• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 7 Pre-order for >50% off until July 11

Zzoram

Canada, USA, Japan promotion ends July 11.

Europe promotion is selling the full retail editions for slightly more than Upgrade in USA, and it starts July 11.

Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Edition (requires activated XP or Vista install, but allows clean install once it confirms) is US$50, CAN$65 at Best Buy and Amazon. Regular price will be $120.

Although it is called Upgrade, you can do a clean install with it, but you have to install and activate XP or Vista first, so it can confirm you are already a customer. It will then give you the option to wipe your machine and do a fresh install.

Why is this relevent to gaming?

Windows 7 will have DX10 and DX11, matching or exceeding Vista's gaming functionality, but with less bloat. Windows 7 is less of a resource hog than Vista, and runs much better on Netbooks. Windows 7 uses a newer revision of the Vista driver model, but isn't a dramatic redesign like the jump from XP to Vista, so anything that works in Vista currently will work in Windows 7.

The promotion ends July 11. For people who have high end machines still running XP, this is a great price for access to DX10 and DX11, along with a quality 64-bit OS (you can pick 32-bit or 64-bit, both on same DVD).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DHLUWK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9382697&type=product&id=1218095770599

FrankT

Yup, already got mine. Newegg ftw, $50 no tax and free shipping. Good to be skipping Vista and going straight to Windows 7 from XP for over half off. It just seems right and I love 7 compared to XP.

mj1108

TheKingsCrown said:
I am a sad Vista owner, and I am on the fence on this one. I am angry with Microsoft. :(

I've been running the RC and it is actually really, really nice. It's what Vista should have been.

Zachack

So if I bought Vista 64 OEM when I had my PC constructed, can I buy the cheap upgrade? I kept seeing conflicting information.

jsrv

The Full editions are not 50% off. I'm not sure if OEM are eligible for the upgrade since they require the previous OS installed

Can someone please post the differences between Windows 7 versions? I'm using vista ultimate at the moment and am considering Windows 7 ultimate.

Leatherface

jsrv said:
The Full editions are not 50% off. I'm not sure if OEM are eligible for the upgrade since they require the previous OS installed

If that's the case F that. I've learned from past mistakes to never run an "upgrade" OS. Full version only for me. Windows 7 is really nice though I have to admit.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
after seeing that europe is getting charged approximately double the price of windows 7 in america, i'm going to use my companies technet subscription to test the most expensive version for ever.

Suck it MS.

Zzoram

Leatherface said:
If that's the case F that. I've learned from past mistakes to never run an "upgrade" OS. Full version only for me. Windows 7 is really nice though I have to admit.

It isn't an upgrade on the previous install, although that is an option. If it verifies that you have a legitimate Windows XP or Vista activation, it will give you the option of a fresh install with Windows 7.

FrankT

Zachack said:
So if I bought Vista 64 OEM when I had my PC constructed, can I buy the cheap upgrade? I kept seeing conflicting information.

Upgrade to Windows 7
All editions of Windows XP and Windows Vista qualify you to upgrade.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Premium-Upgrade/dp/B002DHLUWK/ref=br_lf_m_1286119011_1_1_img?ie=UTF8&s=software&pf_rd_p=482288051&pf_rd_s=right-4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=1286119011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1SVHCY0HTCRW66WYDREX

Running Windows Vista?
If you have Windows Vista, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. You can do a clean install (back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications) or an in -place upgrade (Windows 7 installs over Windows Vista).

Running Earlier Versions?
If you have Windows XP or Windows 2000, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. But you must back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications.

http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Home-Premium-Upgrade/product/B0F9E641#ctl13_tcla_a

Not seeing any caveats here but I could be wrong.

Zzoram

Visualante said:
Just what I want. To have to go into game threads and ask "does this work on 64 bit 7?"

I'll wait a year or two.

You won't have to do that. I have been using Vista 64 since it came out, and I have never had a single game incompatibility. I recognize that a select few old, old games have trouble working, but they are not likely to be games you will be buying anyways.

Starcraft works in Vista 64, and it's from 1998.

XP64 is garbage for compatibility, Vista 64 is great for compatibility.

Zzoram

Jamesfrom818 said:
I kinda want to get this but I'm probably just going to buy a new notebook in a year.

This promotion benefits most the people who build their own machines, or people who don't plan to buy a new PC for several years because they already own a top of the line. People who plan on buying a new prebuilt notebook or PC in the near future will be getting Windows 7 anyways.

Minsc

Gold Member
Visualante said:
I don't believe you. Plus I need Maya to be stable so I'll wait.

You would think the high-end graphics programs would have jumped on the 64-bit bandwagon a long time ago.

As far as gaming goes, 64-bit compatibility = 32-bit compatibility for quite some time now. You'd be hard pressed to find more than a couple games that are problematic any more.

Zzoram

Minsc said:
You would think the high-end graphics programs would have jumped on the 64-bit bandwagon a long time ago.

As far as gaming goes, 64-bit compatibility = 32-bit compatibility for quite some time now. You'd be hard pressed to find more than a couple games that are problematic any more.

Your avatar just reminded me, even Baldur's Gate 2 works in Vista. I tried it myself.

Minsc said:

It has 64 bit support, I just don't trust Windows to support it out of the gate just like that. I haven't tried the release candidate- I'm considering it, but shit like people having problems with games such as TF2 in the GAF thread. and having to find the best drivers that work. I really can't be bothered when what I have works.

LiK

gonna pass. i'll let the early adopters deal with the problems that are inherent with all Windows OSes. i'm also for a full version without a need for the previous OS to work. i'll probably get it when i build a new PC.

Zzoram

Visualante said:
It has 64 bit support, I just don't trust Windows to support it out of the gate just like that. I haven't tried the release candidate- I'm considering it, but shit like people having problems with games such as TF2 in the GAF thread. and having to find the best drivers that work. I really can't be bothered when what I have works.

TF2 works fine in Vista 64.

The Windows 7 drivers out now are all in beta, so if they aren't perfect months before release, that's no reason to skip Windows 7.

Vista beta drivers right up to launch were HORRIBLE, especially nVidia's, but when Vista launched, all games from 1998 or newer were working great for me.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
LiK said:
gonna pass. i'll let the early adopters deal with the problems that are inherent with all Windows OSes. i'm also for a full version without a need for the previous OS to work. i'll probably get it when i build a new PC.
The RC has been great, I don't think Windows 7 will have the same problems as previous Windows.

LiK

Windu said:
The RC has been great, I don't think Windows 7 will have the same problems as previous Windows.

yea, i heard good things but i really don't have a need to upgrade until i build a new PC. have fun with the new OS boys.

larvi

Yeah, I'm not liking the requirement to have to install XP first to use this for a clean install. If I build a new computer a few years down the road with cutting edge tech there's a good chance that I won't be able to find XP drivers for some of the hardware which may make an XP install impossible or more work than I want. That would be similar to trying to find W2K or Win98 drivers today.

womfalcs3

Banned
I just ordered a computer for my brother, and it comes with a free upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista.

Hopefully I can use that one disc to upgrade all my computers, as well.

larvi said:
Yeah, I'm not liking the requirement to have to install XP first to use this for a clean install. If I build a new computer a few years down the road with cutting edge tech there's a good chance that I won't be able to find XP drivers for some of the hardware which may make an XP install impossible or more work than I want. That would be similar to trying to find W2K or Win98 drivers today.

This is only for the discounted upgrade SKU. Obviously you can buy a full version Windows that you can install on blank HDD's.

If you have Vista, that will also work I believe. All Windows is going to do is check to make sure there's already a copy of Windows on there, and thus you qualify for an upgrade.

Zzoram

larvi said:

You just have to get XP to authenticate, you don't even have to install video drivers. All you need to authenticate is to plug an ethernet cable into the back of your PC.

Zzoram

womfalcs3 said:
I just ordered a computer for my brother, and it comes with a free upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista.

Hopefully I can use that one disc to upgrade all my computers, as well.

You can only use it to upgrade 1 computer at a time, since it only comes with 1 serial key.

Zinthar

pizzaguysrevenge said:
Can you upgrade from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit 7?

Yes and no...

You can use the Win7 Upgrade disc to upgrade from a 32-bit Vista installation to 64-bit Win7 installation, but you will be forced to do a clean installation for this. The only way to keep your current installation intact is to stick with 32-bit.

Of course, you could just upgrade now w/ 32-bit and then clean install 64-bit down the road -- both versions are on the disc.

womfalcs3

Banned
Zzoram said:
You can only use it to upgrade 1 computer at a time, since it only comes with 1 serial key.

Yeah, but I bought one Windows XP disc, and I kept using that on every computer I built. I used the same key.

That changed, then?

Zzoram

womfalcs3 said:
Yeah, but I bought one Windows XP disc, and I kept using that on every computer I built. I used the same key.

That changed, then?

I think the full editions allow 5 computers or something, but upgrade or OEM versions (the one that comes preinstalled on a Dell or HP etc.) do not. I'm not 100% sure.

Top Bottom