• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Sports Revealed - Two more games revealed

sharbhund said:
Can someone explain this video?
http://wii.com/jp/movies/wii-motion-plus-movie2/
What does a high-speed camera and bouncing water balloons have to do with Wii Motion+?
I guess it has something to do with the fact that wii motion+ needs to register movements way more precise than at 30fps. They explain it with the balloons because if you don't record a lot of frames you won't notice the extreme deformations that occur while they hit the ground.

nli10

Wii said:
Wii Sports must've been like 10 mb altogether.
Why not just include all of Wii Sports' minigames into Wii Sports Resort with MotionPlus and WFC Support (ONLINE BOXING! ONLINE TENNIS!)

And then I would'nt have to swap discs everytime someone wants to play Bowling

I've always thought this.

Completely supersede WiiSports. Sell it solo for £20 and take out of bundle - it's got hte record now, let it sleep. Put WSR in with the WIii and with the dongle.

Everyone new gets the new game, everyone old wants the new game as the new people have it. Put all 5 old games on there exactly with the M+ compatibility (golf just add the old course) - can even be unlockables.

I'll be very surprised if they haven't found a way to use the balance board too.

Remember - WiiSports was originally 3 games then they upped it to 5. Wii Sports resort could easily be 10 or 12 games now. (if you include the old ones).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sorry for being out of the loop here, but am I getting wii sports resort for free with a motion plus add-on?

If not I think I'd manage with just a patch for my current version of wii sports, thankyouverymuch.

Akai

gofreak said:
Sorry for being out of the loop here, but am I getting wii sports resort for free with a motion plus add-on?

Yes, Wii Sports Resort will be bundled with the Motion+...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
For reals? I had no idea (that it was impossible at least).

Guess I need to read up on more of the motion plus games. Thanks for entertaining my not so informed questions :)

nli10 said:
I've always thought this.

Completely supersede WiiSports. Sell it solo for £20 and take out of bundle - it's got hte record now, let it sleep. Put WSR in with the WIii and with the dongle.

Everyone new gets the new game, everyone old wants the new game as the new people have it. Put all 5 old games on there exactly with the M+ compatibility (golf just add the old course) - can even be unlockables.

I'll be very surprised if they haven't found a way to use the balance board too.

Remember - WiiSports was originally 3 games then they upped it to 5. Wii Sports resort could easily be 10 or 12 games now. (if you include the old ones).

Wii Sports Resort was going to be 10 games, but they've cut it down to 8. Oh and Wii disc based games cannot be patched, only Wii Ware/Virtual Console. There's no technical procedure for doing it unfortunately.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Wii Sports Resort was going to be 10 games, but they've cut it down to 8. Oh and Wii disc based games cannot be patched, only Wii Ware/Virtual Console. There's no technical procedure for doing it unfortunately.

even though they said there would be....!

Nuclear Muffin said:
Oh and Wii disc based games cannot be patched, only Wii Ware/Virtual Console. There's no technical procedure for doing it unfortunately.
just because it hasnt been done doesnt mean its technically impossible though, all that would have to be done is that is the patch would be a seperate wii channel that could then use the assets on a disk, probably to confusing to the casuals for nintendo to bother but as i say perfectly possible

Cheez-It

Keep in mind the format of Wii Sports: several main events, with multiple minigames for each. My guess is that the little frisbee toss game is a minigame for something else...

1-D_FTW

Looks great to me. Not surprised to see so many haters in this thread, seeing how gaf as a whole seems to miss how genius the first Wii Sports really was.

Shiggy

Yes. そこで考えたのが So the idea that
Wiiモーションプラスの本体部分と、 Wii Motion Plus and body,
ロングジャケットを一体化することでした。 Was to integrate a long jacket.

岩田 Iwata
つまり、Wiiモーションプラスとロングジャケットを別々に出すのではなく・・・。 So, Wii by the Motion Plus and a long jacket and not the issue.

高本 Takamoto
最初から一体化しています。 Are integrated from the start.
だから、ロングジャケットを着た状態の商品を So, the product of state wearing a long jacket
Wiiモーションプラスと呼ぶようにしました。 Was to be called Wii Motion plus.

I am not sure whether this Google Translation can be correctly understood. To me, it sounds as if Wii Motion+ will be integrated into the jacket, just like IGN said.

difference.jpg

11.jpg
12.jpg

"I was able to remove easily."
"And not to gum up and not think about the maintenance and repair. "

wmp_fix.jpg

"You're totally integrated with long jacket (laughs)."

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
the fact that they're updating Golf for wii sports resort gives me hope for bowling.

[Nintex]

Iwata is amazing, last month he said:
"We were slow on new proposals for Wii" and now they're re-running Wii Play and Wii Sports events. I bet one of those games is Wii Airplane as shown at E3 2006. That gives us:

1. Puppy's are cute
2. Fight Your Boss
3. I AM THE Jet Ski-NATOR
4. Wii Sports Golf 1.1
5. Wii Play Table Tennis final version
6. E3 airplane demo(?)
7. ??
8. ??

So what the hell did EAD do with $370 million in R&D costs last fiscal year? They either have a new Zelda, Mario and Pikmin waiting to be released or they ran out of drugs and hookers.

[Nintex] said:
So what the hell did EAD to with $370 million in R&D costs last fiscal year? They either have a new Zelda, Mario and Pikmin waiting to be released or they ran out of drugs and hookers.

Well with that cost size, its probably for their new console......:X

So what the hell did EAD to with $370 million in R&D costs last fiscal year? They either have a new Zelda, Mario and Pikmin waiting to be released or they ran out of drugs and hookers.

DSi, DSiWare, new console research, and maybe a few in-house games, most likely.

Starchasing said:
i think golf was great ... it lacked courses and sometimes did not detect small movements.... i guess it will improve on that...

does anyone have youtube links for the ads.... those vids never worked in my mac

Yeah, I really enjoyed golf and just wished it had 3 courses or so to add some longevity.

swerve

Shiggy said:
I am not sure whether this Google Translation can be correctly understood. To me, it sounds as if Wii Motion+ will be integrated into the jacket, just like IGN said.

swerve said:
In the new Iwata Asks there is a lot of mention of the Long Jacket as being a part of Motion Plus. I only had time for a quick scan through but it appeared that the resolution was:

'to play motion+ is to have the long jacket'

and that this has been the case since the start of development, due to much more ridiculous movements involved.

Yep, the jacket can't be removed (from the retail units, I guess). It's confirmed from Iwata-san himself.

Squeak

pakkit said:
I think it's kind of disappointing that we're going to get a retread of golf in our new Wii Sports game, especially since we're getting Tiger Woods, which is guaranteed to be a much fuller experience. If the gestural controls are a notch above Tiger, then it'll be a cool addition, but even then, I'd like to try new Wii Motion+ experiences on Nintendo's tech demo/game for the attachment.
There is full and there is overproduced and feature bloated. Most sports games fall under the last.
Most non sports obsessed people, when they are playing a sportsgame, want a light and tight experience.
For people truly enjoying the game, as in the feel of the actual sport, having realistic characters and accurate data, is not an issue.

1-D_FTW

Shiggy said:

difference.jpg

Not loving the new water. Seems like they've replaced it with N64 quality water (which I assume isn't placeholder and was done to create a uniform water look throughout the island.)

Davey Cakes

Squeak said:
There is full and there is overproduced and feature bloated. Most sports games fall under the last.
Most non sports obsessed people, when they are playing a sportsgame, want a light and tight experience.
For people truly enjoying the game, as in the feel of the actual sport, having realistic characters and accurate data, is not an issue.
Exactly.

Wii Sports Resort is going to have Golf and Frisbee. Tiger Woods is going to have Golf and Disc Golf. One is obviously more robust than the other. However, I myself am not interested in Tiger Woods that much, while I am interested in Wii Sports Resort.

It mostly has to do with the fact that I enjoy the simpler, lighter, more "pick up and play" approach that Wii Sports Resort takes to these mini games. And on top of that, I see myself playing with a group of friends with Wii Sports Resort more than I would with Tiger Woods based on the variety that's on the disc as it is, regardless of how much more deep a more "full" experience like Tiger Woods or Virtua Tennis (if, say, Wii Tennis was in WSR) would be as entirely separate games.

This is why it's good that we have the kinds of options that Nintendo and EA are providing for us.

Jokeropia

KittenMaster said:
Taking two of Wii Sports' better games (well, technically one of them at least) and hopefully giving them more solid gameplay is something that doesn't seem so bad to me.
This.

I don't see what the hell people are complaining about.

Sadist

[Nintex] said:
So what the hell did EAD do with $370 million in R&D costs last fiscal year? They either have a new Zelda, Mario and Pikmin waiting to be released or they ran out of drugs and hookers.
There is a reason why Yamauchi is one of the richest men in Japan.

Jokeropia said:
This.

I don't see what the hell people are complaining about.

Provided the whole package has a decent selection of different games, I have no problem with them revisiting WS Golf and (effectively) WS Tennis. In fact, I think that doing that will help to sell the game to people - if they pull off Motion + implementation as well as they can, it should demonstrate exactly how the dongle can improve gameplay experiences the audience is familiar with, as well as demonstrating the possibilities for the tech.

Captain N

How come Nintendo has never updated the Mii? I would love to have an achievement sort of thing with Wii games that allows me to unlock Punch-Out!! shirts.

Captain N said:
How come Nintendo has never updated the Mii? I would love to have an achievement sort of thing with Wii games that allows me to unlock Punch-Out!! shirts.
unfortunately that wouldnt be possible as "new" mii data wouldnt be compatible with old games

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
1-D_FTW said:
Not loving the new water. Seems like they've replaced it with N64 quality water (which I assume isn't placeholder and was done to create a uniform water look throughout the island.)
But the sky is better.

Haunted

Table Tennis
!!

\o/

1-D_FTW said:
:lol totally didn't notice that.

Now I can't unsee it. :(

ksamedi

The table tennis is going to be the best Wii multiplayer game since Wii sports Tennis. The commercials are pretty amazing.

dock

Akai said:
Well there's going to be 10 games in Sports Resort, I believe, so there's still hope! =(

wiiplane.jpg

Come ooooon, Wiiplane!
This please! This would make me buy Wii Sports Resort!

Wasn't DSi done like a year ago and they have been holding it back?

I tell ya that $370m is for WiiHD! or at least new console has started properly. $370m is too much for DSi anyhow.

1-D_FTW

later said:
Can anyone explain the appeal for the airplain game? I just don't get it.

It's the closest the Wii is probably gonna get to a Pilotwings sequel. Pilotwings' marketing may not be a casual or kid friendly franchise, but it's one on Nintendo's best.

Top Bottom