• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wollan

For the new page, resized/rehosted:

PS3_Slim_1.jpg

PS3_Slim_2r.jpg

PS3_Slim_3.jpg

PS3_Slim_4.jpg

PS3_Slim_5.jpg

The slots here fit perfectly with the I/O output of the latest motherboards:

PS3_Slim_6.jpg

Other:

Original 60GB PS3 Motherboard, 180watt versus current 80GB, 110watt (which has 65nm CPU/GPU):

60vs80.jpg

The standard workstations (as pointed out by Sin):

pink_workstation.jpg

Thanks to west and iceatcs for angling the image correctly, the system is almost quadratic:

PS3_Slim_7r.jpg

Goldrusher has done a good job trying to fit the various pieces:

PS3_Slim_Concept.jpg

So:

1. Convincing, professional chassis mold
2. Logo changed from PLAYSTATION 3 to PS3 which is logical, not proof for/against though
3. Packaging image is not shopped (though the pack itself might be custom made)
4. IBM have had the 45nm Cell in production (since mid 2008 I believe?), we all know the story about the general downsizing of PS3 components and lower power needs
5. Pink/green work stations! (same as background)
6. Sony shipped 10m PS3's in fiscal year 07 and 08 each, they are now saying 13m for 09.
7. Maintek Computer located in Suzhou, China, manufactures PS3s. They brought down the thread (Chinese) that was hosting these images with cease and desist.
8. Identical box art and font to the newly revealed PSP GO.

PSPGo.jpg

Don't expect this one at E3, not impossible but unlikely. Late summer/early fall.

Wollan said:
So:

1. Convincing, professional chassis mold
2. Logo changed from PLAYSTATION 3 to PS3 which is logical, not proof for/against though
3. Packaging image is not shopped (though the pack itself might be custom made)
4. IBM have had the 45nm Cell in production (since mid 2008 I believe?), we all know the story about the general downsizing of PS3 components and lower power needs
5. Pink/green work stations! (same as background)
6. Sony shipped 10m PS3's in fiscal year 07 and 08 each, they are now saying 13m for 09.
How does this pic fit into all of that? Is it the same machine?
2vuy843.jpg

Cruzader

Banned
Oni Jazar said:
doh! Well that's good because I can't see a PS3 without blu-ray. If that's the case then I'm going to lean towards BS. Why would the box only promote PSN?
Its not "just" promoting PSN. But PSN is a big deal to Sony and why not let the consumers that its FREE? I think the PSN thing on the side basically highlights what things you can do on PSN for Free such as Home/PSN store/Video Store/Free Online Gaming(etc). Those small pictures might be what I just said.

hirokazu

fanboi said:
Yes, if they reveal a Slim, only then is the bet on, and it should happened before Cologne.
Personally, I think the odds are against me with these rules. But hey, whatever man, let's all have a bit of fun. :p

Cruzader

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
I missed this. This further corroborates said story. But do you mean September launch, or September announcement?

Maybe they will do another Enos? :)

Is Tokyo Game Show on september? They could announce/release it thur.

Crisis

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I don't think that's as big a deal to the gaming public as price or BC.

I agree with you. If this thing clocks in with a 120GB hard drive that's more than most consumers will ever need.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Cruzader said:
Is Tokyo Game Show on september? They could announce/release it thur.

No, it's late this year, Mid-late October iirc. I think they'll announce it at E3, and it'd be ready in September. The PSP 2K was announced in July and released in September, as was the 3k. And with this, it'd be June-Sept, so it's even more feasible. Whatever it is, it's shaping up to be an epic E3.

Zhuk

Banned
If you have something as big as a PS3 slim coming it's gotta be E3 or nothing I think, makes no sense to delegate it to another conference if they are already in production.

hirokazu

Tiago Leite said:
2uyhlyt.jpg

Photoshop skillz. It matches...
Even if it matches, the current motherboard requires a case longer than it is wide, which is contradictory to the images. Unless they redesign the motherboard, which invalidates a need for it to match since they could reposition stuff with a redesign.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
$h@d0w said:
You know what, this sounds - YEAR DEFINING.
It certainly is heading that way BUT Sony needs to do more to swing momentum. Like I said earlier, if the new PSP has something like touchscreen functionality and that can be implemented into the operation of the PS3, then I think we will be seeing a lot of talk of year defining.

I know it won't happen, but imagine if Apple wasn't making their own console but is starting a partnership with Sony that will allow iTunes and other Apple programs to work on a PS3. At the very least, imagine if Sony comes up with music/game distribution on the PS3 using a software package similar to iTunes with the new PSP being an input device and portable music/game player that can access games via the PS3's HDD. One other thought would be if the new PS3 can read UMDs, then you could archive any old games on its HDD and upload them to the new PSP.

kittel

yeah it just might happen that GI's two year-defining announcements are both from Sony (unless Ms waggle is true...)

FWIW, this year at CES there was a PS3 motherboard shown off that was apparently even smaller than the one in the 65nm units. To be expected since the motherboard was likely showing off the further silicon reduction that will be inevitable in the 45nm unit which should only be a few months away.

kittel

hirokazu said:
Even if it matches, the current motherboard requires a case longer than it is wide, which is contradictory to the images. Unless they redesign the motherboard, which invalidates a need for it to match since they could reposition stuff with a redesign.

There's no doubt that a PS3 slim release would mean a motherboard redesign.

hirokazu

kittel said:
yeah it just might happen that GI's two year-defining announcements are both from Sony (unless Ms waggle is true...)
This thing doesn't exactly look year defining - but a major price drop coupled with some other sort of magic might be.

Yes Boss!

LiK said:
is a Slim PS3 is announced at E3, it'll be my first correct E3 prediction :)

I'm going with that too...screw a Germany announcement. That is too far away. New fiscal year just began and Holiday rollout will be too late for them. Looks like I'll be buying another PS3 sooner rather than later!

It's starting to look more plausible, but I don't think it would be the wisest move to make right now unless these new models are significantly cheaper to manufacture and they completely discontinue the current models.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
_leech_ said:
It's starting to look more plausible, but I don't think it would be the wisest move to make right now unless these new models are significantly cheaper to manufacture and they completely discontinue the current models.

It's definitely the right move and my guess is that this is real as fuck.

LiK

_leech_ said:

more SKUs! :O

From the size of the hole, there will be a external power brick... the size is too small to acomodate the switch and that kind of power-plug.
Sorry my bad english.

Burai

shitonmychest57
_leech_ said:
And the system would lose one of it's main advantages.

I really shake my head when people talk about the advantages of the PS3 when the "advantages" are the things keeping the price up which is ultimately killing the system at retail.

Sony are losing customers to competitors who don't have these "advantages" so the only answer is that people don't want to pay for them up front and will happily either live without them or buy them separately.

kittel

Tiago Leite said:
http://i39.tinypic.com/2dlutf7.jpg

Naaa....

Totally plausible, even without the rocker switch hole. What Tiago was showing is a match for the possible ports that the PS3 redesign will have. I'm thinking that there might be a few smaller plastic parts to the case that we haven't been shown yet, like the HDD door.

Typically companies order a test run of their products for testing before mass production, but according to the Chinese gaming site's thread (now deleted), it's in mass production already.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
A silm redesign, price drop and GT5 would be sweeet if announced.

dreamer3kx said:
a bit late, so this is real?

Sin says September, so maybe this is true. He has been right before.

Whoa

Final Fantasy XIII bundled with the slim PS3, oh SNAPZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom