• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Darabont writing and directing 'The Walking Dead' series for AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funky Papa said:
There is no casting call yet, but I can only hope a buffed out Jada Pinkett Smith.

First+Annual+Essence+Black+Women+Hollywood+-iCgQn6zLn4l.jpg

Jada would probably cost more than the entire first season has been budgeted for.

I'm genuinely excited for this; I've always wanted this to be done but never thought it would actually happen.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The Lamonster said:
I'd prefer to see lesser-known actors in this show rather than big Hollywood celebs looking to rejuvenate their careers in television.
Hey, she's the only black actress I know that could play the whole tuff-gurl thing without overdoing it (the other being Angela Bassett, but I'm afraid that even genuine badassness has an expiration date).

Slayven

I would have rather they got Crossed instead. But then again HBO is the only channel that could hope to get way with half the stuff that goes on in that book.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Baker said:
Doesn't AMC edit their content?
I don't think so. Breaking Bad is plenty explicit. It's cable so they can do whatever they want as long as they can get viewers and advertisers. Clearly they can.

pedrothelion said:
I remember reading last year that AMC was developing "Red Mars" by Kim Stanley Robinson. Has anyone heard any new info on that?
Nope, no word since it was announced last October.

way more

Tonay said:
28 Days Later could have been a great zombie film except for the demented last 15 minutes where
all the army men started dressing up that woman in frilly clothes and chased her around the house trying to rape her
. Stupidest fucking shit I ever saw in my life.

28 Weeks Later was better. Especially the scene at the start where Robert Carlyle is running th

All zombie media pretty much ends up on how humans become monsters in the face of the unstoppable hordes. The 28 Days ending simply followed that logic and I thought it was appropriate and cool. It was also sleek, bloody and featured characters with real emotion.

Now to simply say what I didn't like about The Walking Dead. I thought the characters relations with each other was hammy to the degree of a soap opera and the dialogue didn't help either.

Consider me pretty fucking stoked for this.

Decado said:
...wait. So the guy's a shitty writer (Indy 4 was awful)?

Yep the same shitty writer that gave us The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption.

Before we start casting Michonne and Tyreese, I'd imagine season one will follow the first trade and detail the whole
Rick vs. Shane
arc, no? I can't fathom them getting to
the prison
in the 1st season.

Decado said:
...wait. So the guy's a shitty writer (Indy 4 was awful)?

He didn't write the final draft that we saw; he wrote an earlier one. It was still not very good, due mainly to the fact that all the annoying things from Indy 4 were George Lucas's 'vision', and he had all of said bad ideas included in all the different drafts.

IrishNinja

wow, Charlie as Rick? Whoopi as Michonne? haha, damn. why not just cast Gina Torres as the latter and be done with it?

and yeah, i love nathan too, but i thought Aaron Eckhart was kinda obvious.

Aaron-Eckhart.jpg

gdt

I just got caught up on this series AND HOLY FUCK IT'S AWESOME.

Jesus christ I'm so hyped.

Another thought, Black And White versions for the DVD or re-airs! How fucking AWESOME would that be?

This series will be huge. Just make each episode an issue, this shit will rock.

Did you get some issues Costanza?

gdt

I forgot to mention how absolutely gut-wrenching depressing this comic is/can be. I don't know if some of the more gruesome stuff (not in terms of gore) will be moved on to the TV show.

For example (spoilers)

Theres no way that they'll kill Rick's wife and newborn baby in the show. Or that whole ordeal with the twins and Carl. Yikes.

gdt5016 said:
I would fucking love Peter Krausse as Rick. That would be the best choice. Too bad he has a show coming up.

Terry O' Quinn as Dale would be great too, he might even be done with LOST by the time shooting starts for Dale.

Summer Glau as Andrea would be perfect too.

Resettito

Neo Member
brandonh83 said:
Consider me pretty fucking stoked for this.

Yep the same shitty writer that gave us The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption.

Yep but his script was refused by Lucas, actually, he had worked for 1 year and a half on Indiana Jones' 4 script, Lucas read it, didn't like it, Darabont was fired and we know what came next, hem hem...... :D

gdt

I don't know man, the extreme focus on the characters has easily been the best thing about the series.

Like Kirkman said (in one of those letters columns), it's alot like Lost. It's not about the Zombies/Island, but about the characters in that world.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
LocoMrPollock said:
Summer Glau as Andrea would be perfect too.
I love Summer Glau. She is young, beautiful and incredibly talented, but I don't think she has Andrea's tough-as-nails screen presence. Actually she sort of comes a little indefensive in most of her roles.

gdt

Funky Papa said:
I love Summer Glau. She is young, beautiful and incredibly talented, but I don't think she has Andrea's tough-as-nails screen presence. Actually she sort of comes a little indefensive in most of her roles.

Yeah, she doesn't fit.

Lets see, who would be a good pick...

Amanda Seyfried?
Lindsay Lohan
?

Funky Papa said:

I think she can pull off the tough as nails persona quite well. The emotional stuff is what I would be more concerned about.

I just love her and Andrea is my favorite character in the comics. So it's a win win for me.

gdt5016 said:
Yeah, she doesn't fit.

Lets see, who would be a good pick...

Amanda Seyfried?
Lindsay Lohan
?

No and no.

I've racked my brain and I just can't think of a good actress for Andrea.

Will be interesting to see who they end up casting. More likely it will be an unknown.

I'm going to pick up the first few from the library and see how they are. This sounds right up my alley.
Jason's Ultimatum said:
OT, but related to AMC, anyone know the status of that new Walton Goggins show on AMC?
I haven't seen anything since the initial announcement of the development deal last year.

gdt

$37 is an incredible deal Cornballer. Trust me, just go for it.

Edit: Dammit man, I'd love an update on this show. Definitely my most anticipated show.

Raydeen

Neuromancer said:
Oh man that would have been awesome.

Yeah, you can see his a huge fan of the Carpenter flick from The Mist which has the Carpenter-like vibe and tone, not to mention the poster from The Thing in Thomas Jane's studio. Shame it looks like it's not going to happen. :| I bet even Ron Moore's ill advised prequel doesn't happen and we'll get a re-imagining...

...but Platnium Dunes or something. :|

Raydeen

The Lamonster said:
You zombie fans should check out World War Z sometime if you haven't.

Apparantly the script for the movie version was so good, Max Brooks thought it was as good as his novel. So good Hollywood thought they'd get someone to re-write it. Sigh...

First, some back story may be in order. After Plan B acquired the rights to the book, word emerged that "Quantum of Solace" helmer Marc Forster would direct a script from "Babylon 5" creator J. Michael Straczynski. More recently, news emerged that "The Kingdom" writer Matthew Michael Carnahan had been brought in to do... something with the script.

The initial script, the first draft from Straczynski, left the book's author very impressed. "I read Straczynski's first draft, and it was f---ing brilliant. As the book writer i know that's sacrilege to say, but it really was good," Brooks said. "I turned to my wife and said 'Honey, this is as good as the book. This is gonna be an amazing movie.'"

gdt

Recent interview with Kirkman about the show.

http://blogs.amctv.com/horror-hacker/2009/11/robert-kirkman-walking-dead-interview.php

Horror Hacker caught up with Robert Kirkman, the man behind The Walking Dead comics, at Baltimore's Comic Con and got the scoop on the origin of his zombie series and what made him say yes to an AMCtv adaptation.

Q: The Walking Dead is a stellar example of the zombie genre. Where are your influences?

A: My absolute favorite zombie movie is Day of the Dead. They're in the bunker, the zombies look the coolest out of any of the Romero movies and I really like the story, the misery that these people have to go through. Shaun of the Dead comes in a close second.

Q: What about Night of the Living Dead?

A: The Romero movies as a whole, I really adore. Day of the Dead has more action and gore in it, while I think Night of the Living Dead is probably the most sophisticated zombie movie. It's got excellent story, an amazing ending and it's really artfully put together. It's obviously been a huge influence. I like the Lucio Fulci Italian zombie movies... Holocaust movies inspired [The Walking Dead] a little bit, just to see people dealing with horrible things happening to them.

Q: What made you decide to do a comic in black and white?

A: That actually came from our original idea because [co-creator Tony Moore and I] believed Night of the Living Dead was in public domain. We thought it would be neat to just go out and do a comic book series that takes place in that world, and do it in black and white. In the end, we decided to do something completely different, but to keep the black-white thing because you could get away with more gore. It's not all bloody and violent with red all over the page, so it seems a little less offensive. It's also a little cheaper to print.

Q: The Walking Dead's main character, Rick, has been forced into many harsh situations. Is he going to continue down that path and finally go crazy?

A: If you're asking if he is going to completely lose his mind and start killing people left and right... probably not. Rick is a strong character; he should eventually be able to overcome his current difficulties, but who knows? As the series is going right now, [Rick and his fellow survivors] are going to be arriving on a sanctuary of sorts where a walled-in civilization has been formed. Once they get in there, that might be the thing Rick needs to finally get him to calm down and get his head together.

Q: The series reads cinematically. Was that intentional?

A: I just wanted to do a cool comic. I didn't care if it ever got made into a television show or a movie, which is why it took so long to get it optioned... I didn't want to do anything to water it down. I set out to do a long, sprawling story that took place over many thousands of issues and I was actually able to do that.

Q: How did you decide that AMC was the place to tell your story?

A: The body of work that they have produced so far: Mad Men is an excellent show; Breaking Bad is an excellent show. They're two for two and 100 percent. That's a pretty good batting average. I'm looking forward to The Prisoner, with Ian McKellen and Jim Caviezel. I don't see that series not being great. People have asked me... "How are you going to do The Walking Dead at AMC?" and I am just like, "Have you seen Breaking Bad? They've got severed heads over here and piles of guts falling through ceilings over there."

Q: If you had to pick someone to play Rick, who would it be?

A: There are so many guys out there that would do a great job. And I don't want to ruin the chance to find the next Jon Hamm.

They really, really have to get the perfect cast for maximum awesomeness. Rick needs to be perfect especially. And Tyrone needs to be Idris Elba.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Seriously, a zombie TV series is the most awesome thing ever. Between this and Season 7 of Lost, it's gonna be a great year for zombies seasons.

gdt

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Seriously, a zombie TV series is the most awesome thing ever. Between this and Season 7 of Lost, it's gonna be a great year for zombies seasons.

You should definitely check out Walking Dead.

It's basically Lost-The Island+Zombies+depression.

Edit: Kirkman has compared it to Lost as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom