• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it's real (or a real elaborate hoax).

Sony needs to cut the costs of the PS3 and with 45nm chips due this year, it's as good of a time as any. No way they can drop below 399 without reducing the amount of materials needed for the current unit.

Whether they cut the price depends on on how much they're losing on the system right now and how much they'd save with the slim. I imagine they're watching the value of the yen as well.

Goldrusher

I hope it's not real.
It looks ugly, cheap and "off".

Also, another logo / font ?

161i4ht.jpg

I don't know if anyone touched on this yet, but the logo is like a mish mash of the PS1 and PS2.

It's soft and round like the PS1 but in the P_|- 2 thing going on know what I mean.

I really like it. And it gets back the image of the glorious PS1 and 2, while ditching the Spiderman 3 nonsense.

@ 299 its as good as mine. BC or no BC.

and as you can tell, I think it's real. 100%.

DieH@rd

Banned
$h@d0w said:
The Cloud Black PS3 looks awesome:

f4_qjpreviewth.png

f5.png

f6.png

I'm imagining these PS3 slim moulds have the same finish.

After watching all those ps3 slim pics, this looks HUUUUGE! :D
Also i wouldnt call this new PSThree a slim, Its just a cost productive redesign. In 3-4 years we will se a true ps3 slim.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
$h@d0w said:
I'm imagining these PS3 slim moulds have the same finish.

I'm not sure if the finish will look quite so nice. It looks pretty much exactly the same as the PS2/PS2Slim finish which isn't quite as polished as this.

Rolf NB

AndyD said:
A 3.5 would be a little cheaper. But much bigger.
I don't think that's true anymore. It used to be that way five years ago, sure, but with the recent victory march of laptops, production volumes have already shifted significantly. Ultimately the smaller form factors are going to be cheaper in mass production simply due to less materials being used. Any price advantages of 3.5" drives come from bigger production volumes.

A quick glance at a price aggregator shows me current SATA HDDs start at retail for ~30€, with clearance models going at around 25€. The 3.5" drives have higher capacity, but the price of entry seems to be the same already.

Durante

This may very well be real. I wonder if Sony will "cheap out" on the components and materials a bit like they did with the PSP models post 1000. Actually, in the current situation it seems almost certain.

Regarding the HDDs 3.5" is impossible in terms of space in any case, but at the capacities Sony will be looking at it wouldn't surprise me if 2.5" HDDs would turn out cheaper in volume as well.

Durante said:
This may very well be real. I wonder if Sony will "cheap out" on the components and materials a bit like they did with the PSP models post 1000. Actually, in the current situation it seems almost certain.

Cheap out on what? Only things the later PSPs lacked were an IR port and that matte finish on the back. I'll concede that the plastic-like surface sucks ass, but the silver model 3000 has a nice finish.

HUELEN10

Durante said:

Regarding the HDDs 3.5" is impossible in terms of space in any case, but at the capacities Sony will be looking at it wouldn't surprise me if 2.5" HDDs would turn out cheaper in volume as well.
What do you mean "cheap out"?

billy.sea

Banned
I think it looks sexy.

I like the square shape and the thinness (with a little bit of curve) of it. I don't like how big of a curvature the current PS3 is.

Teddman

billy.sea said:
I like the square shape and the thinness (with a little bit of curve) of it. I don't like how big of a curvature the current PS3 is.
Exactly. You couldn't really stack components on top of the PS3, now you can. Big plus in my book.

Durante

HUELEN10 said:
There are tons of possibilities without affecting the functionality, some examples are materials, finish, build quality/tolerances, cooling system, heck, the quality of the capacitors used on the MB, and so on.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't blame them at all. The original PS3 is a wonderful piece of engineering, but sadly the vast majority of potential buyers is not prepared to pay extra for that (and most that are are probably early adopters).

Rolf NB

HUELEN10 said:
He means this time around they'll not use the expensive, high-quality, deep-mined premium plastics from South Africa, but the cheap and cheerful surface-mined hillbilly-grain plastics from southwest Australia.

The feathers won't be combed either.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The PS3's components are all really high quality..not talking specifically about the chips and the drive etc. but all the other bits and bobs that make up the system and hold it together. They didn't seem to spare much expense with that, in the original model anyway.

I'm sure they'll seek to economise the 'bits and bobs' used in this model as much as possible. They started very evidently with the case materials, which I'm sure are cheaper than the current models'.

So I think that's how they'll 'cheap out' and I think it makes sense to do that if it lets them do this and cut price. Looking 'cheap' could also strangely have a subtle but positive impact on the machine's perception, as something that is suitable as an 'affordable' family machine, something that's a little more 'ordinary', rather than a delicate, sexy, expensive machine (whose image might imply desireability, but not for everyone).

edit - lol, bcn-ron said it much better than me :D

jmd494

OMG ... if this is really the PS3 has truly gone from, in my opinion, the best looking console ever to the worst looking console since Xbox 1.

Teddman

gofreak said:
The PS3's components are all really high quality..not talking specifically about the chips and the drive etc. but all the other bits and bobs that make up the system and hold it together. They didn't seem to spare much expense with that, in the original model anyway.
Except for CHEAPO BLUE HARD DRIVE BAY SCREWS.

Hopefully this new model makes it easier to replace the HD without stripping the screws.

LiK

Teddman said:

Hopefully this new model makes it easier to replace the HD without stripping the screws.

indeed, if Sony allows us to swap HDDs, make the process easier or use better screws

spwolf

Durante said:

i dont quite understand - 2.5" would be cheaper in volume as well :).

as to the cheapness... it will certainly be a lot cheaper than original 60 GB PS3, however question is if it will be lower quality - which i doubt, as today's models have many initial issues solved.

Wallach

Justin Dailey said:
OMG ... if this is really the PS3 has truly gone from, in my opinion, the best looking console ever to the worst looking console since Xbox 1.

I guess I'm in the opposite camp. I love the build quality of the current PS3s but I'd get away from the current model in a heartbeat if it came with a redesigned shell.

Wollan

I must be missing the sarcasm. It looks like a differently proportioned (current) PS3.
If you like the current one surely you would like the other?

PS3_Slim_7.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Teddman said:

It could make it harder if it doesn't expose the bay :p Although we can't say for sure..and the opening at the front might be for that.

But I'm thinking there'll have to be some tradeoff with this. Even the slimming of the PS2 saw some tradeoffs.

Wollan said:
I must be missing the sarcasm. It looks like a differently proportioned (current) PS3.

The ratios of the proportions haven't actually even changed based on our updated guesstimates. The original PS3 was already fairly 'square-ish', it may just become more evident when you slim it down. The width:depth ratio has been preserved if that pic is acccurate.

I'm thinking/hoping we're missing the most substantial change, to its height (which might be up to a 30-40% reduction IMO)..and I think that'll help make it look quite nice when standing..slimness would definitely suit the ps3, when looking at an angle to slim it, the current ps3 looks very sleek. So an actually slim one should look quite nice.

gofreak said:
It could make it harder if it doesn't expose the bay :p Although we can't say for sure..and the opening at the front might be for that.

But I'm thinking there'll have to be some tradeoff with this. Even the slimming of the PS2 saw some tradeoffs.

No hard drive add-on, um...

What else did slim PS2 have as a trade-off? I know the first slim line needed an external power brick, and no dial-up port, but that's it.

Yazus

If they make it 299$ at launch, relasing Fall '09 in Japan with FFXIII, and have better Blue Ray driver, better hardware choice etc etc, I will buy this regardless the uglyness

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
No hard drive add-on, um...

What else did slim PS2 have as a trade-off? I know the first slim line needed an external power brick, and no dial-up port, but that's it.

I think they dropped a IR port too.

Small tradeoffs but tradeoffs nonetheless. I don't think Sony would arbitrarily trade things off for the sake of it in a new PS3 model, but something like making the HDD non-upgradeable would be similarly 'small' (for most people) and could be a possibility depending on how the innards have been shuffled. I've no reason for thinking this will be the case though, just idle speculation..

Wallach

Wollan said:

It's hard to say without being able to see a finished model, especially sitting next to the current one for direct comparison.

I mean, the PS2 slim was a pretty similar shape to the original PS2, but visually they are worlds apart. I don't think this PS3 redesign will have quite that same impact because it doesn't look like they will be able to shrink the internals that far, but I'd wager that a lot of people would be swayed by the new look of the console even if the overall design wasn't that different.

Kai Ozu

What is ugly about it? I don't understand, it looks like a trimmed down version, with a nice little backlight on the ps.

Yes Boss!

alr1ghtstart said:
This with onboard flash 16GB is what I think. The HDD takes up a good amount of space. Although, maybe not if they're looking to expand it more into a downloadable PSN moviebox.

Woah, that would be crazy...like a bigger problem than the Wii Fridge situation given all the mandatory installs and large file sizes. No way they are going to go that route.

gofreak said:
I think they dropped a IR port too.

Small tradeoffs but tradeoffs nonetheless. I don't think Sony would arbitrarily trade things off for the sake of it in a new PS3 model, but something like making the HDD non-upgradeable would be similarly 'small' (for most people) and could be a possibility depending on how the innards have been shuffled. I've no reason for thinking this will be the case though, just idle speculation..

They've kept the IR Port on all the PS2s since, iirc.

I would accept a non-upgradeable hard drive
if it was a Solid-State one

Goldrusher

Wollan said:
There's no sarcasm. It looks horrible.

- cheap plastic
- kiddy logo
- weird proportions
- the curved disc drive section

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
AndyD said:
Can we estimate siza based on the size of the DS3 next to it?

A half as thick, two thirds as wide and just as deep machine would be rouhgly laptop sized and quite a nice reduction.

yup

PS3_Slim_7.jpg

3531103077_f1260d70b1.jpg

DS3 width match the bu-ray slot in both ,so yeah I guess it's PS3 slim real size based on DS3 , damn that mini PS3 bastard .

gcubed

Yes Boss! said:
Woah, that would be crazy...like a bigger problem than the Wii Fridge situation given all the mandatory installs and large file sizes. No way they are going to go that route.

considering the box says 120GB on it, it'd be hard to believe the other poster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom