• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Direct March 08

I thought that was pretty decent. There's a few things I'm interested in, though a lot of them are ports. At least it seems there'll be enough to play this year.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I was kind of excited when they were showing off the ports, because stupid me thought one of them gotta to be TMS#FE but no NOTHING!!!

Come on Nintendo, TMS is too good to stay on WiiU. The game needs second chance.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20180308-144555.png
At least we got our first look at Samus' character model from Metroid Prime 4.

Fbh

HAL is the developer, not Bandai Namco. So I guess that is a new version.
I'm going to assume they will just handle the port and maybe take over the development of future content.

I was kind of excited when they were showing off the ports, because stupid me thought one of them gotta to be TMS#FE but no NOTHING!!!

Come on Nintendo, TMS is too good to stay on WiiU. The game needs second chance.

Don't worry it will come. If not in the next direct then the one after that.

Nintendo in 2018 has made it clear that they don't have too much ready for this year and will fill it with as many ports as they can.

First half will be Kirby and Mario tennis +10000 ports.

Second half will be Fire emblem + 10000 ports

Last edited:

sssssszzzzz

Neo Member
Well, Nintendo Directs usually focus on shorter time frames and I guess regardings thirds we have only seen everything that releases up to July 2018. Crash and Okami are instant busy for me, they fit the system so perfectly (although I have bought Okami twice already!). Not sure on Mario Tennis yet, the original one is still the best entry for me. Highlight certainly was Project Octopath Traveller for me, I gotta get that LE somehow!

The ports are really not surprising given the Switch has already outsold the Wii U,, though I agree Nintendo should price these titles at $/€ 40 maximum instead of going even higher...

I was hoping for a Virtual Console announcement, but I guess it will be separately.

Only bummer for me was thee Luigi Mansion part, I wish that one was coming to the Switch just like part 2...

TannerDemoz

For all the praise I have for the system and Nintendo, I will say it's a joke that they've not announced a virtual console/e-shop line up yet or sorted their online system.

Fbh

So... I guess Nintendo didn't expect the Switch to be a hit right ?.
They had the first year planned with some great games but almost nothing else in serious production since they wanted to see if it sells first.

That's a lot of ports people... :/

Someone has to write to Nintendo that they don't need to make a new YouTube and Netflix app.

They can just port them over from the WiiU. Once they figure that out they will release them for sure

Last edited:

Kremzeek

I'm legit UPSET there was no Animal Crossing announcement. Not even a tease.

I want to play a new Animal Crossing on Switch! I'm assuming Nintendo doesn't want to take focus away from their AC mobile game.....?

Overall I'm pretty happy with this direct, I wasn't expecting a port of the original Luigi's Mansion on the 3DS, sure ports to the Switch would have been nice but thats still an instant buy for me. I liked that collectors edition for Octopath Traveler, I'll want to grab that. I may finally try Dark Souls as the lure to play it on the go might be the push off the fence I needed. I liked Captain Toad on the Wii U and may pick it up for the Switch, additional Splatoon content is always welcome in my books and Smash Bros was the icing on the cake, I didn't think they'd pull the trigger at the end there, as epic as that was.

A notable mention too, its nice to see games like Crash and South Park coming to the Switch as well, while alot of us gamers on Gaf may already own them as thats what we do, we play games as our main form of entertainment so alot of us here are up to date on everything as soon as its available. Its really nice to see Nintendo in the fray again, having the choices for people who choose Nintendo over Microsoft and Sony to have more of the same choices available to them and this speaks volumes to Nintendo's efforts to rebuild 3rd party relationships to a time when they had relationships with all of the publishers. It tells me that the Switch is here to stay, its here to leave its mark and thats a good thing for all of us and the longevity of this powerhouse of a console for Nintendo.

Zannegan

So... I guess Nintendo didn't expect the Switch to be a hit right ?.
They had the first year planned with some great games but almost nothing else in serious production since they wanted to see if it sells first.

It's not even E3 yet, and we already know that a new(?) entry in one of Nintendo's top 5 franchises is coming this year, and your conclusion is that Nintendo doesn't have much faith in the system? What was their backup plan, a handful of 3DS ports? I'm not gonnna say this will be a banner year for Switch or anything, but let's at least give them until E3 before we go all doom and gloom...

...which, incidentally, would be the title of the greatest Pokemon spinoff ever. Someone call Bethesda/id.

Last edited:
There was a Nintendo/Hal trademark listed at the end of the Wii U e3 reveal trailer too. It could still be Bamco making this version.

For a direct that really only covered games through July it was decent. I'm excited about Octopath Traveler's release date and it's nice to see releases for Undertale, South Park: The Fractured But Whole, and Okami HD. I'm less excited about Mario Tennis Aces. I'm hoping for the best, but don't know about those mechanics.

buizel

Banned
I'm legit UPSET there was no Animal Crossing announcement. Not even a tease.

I want to play a new Animal Crossing on Switch! I'm assuming Nintendo doesn't want to take focus away from their AC mobile game.....?

Would be interesting to see profits of AC on mobile, that might be an indicator of when/if to expect a new AC on Switch.

Fbh

It's not even E3 yet, and we already know that a new(?) entry in one of Nintendo's top 5 franchises is coming this year, and your conclusion is that Nintendo doesn't have much faith in the system? What was their backup plan, a handful of 3DS ports? I'm not gonnna say this will be a banner year for Switch or anything, but let's at least give them until E3 before we go all doom and gloom...

...which, incidentally, would be the title of the greatest Pokemon spinoff ever. Someone call Bethesda/id.

Well it's either that or they suck at planning since it's weird going into the second year of your new console with a games catalog that's like 70% overpriced ports.

Next year is going to be great no doubt. But I don't see E3 making this year any more exciting

DonF

It's March, what did people expect from a Direct? I thought it was solid and there's some interesting shit to play in the short term
At least as good as the last mini direct. I'm new to Nintendo and that mini direct blew my mind. So yeah, I was disappointed with this full fledged 30 minutes March direct.

Doom85

For all the praise I have for the system and Nintendo, I will say it's a joke that they've not announced a virtual console/e-shop line up yet or sorted their online system.

In terms of the first thing, I'm worried they may be minimizing their focus on Virtual Console given the success of NES/SNES minis. And don't get me wrong, I love my SNES mini and really hope they do a N64 and Gamecube one (and hey Sega, a Dreamcast mini would be EPIC) but they don't cover all the awesome games from those systems so hence why VC is needed. So hopefully I'm wrong in my theory.

Travis Returns was not what I was expecting. Not sure what I think about it, combat looks like it could go either way.

Anyway, besides Smash I think my most excited stuff was Luigi's Mansion on 3DS (never got to play the original despite having a Gamecube), and I really liked the sequel, and the Splatoon 2 expansion. Octopath Traveler has me intrigued as well.
Never played Captain Toad either because of Gamepad, might check it out, if they don't pull the Tropical Freeze pricing bullshit with it that is.

Last edited:

staen

Thought the direct was boring and disappointing but then I saw saga scarlet grace announced in the Japanese direct and all my disappointment went away

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It boggles my mind that any sane nintendo fan supports this SHIT.
i bought a wii u day 1 for the new zelda to find out the new zelda came out on the next gen FFS,

all the hype today is a fucking port ?

eh

staen

Travis Returns was not what I was expecting. Not sure what I think about it, combat looks like it could go either way.

It was exactly what I was expecting. Not sure why people kept hyping it up to be NMH3 when everything pointed towards being a smaller spinoff type game.

It was exactly what I was expecting. Not sure why people kept hyping it up to be NMH3 when everything pointed towards being a smaller spinoff type game.
I already knew it wasn't going to be like the old ones, but I wasn't expecting that for lightsaber combat either.

Fbh

i bought a wii u day 1 for the new zelda to find out the new zelda came out on the next gen FFS,

eh

Nah, you can also see the disappointment in this thread. Not everyone is losing their mind over ports.

As with every console you'll always have people that see everything as positive. Let's not forget we had people arguing that voice chat working over a phone app was not only "not bad" but was in fact brilliant

WaterAstro

Switch gets the birthday it deserves!

Anyone have a summary? I can only really get that there's a disappointing Smash port. lol

Zannegan

Well it's either that or they suck at planning since it's weird going into the second year of your new console with a games catalog that's like 70% overpriced ports.

Next year is going to be great no doubt. But I don't see E3 making this year any more exciting

Fair enough. Nintendo's never been the best at spacing out games to avoid droughts. although they've improved. And, to be clear, I'm not expecting a giant E3 blowout to "save the year." I've learned by watching Nintendo's E3s since the Wii, that Nintendo being "too quiet" does not guarantee an awesome E3. Sometimes they just don't have anything. I will never forget Ravi Drums or the amazing Nintendo Land fireworks show. Lol.

I just don't think you can posit a bad or, honestly, an average year as proof that they lacked confidence in the Switch, especially with the crazy number of units they ordered for year one.

As for the ports, they don't really bother me on any platform (I remember people getting pissed because Naughty Dog dared charge $50 for TLoU HD). They take a fraction of the resources of a full game--assuming they aren't just contracted out--and can be developed concurrently with larger projects, so it's not like every port represents a new game not made. For Nintendo the choice is closer to put out a port or have nothing new that week. Personally, I'll take the former every time.

Vawn

Banned
All I need is Octopath Traveler. This is the team that needs to keep making JRPGs for Square, not that I Am Setsuna/Lost Sphear stuff.

Vawn

Banned

eh

Touched a nerve?

BoTW also came out on Wii U. But, buying consoles for games well before they're released is always a risky move.

I do agree there's not a ton announced for Switch I'm excited for as having played these games on Wii U, but it's not like Switch hasn't had some great games already.

staen

More stuff only in the Japanese Direct:

Has botw costume with master sword/hylian shield.

Has "Jump Up, Super Star!" from Odyssey and a Splatoon 2 Medley.

staen

Switch gets the birthday it deserves!

Anyone have a summary? I can only really get that there's a disappointing Smash port. lol

They actually didn't show any details on Smash at all other than "2018" and that Inklings will be in. Lack of details is disappointing.

HCgamer

I purchased smash wiiu and 3ds I did not purchase any of the dlc if the switch game is a port includes all the dlc from the Wii u and 3ds games and adds new content I will buy it again.

-Minsc-

That Octopath Traveler tugs at mid 90's teenage me. The sprite JRPG of the future.

Blam Blam PSO 2 is eternally forbidden to set foot in NA.

Last edited:
Top Bottom