• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Knights in the Nightmare (DS) Thread of Bullet Hell Strategy RPGs!

Volcynika

banner3w.png

basicinfo.png

Knights in the Nightmare is a strategy RPG from Sting Entertainment, the fourth episode of the Dept. Heaven saga (other titles in the saga include Yggdra Union: We'll Never Fight Alone and Riviera: The Promised Land, both released for PSP and GBA).

Genre: Strategy RPG

Rating: T for Teen

story.png

The Island of St. Celestina is said to have once been a paradise for the angels..

Atop the cliffs facing the northern shores of St. Celestina, a beautiful old castle still stands.

This castle's name is Aventheim.

Named the "Palace of Profound Knowledge" in an ancient tongue, this massive fortress was constructed by a sage a milennia ago. Even now, as the age of glory and prosperity slowly fades, Wilmgard, the Lion Hard King, rules the castle with the twelve knight orders that serve him.

However, St. Celestina will fall into a nightmare, and the only light upon the old castle comes from the eerie luminance of an evil moon...

features.png

* Incorporating strategy RPG, real-time strategy, and shooter elements, you've never experienced a game like this. Control a Wisp with your stylus and activate the souls of deceased knights to aid you in destroying foes on the map. Enemies fire bullets in multiple directions, making it vital for players to master the unique touch controls
* Find and recruit the ghosts of seven different classes of knights from your kingdom, and learn of their pasts, hopes, dreams, and untimely deaths. Sacrifice their souls to one another to balance their skills and create your ultimate party
* This twice-told legend entangles you in a dark and brooding tale that is simultaneously examined through events both past and present. Complete the adventure to unlock the ability to play through the game with a new narrative twist, placing the antagonist in the starring role

releasedates.png

Japan: September 25th, 2008
North America: June 2nd, 2009
Europe: -

boxart.png

24zvbwx.jpg

images.png

16o0tg.jpg
29lbw42.jpg
madq1j.jpg

htz1wn.jpg
1yn56x.jpg
2urkqw0.jpg

videos.png

Trailer
Tutorial Video (Part 1)
Tutorial Video (Part 2)
Tutorial Video (Part 3)
GameTrailers Preview
IGN Videos (Some may contain spoilers)

reviews.png

Game Informer: 7/10
GamePro: 7/10
EDGE: 6/10
Nintendo Life: 8/10
Destructoid: 8.2/10
RPGamer: 4.5/5.0
RPGFan: 82/100
IGN: 8.8/10
Nintendo Power: 8/10

atlusspoils.png

EVERY PREMIUM BOXED LAUNCH COPY WILL INCLUDE THE CD, AND THE ART BOOK IS A PRE-ORDER BONUS AT PARTICIPATING RETAILERS

2pys41i.jpg

-To hear sample tracks from the CD, please visit the official website linked in the Basic Info.

-Art Book Samples: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

faq.png

I have no idea what's going on in this game! I've seen videos and images, and I still don't get it! What's the deal?

Take it from good ole NichM: "It's simple, though. Knights really isn't too different from the other stylus-driven bullet hell strategy RPGs out there."

No, seriously. Can you help me understand the game anymore?

Going into all the aspects of the system would make this OP much longer than any other OP out there, and I don't think you want that (AKA partial laziness on the part of myself, but it seriously has a lot of stuff to go into). Your choices are to visit the website and/or watch the tutorial videos listed above. If you have a Wii, though, Atlus has a demo on the Nintendo Channel that goes through a tutorial of some of the basic mechanics. It's a limited time demo, so get to it ASAP! For GAF impressions, please visit the Japanese version thread. It doesn't have too many people posting about their experiences (mostly just sprsk and kiryogi), but any information is better than zero.

Do I get to play the role of any of these cool looking characters?

Nah, you control the mighty powerful WISP! But it's ok, you can still control all the characters, plus dodge bullets shot from enemies with ease!

Anything else I should know about?

Yes! Being that this game was developed by Sting, it includes a tiny easter egg. If you have Yggdra Union: We'll Never Fight Alone for GBA, and plug it into your GBA slot (this only works for original DS models and the DS Lite), you'll have Yggdra giving you the tutorial.

*Credit for banner and other non-official images to my friend Idun, who is hoping to be approved for GAF one day. Please PM me for anything you feel should be included in the FAQ.

Llyranor

I'm really looking forward to this. The gameplay sounds pretty innovative and like a lot of fun.

I preordered it alongside Devil Survivor to get free shipping, but I guess that means I only get it at the end of June. On the bright side, it gives me time to finish Yggdra Union. I'm really starting to like Sting. With Riviera and Yggdra, they're now 2 for 2 as far as this series is concerned.

As expected, the music is awesome.

I'm also hoping it's a real good challenge, but given Yggdra, I'm not too worried about that.

Althane

Never played Yggdra, but Riviera was one of the most amazing games I've played on the GBA. Sting seems to make some really crazy awesome games.

*notes to play Yggdra*

By the way, I heard something about this including Yggdra somewhere. Was that just one of those random things, or is there truth to it somewhere?

'cuz if I could get Yggdra in this pack, I'd be happy.

Looking at Gamerankings GI gave it a 7 and rpg gamer a near perfect score. It looks cool but I think it'll end up being just like Riviera and Yggdra for me, games that are very interesting but I just never got into.

jrricky

Banned
WOW at this game. :O

So Much Style and Innovation. And lots of Atlus Spoils. Atlus <3

The DS and Atlus continue to deliver.:D

Llyranor

Yggdra is an awesome little SRPG full of innovation. I really love its various subsystems. Also, great music and animations/sprites. Very challenging game, though as it turns out the only difficulty available in the GBA version is 'hard mode' in the PSP version.

Yes! Being that this game was developed by Sting, it includes a tiny easter egg. If you have Yggdra Union: We'll Never Fight Alone for GBA, and plug it into your GBA slot (this only works for original DS models and the DS Lite), you'll have Yggdra giving you the tutorial.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
HYPE HYPE HYPE so excited!!

I'm on such a shooter kick too since I got my NES. Life Force, Zanac, Dragon Spirit, Guardian Legend...bring on KITTN!!!

Ooohhh... my feelings are so mixed on this one... looks so interesting, yet Riviera was one of the worst games I have ever played, and Yggdra Union was so needlessly convoluted...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Althane said:
Never played Yggdra, but Riviera was one of the most amazing games I've played on the GBA. Sting seems to make some really crazy awesome games.

*notes to play Yggdra*

By the way, I heard something about this including Yggdra somewhere. Was that just one of those random things, or is there truth to it somewhere?

'cuz if I could get Yggdra in this pack, I'd be happy.

There was a Japanese box set that included Yggdra, but it's not automatically in the pack from what I know.

Tremis

This man does his research.
Every time I saw a thread about this game, I just skipped it, thinking that it was just another one of the slew of crappy DS grid-based strat rpgs, but I'll tell you this:

The thread title of BULLET HELL STRATEGY RPG actually made me take a look at this thread, and by golly I was not disappointed. I think this may be a day 1. Thanks to the OP for highlighting the importance of this title. :D

Deeku

Llyranor said:
I'm really looking forward to this. The gameplay sounds pretty innovative and like a lot of fun.

Same. I watched those tutorial videos and was immediately sold. And yeah, Sting is definitely on a role. Pity I don't have the gba version of Yygdra (got the psp one)...seeing the easter egg would be nice.

Forkball

I know you spent a lot of the topic explaining the game, but I still don't get what the hell is going on. The art looks cool though. I'll wait for reviews.

BobJustBob said:
Already preordered.

Don't forget that there is a demo on the Wii Nintendo Channel right now, consisting of the tutorial.
Came to post this, as I had no idea this demo existed until I randomly fired up my nintendo channel.

Volcynika

Demo mentioned in the OP, but remember, it is a LIMITED demo, and I'm not sure how much longer it will be available. So get on that as soon as you can. And if you complain about the demo just being the tutorial, I will smack you.

Volcynika said:
Demo mentioned in the OP, but remember, it is a LIMITED demo, and I'm not sure how much longer it will be available. So get on that as soon as you can. And if you complain about the demo just being the tutorial, I will smack you.

The demo is just a tutorial! What's up with that!!! Put the WHOLE game on the darn channel next time Atlus!!!!!!!!!!

Volcynika

Forkball said:
I know you spent a lot of the topic explaining the game, but I still don't get what the hell is going on. The art looks cool though. I'll wait for reviews.

Yeah, it's pretty complex to a first time viewer, but it seems interesting to understand.

Some basic points I think are on for the most part:

-You control a wisp, the soul of a dead warrior (or some sort)
-You move this wisp via the touch screen and see its movements on the top screen
-Since you're dead, you have no HP. You have time.
-Time does not count down, but events can take away from time, like getting hit by the bullets (bullet hell part) shot out by enemies, or using skills of your warriors.
-When your time is gone, your turn is over.
-There is a grid of Kill icon things at the bottom, and if you get a straight line across the grid in a direction, then that level is complete.
-Holding onto a character with the wisp charges his attack
-Attacks can be different based on weapon and whether your (I forget the term) thing is set to Law or Chaos. Changing between the two can make a different attack pattern (instead of a T, you have a cross, for example). Some weapons are only available for Law/Chaos, so you need to change based on the weapon's stats.
-When you kill an enemy, these crystals come out and your wisp can collect them. I forget why (I played the demo a week ago, a bit hazy)
-You have access to view enemies' stats and movement paths.
-Weapons are breakable and according to kyriogi, you'll have to sacrifice your warriors to make new ones.

I think I'm in the ballpark there, but there's a lot to get used to. I think if you spent a little time with it, you can maybe get a handle on how the game works and go partway through just how complex it might be (or find someone with a Wii to get the demo).

Also, Icana, I will smack you.

Day -1
actually more like Day +7, because of delayed import shipping :(

I'm interested to see, how this game will do in the mainstream gaming press. Both Riviera and Yggdra were more or less in the 7 range and the GI review for KitN points in the same direction. The IGN preview on the other hand was extremely positive and Bozon was close to wetting himself, so a 9.0 or at least a high 8.x rating wouldn't surprise me.

/edit/ Oh, and good job with the thread.

RavenFox

Banned
Isn't it 'a paradise for the Angels?'
The Island of St. Celestina is said to have once been a paradise for the Angels...

Already preordered and paid for :D

Volcynika

RavenFox said:
Isn't it 'a paradise for the Angels?'
The Island of St. Celestina is said to have once been a paradise for the Angels...

Already preordered and paid for :D

Got our first hater!

Fixed!

Baron

Is the touch-screen or dual-screen implementation in this game essential to gameplay? I ask because I bought Riviera and Yggdra for GBA, but now have a PSP as well as a DS, and if there is any chance of a PSP port of Knights I may hold off on the DS release. It sounds like it may not translate well to a single-screen, non-touch platform. Any rumblings of a PSP port?

Volcynika

Baron said:
Is the touch-screen or dual-screen implementation in this game essential to gameplay? I ask because I bought Riviera and Yggdra for GBA, but now have a PSP as well as a DS, and if there is any chance of a PSP port of Knights I may hold off on the DS release. It sounds like it may not translate well to a single-screen, non-touch platform. Any rumblings of a PSP port?

It seems to be incredibly essential to gameplay, moving around, collecting the gems from enemies you kill before they disappear, playing that game without something like a touchscreen would mean they'd have to change some of the ways the mechanics are set up. Also those two other titles, as you mentioned, were for GBA, which would be easy to move to a platform with the same basic setup for controls, but since this is a DS game making lots of use out of the touchscreen, I really doubt it.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Volcynika said:
Anything else I should know about?

Hmm, is this all? It's just a visual, no extra characters or anything like that?

Volcynika

Princess Skittles said:
Hmm, is this all? It's just a visual, no extra characters or anything like that?

That's unfortunately all I heard about that little bonus. If there's more, someone feel free to speak up about it.

kiryogi

Banned
Not to divert but I thought I'd post this here for any Dept. Heaven fans...

http://community.livejournal.com/disaresta/48490.html

Okay. So the last we heard from Sting and Product Team A, they said Dept. Heaven episode III was headed for a hiatus. To recap for those who haven't heard yet, the current tentative plan is to make it some kind of MMO that takes place at roughly the same time as Knights in the Nightmare, and to primarily feature Asgard. (Which... might suck, depending on Atlus' opinion of giving us an MMO and Sting's ability to offer a Dept. Heaven MMO that's still compelling, when part of the series' attraction has been its plot and characters.)

The team wasn't so forthcoming about why work on episode III has stopped.

But hey, look, JaJa has started updating his blog! You all know what that means--there's a game in the works.

What is this game? Dept. Heaven episode IX.

According to JaJa, it's been planned for a while to make Dept. Heaven a nine-game series. Also according to JaJa, this means it could be a while before the series is complete. But as long as the games stay as good as they are and come out every year or two... there's not much to complain about, at least in my opinion. :D;

JaJa's blog contains some concept sketches by Kiyudzuki Satoko, who still looks to be the series' art director. He's been talking a lot about how Dept. Heaven has been trying to set standards for originality, and how unusual concepts are important to the series--game mechanics tend to be built around one idea.

It's hard to tell what this "idea" is now, but so far JaJa mentions plans for a 3D battle map, and the rough sketches there so far feature a three-way battle between different unit types.

Llyranor

So, now it's like the Ogre series where games come out in non-chronological order and the series will never be completed?

kiryogi

Banned
Llyranor said:
So, now it's like the Ogre series where games come out in non-chronological order and the series will never be completed?

Heh, glad I'm not the only one that thought of it like the OB Saga, but unlike OB Saga, Dept. Heaven is well and alive.

MotherFan

Ok, I tried the demo but am not yet feeling it. So basically the only attacks enemies do is shoot the bullets for the wisp to dodge? Do the knights ever get hit or anything?

Volcynika

MotherFan said:
Ok, I tried the demo but am not yet feeling it. So basically the only attacks enemies do is shoot the bullets for the wisp to dodge? Do the knights ever get hit or anything?

Whenever your Time runs out, your turn is over, so I think the enemies do their stuff afterwards, but I'm not sure.

Volcynika said:
Escapist Show did a feature on Devil Survivor and Knights

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vid...us-II-Devil-Survivor-Knights-in-the-Nightmare

(Skip to about 1:33 to get past some not so funny stuff)

Did he say it releases May 19th? 0-o

yea i'd seen that video, good video.. he did say it was may 19th, it must've been pushed back. googly eyes.

I have no idea what's going on in this game! I've seen videos and images, and I still don't get it! What's the deal?

Take it from good ole NichM: "It's simple, though. Knights really isn't too different from the other stylus-driven bullet hell strategy RPGs out there."

Heh! which other stylus-driven bullet hell strategy RPGs? :lol

The demo is just a tutorial! What's up with that!!! Put the WHOLE game on the darn channel next time Atlus!!!!!!!!!!
:lol don't Provoke the wrath! I agree with you though - well, i can't tell if your bing sarcastic. but i thought the tutorial was crap, i was bored to tears and had no patience for it :( i wish they'd have let you play a demo level to see how the game actually... plays. doh

but yea, i'll probably be down to play this especially after the term is over on my summer break, and hopefully i'll be able to make some progress with the dark spire, that game hates me or something i swear.

nice thread - in on the first page! looking forward to seeing some of your impressions.

Volcynika

whiterabbit said:
yea i'd seen that video, good video.. he did say it was may 19th, it must've been pushed back. googly eyes.

Heh! which other stylus-driven bullet hell strategy RPGs? :lol

:lol don't Provoke the wrath! I agree with you though - well, i can't tell if your bing sarcastic. but i thought the tutorial was crap, i was bored to tears and had no patience for it :( i wish they'd have let you play a demo level to see how the game actually... plays. doh

but yea, i'll probably be down to play this especially after the term is over on my summer break, and hopefully i'll be able to make some progress with the dark spire, that game hates me or something i swear.

nice thread - in on the first page! looking forward to seeing some of your impressions.

Read the post previous to his, he was just responding to what I said about it. :p

Volcynika

RPGFan reviewed it: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Knights_in_the_Nightmare/index.html

I can't believe I ended up enjoying this game as thoroughly as I did. It truly came as a shock to me, because my initial impression was that I wouldn't like this game at all. But it's worth learning the game's unique mechanics and trying it out. The game has multiple endings (thanks to the differing scenarios), as well as different difficulty levels, and hundreds of recruitable characters, including some from Riviera and Yggdra Union. If you're a series fan, there's no question that you need to play this game. For newcomers, I only offer this one warning: be ready for a challenge. This is a difficult game, and you have to want to learn how the game works to enjoy it. Put in the effort, and you'll get a lot out of it. It may not be the best handheld strategy RPG on the market, but it's certainly the one that turned the genre on its head. I will not soon forget it, and if you take on this 20-hour-long DS game, I suspect you'll remember it fondly as well.
82/100

EDGE gave the game a 6 btw. Don't know what they said about the game, though, because everyone was to busy talking about the Infamous review.

Well, I don't think it's actually :/ worthy. Knights in the Nightmare is probably a game, just like Riviera and Yggdra, that has quite a few hurdles that'll hinder the fun most gamers will have with the game and EDGE was never the type of magazine that was going to overlook them. So a 6 is not that unexpected.

Volcynika

slaughterking said:
Well, I don't think it's actually :/ worthy. Knights in the Nightmare is probably a game, just like Riviera and Yggdra, that has quite a few hurdles that'll hinder the fun most gamers will have with the game and EDGE was never the type of magazine that was going to overlook them. So a 6 is not that unexpected.

Mostly referring to the

"Don't know what they said about the game, though, because everyone was to busy talking about the Infamous review." part, but yeah. I don't expect it to get all 9's and 10's due to the complexity of the system.

Top Bottom