• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Those pics would be very good fakes, too much work IMO. This looks real IMO. The question is what will the price be for the new model and what will the price be for the current 80GB? I'm hoping for a $299 PS3 this year to go along with the great lineup, so far MS and Nin have awful 2009 software.

kittel

alterno69 said:
This would be an awesome move by SONY, when they launched the PSOne and PSTwo i had already moved onto another system so i didn't care but this time i'd be VERY tempted to get one seeing how PS3 hasn't hit it's stride yet.

Seriously. I need a PS3 next month and this cannot come out soon enough. Please Japan, have multiple colors!

Wollan

More production leaks

PS_slim_production_lolzomg.jpg

spwolf

DenogginizerOS said:
I hate to say it but I think this almost assuredly will keep the price at $400. I am guessing they will sell the old models that are on the market off at a reduced price and will emphasize that this new model has a 120GB HDD, all the features of the PS3 60GB (including PS2 BC), and new connectivity options to the new PSP (a hunch), thus rationalizing the price staying the same. This again follows the trend with Apple and their new product releases and will also keep the Sony books a little further away from financial collapse.

it would be my first thought too, but if you look at their prediction for sales - no way they will double their PS3 sales on $400 price point during recession in the world.

With PS3 sales being down everywhere due to price this year, i would think that to reach 13 million sales, up from 10, they will at least need to double or even tripple Q3/Q4 2008 sales to reach that goal.

Which means significant price reduction.

alterno69 said:
This would be an awesome move by SONY, when they launched the PSOne and PSTwo i had already moved onto another system so i didn't care but this time i'd be VERY tempted to get one seeing how PS3 hasn't hit it's stride yet.
:lol :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AndyD said:
Can we estimate siza based on the size of the DS3 next to it?

A half as thick, two thirds as wide and just as deep machine would be rouhgly laptop sized and quite a nice reduction.

I guesstimated based on other pics, 275mm (W) x 235mm (D). I might check that again against this one.

We've little indication of height, except for the height of the base, which at the back appears to be ~30mm. So the total height could perhaps be 30-40% smaller (e.g. 60-70mm from the current 100mm) if we take it to be double the height of the base. That is much more of a guess than the width and depth estimates though!

Rolf NB

AndyD said:
Can we estimate siza based on the size of the DS3 next to it?

A half as thick, two thirds as wide and just as deep machine would be rouhgly laptop sized and quite a nice reduction.
The image of the DS3 may not be to scale. We can go by the width of the disc slot though. Using 12cm for the disc diameter, I got 26cm width, 22.5cm depth. We could probably figure out the height too, under some mild assumptions.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Holy shit serious? Read something about it last night, but brushed it off cause I didn't think it would be real. Now there's a good possibility?
What would be the chances of them announcing it @ E3?

AndyD

aka andydumi
What do you guys think we will get extra if anything?

I think other USB ports in back, infrared port. No easily swapable drive (120 is plenty big for vast majority). Also updated HDMI chip with HDMI-CEC and ability to bitstream new codecs and not just LPCM them. Maybe wireless N, not just G.

alterno69

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
:lol :lol

What? I've been a happy PS3 owner for 2+ years and i still think the best is yet to come

God of War III
GT5
FF XXIII
Trico
Uncharted 2
and more

As good as the PS3 library is IMO the best is yet to come :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
My final guess based on the 'reangled' pic..

The DS3 in the pic is 52mm wide across the d-pad and face buttons (on my screen).

A real DS3 is 135mm wide.

So that means 'real' proportions are ~2.6x the proportions in the picture.

Width of the PS3 in the pic: 101mm x ~2.6 = ~262mm

Depth of the PS3 in the pic: 85mm x ~2.6 = ~221mm

These numbers should be fairly accurate IF the controller is to scale in the pic and IF the Photoshop reangling hasn't f-ed up the proportions too much.

Those numbers would also make it a bit smaller than I initially guessed based on the other pics. Updated comparison:

4h7h4o.jpg

Also note that this width and depth maintain the original's width:depth ratio almost perfectly.

Although this is probably fake, I'd love for it to be true. I've been wanting a Blu-Ray player for the bedroom, and would gladly pick up a slimline PS3 if the price was right.

Hasn't Sin already confirmed this to be released in September? That's bulletproof evidence for me.

What? I've been a happy PS3 owner for 2+ years and i still think the best is yet to come

God of War III
GT5
FF XXIII
Trico
Uncharted 2
and more

As good as the PS3 library is IMO the best is yet to come

Did you consider NPD?

alterno69 said:

God of War III
GT5
FF XXIII
Trico
Uncharted 2
and more

dude, you're posting in neogaf. you should know better. they're experts. they know better than you. your opinions aren't valid.
who said you could have an entirely different opinion on a console than theirs? you're crazy dude.
lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hehe..this could end up being very similar to the PS2 in size, but differently proportioned.

It's area will probably be slightly bigger, but its volume overall smaller, I think. If its height is only 6cm (big guess), it'll be 80% of the volume of the original PS2. The only dimension it would be bigger on would be depth, all the others would be smaller.

So on that size comparison chart it ought to slot in just ahead of the PS2 and behind the GCN/Wii/PStwo.

/prediction

Tideas

Banned
i think it's kinda cute and funny you guys are trying to decipher all this when you should all just w3it and s33

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
bcn-ron said:
The image of the DS3 may not be to scale. We can go by the width of the disc slot though. Using 12cm for the disc diameter, I got 26cm width, 22.5cm depth. We could probably figure out the height too, under some mild assumptions.

Well that works out neatly with my calcs based on the DS3 in the pic. So it would appear to be to scale.

Also, GameDaily got this out of SCEA:

When contacted about the photos, a Sony rep responded, "We don't discuss rumors or speculations. Thanks for asking."

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/rumor-ps3-slim-first-look/?biz=1

I hope its real, same design cues as the PSTwo but I already own a launch 60GB so I wouldn't be interested in it. I think a price drop is upcoming since many retailers are bundling games with the PS3 at regular price.

Don't think Sony would announce a new PSP and PS3 at E3, it would take away too much focus from their upcoming games.

LiK

Yes Boss! said:
No kidding, I've got a glossy and a matte PS3 and the matted is a fuck-ton better looking...should have been standard.

indeed, glossy = fingerprint and dust madness.

J-Rzez

alterno69 said:

God of War III
GT5
FF XXIII
Trico
Uncharted 2
and more

Don't waste your time on simpleton trolls. It was probably confused thinking you meant that the PS3 will rocket past the sales of the Wii. They know not of these "games" you could be speaking about, since they don't have any as indicated by the B.C. begging style in every PS360PC game thread "Wii plz sir, may I have a port, maybe, a spin off"?

BTW - You forgot MAG in your list :p

Anyways, of course there's going to be a slim PS3, Sony is usually top notch with these things, very apple like I guess you can say. But, that PS3 slim is fucking fugly as fuck. If that's the real deal, I'm shocked they OK'd it. The PS3 went from looking up there with the most elegant looking home entertainment pieces, to well, a game console. Oh well, maybe I'd need to see it in person, and perhaps they'd throw in some fancy colors.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I dunno. That amateur logo and crappy packaging, along with the dull matte color makes it look like fake. But then again, if it's fake, what the hell is it really - nobody would take that much time to faking. Chinese knock-off - PolyStation 3?

Yes Boss!

LiK said:
huh? i see fingerprints everytime i play my launch PSP

PSP 2K and 3K as well since they are just as glossy...and cheaper feeling. Plus, on the glossy PS3 no matter how careful you are cleaning it after a few years of use it starts to look beat up from all the minor scratches.

J-Rzez

LiK said:
huh? i see fingerprints everytime i play my launch PSP

Handheld vs. Console. Or do you put your PS3 in your lap while you play :p ? I don't mind the glossy finish, even on the PSP. I think it looked elegant. And the fingerprints were not a problem at all. Throw on a nice coat of polish, and occasionally wipe it with a nice microfiber cloth with a quality automotive "quick detailer", looks fabulous.

LiK

J-Rzez said:
Handheld vs. Console. Or do you put your PS3 in your lap while you play :p ? I don't mind the glossy finish, even on the PSP. I think it looked elegant. And the fingerprints were not a problem at all. Throw on a nice coat of polish, and occasionally wipe it with a nice microfiber cloth with a quality automotive "quick detailer", looks fabulous.

my comment was about glossy plastic in general. the PS3 aint the only electronics to use it ;)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Chittagong said:
I dunno. That amateur logo and crappy packaging, along with the dull matte color makes it look like fake. But then again, if it's fake, what the hell is it really - nobody would take that much time to faking. Chinese knock-off - PolyStation 3?

If it's fake, it's set a new bar for fakes.. :)

The incidental details (e.g. of the environment they'd be manufactured in) are spot on. The dimensions seem plausible (e.g. not an over-eager as in previous fakes that featured tiny boxes). And of course, it would be some trouble to go to to actually mock up and manufacture these shells and the cardboard box. The disappearance of the original thread soon after the 'news' started circulating to japanese and western sites was also..suspicious.

Poring over these photos I don't think anyone's found a giveaway yet..and usually with fakes there is something.

Of course, it could be a fake..but like I say, if it is, it sets a new standard.

DMeisterJ

Banned
gofreak said:
If it's fake, it's set a new bar for fakes.. :)

The incidental details (e.g. of the environment they'd be manufactured in) are spot on. The dimensions seem plausible (e.g. not an over-eager as in previous fakes that featured tiny boxes). And of course, it would be some trouble to go to to actually mock up and manufacture these shells and the cardboard box. The disappearance of the original thread soon after the 'news' started circulating to japanese and western sites was also..suspicious.

Poring over these photos I don't think anyone's found a giveaway yet..and usually with fakes there is something.

Of course, it could be a fake..but like I say, if it is, it sets a new standard.

And Sin's response to this thread.

If you know Sin, he's correct.

Scooter said:
I was thinking if I should reply to this stupid Nintendo fanboy but in the end he got to me.

GTFO.
I'm not being a Nintendo fanboy. Sony's 10 year cycle has been and will continue to be derailed. There's absolute chaos on the hardware markets right now, don't expect the current systems to be around as long as they're telling you.

LiK

AranhaHunter said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/iceatcs/Games/PS3_Slim_CTU_Flatup.jpg

Why would it be 120GB? That makes no sense, 160GB would make sense for a core model and 320GB for a Premium SKU[/QUOTE]

dont worry, they'll probably push out multiple HDD sizes for each SKU

Vinci

Danish
AranhaHunter said:
Why would it be 120GB? That makes no sense, 160GB would make sense for a core model and 320GB for a Premium SKU

Maybe they're wisely - dear lord, hopefully - going to release the Slim in a single SKU. I know, crazy talk. Fucking SKUs are ridiculous anyway, particularly if they're able to get the price down on this iteration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom