• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 7 Pre-order for >50% off until July 11

adg1034

My only question is if I can do a clean install on an empty HDD in a computer that already has XP installed. I could do it with Vista...

Zinthar

Darklord said:
Why? Vista has been fine. Better than XP.

I'm kinda ticked that Win7 is really more of a glorified service pack for Vista, with less overhead and better driver support (since it doesn't overhaul the driver system this time around).

I feel like it's more of what Vista SP2 should have been... and maybe might have been had the Vista name not already become synonymous with buggy, slow, and incompatible (mostly because of poor drivers and bloatware that's installed by most PC vendors).

Tenks

Zzoram said:
Vista 64 SP1 is much better than every version of XP if you have a good PC.

I disagree here. I have two very good computers (one monster gaming rig and a very nice Duo2/4GB RAM laptop) and Vista just has a tendency to crash repeatedly, it often times doesn't awake from sleep state and overall runs slower than XP. I am not at all happy with Vista and cannot wait to get rid of it.

Zzoram

adg1034 said:
My only question is if I can do a clean install on an empty HDD in a computer that already has XP installed. I could do it with Vista...

Did you do it with a Vista Upgrade edition?

Zzoram

Tenks said:
I disagree here. I have two very good computers (one monster gaming rig and a very nice Duo2/4GB RAM laptop) and Vista just has a tendency to crash repeatedly, it often times doesn't awake from sleep state and overall runs slower than XP. I am not at all happy with Vista and cannot wait to get rid of it.

You mean Vista on laptop has sleep problems? My Vista 64 desktop never sleeps or crashes. Crashes are generally not a Windows issue anymore anyways, it's the software you run. All I do is play games, use Firefox and WMP10 to listen to podcasts, and my machine has never crashed using Vista since launch. I leave my computer on 24/7 with occasional restarts from updates.

Zzoram said:
Europe gets a promotion starting in July.
Kintaco said:
Europe gets it in July 11 I believe.
Sweet.

Ah, only 37.5% off. But I guess the trade off is we'll get full retail versions rather than an upgrade. Only announced for the UK, Germany and France though. So unless something happens in the near future, here's to importing.

No upgrade version in Europe and I'm pondering which version to purchase. Hmmph, virtual xp environment worth it? or anything else for that matter.

Zinthar

adg1034 said:

With the upgrade disc it may require you to install Win7 to the same partition as the XP installation, and more than likely wiping out the XP installation.

Is that what you wanted or were you trying to dual boot them? I ask because, by the time Win7 is out, there's really not a reason to have an XP installation at all unless you happen to have something extremely legacy.

Good deal.

So, what's the best way to back up and save programs/files/etc?

And am I safe since I upgraded the system to Vista and I can upgrade again to 7? Or should I start looking around?

Zinthar

MrPing1000 said:
No upgrade version in Europe and I'm pondering which version to purchase. Pro and Ultimate nearly cost the same but home is much cheaper. Hmmph, virtual xp environment worth it? or anything else for that matter.

No, not worth it unless you're building up a fairly sophisticated business network.

Home Premium should handle all of your home networking and remote desktop needs.

Zzoram

MrPing1000 said:
No upgrade version in Europe and I'm pondering which version to purchase. Pro and Ultimate nearly cost the same but home is much cheaper. Hmmph, virtual xp environment worth it? or anything else for that matter.

I would personally go for Home Premium, because an average user wouldn't need any of the business oriented features in Pro or Ultimate.

Zzoram

Alaskanbullworm said:
Good deal.

So, what's the best way to back up and save programs/files/etc?

And am I safe since I upgraded the system to Vista and I can upgrade again to 7? Or should I start looking around?

Burn them to DVD or copy them to an external hard drive. Do a virus scan before you do, so you don't back those up too :lol

I don't know about the 2nd point. I assume it would work, since all it looks for is XP or Vista installed and certified Genuine.

ymmv

Banned
I'm going to wait for a cheap educational license from slim.nl. It's probably gonna cost me about 20 euro for the Ultimate Edition just like Vista. :D

kodt

Banned
Zinthar said:
With the upgrade disc it may require you to install Win7 to the same partition as the XP installation, and more than likely wiping out the XP installation.

Is that what you wanted or were you trying to dual boot them? I ask because, by the time Win7 is out, there's really not a reason to have an XP installation at all unless you happen to have something extremely legacy.

I doubt that, I think it just asks you for your XP or Vista CD-Key during installation. You should be able to use the Upgrade version of Win7 to do a clean install.

Zinthar

Tenks said:

I have Vista 64 SP2 (previously SP1) on two very good computers as well (gaming rig - Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz / 4 GB DDR2-1000 / 4870X2; and a Sony Vaio Z - P9500 @ 2.53ghz / 4 GB DDR3 / 9300GS Mobile) and Vista is significantly faster than XP AFTER fully booting to the desktop.

I should note that I perform upkeep on cleaning/defragging my registry and all HDD's every couple of weeks, so that may be why I haven't seen a performance drop.

Also, I don't think I've ever encountered a crash under my current Vista installations (both are about a year old, so more mature drivers than when Vista first came out). I rarely have an app crash (ie Oblivion used to crash when closed under Vista), but it never crashes the entire desktop, which DOES happen often under XP. In fact, Lotus Notes crashed my entire work laptop (a 2.53ghz C2D) running XP earlier today -- had to manually restart the whole thing. Under Vista, I would have just closed it and re-opened it... and it would have opened faster because it would have been cached still.

When you switch to Win7, you're just getting a more optimized version of Vista. Sadly, the speed improvements will probably chiefly be felt on computers that were stressed badly by Vista (ie probably not yours, or mine).

FrankT

kodt said:
I doubt that, I think it just asks you for your XP or Vista CD-Key during installation. You should be able to use the Upgrade version of Win7 to do a clean install.

That would be nice because I was really expecting to have to do a clean install and wipe of my HDD from the Windows 7 beta back to XP before I throw in the upgrade. If it just asks for the XP key that would be great.

Zzoram

Jtyettis said:
That would be nice because I was really expecting to have to do a clean install and wipe of my HDD from the Windows 7 beta back to XP before I throw in the upgrade. If it just asks for the XP key that would be great.

I think it does require XP or Vista to be installed and activated (you can do this in like half an hour, you don't need to install any programs or drivers, just do a windows update and get Windows Genuine Advantage to validate).

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Visualante said:
I don't believe you. Plus I need Maya to be stable so I'll wait.
Maya is really stable on Vista 64. What is the issue you are talking about.

Zzoram said:
TF2 works fine in Vista 64.
You can't just make such claims based on your own experience. It's pretty blatant you've got a nice setup and don't get many problems. I saw in the Windows 7 thread that people (that's multiple) were having problems with TF2 frame rates on new 4800 series hardware. The solution? Play guess the best drivers.
godhandiscen said:
Maya is really stable on Vista 64. What is the issue you are talking about.
The fact that Maya might not work perfect on Windows 7 when it launches. And it might take Autodesk a while to patch it. I'm not going to pay money, without being assured that 'mission critical' software is going to work 100%.

Since no one wanted to give me an answer:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1128

win7_pro_ultimate_features_rev2.jpg

Zeliard

I want to buy the 64-bit version of Windows 7 for my next comp, but I currently have the 32-bit version of Vista Ultimate bought, so I don't know how that's going to work out exactly.

Don't you have to do a clean install of XP x64 before going to Vista or W7 x64? Is it possible to go from Vista x86 to Windows 7 x64?

Need to wait for some UK offers closer to release time, my only copy of xp was pre-installed to my brought pc and is no more now that 7 RC is over it :lol

I have to say, I thought my 6 year old XP machine use to be nimble for it's age but once I stuck a 2nd RC copy onto it it loads even faster, Windows 7 is a BEAST!

dorkimoe

Gold Member
got vista at christmas and i love it, most people who hate it tried it at launch.

still debating on upgrade version or full

Zzoram

Zeliard said:
I want to buy the 64-bit version of Windows 7 for my next comp, but I currently have the 32-bit version of Vista Ultimate bought, so I don't know how that's going to work out exactly.

Don't you have to do a clean install of XP x64 before going to Vista or W7 x64? Is it possible to go from Vista x86 to Windows 7 x64?

Yes, but it will require you to do a clean install.

B-Ri

do i need to buy a volume license or something to upgrade more then 1 system? I have vista on bootcamp on my mac and vista on a new pc in the living room, and ill jump on $50 if i can use it for both.

Zzoram

I have no idea if Upgrade works for multiple machines. My first thought is probably not, but I don't really know.

Windows 7 contains the 32-bit and 64-bit versions on the same DVD.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Zzoram said:
I have no idea if Upgrade works for multiple machines. My first thought is probably not, but I don't really know.

Windows 7 contains the 32-bit and 64-bit versions on the same DVD.

thanks kind sir

Mardil

Wait, I don't understand, is Windows 7 officially out? Or are we paying for a Windows 7 Beta that will soon turn into the complete W7 OS?

Guled

Mardil said:
Wait, I don't understand, is Windows 7 officially out? Or are we paying for a Windows 7 Beta that will soon turn into the complete W7 OS?
pre ordering. It comes out in Oct

Philthy

Dude, I got a Dell and it came preloaded with Vista64. I totally want to upgrade to Windows 7, man. However, the dudes at Dell didn't give me an install CD for Vista. Dude, If I buy Windows 7 upgrade, do the upgrade, then my radical hard drive decides to die on me, and I go buy a new one, will I be able to do a fresh full install of Windows 7 from the upgrade DVD from that point on without having to totally reinstall Vista again?

Dude?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I hope they fixed the hardware support.

My printer used to be plug and play through USB in Vista; W7 makes me download a driver manually.

My internal Bluetooth used to actually work in Vista; W7 doesn't even recognise what type of hardware it is.

Zzoram

Philthy said:
Dude, I got a Dell and it came preloaded with Vista64. I totally want to upgrade to Windows 7, man. However, the dudes at Dell didn't give me an install CD for Vista. Dude, If I buy Windows 7 upgrade, do the upgrade, then my radical hard drive decides to die on me, and I go buy a new one, will I be able to do a fresh full install of Windows 7 from the upgrade DVD?

Dude?

You can request a Vista DVD from Dell for like $10. If you are a smooth talker, and bought an expensive PC, you might get it free.

Zeliard

Guled said:
pre ordering. It comes out in Oct

If you have a copy of Vista or XP lying around, I'd strongly recommend installing the Windows 7 RC that's out right now. There's no real reason to wait if you're able to revert back to Vista or XP when the June 2010 deadline hits on the RC (and next June is quite a ways away). It's a massive improvement over Vista, even in its relatively early stage.

It is significantly more responsive, and you're likely to see a boost in performance in various games. I certainly have.

Red

I'm considering this. I'm running Vista on a 2.2 GHz core 2 duo with 3 GB RAM right now. It's very solid, but I've heard so many good things about Windows 7 that I'm seriously leaning toward buying.

Zzoram

cjelly said:
I hope they fixed the hardware support.

My printer used to be plug and play through USB in Vista; W7 makes me download a driver manually.

My internal Bluetooth used to actually work in Vista; W7 doesn't even recognise what type of hardware it is.

Windows 7 is in beta, so they probably didn't include all the preloaded drivers to keep the download smaller for testers.

dLMN8R

pancakesandsex said:
Since no one wanted to give me an answer:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1128

[/IMG]http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/win7_pro_ultimate_features_rev2.jpg[/IMG]
...VNC is free for Windows too. What are they trying to get at there?

Anyway, it's funny seeing people on the Games side of GAF suddenly making the same (incredibly flawed) arguments about Windwos 7 that everyone else was making months ago, back in January, when the beta first came out.

Just...try the RC, or stop talking about "glorified service pack" or "great, compatibility issues". You're 5 months late, and no more correct than those people were 5 months ago.

Philthy

Zzoram said:
You can request a Vista DVD from Dell for like $10. If you are a smooth talker, and bought an expensive PC, you might get it free.

Yeah, I know, but I'd rather not since that would require me actually picking up the phone and spending money for something that should have came with the computer to begin with.

dorkimoe said:
does it charge now , or when it ships?

I would like to know this as well

and that is if newegg charges right away for the pre-order or when it comes out.

also, it sucks that i bought a copy of vista home premium like 2 months ago and didnt get a free coupon for upgrade :(

I asked this in the OT thread and got no answer:

Since WMP 12 supports h.264 video files, will the PS3 now pick these up through DLNA streaming? Anyone have any idea?

Chris R

bathala said:
Can you upgrade only one computer?
I thinking of upgrading my desktop and netbook
You can upgrades as many computers as you want as long as you have enough licenses for them all.

I'll be upgrading in ~2 years, or whenever I do my next major PC build. My only use for my PC now is gaming, and my machine is running just fine with Vista.

Top Bottom