• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoogPaul

Okay, serious question. What would be the advantage of a smaller console besides smaller chips and a physically smaller system? Back in the day, newer system meant newer firmware, but that is no longer an issue. It wouldn't generate less heat, smaller chips in the same case would generate less heat.

Burai said:
I really shake my head when people talk about the advantages of the PS3 when the "advantages" are the things keeping the price up which is ultimately killing the system at retail.

Sony are losing customers to competitors who don't have these "advantages" so the only answer is that people don't want to pay for them up front and will happily either live without them or buy them separately.

How is having a slot on the side and letting users replace their own hard drive keeping the price up?

MoogPaul said:
Okay, serious question. What would be the advantage of a smaller console besides smaller chips and a physically smaller system? Back in the day, newer system meant newer firmware, but that is no longer an issue. It wouldn't generate less heat, smaller chips in the same case would generate less heat.

Lower material costs, streamlined manufacturing.

Doc Evils

_leech_ said:
It's starting to look more plausible, but I don't think it would be the wisest move to make right now unless these new models are significantly cheaper to manufacture and they completely discontinue the current models.

You know I keep coming across these comments, I presume most people on this forum don't have a clue when it comes to manufacturing.

If you have had a look inside the PS3 and see how it was made and put together, you would realise it uses far too many parts for such basic thing such as the console cover. I counted 4 different pieces of material that covers the top part. The Wii and X360 on the other hand has one or two basic covers.

What Sony seems to be doing for this slim redesign is making the process of manufacturing simple and keeping minimal part usage which translates to cost reduction. Because Sony isn't adding anything new like the DSi for example, but instead removes stuff left over from the 60GB and has been carried on to 40GB+ designs.

Rolf NB

_leech_ said:
How is having a slot on the side and letting users replace their own hard drive keeping the price up?
In the same land where it's a great idea to sell a PS3 without a BR drive. In the land over the mountain ridge, where the PS3 haters sit under their trees, imagining ways to make Sony fail as hard as possible.

thaOwner

_leech_ said:
It's starting to look more plausible, but I don't think it would be the wisest move to make right now unless these new models are significantly cheaper to manufacture and they completely discontinue the current models.
I bet they will be going the same route they are gonna be going with the new PSP announcement at E3. They will let the current models drop to 299 and introduce the slim at a higher price.

LiK

MoogPaul said:

i think you listed the main benefit. the regular PS3 is a beast.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
MoogPaul said:

To Sony, a relaunch. A new chance to take back what used to be theirs. See: Nintendo DS Lite.

What would be the advantage? Shrug, some more space under your tv? Won't really know till we have the details.

Tobor

MoogPaul said:

Shipping costs, for one. Less weight + smaller packaging = big savings.

hirokazu

MoogPaul said:
Everything about the SMALLER console including smaller chips, lighter weight and all leads back to one thing: lower costs.

And I'm sure most people would agree cost is one of, if not the largest factor hampering PS3 sales at the moment.

iceatcs

PS3_Slim_Back_comparePS3.jpg

Almost fit

kittel

Wollan, a few more points.

1) Maintek Computer located in Suzhou, China, manufactures PS3s. They brought down the thread (Chinese) that was hosting these images with cease and desist. Of course, sites hosted outside China have nothing to fear.

2) Hardware ports seem to match those of existing PS3s. Note that I make no claims about same orientation; rather, the size of the holes presented in the pictures match those of existing ports (ie HDMI, optical, LAN, analog video, mains).

3) Sin said September.

HUELEN10

iceatcs said:
PS3_Slim_Back_comparePS3.jpg

Almost fit
It's been said before, but after just finishing reading this whole thread...

This shit just got real.

All aboard the NeoGAF HYPE TRAIN! Seriously, I hope it is real! Matte Black is sexy as hell.

LiK

kittel said:
Wollan, a few more points.

1) Maintek Computer located in Suzhou, China, manufactures PS3s. They brought down the thread (Chinese) that was hosting these images with cease and desist. Of course, sites hosted outside China have nothing to fear.

2) Hardware ports seem to match those of existing PS3s. Note that I make no claims about same orientation; rather, the size of the holes presented in the pictures match those of existing ports (ie HDMI, optical, LAN, analog video, mains).

3) Sin said September.

yea, that toothpaste ain't going back in.

Tobor

I need to try and pick up a copy of Valkyria Chronicles now, who knows if I'll be able to find it in September. :D

Blablurn

holy shit, guys.

this thread made my laugh in the morning. but 10 hours later it seems like shit just got real. oh my :lol

LiK

MoogPaul said:
But would we, as consumers, be seeing those manufacturing savings? I guess only time will tell.

if Sony can save money manufacturing it, then they can hopefully lower the price for consumers and move more systems. the smaller size might entice more people to buy. it's a win-win for Sony.

neptunes

omg please don't be real

that looks pretty crappy,
I would have expected Sony's industrial engineers to come up with something more creative than that

DMeisterJ

Banned
MoogPaul said:

A lot. But here are a couple of good things that could happen.

Obviously, the new chip size would help because of lower costs of production (smaller) and less materials used. There are also side effects that are really nice. Because they are smaller, they produce less heat, and that means that you can have smaller or less heatsinks which also drop the price down. Also, with a smaller size, one would imagine they would reduce the number of components in the system which means less money spent there, but also, a side effect of that is that the less components there are in there, the higher the yield because there is (theoretically) a smaller possibility of a necessary component failing, rendering the unit useless. And since there will be less components, and less heat being produced, the size of the fan can be reduced (or maybe removed altogether) reducing costs, and again, less moving parts means a higher yield, which means less money wasted on defective units. All of these things being removed would make the system smaller, which would mean that less materials would be used to make the casing of the system, lowering the cost of the system. Also, removing things make the system lighter, reducing shipping costs, lowering the cost of the system too. And also, the box the system comes in would be small, lowering the costs.

Of course this is a generously rosy outlook on the re-design, but nothing I wrote seems too far fetched. As you can see, it'd be very useful.

Rolf NB

MoogPaul said:
Materials, cost of packaging, cost of shipping, cost of keeping inventory (goes for retailers too), aesthetics (new look/size alone can make it potentially more attractive to consumers).

bridegur

If this is real, I'm surprised it's not in a more casual-friendly color like white/gray/silver. I just hope there's no backwards compatibility. I'd like to remain satisfied with my current PS3.

panda21

i think a lower price at the same time as a slim re-launch and some big new games would be quite big, whereas just having a new slightly smaller console with no price drop would be kind of missing an opportunity

Does this company MainTeK manufacture all PS3s, or just the ones manufactured outside of Japan? Are any even manufactured in Japan anymore?

I am sad to see the swappable HDD feature gone. I guess Sony assumes anyone that cared about a feature like that will have already picked up a PS3. Or maybe we just can't see the HDD bay slot in these leaks.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Valkyr Junkie said:
I am sad to see the swappable HDD feature gone. I guess Sony assumes anyone that cared about a feature like that will have already picked up a PS3. Or maybe we just can't see the HDD bay slot in these leaks.
Eh, I think it still has to be there. I hope.

Man, I cant believe this is actually possibly happening. :O

Vinci

Danish
LiK said:
if Sony can save money manufacturing it, then they can hopefully lower the price for consumers and move more systems. the smaller size might entice more people to buy. it's a win-win for Sony.

All kinds of win for me, basically. I was expecting a price drop before the end of the year, but this? The wife and I were wondering where the hell we were going to put that monstrosity (the current PS3) in our relatively small entertainment center - and Sony might have just removed that obstacle entirely.

Will buy this. Without doubt. Be real.
Also, matte black is sexy as hell, you haters.

Fatalah

You know what smaller means to the consumer?

"Hey, maybe buying the PS3 isn't such a big deal. It's small enough to fit into my entertainment center. It can go right next to my [Wii, Xbox360]."

Hell, it's already got me interested.

kittel

This is very similar to the PSP-3000 leak (it was leaked on the same site, I believe). I would imagine that the people doing the leaking are Technical, QA, or visiting Design engineers who might have the ability to bring in camera phones into the factory without security checking. I wonder if there are any more photos out there...

Edit: Will Sony deny this as usual? Probably they'll issue a "no comment," with reveal at E3?
I hope

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Valkyr Junkie said:
Does this company MainTeK manufacture all PS3s, or just the ones manufactured outside of Japan? Are any even manufactured in Japan anymore?

Its probably still there since sony had the smart idea to use notebook Harddrives which are very slim and small.

DMeisterJ

Banned
kittel said:
This is very similar to the PSP-3000 leak (it was leaked on the same site, I believe). I would imagine that the people doing the leaking are Technical, QA, or visiting Design engineers who might have the ability to bring in camera phones into the factory without security checking. I wonder if there are any more photos out there...

The PSP 3K was PSPchina or something like that, but yeah, both were leaked by a Chinese website a few weeks before announcement. PSP was 3 weeks, and we're a little less than 3 weeks from Sony's E3 Presser.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
DMeisterJ said:
The PSP 3K was PSPchina or something like that, but yeah, both were leaked by a Chinese website a few weeks before announcement. PSP was 3 weeks, and we're a little less than 3 weeks from Sony's E3 Presser.
Did Sony ever formally announce the PSP 3000 or did they just announce a new entertainment bundle w/3000?

Rolf NB

kittel said:
The weird vertical stripes across the images look similar to the sub-pixel interference patterns you get when you photograph an LCD monitor with a CCD camera under certain conditions.

... which leads me to the theory that these may potentially be photos taken indirectly, off monitors in some surveillance/security room.

rSpooky

saw this thread early this morning , could not get the time to post until now. But While I came in expecting fake, I it did not take long to be not so sure anymore...

I am inclined to move towards "real" on this one. If it happens to be not..no biggie.

Doc Evils

The PS3 drive alone would bring huge saving. The old bricks being used was something like £300 when they first launched(not idea how much they cost now). The current cheap slim ones from Sony cost £50 on amazon uk and when you consider these are built by Sony in huge bulk for themselves it becomes even cheaper when put in the PS3.

Kai Ozu

MoogPaul said:

Seems like they want to try rebranding the ps3. I for one am happy about that. I've always thought the spiderman font was stupid.

I'll be pissed if this slim PS3 gets announced at E3

I bought a replacement system not so long ago, if I knew this was coming I would have waited for a slimmy :(

AndyD

aka andydumi
Wollan said:
Thanks to west and iceatcs for angling the image correctly, the system is almost quadratic:

PS3_Slim_7.jpg

Can we estimate siza based on the size of the DS3 next to it?

A half as thick, two thirds as wide and just as deep machine would be rouhgly laptop sized and quite a nice reduction.

alterno69

Banned
This would be an awesome move by SONY, when they launched the PSOne and PSTwo i had already moved onto another system so i didn't care but this time i'd be VERY tempted to get one seeing how PS3 hasn't hit it's stride yet.

DMeisterJ

Banned
chubigans said:
Did Sony ever formally announce the PSP 3000 or did they just announce a new entertainment bundle w/3000?

I believe it was announced at the Games Convention in Leipzig. But don't quote me on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom