• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Pankaks said:
Ok GAF. I used to play this Jurassic Park game on my Windows 98 PC. It was in the top down view and you could get dinosaur eggs and use them to fight for you. That's about all I can remember.

Anyone?
I had that. I think it was Jurassic Park: Chaos Island

59u2w4.png

2e0slsl.jpg

derFeef

Oh yeah help me to name this game:

I believe it was a Microsoft game. You were some kind of soldier and you got a jetpack. there was lots of platforming with gorges and so on. A desert setting and the goal was to kill big ugly bitmap bugs. There were flying ones and some were firing/spitting from a long range.

I think this should be 10 years old now. I had so much fun playing it, wish I could play it now.

what was this nes game i played that let you have three save slots and battle a huge snake boss with yo yos and/or a bat? i remember escaping a alien ship and i also remember being stuck at this part where you went into a ghost cave or something to find this item for a crystal ball psychic lady.

Resilient

This is probably a massive, massive ask, but I really hope somebody remembers this :lol

It was this ancient game for an Acorn computer (not sure which Acorn computer), and it was centered around getting these crystals. It was a point and click adventure, with some text input (I think), and there were also segments where you would walk around, too. Like, there was one bit where you were in some building and crawling through it. There was a part where you had to give a snake a bag of food or something so you could continue with the game. There was a part where you got a really big wooden ship, ended up in some river area. There's a part where you're in this mountain area, crossing one of those rickety wooden bridges, and you had to fix the bridge from the side. It's all really vague cause I played it about 12 years ago, but I can't find it for the life of me. I think it was titled 'In search of Crystals' or something along those lines.

Again, it was for Acorn computers (at least, I played it on an Acorn, I remember that much). If anybody knows this game I would love you forever.

Maybe you can help me with this one

It was an arcade game, I used to play it around 1992 or 1993. A 2d 1vs1 beat'em up with monsters, i remember a minotaur (equipping an axe maybe) and an hydra. And fights happened in arenas where you could move in all directions.

Anyone knows?

bjork

oversensitive said:
what was this nes game i played that let you have three save slots and battle a huge snake boss with yo yos and/or a bat? i remember escaping a alien ship and i also remember being stuck at this part where you went into a ghost cave or something to find this item for a crystal ball psychic lady.

Startropics?

=GabrielKnight= said:
Maybe you can help me with this one

It was an arcade game, I used to play it around 1992 or 1993. A 2d 1vs1 beat'em up with monsters, i remember a minotaur (equipping an axe maybe) and an hydra. And fights happened in arenas where you could move in all directions.

Anyone knows?

http://hg101.kontek.net/kingofthemonsters/kingofthemonsters.htm

King of the Monsters?

Danneee

One game I have tried to get the name on for quite a while is an old (beginning-middle 90s) tank game, it is action oriented and the main thing I remember is that everything was made out of polygons, even the explosions which was quite unusual at the time (the look was akin to SEGA model 1 arcade games).
You control the tank from an first person perspective but I think you could change the view and you control the angle of the shots ut and down as well as controlling the tank.
Maybe a bit vague but after going through a lot of old game sites and still not finding it I put my hopes on fellow gaffers.
Oh, and the format was MSDOS(PC).
Somebody must have played it?

Celine

pix said:
Whats that game on N64 with the giant blue robot boss, where you have to dodge his attacks for 5 mins before he opens his shell and you can attack him? You play as this animal with big pointy ears and a tail.
What animal was it ?

Unagi

bluebird said:
This is probably a massive, massive ask, but I really hope somebody remembers this :lol

It was this ancient game for an Acorn computer (not sure which Acorn computer), and it was centered around getting these crystals. It was a point and click adventure, with some text input (I think), and there were also segments where you would walk around, too. Like, there was one bit where you were in some building and crawling through it. There was a part where you had to give a snake a bag of food or something so you could continue with the game. There was a part where you got a really big wooden ship, ended up in some river area. There's a part where you're in this mountain area, crossing one of those rickety wooden bridges, and you had to fix the bridge from the side. It's all really vague cause I played it about 12 years ago, but I can't find it for the life of me. I think it was titled 'In search of Crystals' or something along those lines.

Again, it was for Acorn computers (at least, I played it on an Acorn, I remember that much). If anybody knows this game I would love you forever.

I couldn't find much on the web about the original, but it could be "The crystal rainforest".

http://www.mrbillsadventureland.com/reviews/c-d/crystalrainR/crystalrainR.htm

georgc

derFeef said:
Oh yeah help me to name this game:

I believe it was a Microsoft game. You were some kind of soldier and you got a jetpack. there was lots of platforming with gorges and so on. A desert setting and the goal was to kill big ugly bitmap bugs. There were flying ones and some were firing/spitting from a long range.

I think this should be 10 years old now. I had so much fun playing it, wish I could play it now.
OMG I came in here to ask for the same game!!! I remember this underground cave level where the bugs would pop out of no where!! I had a blast playing this game also. Please help us!!

BeeDog

georgc said:
OMG I came in here to ask for the same game!!! I remember this underground cave level where the bugs would pop out of no where!! I had a blast playing this game also. Please help us!!

It is Outwars. :D Awesome game.

2vl8yzb.jpg

mclem

Danneee said:
One game I have tried to get the name on for quite a while is an old (beginning-middle 90s) tank game, it is action oriented and the main thing I remember is that everything was made out of polygons, even the explosions which was quite unusual at the time (the look was akin to SEGA model 1 arcade games).
You control the tank from an first person perspective but I think you could change the view and you control the angle of the shots ut and down as well as controlling the tank.
Maybe a bit vague but after going through a lot of old game sites and still not finding it I put my hopes on fellow gaffers.
Oh, and the format was MSDOS(PC).
Somebody must have played it?

Stellar 7 or its sequel, Nova 9?

seady

I remember playing that Thor game in Japanese with my Saturn. That game was so awesome. The atmosphere was great and like Zelda. I think there is also a Genesis version, wonder if that is any good.

Alright, this probably won't be answerable, but my game I can't name is an MS-DOS game. It's overhead, and pretty much all I can remember about it was that there was one guy/enemy/thing that would run back and forth in a formation of rocks. It was also very green.

I'll be surprised if anyone can name it based on that

A Link to the Snitch said:
Alright, this probably won't be answerable, but my game I can't name is an MS-DOS game. It's overhead, and pretty much all I can remember about it was that there was one guy/enemy/thing that would run back and forth in a formation of rocks. It was also very green.

You'll be surprised. I can't help ya though :lol

mclem

seady said:
I remember playing that Thor game in Japanese with my Saturn. That game was so awesome. The atmosphere was great and like Zelda. I think there is also a Genesis version, wonder if that is any good.

If you mean the God Of Thunder game mentioned a little while ago, no; while GoT is indeed a little bit like Zelda, it's not directly related to Story of Thor on the Genesis or Saturn.

Teppic

A Link to the Snitch said:

Is this also God of Thunder? :)

FoggyFreek

I searched EVERYWHERE but i just can't find it.. i'm back to the DOS days thanks to DosBox and i'm eager to try this one again..

- I remember it being called reflex! but i can't find any reference on the internet
- nibbles-like game
- top down
- bright colors
- you can eat the good guys and eat powerups that will make you more powerful
- you can't travel the path you just traveled
- super frenszic!

should be around 1986 - 1990

help me!

woodypop said:
Man, totally forgot about that game. Played that a bit in the arcade in the early 90s.

It's oddly addictive.. there's a SFC port that is godawful, and an X68k port that is pretty decent but has a ton of disks *lol*

I just remember playing it at a local grocery store, which seemed to be the place for obscure arcade games, just like my local Circle K having things like Solar Warrior/Xain D'Sleena...

I have a few arcade games to ask about.
This one is only a couple of years old, but it was a sniper game, with full-sized gun controller. What was cool about it was there was a little screen in the scope, which featured a close-up view of where you were aiming.

This one is probably going to more obscure, and I'm not sure how old it is. The game showed 2D animated scenes of gorillas and moles doing various things, as they crawled around the screen. You had about 9 or so buttons with corresponded with a section of the screen, and you hit the button to knock off the gorillas/moles.

This one was my favorite pinball game of all time. It used a video screen with sensors that affected a section of the screen when hit. Aliens land on earth and you had to fight them off with the pinball. The final battle of the game was a fight between the Lincoln Memorial and an alien robot.

FoggyFreek said:
I searched EVERYWHERE but i just can't find it.. i'm back to the DOS days thanks to DosBox and i'm eager to try this one again..

- I remember it being called reflex! but i can't find any reference on the internet
- nibbles-like game
- top down
- bright colors
- you can eat the good guys and eat powerups that will make you more powerful
- you can't travel the path you just traveled
- super frenszic!

should be around 1986 - 1990

help me!

I don't know there must be hundreds of the things

Was it Flatworm 2?

http://www.dosmuseum.com/pages/view...rder_by=field8&sort=ASC&offset=0&archive=0&k=

Lionel Mandrake said:
I have a few arcade games to ask about.
This one is only a couple of years old, but it was a sniper game, with full-sized gun controller. What was cool about it was there was a little screen in the scope, which featured a close-up view of where you were aiming.

That one's easy, Silent Scope.

Edit: And Monkey Mole Panic for the second one.

mclem

Lionel Mandrake said:
This one was my favorite pinball game of all time. It used a video screen with sensors that affected a section of the screen when hit. Aliens land on earth and you had to fight them off with the pinball. The final battle of the game was a fight between the Lincoln Memorial and an alien robot.

That'll be one of the Pinball 2000 titles, Revenge From Mars:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenge_From_Mars

derFeef

I have another request.
The game was like Flashback, same view and so on. You landed with a parachute and your first encounter was a T-Rex, but needed to bypass him. I only played the demo back then on Windows 98 I think. Not much, but maybe someone knows what I mean. Thanks!

mclem

I'll search a bit. I can picture it, I know because I kept confusing it with Flight of the Amazon Queen (which is completely different), but I can't place the name right now.

Although 'Bermuda Syndrome' has just popped into my head. I'll go look that one up...

Yep, that's the one I'm thinking of. Is it the one you're thinking of?

derFeef

mclem said:
I'll search a bit. I can picture it, I know because I kept confusing it with Flight of the Amazon Queen (which is completely different), but I can't place the name right now.

Although 'Bermuda Syndrome' has just popped into my head. I'll go look that one up...

Yep, that's the one I'm thinking of. Is it the one you're thinking of?

Thank you very much, thats it!

bs2.png

need to find that game now somehow.

Danneee

mclem said:
Stellar 7 or its sequel, Nova 9?

Nope, it wasn't sci fi (not very pronounced sci fi) and took place on earth. At least the demo took place in a city on what I recall was earth.
I think it was flatshaded polygons, no textures at all. Maybe gourad, it had a kind of distinct style to it.

mclem

It couldn't be Battle Command, could it? The less well-known sequel to Carrier Command? I'm not overly familiar with it, but it's from about the right era and I *think* it was more tank-focussed.

Danneee

mclem said:
It couldn't be Battle Command, could it? The less well-known sequel to Carrier Command? I'm not overly familiar with it, but it's from about the right era and I *think* it was more tank-focussed.

Nope, it was pretty action oriented. The thing that strikes me the most is that even though it wasn't textured it had a lot (for the time) of polygons, with trees, walls, buildings and so on so it looked pretty good.
Maybe it was released later, around -95.
Oh, and you could aim up and down to lob shells over obstacles. It had some kind of rudimentary physics for that.

derFeef

Danneee said:
Nope, it was pretty action oriented. The thing that strikes me the most is that even though it wasn't textured it had a lot (for the time) of polygons, with trees, walls, buildings and so on so it looked pretty good.
Maybe it was released later, around -95.
Oh, and you could aim up and down to lob shells over obstacles. It had some kind of rudimentary physics for that.
M1 Tank Platoon ?!

Made a thread about this, posted here trough recommendation:

My girlfriend used to play this game some years ago, but doesn't remember it's name. It sounds like crap BUT I'm in a quest to find what game is it!

So this is what she can remember about the game, so far:

- the units are made of clay

- they enter the scenario as if they came from a whirlwind

- lots of scenarios, and your task was always the same: find the exit of it

- you had opponents that would try to kill you and you also had the option to catch some toys to give them. This way, they would be distracted for a couple seconds or minutes and you would be able to pass without being noticed by them

- sometimes you definitely had to fight and you had the option to use some objects as weapons. When any of your guys or one of the oponent's got killed, some liquid would appear on the floor. you could "catch" it with a straw, save it and use it to create more guys for your team.

evala

Banned
Hello, and thanks for the help in advance :).

The game i remember playing around 10 to 15 years ago on a friends PC and it had in it:

- the main theme of the game was time travel
- the main character was a male and pass through different levels (wild west level, egypt level, future level, last level was in the moon (not so sure about that but it was in the future too and had some platforms in the air))
- there were different weapons for the character in every world (level)
- it was in 3D and it was a third person game perspective

and that is pretty much all i remember about the game, if anybody do know the name of the game it would be GREAT!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Starwolf_UK said:
Ah yes, after some thought I finally worked out the name was Hebereke's Popoitto (Popoitto Hebereke in Japan) and it actually received a European release of sorts.

I know I'm late, but thank you! This topic is delightful and you are all splendid chaps and chapettes.

LordAlu

ChackanKun said:
Made a thread about this, posted here trough recommendation:

My girlfriend used to play this game some years ago, but doesn't remember it's name. It sounds like crap BUT I'm in a quest to find what game is it!

So this is what she can remember about the game, so far:

- the units are made of clay

- they enter the scenario as if they came from a whirlwind

- lots of scenarios, and your task was always the same: find the exit of it

- you had opponents that would try to kill you and you also had the option to catch some toys to give them. This way, they would be distracted for a couple seconds or minutes and you would be able to pass without being noticed by them

- sometimes you definitely had to fight and you had the option to use some objects as weapons. When any of your guys or one of the oponent's got killed, some liquid would appear on the floor. you could "catch" it with a straw, save it and use it to create more guys for your team.

It's not Gruntz is it?

Whogie

Oh! I have a game like this. It was for the PS1, and it played just like Out Of This World, and it was 2 discs. I can't remember any more than that though.

Edit: IIRC, you played as a little boy, and the art was hand-drawn 2D.

LordAlu

evala said:
Hello, and thanks for the help in advance :).

The game i remember playing around 10 to 15 years ago on a friends PC and it had in it:

- the main theme of the game was time travel
- the main character was a male and pass through different levels (wild west level, egypt level, future level, last level was in the moon (not so sure about that but it was in the future too and had some platforms in the air))
- there were different weapons for the character in every world (level)
- it was in 3D and it was a third person game perspective

and that is pretty much all i remember about the game, if anybody do know the name of the game it would be GREAT!

Time Commando?

Top Bottom