definitely wasn't Dragon's Lair.

I remember it involved collecting various golden or sacred items. like a magic egg and I think an hourglass and sword as well.
It was definitely made in the 90s. I think probably pre-1997, what was weird was they actually handed them out AT MY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, this wasn't a educational game or anything, in fact, in retrospect some of the deaths weren't exactly clean.

EDIT: It was SHADOAN.

The first game is a game that goes to either ps2 or Ps1 and you played as a girl and a guy. I think they were stuck in a dream or something. I remember that one could use a boomerang and i remember that there was a graveyard place at the beginning :lol

The second game is a game that was on the NES. It was a RTS in the likeness of Pikmin and the game was just about gathering gold and buying as many men as you could. You battled against monsters if I remember correctly but I dont think I finished it.

Peff

That Singer Guy... said:
The first game is a game that goes to either ps2 or Ps1 and you played as a girl and a guy. I think they were stuck in a dream or something. I remember that one could use a boomerang and i remember that there was a graveyard place at the beginning :lol

40 Winks. No idea about the other :(

derFeef

Allright, this is going to be a tricky one to describe as I just played the demo and I am not sure about everything I remember.

It was a strategy game, iso view. not sure if it was realtime or turn based tough. Strong fantasy vibe with elements like lightning, thunder and fire etc. You build "discs" which then attacked the enemy buildings in a certain radius around it. I also think there were just buildings and no real units. Could be mistaken tough.

on PC that was, early 90´s maybe.

Thx!

mclem

derFeef said:
Allright, this is going to be a tricky one to describe as I just played the demo and I am not sure about everything I remember.

It was a strategy game, iso view. not sure if it was realtime or turn based tough. Strong fantasy vibe with elements like lightning, thunder and fire etc. You build "discs" which then attacked the enemy buildings in a certain radius around it. I also think there were just buildings and no real units. Could be mistaken tough.

on PC that was, early 90´s maybe.

Thx!

Well, the good news is that I think that I know it. The bad news is that I can't remember the name either.

I'll do some searching, see if I can find anything that jogs my memory.

Edit: The game I had in mind is Netstorm. Could that be it?

I remember playing a game in a video game store on Dreamcast.
You were like a sorcerer or a magician, the level was like a mountain, covered of grass or plants or green stuff and I remember using different kind of magics on ennemies and kicking their asses with my rod.

mclem

Akihabara said:
I remember playing a game in a video game store on Dreamcast.
You were like a sorcerer or a magician, the level was like a mountain, covered of grass or plants or green stuff and I remember using different kind of magics on ennemies and kicking their asses with my rod.

It *might* be Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm, based on the highly scientific deduction method of "You could be a wizard in it".

mclem said:
It *might* be Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm, based on the highly scientific deduction method of "You could be a wizard in it".
This game was called Dragon's Blood in Europe and reading an FAQ the first level does appear to be a mountain.

Top Bottom