• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Direct March 08

KevinKeene

Banned
Thanks to staen for the recap:

Nintendo Direct Summary w/ timestamps

3DS

(0:40) Warioware Gold 300 microgames from both old and new. Games require button presses,touchscreen, microphone and gyro controls. Releases August 3rd.

(1:40) Dillion's Dead-Heat Breakers Action+tower defense eshop game. Demo May 10th. Release May 24th.

(2:46) Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story+ Bowser Jr's Journey Available 2019.

(3:48) Detective Pikachu New XL Detective Pikachu Amiibo at 5.3in. Both release March 23,2018.

(4:51) Luigi Mansion 3DS Remake Mansion map displayed on bottom screen, new boss rush mode. 2018.

Switch

(6:15) Kirby Star Allies Legacy characters as friends: Bandana Waddle Dee, King Dedede, Meta Knight. Post-launch updates will add Rick, Kine & Coo, Marx, and Gooey. First free update March 26th.

(7:29) Okami HD Brush strokes use touch screen controls in portable, motion controls in docked. Eshop only. Releases this summer.

(8:34) Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido 3DS/Switch simultaneous release June 8.

(9:31) Octopath Traveler Shows off 2 protagonists(Tressa the merchant and Alfyn the Apothecary), multiclassing, and special edition. Releases July 13.

(11:44) Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes Collection of 7 different game titles including an action, racing and puzzle game. Co-op multiplayer. Adventure mode with a new story. 2018.

(12:49) Dark Souls: Remastered Network test before launch. Solaire of Astora Amiibo. Allows you to perform praise the sun gesture ingame. Both release May 25th.

(13:57) Talks about mynintendo coins.

(14:28) Mario Tennis Aces More than 15 playable characters(including Chompy) w/ unique characteristics. 4 new special techniques using the energy gauge and a new defensive blocking technique. Can play classic tennis with all special techs turned off. Will have online tourneys with participation bonuses like special outfits+additional characters. Optional “swing mode” to use motion controls for all your swings. There will be a pre-launch online tournament for all Switch owners to try. Releases June 22, 2018.

(20:33) Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker for 3DS+Switch New levels based on Mario Odyssey(New Donk City shown). Switch has co-op mode. 3DS has 3D and touchscreen controls. Releases July 13.

(21:42) Undertale No release date.

(22:25) Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy July 10.

(23:21) Little Nightmares: Complete Edition All DLC included. Exclusive Pac-man mask with Pac-man Amiibo. Releases May 18th.

(24:26) South Park: The Fractured But Whole April 24th.

(25:35) Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition May 18th.

(26:02) Announces Arms online tourney Preliminaries in online ranked mode March 8-18. Top 8 online finals on March 31st. Finals live streamed. Finalists will receive custom art piece made by the devs.

(26:50) Arms 3-day Testpunch March 31st

(27:00) Producers of Arms and Splatoon at GDC March 21st

(27:14) Splatoon 2 version 3.0 coming April. 100+ new gear, new stages, new rank X

(28:28) Splatoon 2 single player DLC, “OctoExpansion.” After completing, can play as octolings online. Releases summer. $19.99.

(32:57) Smash teaser with inklings. Link has botw appearance. 2018.

From Nintendoeverthing:

Nintendo will hold a new Nintendo Direct presentation tomorrow, the company has just announced.

The presentation will air at the following times:

– 2 PM PT
– 5 PM ET
– 10 PM in the UK
– 11 PM in Europe

Nintendo says that that the presentation will be about 30 minutes long, offering the latest information on both Switch and 3DS. Expect news on Mario Tennis Aces and more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news! Hopefully this Direct'll be proof that they're not slacking this year. A bit of a shame they're still mentioning 3DS though. Bury that thing, Nintendo.

thelawof4

Maybe we will get some news about the online features of the Switch or some firmware updates? Could be interesting.

Fbh

Looking forward to this.
I'm hoping for a Release date for Octopath Traveler.

And hopefully some announcements that aren't WiiU ports. This year is looking disappointingly weak so far for those of us that own a WiiU and don't like buying ports for $60

dolabla

Would like to see the NSMB games brought to the Switch, along with some new announcements. Hopefully they surprise us.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Labo Labo Labo, will be the focus and a few games shown before, Dark Souls footage and then I think more on MP4 and then one more thing.

Good news! Hopefully this Direct'll be proof that they're not slacking this year. A bit of a shame they're still mentioning 3DS though. Bury that thing, Nintendo.
Why exactly should Nintendo " Bury that thing" ?
  • Because is a popular console that has amassed an incredible catalogue of exclusive games?
  • Because in that catalogue a gamer can found genres that are mostly forgotten by big console publishers?
  • Because is the budget entry into Nintendo's ecosystem?
  • Or maybe because it allows gamers an easy way to play almost the entire library of a console released 14 years ago?
Seriously this is the type of grudges and morbid thinking in this hobby i will never understand. Is not like any of NIntendo main teams is working in 3DS exclusive content. But i guess we should help the noble eBay scalpers some years from now in the case we want to revisit some 3DS games again.

Anyways, probably a Direct centered around in fleshing out some of the announced stuff in the mini. Then April follows with a more in depth look at Labo. Then may goes by, E3 arraives in June to give the whole picture for the 2nd half of the year.

Last edited:

kunonabi

There are still a couple 3DS localizations I'd like to see so hopefully we get some of those. Nintendo's 1st party stuff has been mostly rubbish since hey pikmin and miitopia so im not that interested in anything from them.

3DS version of Dragon Quest XI would be aces.

ehead

3DS still hanging on there. I guess Diablo 3 will be actually released on the Switch, huh? I wonder what other Activision/Blizzard games will be coming to the Switch.

Andyliini

Right out of the blue, didn't think they would actually annouce one today. Then again, they always announce these Directs when I least expect it. It looks like there will be rapid-fire announcements for 3DS and Switch, with a longer section for Mario Tennis Aces in the middle, as that has been their format for these new types of Directs. They'll probably show some Detective Pikachu -content, and maybe mention Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux and some of the other 3rd party titles that haven't still released. Yo-Kai Watch 3 perhaps?

As for Switch, I don't really know. They probably have some new titles, though they are probably ports of older games. I do not expect to see Labo here. Octopath Traveler and The World Ends With You could get release dates, but Yoshi is probably saved for E3. I hope to see surprises, and I'm still hoping for New Super Mario All-Stars for Switch, with all four games remade in NSMBU's engine. Also, Paper Mario 64 could do with a remake, it has not aged very well. And yeah, many are hungry for new Odyssey content, so they could announce a Season Pass for that game too, with new worlds, Moons and such.

3DS still hanging on there. I guess Diablo 3 will be actually released on the Switch, huh? I wonder what other Activision/Blizzard games will be coming to the Switch.
Exactly, this is a good point i' ve stressing since that Mini happened.

If you are a 3rd party with some sort of "big" game or port beggining and first half of 2018 is the perfect time for your game. As an example, Bethesda should have held on Doom for around this time and release a more polished version of the game that wasn't contending with other 1st party software for attention.

Do wonder if Wolfestine will make the direct and if it will be released in the first Half of the year.

Shini42

Finally! GTAV bundled with RDR2, Overwatch 2 as a Switch exclusive and we would have another 5-10 min. to announse new Zelda!

NovumAngel

Banned
I've learned that it's usually just best to sit back and avoid speculation, it's harder to be disappointed that way when X doesn't appear.

But saying that I do hope we'll see some Dragon Quest.

Masagiwa

Didn't Square Enix say they were going to announce some dates near April? This might be it. Octopath and maybe Dragon Quest?

Last edited:
The thing is 7 years old. It has had a good run, but they really should shift their focus to their new platform. The Switch, being a handheld and home console in one, can fill the same role the 3DS had. Any game announced for 3DS (and not Switch) is a waste of Nintendo's time and resources now, in my humble opinion.

NovumAngel

Banned
The thing is 7 years old. It has had a good run, but they really should shift their focus to their new platform. The Switch, being a handheld and home console in one, can fill the same role the 3DS had. Any game announced for 3DS (and not Switch) is a waste of Nintendo's time and resources now, in my humble opinion.
Nice that you edited out the rest of his post that had a reasonable explaination.

Honestly the 3DS is doing no harm, some games come out for it here and there by 3rd parties and smaller Nintendo teams, with no detriment to anything coming out to the Switch.

jdforge

Banned
I’m hyped! Please Capgods announce a port of RE4 HD for Switch. My life will then be complete.

Hoping to see more about Mario Tennis too and some 3rd party announcements.

KevinKeene

Banned
Expectations:

- Diablo 3 port
- Mario Tennis blowout
- Wolfenstein 2 release date

Hope:

- Fire Emblem Switch revealed, May release
- Xenoblade Chronicles X remaster
- Dragon Quest 11 Switch revealed, western release announced (same as PS4 version)
- GTA5 port announcement

• Because is a popular console that has amassed an incredible catalogue of exclusive games?
  • Because in that catalogue a gamer can found genres that are mostly forgotten by big console publishers?
  • Because is the budget entry into Nintendo's ecosystem?
  • Or maybe because it allows gamers an easy way to play almost the entire library of a console released 14 years ago?
Seriously this is the type of grudges and morbid thinking in this hobby i will never understand. Is not like any of NIntendo main teams is working in 3DS exclusive content. But i guess we should help the noble eBay scalpers some years from now in the case we want to revisit some 3DS games again.

Anyways, probably a Direct centered around in fleshing out some of the announced stuff in the mini. Then April follows with a more in depth look at Labo. Then may goes by, E3 arraives in June to give the whole picture for the 2nd half of the year.

3DS is a bad system in the year 2018. Atlus should be ashamed about making SMT and Radiant Historia 3DS-games imstead of beautiful, clean looking Switch-titles. :)

Also if Switch gets nothing but labo before E3, that'd be terrible.

Nice that you edited out the rest of his post that had a reasonable explaination.

Honestly the 3DS is doing no harm, some games come out for it here and there by 3rd parties and smaller Nintendo teams, with no detriment to anything coming out to the Switch.
Didn't think it was necessary to counter his arguments, especially since they aren't unique to the 3DS in any way. The old system always has a large library of games. The old system is always more affordable than the new one. The old system often has features the new one will lack. But the old has to die in order for the new to thrive. Like I said, I consider every game announced for 3DS to be a waste now. I'd rather Nintendo work to introduce all the things that made the 3DS great, to the Switch.

NovumAngel

Banned
Didn't think it was necessary to counter his arguments, especially since they aren't unique to the 3DS in any way. The old system always has a large library of games. The old system is always more affordable than the new one. The old system often has features the new one will lack. But the old has to die in order for the new to thrive. Like I said, I consider every game announced for 3DS to be a waste now. I'd rather Nintendo work to introduce all the things that made the 3DS great, to the Switch.
In most circumstances I'd probably agree with most of this but Nintendo have mentioned several times in the past that, for the time being at least, that they plan to have the Switch and 3DS co-exist, so to see a few announcement here and there isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

Hoho. Some dude had sources saying this would happen and also mentioned PS5 dev kits already being in the wild, wonder if he's right about that as well.

iconmaster

Banned
While I do think Smash for Switch is coming this year, I wouldn't expect it to be announced this early. More of an E3 thing.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Maybe we will get some news about the online features of the Switch or some firmware updates? Could be interesting.

This is what I am hoping. I would like more information on the Online, any new firmware updates (Achievements/Trophies please?), and things such as Netflix being announced.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hoping for some details about their online services.

A solid release date for Octopath Traveler would be nice too.

Last edited:

Yagami_Sama

Finally.

But I will try to maintain my expectations as low as possible, because I think that, most of the topics will be updates on already announced games that, might be release prior to, or a little bit after E3, by the end of June. I wish that they inform the release date for Wolfenstein 2, like next month, it almost guarantee that they will announce the release date of the new Mario Tennis and US release date for Hyrule Warriors Definitive edition and for a few other games announced in the last Direct, like Ys VIII, which Amazon list it for June.

It would be good if they show something for the new Fire Emblem, but I guessing this will be only revealed on E3 and the same goes to Pokemon, Bayonetta 3 e Metroid Prime 4.

With recent confirmation from Eurogamer that Diablo 3 will be released for Switch, I think that this direct might be a good place to announce it. Also would be cool if Fallout or The Evil Within were announced for the console too.

When can we expect a revised switch ? Contemplating to buy one but dont want to feel gutted if they release a revised version in a year or two ?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This just might wishful thinking but I would love see gameplay trailer for SMTV.

RPGCrazied

Probably not going to be anything spectacular. I'd love to see Metroid Prime 4 and that SMT game, but I know we aren't going to be that lucky.

Codes 208

Im still not holding my breath on gta5. Realistically if we hear of a third party announcement, it'd be fallout 4 or another bethesda/ubisoft title.

I have several "im hoping to see" from this direct.
-pokemon (if it truly is slated for this year, we should hear about it soon)
-some more wii u ports like mario maker, sm3dw, ssb4, WWhd and TPhd.
-and of course virtual console.

Zannegan

Oh man, I love Directs. I don't expect many big announcements--the timing of this Direct makes me think it will mostly show off games we already know are coming--but these things are always fun to watch regardless. As a lurker, I always had Gaf open during Directs for hot-takes and live reactions. It's always a good time.

I wish Microsoft and Sony would start producing semi-regular shows for their announcements. I enjoyed their PS4/XB1 reveal shows at the start of the gen, so you know they could do the format justice, and the hype-to-letdown cycle that every Direct and E3 brings is always a fun ride.

I wonder if, logistically, games get more attention announced all at once or spread out in individual press releases. Clearly, there's something to be said for the all-at-once approach or else Sony and Microsoft wouldn't take part in E3. That's an industry-wide event though. Does the same principle apply to single-company events? Does having multiple Direct-style presentations reduce the impact that a once per year show like E3 enjoys? I bet Nintendo has some interesting data, but they aren't sharing.

Top Bottom