• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - June 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

rpmurphy

Teppic said:
I dug out my NES yesterday and played some Kirby's Adventure. The difference between the original and VC is huge.

When I first played the VC version I felt something was wrong, but numerous posts about how faithful most games where to the originals made me think I might be mistaken.

However, by comparison, the VC game is full of slowdowns that aren't in the original. I was very surprised of how well the original game ran, with barely little to none slowdowns.

This is the PAL game compared to the (I assume) PAL game on VC. Is there anyone here who can tell if the NTSC VC version have the same problem?

I haven't noticed any significant difference from the VC and the original here. NTSC version.

I know I'm LTTP but Boxlife is absolutely the best ArtStyle game to date (regarding NA releases). Everytime I say I'm just going to do a quick run it seems like an hour passes by. God I love skip.

Oliver.S said:
The SMB 3 VC game is full of slowdowns that aren't in the original, too. PAL version.

The US VC version has no slowdown. Must be a PAL issue.

Also, IGN have just posted a video of Galaga 88 arcade on their Wii site. Looks like it might be monday's VC game.

zigg

Saint10118 said:
I know I'm LTTP but Boxlife is absolutely the best ArtStyle game to date (regarding NA releases). Everytime I say I'm just going to do a quick run it seems like an hour passes by. God I love skip.

It was getting frustrating for me in the higher R&D levels, but I tried again today and it clicked. Now my little box-dude is a "genius" complete with a robe and wizard staff :lol

GAF steered me right. OuterWorldVoice, if you're still lurking and looking for DSiWare, the ArtStyle games are awesome. Aquia is the least awesome, but I still like it. Flip Champs started to hurt my brain a lot sooner than I expected it to. I have a very puzzle filled trip right now.

Teppic

rpmurphy said:
I haven't noticed any significant difference from the VC and the original here. NTSC version.
It does seem to be a problem for PAL VC only then.

Either way, No more VC games for me :(

I love Boxlife a lot, but oddly enough, I've been playing more pictobits since it came out than it, trying to finish up the dark stages. I guess I just want to get that off the plate first.

Both are great.

I gotta say, DSiWare's really improving. Nintendo of America is the only crux though, in that they're releasing games so much slower, and they're ignoring all the good ones. Three Art Styles, Sudoku, Asphalt, etc. And I don't think NoE or AU have ever had "clock/calc only weeks".

Capndrake

A Link to the Snitch said:
I gotta say, DSiWare's really improving. Nintendo of America is the only crux though, in that they're releasing games so much slower, and they're ignoring all the good ones. Three Art Styles, Sudoku, Asphalt, etc. And I don't think NoE or AU have ever had "clock/calc only weeks".
But we only get 1 VC game every 2 weeks now :(

lyre

Who (and how many) do I have to bludgeon to death before someone (or Hudson) brings out Hudson's Puzzle Series games to DSiware, since that seems like the only way the games will end up on the english speaking side of the Pacific and w/o paying a premium
discounting the usual NOA retardedness obviously
?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
BOXLIFE is alll I hoped it would be. Amazing little puzzle game.

lyre said:
Who (and how many) do I have to bludgeon to death before someone (or Hudson) brings out Hudson's Puzzle Series games to DSiware, since that seems like the only way the games will end up on the english speaking side of the Pacific and w/o paying a premium
?
Slitherlink for DSiWare!

just got a dsi, is brain age express worth getting if you already have both brain age games?

and why does the wifi light stay lit?! also do dsi multiplayer games need another dsi or can it be a ds. thanks.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
big black woman said:
just got a dsi, is brain age express worth getting if you already have both brain age games?

and why does the wifi light stay lit?! also do dsi multiplayer games need another dsi or can it be a ds. thanks.
If you already have both? Nah, unless you like having it for extra training on the go. And remember it's just math.
It does have some picture and mic options though.

The wifi light is always on, but wifi is only on when it's blinking.
MP DSiWare games can play on a DS.

Somnid

A Link to the Snitch said:

Why do people make stuff up to dig into NOA? The US is not getting DSiWare slower, in fact right now it's 2 ahead despite launching 2 days after Europe (unless Europe gets 2 games this week by week US will be ahead). Europe also doesn't have Flip Champs or MvsDK. Realistically they are about even.

Somnid

panda21 said:
really? i'm pretty sure US is behind with the art style games at least. definitely not ahead anyway

He's right that they don't have 3 Art Style games (KUBOS, NEMREM, CODE), but they are only 2 behind because the US has BOXLIFE which of those 4 is the best. It also doesn't make up for Europe's lack of MvsDK and Flip Champs though.

RedBoot

panda21 said:
really? i'm pretty sure US is behind with the art style games at least. definitely not ahead anyway

Europe has 5 to our 3 (incidentally, they're only missing Hacolife, which we just got). We're definitely behind.

I'm just endlessly mystified by the way the Art Style games have come out. All six were out in Japan before the US or EU got the DSi, and it's not like they need much translation work. The games are coming out slowly and randomly in both territories, in different orders as well. And to top it off, the games get renamed for no apparent reason (Aquia and Decode have different names in each of the three territories).

There's nothing bad about the way things are going, other than the slow releases, but it just looks disorganized and batshit crazy. But I guess that's nothing new.

evilromero said:
He probably won't read this because he's off to play Super Castlevania IV.

That was like a day apart. He obviously had more than enough time to get back to the interwebz.

I still wish Virtual Console would get back to doing multiple game weeks. Not to mention that Rondo of Blood needs to get here sooner than later, for the sake of a well-emulated version of one of the best games ever.

zigg said:
It was getting frustrating for me in the higher R&D levels, but I tried again today and it clicked. Now my little box-dude is a "genius" complete with a robe and wizard staff :lol
That's the great thing about this game is that all of a sudden the patterns just start clicking and you can start chopping blocks like a lunatic. I love it.

lyre said:
?
I second this. I would be all over their color logic picross clone in a heartbeat - especially because everywhere is out of stock for imports of the proper game for DS :(

Capndrake

EU update of pretty damn awesome (And the pattern of 1 VC game every 2 weeks being broken):

VC:
-SimEarth: The Living Planet (TGCD, Hudson Soft, 800 points)
-Altered Beast (VCA, Sega, 900 points)

WW:
-Puzzle Bobble Plus! (Taito, 800 points)
-Water Warfare (Hudson Soft, 800 points)

DSiWare:
-Sudoku 50! For Beginners (Hudson Soft, 200 points)

Capndrake said:
DSiWare:
-Sudoku 50! For Beginners (Hudson Soft, 200 points)
Where is Mario and Donkey Kong? Where is Tingle? Where is moving memo? Where is Box Life
DAMNIT, a second fuckin Sudoku noone wants :(

Dash Kappei said:
I take it'll be again 200 points cheaper for the US? Fuck 'em if so, still burned by BB Plus.

Agreed. They've already increased the monetary price of Nintendo Points here but to also expect us to pay an extra 200 points for a game really is taking the piss. I'll buy this only if the US price is the same.

wackojackosnose said:
Agreed. They've already increased the monetary price of Nintendo Points here but to also expect us to pay an extra 200 points for a game really is taking the piss. I'll buy this only if the US price is the same.

That was for DSi points, the price of Wii points didn't change.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Those aren't the same things everywhere?

Buying DSi points from the machine itself costs £9 per 1000 points, compared to £7 if you buy Nintendo points cards or Wii points from the machine itself.

You can actually get DSi points cheaper by buying points cards, since they still retail for the same price as they always have.

Nuclear Muffin said:
That was for DSi points, the price of Wii points didn't change.

The points/£ cost the same only if I buy Wii Points directly online (where they're still £7 = 1000 Wii points). They've basically stealth increased the price by phasing out the old £15 = 2000 Wii points (physical goods) package and replaced it with the new £20 = 2000 Nintendo points.

I'm kinda glad that I stocked up on the £13 = Nintendo 3000 points though. Thank you Amazon fuck ups!

Capndrake

Japan's July schedule is REALLY barebones:

FC:
-Tantei Jinguuji Shaburo: Toki no Sugiyuku Mama ni (June 30th)
-Final Fantasy III

SFC:
-Super Punch-Out!!

VCA:
-Marvel Land (June 30th)
-Shinobi

On the plus side, vc-pce lists Bomberman '94 and Detana!! Twinbee for Europe, so there will be a Hanabi Festival :D

BikoBiko

Capndrake said:
On the plus side, vc-pce lists Bomberman '94 and Detana!! Twinbee for Europe, so there will be a Hanabi Festival :D
Yay Hanabi Festival :D Just curious, what does Hanabi stand for?

Capndrake said:
Japan's July schedule is REALLY barebones:

FC:
-Tantei Jinguuji Shaburo: Toki no Sugiyuku Mama ni (June 30th)
-Final Fantasy III

SFC:
-Super Punch-Out!!

VCA:
-Marvel Land (June 30th)
-Shinobi

About damn time, there's a ton of import games rated by PEGI now!

Echoes

I'm sorry (should I even apologize?) but I'm calling it: Boxlife is my favorite handheld game of all time. A 5$ game justified the purchase of a 170$ system. The DSiWare games I had bought (and still buying) are justifying it, sure, but Boxlife alone made me happy that I got the system. I'm flying to Dubai tomorrow's morning and I'll be taking nothing but my DSi and maybe Lock's Quest. I can foresee the epic vacation being dominated by nothing but Boxlife and PictoBits :lol

zigg

Echoes said:
I'm sorry (should I even apologize?) but I'm calling it: Boxlife is my favorite handheld game of all time. A 5$ game justified the purchase of a 170$ system. The DSiWare games I had bought (and still buying) are justifying it, sure, but Boxlife alone made me happy that I got the system. I'm flying to Dubai tomorrow's morning and I'll be taking nothing but my DSi and maybe Lock's Quest. I can foresee the epic vacation being dominated by nothing but Boxlife and PictoBits :lol

And I say you have nothing to apologize for.

Boxlife was the keystone that tipped me personally over the edge into the fiscal justification zone. I don't know if I'd rest the entirety of DSi's worth on it, but with PiCTOBiTS, to a lesser-but-still-notable extent Aquia, and then M vs DK and MFC, I am solid on this thing. And then I get to continue with my still-expanding DS collection too.

But the great part is that it's only a handful of months old. Can't wait to see what's coming out down the line.

Somnid

Not to get hopes up but VC-PCE is also listing it will have some sever maintenance down time. Might be something interesting both because of Japan's anemic (comparatively) announced lineup and because I see no reason why that server would even need maintenance since it seems like a low traffic site that almost never updates.

...or maybe I'm just digging too hard. Yeah that's probably it.

NSider

Echoes said:
Yes, you should apologize because I'm offended and hurt by your personal opinion.

Apology not accepted btw.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
zigg said:
But the great part is that it's only a handful of months old. Can't wait to see what's coming out down the line.
ds-10+, that's what is coming ; )

if there was a totally justified console purchase in my life the dsi is it.

Echoes

I just bought Aquia. Hmmm... It didn't click with me yet. Only finished the first level but... I dunno. Doesn't have that "OMG" feel that's presented in PictoBits and Boxlife. I'll give it some more time, though.

I now have 400 points left. What should I get? Paper Airplane Chase? Birds & Beans? Any others?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Echoes said:
I just bought Aquia. Hmmm... It didn't click with me yet. Only finished the first level but... I dunno. Doesn't have that "OMG" feel that's presented in PictoBits and Boxlife. I'll give it some more time, though.

I now have 400 points left. What should I get? Paper Airplane Chase? Birds & Beans? Any others?

Buy more points and get Mighty Flip Champs or hold off.

Unless you're a girly girl. Then you should buy American Popstar.

meppi

BikoBiko said:
Yay Hanabi Festival :D Just curious, what does Hanabi stand for?
fireworks. ;)

BTW just purchased Puzzle Bobble on WiiWare along with both PB2 and PB3 packs.
I got burned by the retail Bust A Move game as well, but this one is pretty much just as good as the classics.

The only thing I miss and I have been doing so since the PSone version of Puzzle Bobble 2 Arcade Edition is the Time Attack mode.
Being able to play the game that way in one, but especially 2 player mode was gaming heaven.
Shaving hundreds of seconds of you best times was so competitive and so much fun, I can't believe Taito didn't use this mode again. :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNTBXv5NHhw

colinp

Banned
AndriaSang said:
So far, it's really slow paced as you have to watch all the monster animations. However, the strategy does seem to be very complex. I've only played a bit so far though.

Hmmm, holding off on purchasing until I hear a bit more then. Any updated impressions? =)

Echoes

Stumpokapow said:
Buy more points and get Mighty Flip Champs or hold off.

Unless you're a girly girl. Then you should buy American Popstar.
Hah, I'm not a girl :p

I have MFC and it's awesome, as well as MvsDK.

Top Bottom