• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 7 Pre-order for >50% off until July 11

Red

rhfb said:
I'll be upgrading in ~2 years, or whenever I do my next major PC build. My only use for my PC now is gaming, and my machine is running just fine with Vista.
Mine is the same; I have virtually zero problems with the current state of Vista.

But I always find myself wanting the very best :lol

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Crunched said:
Mine is the same; I have virtually zero problems with the current state of Vista.

But I always find myself wanting the very best :lol

0 problems with my XP here too :lol I would upgrade if I was to make a new small form factor desktop pc, I don't see it happening any time soon though.

Victrix

*beard*
Quick question for anyone running the W7 RC - Does it still have Vista's ultra shitty explorer?

Specifically, does it still have the folder 'auto sensing' behavior, that likes to reset folder view settings based on contents?

Poigea

So I have never upgraded the OS on a system before...

If I go from Vista Home Premium x64 to 7 Home Premium x64 I can do an in-place upgrade? Meaning I don't have to back up any files and everything will still be there after the upgrade is complete?

Victrix

*beard*
You can, but I don't trust overlay installations at all. Maybe they've improved, but I never had a good experience with an upgrade install over a previous OS before.

Victrix said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

The two major features you'd miss out on are remote desktop hosting (which might be hackable in, it was in Vista), and WinXP virtualization.

If you don't use either, there's little reason to get pro. Ultimate has even more pointless features for most users.

Ultimate was the only way to be able to dualboot Windows on a Mac for me via Fusion, due to some draconian licensing crap I've totally forgotten about.

I still have WinXP, though it's the initial, pre-service pack release. I could still get it going through Virtual PC all the same and then update from there, right? Just in case there are any legacy programs, mainly emus, that haven't been updated to at least Vista standards.

Remote Desktop Hosting MIGHT be of use for any remote office computers, so that's a tossup.

K, I'm currently running Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I'm planning to upgrade my PC near the end of this year. Could I buy the Windows 7 64-bit upgrade, do a fresh install over my 32-bit Vista (all my hardware is 64-bit compatible), then when I upgrade my PC, re-install Windows 7 with my new hardware, seeing as I already own it?

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Pre-ordered this from Amazon yesterday the Pro-version. Fuck yeah, I am going to be build my new comp over this when it comes out. Sad sad money day when I buy all the parts.

jsrv

makingmusic476 said:
K, I'm currently running Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I'm planning to upgrade my PC near the end of this year. Could I buy the Windows 7 64-bit upgrade, do a fresh install over my 32-bit Vista (all my hardware is 64-bit compatible), then when I upgrade my PC, re-install Windows 7 with my new hardware, seeing as I already own it?

You would need to install Vista first on the new PC and then install the Windows 7 upgrade, since it requires a previous OS installed first.

Looks like it's almost time for me to finally upgrade my XP machine and go a full 64-bit and actually take advantage of my motherboard's ability to physically address more than 3GB of RAM, maybe I'll go nuts with 8GB!!

Nah, that's a bit much, I'll be happy I can finally address at least 4GB though.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Question here, I have the XP disc from my comp and will be building a new computer when I get Windows 7 pro. Ok I am going to be keeping my old computer for just stupid uses next to my new one. In order to do the upgrade I would have to install xp when I build my new one and validate it and then go with windows 7 clean install right?

jsrv said:
You would need to install Vista first on the new PC and then install the Windows 7 upgrade, since it requires a previous OS installed first.
Hrm. I'm not sure exactly where my copy of Vista ran off to. I technically downloaded it for free from TigerWare back when I was at LSU.

And the whole 32-bit > 64-bit deal wouldn't matter?

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Looks like it's almost time for me to finally upgrade my XP machine and go a full 64-bit and actually take advantage of my motherboard's ability to physically address more than 3GB of RAM, maybe I'll go nuts with 8GB!!

Nah, that's a bit much, I'll be happy I can finally address at least 4GB though.

Fuck that shit, I will be starting with 4gigs and then in the coming weeks will get 8gigs for the motherboard i plan on getting oh and crossfire too!

dfyb

Banned
Zzoram said:

Although it is called Upgrade, you can do a clean install with it, but you have to install and activate XP or Vista first, so it can confirm you are already a customer. It will then give you the option to wipe your machine and do a fresh install.
but does it remember you're a customer down the road? like a year from now, if i want to reinstall, can i wipe it from windows 7 to windows 7?

and is it only Home version or is there an option for XP pro?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Tempted. Been running XP for fucking ever (besides my Vista laptop, which I hardly use). I really need a new GPU though.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
dfyb said:
but does it remember you're a customer down the road? like a year from now, if i want to reinstall, can i wipe it from windows 7 to windows 7?

I would like to know this as well.

jsrv

dfyb said:

For XP -> Vista upgrade from ages ago it does not remember

I don't know about 7... I don't remember reading any information from Microsoft about it unfortunately. I would expect that you would still need to install the older OS first though.

Any XP version -> Any 7 upgrade version you buy is ok if I'm reading it correctly.

dfyb

Banned
jsrv said:
For XP -> Vista upgrade from ages ago it does not remember

I don't know about 7... I don't remember reading any information from Microsoft about it unfortunately. I would expect that you would still need to install the older OS first though.
that is stupid shit. i'll just get a clean copy.

mr stroke

just ordered from Amazon. I assume they won't charge until it ships since they don't do that for any of their other products. So its free for the time being and cheap if end up sticking with my current PC instead of a whole new build.

Top Bottom