• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Jamesways said:
But man, the physics are so tight. On console. Not a pretty game by any means...

On that note I thoroughly enjoyed the driving and physics in Ferrari Challenge too. Wasn't the greatest game to look at, not too shabby but the racing more than made up for that.

Shame the sequel was a bit lackluster in content compared to the first. Was hoping System 3 would make another game and put more variety in it.

Flash video?

Every single thing you would want to do to inspect a car is possible in autovista. You can roam freely and look at every nook and crany you would want to do in real life.

Sh#t you can see the inner door hinges and bolts in these cars. Simply jaw dropping.

Also the textures and shaders in the cockpit are rediculous. Even ingame.

Forza is like the uncharted of racing games. Has a beautiful colorful art style but yet highly detailed and believable in reality.

patsu

higherARC05 said:
Flash video?

Every single thing you would want to do to inspect a car is possible in autovista. You can roam freely and look at every nook and crany you would want to do in real life.

Sh#t you can see the inner door hinges and bolts in these cars. Simply jaw dropping.

Also the textures and shaders in the cockpit are rediculous. Even ingame.

Forza is like the uncharted of racing games. Has a beautiful colorful art style but yet highly detailed and believable in reality.

Uncharted is not a sim. It's a fantasy adventure game like Indiana Jones, so that painted art style works well. Using that art style for a car sim would give people the impression that the game is cartoony. But the attention to details and consistency should please many people.

From what I gather...

GT5 tries to reproduce a real and dynamic sense of racing/driving. The graphics are therefore more tuned towards the dynamic and realistic behavior (e.g., lighting). Instead of simulating as many car parts as possible, it emphasizes the driving sensation + sim for many different car types, road conditions and weather. This is perhaps why GT5 excels with a wheel. The individual car parts don't get in the way of quick wheel responses for the overall car physics and responses. Trying to simulate individual parts to absolute details may interfere with the user's direct responses, and fail during these edge conditions (too abrupt changes).

ghibli99

Here are a few of my shots from Forza 4 this week. I've posted in here and elsewhere on GAF that GT5's photomode and LoD are superior, but I still think you can get some nice results in Turn 10's games. Not that these are the greatest or anything, but for what it's worth...

m3ba.jpg

ctrba.jpg

s2kba.jpg

ccxba.jpg

All from the Bernese Alps course.

Xanadu

Banned
SmokyDave said:
I love this game so much. I bought all the expansions, downloaded nearly all the mods and I regret nothing.

Race Pro is ok (I keep a copy at the missus' house in case of sim-emergency) but it doesn't hold a candle to the PC version.
none of simbins recent games have matched the quality of GT legends and GTR2

ruttyboy

I'm guessing this might be the right place to ask.

Does anyone else remember from about a year ago a storm in a teacup about PD scanning the underside of a die-cast model and putting it on a GT-R? Did anyone ever get to the bottom of whether it was a joke or not?

Trickster

ruttyboy said:

Does anyone else remember from about a year ago a storm in a teacup about PD scanning the underside of a die-cast model and putting it on a GT-R? Did anyone ever get to the bottom of whether it was a joke or not?

They did do that, can't remember if PD did anything about it though.

Angst

ruttyboy said:

I'm pretty sure they patched that. I haven't bothered checking, but I presume GTP would have a 500+ page thread if that was still in the game :p

ruttyboy

Oh sorry, rather than whether it happened, I meant did they do it initially as a joke/easter egg expecting people to find it or did they think they were being sneaky and saving development time?

Angst

ruttyboy said:
Oh sorry, rather than whether it happened, I meant did they do it initially as a joke/easter egg expecting people to find it or did they think they were being sneaky and saving development time?
I think it was a mistake / saving development time.

test_account

XP-39C²
ruttyboy said:
Personally i think that it was just to save development time. The chances for someone to find that was pretty slim. But yeah, they fixed it with some humor through patching :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D50aSg28J5s&feature=player_detailpage#t=42s

Snubbers said:
Really? how do you explain that that actual grip/tyre FFB is very subdued in GT? I hear a lot of superlatives from yourself (Your assessment of Spec 2 physics was very gushing), but if you take a FWD car, light it up from the start line it's as numb as anything, and I can say from hotlapping that the lack of feel of the grip is a PITA.. There is almost no feel of what the front tyres are doing, you just turn the wheel a bit more, give it more throttle, and the FFB doesn't communicate anything, the first you know about understeer is the visually and audibly.. About the best thing FM gets right (though not perfect) is the way the steering unloads and the grip levels are reasonably communicated, it's always been the track FFB effects where Forza under-delivers..

There is definitely something about the way FM4 communicates grip that is appealing. You get more information than you get in GT5 for sure. But the information you get is not realistic, and there's the major problem.

I was on the real Ring the other day with one of those fun Race4Rent Swift Stage 2 (a little underpowered, but therefore also a bit safer ;) ), and I slid sideways a bit in one of the early turns then regained grip. I had another such situation where I was going offline for a faster car, but it was one of those out and downward sloping left handers where it's really not such a good idea. I managed to stay on track just barely, only one rear-wheel briefly off the tarmac. In both cases, I automatically did everything right even though I maybe go to the track twice a year, thanks to GT's correct response to your driving input.

I've been very enthusiastic about Forza 4 this week (got it a bit after release), and when you go back from the one to the other at first you do feel that GT5 communicates less (as it does). FM4 communicates bounce of the rubber as the tire slides sideways, loss of grip, and regain of grip very well through force feedback and sound. That in itself makes the driving experience really enjoyable. But at the same time, it does this almost the same way for almost all types of cars, even when that shouldn't be like that at all. You can always regain grip by pressing the accellerator and just countersteering, without even losing speed. Every car is a rally car in that respect. And that makes the game boring in the long run, and unrealistic.

But all the information that GT5 communicates is correct. The first sound you hear are and should almost always be the tires. Forza has a nicer sound for this, but it doesn't come at the right time. Correcting the line by dropping your speed and straightening out your angle and/or gently braking is and should be the only option. Conversely, when you do lose grip in a FF wheel car in GT5 (using normal tires), there's often this loss-gain-loss-gain thing going on, that I've only ever felt in GT5 and in my first car (Alfa 155, the Swift I drove the other day has semi-slicks and not enough power to ever lose traction ;) ).

Driving the same combo as I had in FM4, in GT5 losing control of your car completely can happen very easily in some cars, and when that happens, the game stays realistic up to but obviously not including the crash, if it gets that far (which having been in one, even if it was one at slow speeds, I'm almost thankful for ;) ).

I think crucially, it takes some time with both games before this becomes apparent. As a game, therefore, Forza 4 has been well-designed. But, and this may sound a little overly hyperbolic but it is one of the things that stood out to me this weekend and I thought was symbolic for the whole game, the Zonda Type R is glossy and reflective all over in FM4.

Shaneus

Wazzim said:
Nothing can beat those fanboys there.
Maybe the GT ones from here are lurking and writing down tips ;)

Of course, because all the Forza 4 ones are busy taking photos and playing "their" game ;)

(Just add more winks to this post if you still don't think I'm joking.)

Polyphony

To their credit, at least PD didn't withhold content and release it as day-1 DLC (then again, it could be argued that they couldn't if the game was indeed incomplete lol). It's becoming a common practice in games of all genres these days.

NinjaBoiX

CozMick said:
But now is the pinnacle of the racing/driving genre.
Have they fixed the front end? The game is marvellous on track, but that menu is simply unworkable for me. Just a convoluted, long-winded, muddled-up, inconsistent nightmare.

It's such a shame.

Polyphony said:
To their credit, at least PD didn't withhold content and release it as day-1 DLC (then again, it could be argued that they couldn't if the game was indeed incomplete lol). It's becoming a common practice in games of all genres these days.

Instead they just made a demo which cost 20 dollars, that's much better.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
cutmeamango said:
Forza definetely aims for a more dramatic lightning and art direction.
So when it comes to realism (as in art), GT5 definetely wins.
Realism is almost always on GT5's side. Prettier PP maybe on F4's side. Take what you want from that :p

Dibbz

cutmeamango said:
Forza definetely aims for a more dramatic lightning and art direction.
So when it comes to realism (as in art), GT5 definetely wins.
It's not even just the lighting. Look at the grass. Is it growing on sand or something? Looks at the trees on the left. Look at the tarmac.

It goes further than just the lighting. GT's attention to track details, in this instance is far above that in Forza. That's not even mentioning the LFA

Angst

Dibbz said:
It's not even just the lighting. Look at the grass. Is it growing on sand or something? Looks at the trees on the left. Look at the tarmac.

It goes further than just the lighting. GT's attention to track details, in this instance is far above that in Forza. That's not even mentioning the LFA
Regarding the track detail I think that as to do with motion blur / shutter speed.

I did said "and art direction". :p

And GT5 pic has a shutter speed way higher than the Forza 1, ally that to the lighting and you can't really question the tarmac and grass.

In that topic, I recalibrated my TV after an 1 and half since I bought it, and GT5 looks a different beast. Goes to show how much a few tones of brightness/contrast and red/green bias ultimately affect the art direction.

Top Bottom