• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Direct March 08

sssssszzzzz

Neo Member
I personally would welcome the launch of Virtual Console, more details on the online service and (possibly) an ambassador programme so that early adopters can transfer their old virtual titles from Wii U/3DS. Xbox backwards compatibility has spoiled me, I guess.... It would be a dream come true.

Looking forward to Mario Tennis, but I am mostly expecting third-party related news apart from it. Kimishima stated this year thirds would be very important and we've only seen glimpses on what is to come, I think.

Didn't think it was necessary to counter his arguments, especially since they aren't unique to the 3DS in any way. The old system always has a large library of games. The old system is always more affordable than the new one. The old system often has features the new one will lack. But the old has to die in order for the new to thrive. Like I said, I consider every game announced for 3DS to be a waste now. I'd rather Nintendo work to introduce all the things that made the 3DS great, to the Switch.
A rather superficial assesment of the situation. Basically applying canned judgement ignoring the special cirscuntances that might apply to an specific case.
  • Nintendo's competitors have nearly hit 200 price points when considering included bundles and store discounts. Why lose the opportunity to adress the lower expending portion of the market by encapsulating yourself in the upwards 300 segment and leave the other 2 the complete pie?
  • Related to the above, not only they would limiting their buyer spectrum but they would be doing so for a console that has been supply constrained.
  • 3DS and Switch are sufficintly different products to co exist for some time without mayor issues. One features a 2 screen interface and on top of it the majority are capable of auto stereoscopic 3d support, 2 rarities in consumer electronics. So indeed very unique products.
  • Furthering the above they are co existing at vastly different price ranges.
  • "But the old has to die in order for the new to thrive." Would be a good point if Nintendo was dividing efforts to support both systems, which is not the case. Further more, the statement is proven wrong when one of them is "thriving" more than any other Nintendo home console so far. So in conclusion one isn't taking wind away from the main system sails.
  • Sony supported PS and PS2 consoles for a decade. This was always met with good eyes by the consumers and praise for Sony.
  • The Switch is not backwards compatible with DS or 3DS games, 2 systems that sold 220 million consoles combined. Again why is it good for the consumer for Nintendo to stop selling 3DS systems?
  • Nintendo has indeed ditched the redundant product from it's pipeline, the Wii U. If we were talking about Nintendo splitting efforts to support it then claims/demands for it's burial would have some weight.
But it seems i must be talking of base here, it's a relief no one wasted time making counter points >:-D

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
As much as I want see more info on SMTV, I don't think gonna get it but at very least I would be really happy if they announce TMS#FE for Switch. Atlus and Nintendo, please just do this for me.

source.gif

Last edited:
Again why is it good for the consumer for Nintendo to stop selling 3DS systems?
I don't think they should stop selling 3DS systems, though an affordable Switch would be preferable. It's fine if the 3DS is kept around as a budget option for a while (though at €190 for the N3DSXL + additional cost for a charger, I don't think it fills that role all that well either) but it's pointless to expand its software library anymore. New games announced now are not going to suddenly convince people to buy a 3DS. The Switch, however, does still need to build a library of games. They had a great start, but 2018 isn't looking so hot right now, which is why people are so happy about this Direct announcement. The most appealing thing about the Switch for many people, was that Nintendo would finally put all their weight behind a singular platform. As long as they keep talking about, and developing for the 3DS, this wish hasn't come true. Which is why I want them to bury the 3DS.

Last edited:

Baleoce

As for last gen ports, Mario Maker Deluxe would be really nice. For a new announcement I'd like them to bring back Golden Sun and F-Zero.

Osukaa

I'm asking for alot I know but I really want an achievement system to be announced lol. What would really blow my mind would be a New Fire Emblem announcement.

I don't think they should stop selling 3DS systems, though an affordable Switch would be preferable.
Stop selling? No at all, many just think they should "bury" them. But for a good cause probably, like land fill to extend coast line of Japan.
InterMusketeer said:
It's fine if the 3DS is kept around as a budget option for a while (though at €190 for the N3DSXL + additional cost for a charger, I don't think it fills that role all that well either) but it's pointless to expand its software library anymore.
target101uom.jpg

target101uom.jpg

Never mind that there's a 100 dollar difference and even 125 with a Switch, since the XL usually retails for 175 . Is like discussing the viability of the Xbox brand and argue that MS should pack it's bags home because at U.S. 560 entry point the cost is too steep. Disengenous is the least the argument would be called.

New games announced now are not going to suddenly convince people to buy a 3DS. The Switch, however, does still need to build a library of games.
New games would sell to the substantial 3DS user base still? Taking Japan as an example the DQXI PS4 version hasn't yet surpassed the 3DS one, funny enough the 3DS version was an after taught. >:-D

They had a great start, but 2018 isn't looking so hot right now, which is why people are so happy about this Direct announcement. The most appealing thing about the Switch for many people, was that Nintendo would finally put all their weight behind a singular platform. As long as they keep talking about, and developing for the 3DS, this wish hasn't come true. Which is why I want them to bury the 3DS.
Why keep ignoring reality? This has been answered since the first time the conversation was engaged. More over, non of the points haven been adressed properly. Just ignored or hand waved.

Anyway, the arguments are still there if anyone is interested to properly taken them on.

Apologies for the slight derail. Yet the Direct will have a part dedicated to 3DS so maybe is not one at all?

Last edited:
Predictions

Wind Waker HD for switch: Q3-Q4
Fire Emblem switch: Q4
Advance Wars 3DS: Q3
Pushmo switch: Q4
Metroid Prime 4 info
3ds will have GBA titles added to VC
Wonderful 101 switch: Q3

As much as I want see more info on SMTV, I don't think gonna get it but at very least I would be really happy if they announce TMS#FE for Switch. Atlus and Nintendo, please just do this for me.

I can't find it but there was a Japanese article recently where Atlus said that they've just now gotten into the meat of developing the game. I think they said something along the lines that you shouldn't expect to see anything about SMT V for quite a long time.

More over, non of the points haven been adressed properly. Just ignored or hand waved.
Because I'm not that interested in a dicussion with you. I don't think there's much value in them dragging along the 3DS, and you do. I could argue all day about why I think that, but I don't really want to. We'll have to agree to disagree, and Nintendo will do whatever they want anyway.

staen

I'm expecting more from third parties than Nintendo for this direct.

Possible new third party announcements:

South Park: Fractured But Whole+Stick of Truth
This has been rumored for awhile since this tweet last year, and then a retailer listing popping up for a Switch version and because the Snowdrop engine was ported to the Switch from Mario+Rabbids. Seems like a reasonable port to expect.

Diablo 3
Even though Eurogamer confirmed the rumors, that same source said this wasn't suppose to be announced for awhile so who knows if it'll be shown in this direct. Maybe they'll just announce it earlier since it's been leaked, but I'm leaning towards an E3 announcement.

Call of Duty
CoD has been rumored and been on every Nintendo system since the Wii so this guaranteed to be announced at some point in time.

Assassin's Creed
Ubisoft and Nintendo seem like they have a good relationship so I wouldn't be surprised about this. Not sure if there's been any actual rumors, but the official Assassin's Creed twitter account did retweet a pic during those series of retweets of the Chibi-robo on fire from NoA.

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Possibly leaked.

League of Legends
I have never played this game and know almost nothing about it or how well it would work on Switch and don't really have much reason to believe it will come to Switch but Riot Games were also part of the series of chibi-robo on fire retweets so just throwing this out there.

Dragon Ball Fighter Z
XV2 exceeded expectations. Bound to happen. Thinking they'll wait until after blazblu cross tag battle releases though.

GTA V
Maybe some feel this is too big of a thing to announce in an earlier direct and not E3, but Nintendo has had some big announcements in non-E3 directs before so it's possible.

SaGa Scarlet Graces
Ok so there's no basis for this one other than personal desire. Please don't leave this to die on the Vita.

Known third party games

Project Octopath Traveler
Probably a new trailer+release date. Maybe show off some more unique traits of the other characters not playable in the demo. Also, a new title? The current title was a “working title” but I'm actually okay with the title as is.

Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
Originally slated for EARLY 2018 ,they must have some gameplay to show by now. I don't think it'll be quite what people expect though considering people thought this would be NMH3. Everything points to it being on a much smaller scale.

SMT V
My most anticipated Switch title, but I don't see it happening. In a recent famitsu interview, the producer said to not expect any news from this game for some time.

Wolfenstein II
Release date before E3 would probably be a good idea since there aren't any major releases to compete with.

Dragon Quest XI
I remember the devs had some technical hurdles possibly due to using a different version of UE4(PS4 version built on UE4.13, Switch on UE4.15), but hopefully they've been making good progress on the Switch version and aiming for a simultaneous western release with the PS4 version. Announcement of Switch release in the direct, followed by a SE PR statement for the PS4 version after.

“Tales of” Port
On Namco Bandai's FY 2017 report, they listed a Tales of game being released on the Switch before the next FY(begins April 1st,2018). Not sure if it's going to make it with such a short window for release now but everything points to a port of some kind anyway so an announcement is at least likely.

New Story of Seasons
I think this was announced before the Switch was even released but we still haven't seen anything from it yet. The more recent trend on the 3DS games has been 2 years between each new release. The last SoS game was released in 2016.

Bayonetta 3
Think it's too soon for a trailer or another teaser.

Nintendo

Super Mario Odyssey new content/DLC
From the recent datamine, we know there are at least 12 more costumes to unlock in the game. I'm thinking they are either a part of new DLC or new free modes like Balloon World. Boos are strangely absent from the game and there have been recent rumors of a Luigi's Mansion Kingdom DLC. Don't know how credible the source of those rumors are, but it seems something that would make a lot of sense. Isle Delfino DLC is another possibility since bloopers are noticeably absent and we have a Mario Sunshine costume already.

Mario Tennis Aces
“Spring 2018”, but there was a recent Amazon Spain listing that dated it for June 22, which would actually make it a post-E3 release. Possibly delaying it to give more opportunity for bigger third party games? Should show up in the direct regardless. I felt slightly better from this initial trailer than I did Mario Tennis Ultra which looked bare bones from the start. Just hoping for a decent amount of content+solid mechanics.

Fire Emblem
A teaser with a new subtitle showing off the main characters/world. No release date.

Pokken Tournament DX DLC
Still need to show off Blastoise I guess.

Pokemon
Nope.

Metroid Prime 4
Haha no.

More Wii U Ports!
-I think XCX will eventually happen but won't be announced during this direct. Hasn't been that long since XC2.
-if this direct IS about their online, then I could see Smash Bros DX being announced. Otherwise, not yet.
-I was thinking about that new “8-bit cap” costume datamined from Mario Odyssey. I could see Nintendo tying in the release of the costume somehow with the release of a Mario Maker port.

Nintendo's Online Service
They recently updated mynintendo so you'll earn more gold coins and can spend those coins in the eshop but for some reason removed the “Switch rewards coming soon” from the mynintendo page. I'm assuming they're tying in Switch rewards with their online service somehow because mynintendo is kind of shit right now for Switch owners. I'm thinking Nintendo will allow you to win Switch rewards on mynintendo by playing games through their online service.

3DS Stuff
-Localizations for some of these: DQXI, Jokers 3, Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2, Yokai Watch 3
-trailer for that new Etrian Odyssey game
-some smaller scale Nintendo game similar to those Kirby spinoffs or Hey Pikmin

ilfait

Mario Tennis Aces
“Spring 2018”, but there was a recent Amazon Spain listing that dated it for June 22, which would actually make it a post-E3 release. Possibly delaying it to give more opportunity for bigger third party games? Should show up in the direct regardless. I felt slightly better from this initial trailer than I did Mario Tennis Ultra which looked bare bones from the start. Just hoping for a decent amount of content+solid mechanics.
I have almost no optimism left for this. There hasn't been a great Mario Tennis since 64, and I can't imagine the series ever recovering.

staen

I have almost no optimism left for this. There hasn't been a great Mario Tennis since 64, and I can't imagine the series ever recovering.
I haven't actually played much of the Mario Tennis games aside from the N64 version either. What were wrong with the other games?

Edit: Well I did briefly play the GCN version too. I remember them adding gimmicky super moves that I was not fond of. There looks like there's a meter in Aces too...

Last edited:

Tabasco

I haven't actually played much of the Mario Tennis games aside from the N64 version either. What were wrong with the other games?
The Gamecube and GBA games were actually not bad at all.

The series only gets its criticism from the recent releases like the 3DS and Wii U ones.

ilfait

Edit: Well I did briefly play the GCN version too. I remember them adding gimmicky super moves that I was not fond of. There looks like there's a meter in Aces too...
They completely ruined the physics and stripped out the nuanced movement, I assume with the intention of making them easier for anyone to get the hang of; 64 required a bit of skill to get into position for a good shot. It doesn't feel fun or satisfying to hit the ball or move around. Beyond that I don't have a strong opinion on other changes and additions since 64 because I can't stand playing the games (yet I still try them all, just in case). I love a good tennis game.

Wunray

I also wouldn't mind a skyward sword HD remaster, despite being a weaker Zelda entry it was still a good game.

Yagami_Sama

Dragon Quest XI news would be great. The localization of the 3DS version or a few details of the Switch version would be great. The thing was the first game announced for the Switch and no knows nothing about it

And if they announce Advance Wars for 3DS people will riot.

Codes 208

Actually, i wouldnt be surprised to see some footage of recently revealed games like the naruto trilogy and maybe a confirmation of dbfz for switch

Honestly just gonna go by what the twitter user that guessed/leaked the actual direct is saying. If all true will be an ok show.

My dream is Metroid Prime Trilogy HD with twin stick, gyro, and classic control options, but it's all just a dream. :(

Surprised this was announced tonight instead of at the direct tomorrow.

NovumAngel

Banned
Man only 74 replies in a Nintendo Direct thread. Welp, you sow the wind then reap the whirlwind so some say.
I wouldn't really be too worried about it, it's better than having the same information repeated over and over again like some other places. It's easier to digest everything here.

Last edited:
Hope they surprise me with something big n brand new. But I'm getting some blue ocean strategy vibes again as of late, so if it's Nintendo Labo tier stuff that'd be disappointing.

Wunray

Yeah it really is, I bought the switch primarily as a home console but I find myself using it in undocked mode more and more.

NovumAngel

Banned
Dungeon Travellers worked well on Vita, no reason for Etrian Odyseey to sit on a high horse.
Not so much a high horse, the games have been on 3/DS for years and comfortably so especially because of the 2 screen set up for drawing and making your maps.

Top Bottom