• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega: We Probably Won't Do More Mature Titles For The Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems Sega has recently stated in a podcast interview with 1UP that they probably won't do any more mature titles for the Wii, citing sales and the early adoption age of the 360/PS3 as their main reasons.

Nintendo Everything said:
On the latest edition of the 4 Guys 1UP podcast, Constantine Hantzopoulos, a studio director over at SEGA, had much to say about the state of mature Wii games. Hantzopoulos discussed a number of topics, including sales of MadWorld, House of the Dead: Overkill, and The Conduit. But most importantly, he talked about the possibility of creating mature games for the Wii in the future. According to Hantzopoulos, after seeing the performance of SEGA’s mature titles and Dead Space Extraction, SEGA is now less likely to produce similar content for the platform.

“I have to say that it was a space that was open and we took a gamble on it. It’s like, ‘Wow, there’s no mature games on the Wii. Is there an audience out there?’ We did some research, it said there was an audience out there. I won’t comment about Nintendo, they did champion The Conduit as a ‘this is a Nintendo game.’ And, you know, I think they did okay by us. At the end of the day, I just think that you’re seeing kids are skewing much younger towards next-gen. And that’s what I saw out of Conduit. Because not a bad game, visually it’s appealing, right? AI wasn’t that great. High Voltage’s first real effort as an indie developer, creating their own IP. And it was a good effort, right? And there’s always Conduit 2, right? …Anyone past 12 years old was playing 360 and PS3 shooters. And at that point, you can’t tell a 13 year-old, ‘But it’s on the Wii.’ Forget it, you know? That’s not what they see or hear. They’re not really interested in any techno-fetishist aspects of look how great it is on the Wii…And, you know, the effort that we put behind multiplayer on that game to basically get by friend codes and provide worldwide match-making and so on and so forth, I actually thought we dove too deep…

…Circling back to the whole mature Wii thing, again SEGA took a gamble, we put out some pretty decent content. I mean, House of the Dead: Overkill and MadWorld are great Wii games. They really are, especially House of the Dead: Overkill. That game is funny…Yes [it did better than MadWorld]. I mean they’re both doing okay and at the end of the day we’ll make our numbers, that’s good. Conduit’s done quite well for us. It’s been slow burn. That’s the other thing you find out about the Wii. It’s not necessarily first 3 weeks like most titles. And DS. It’s a longer burn, actually. So panicked at first, but it’s like okay.

But that begs the question, are we going to do more mature titles for the Wii? And it’s like, probably not. Look at Dead Space. We were stunned. That was my litmus test. Basically, it’s like, okay, you got EA, who can put all the marketing muscle behind this, an established franchise that scored quite well on 360 and PS3. They should be able to actually hit this out of the park, right? We get numbers, real numbers aside from NPD, and I’m like, ‘Woah.’”
Source: http://www.nintendoeverything.com/30445/

Podcast For Full Context: http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3176640

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Dead Space Extraction should have sold more, no question..but come on with this comment:

"Basically, it’s like, okay, you got EA, who can put all the marketing muscle behind this"

I saw zero advertising for this game. None.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
schuelma said:
Dead Space Extraction should have sold more, no question..but come on with this comment:

"Basically, it’s like, okay, you got EA, who can put all the marketing muscle behind this"

I saw zero advertising for this game. None.
There was uh... one advertisement on 1UP. Not sure about any others.

cosmicblizzard said:
Isn't HOTD 2 and 3 above 1 mil worldwide?
Well, if it is, it seems Sega believe they can no longer replicate that success.

According to Anihawk, Darkside Chronicles also took a tremendous nosedive relative to Umbrella Chronicles saleswise.

EDarkness

They actually EXPECTED Dead Space Extraction to sell? Anyone could see that game was doomed from the beginning. Hell, their PR was in full effect trying to defuse the "on rails" thing. Sounds like Sega is just looking for an excuse. Well, they have one. Good luck to them.

According to Anihawk, Darkside Chronicles also took a tremendous nosedive relative to Umbrella Chronicles saleswise.

Honestly, I got tired of the "tests", so I simply refused to buy the second one, even though I have Umbrella Chronicles. Every time some Wii game gets announced, it seems like it's some sort of "test". Just make the damn games people like to play already. Sheesh.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Incoming rage. :lol
Anyone past 12 years old was playing 360 and PS3 shooters. And at that point, you can’t tell a 13 year-old, ‘But it’s on the Wii.’ Forget it, you know? That’s not what they see or hear. They’re not really interested in any techno-fetishist aspects of look how great it is on the Wii…
Quite true.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Look at Dead Space. We were stunned. That was my litmus test. Basically, it’s like, okay, you got EA, who can put all the marketing muscle behind this, an established franchise that scored quite well on 360 and PS3..
ok, i read this passage, then re-read it. and again. i still don't get if the guy is serious or actually believes we're all from mars.

iceatcs

Bit of shame, I would like to play more mature motion control games for Wii. Hopeful Gen and Natal will help little but the problem for me that I'll more likely get one of those than Wii if it will coming on all systems.

Phaethon0017: I probably won't buy any of your games Sega. Unless it's Bayonetta or Alien vs Predator or Shenmue III. Or something else I'd like.
Guess that rules out Wiiyonetta.

But it's good that a Sega studio director knows how to react to the NPD numbers of a port of an averagely successful title. 'Like woah.'

etiolate

Banned
Why don't you just focus on making good games and stop appealing to a consumer base suffering under a harmful schism. No true gamer is being appealed to, there is just the bro gamer and the wii gamer, and the long time gamers pick a side or bail. Make good games again, games with life and personality, and keep making them. It doesn't turn around in one go.

Fio

There's a reason why people stopped playing on-rails shooters 10 years ago, I don't know why SEGA expects that people would be all over it nowadays.

It's something sad but I felt inevitable.

The Wii doesn't need these types of "mature games" to begin with. (that's not to say that they are bad or useless; I really enjoyed Madworld, and that's not to say that I wouldn't buy any more if they were made, but still)

entremet

Please listen to the podcast, guys. Constantine's elaborates on his points in much more succinct manner. Also, he's talking about "mature" titles. I'm sure that this does not mean that Sega has abandoned Wii development altogether.

The thread title and article appear more sensationalistic than interviewee's comments on the podcast.

schuelma

entrement said:
Please listen to the podcast, guys. Constantine's elaborates on his points in much more succinct manner. Also, he's talking about "mature" titles. I'm sure that this does not mean that Sega has abandoned Wii development altogether.

The thread title and article appear more sensationalistic than interviewee's comments on the podcast.

I was just going to post that I'm not sure how necessary this thread is given that we have a weekly thread where listeners can discuss exactly what was said.

Because not a bad game, visually it’s appealing, right? AI wasn’t that great. High Voltage’s first real effort as an indie developer, creating their own IP. And it was a good effort, right? And there’s always Conduit 2, right?

Right? Right?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
entrement said:

I don't think anyone read this title and assumed Sega is giving up on Wii development altogether.

It says mature in both the article and the title, and we all know Sega has a ton of more casual and family friendly games lined up for the system.

I mean, Mario & Sonic 1 sold over 10 million copies between the Wii and DS. I don't think people see Sega as a failure on the system.

iceatcs

entrement said:

Well it is Neogaf where most of us are far more care on gaming than install base or sale. We might be sad that we maybe won't get more good or suitable game for wii from Sega, and sale-age might be glad than Sega won't waste more money.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
see, this is why we can't have nice things.

PR controlled discussions on the video game industry are all we're ever going to get if douchebags looking for hits feel the urge to blow casual conversation out of proportion.

fuck that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
schuelma said:
I was just going to post that I'm not sure how necessary this thread is given that we have a weekly thread where listeners can discuss exactly what was said.
By this logic, if there's a thread about an E3 conference, we shouldn't make a thread about what is announced during the conference, as the people reading the E3 thread probably saw exactly what happened during E3.

That seems a bit odd to me.

If there is more to the quote though I'm fine with adding it to the OP.

aeolist

Banned
entrement said:

The problem is that to publishers, there are "mature" games (swearing, blood, occasional sex that gets censored before release) and then there's everything else (party games, licensed games, and sports games). Anything that doesn't fall into these categories is niche and will only be occasionally released.

So basically Sega is saying that the Wii won't get any other games besides Sonic, Mario and Sonic, and Sonic Party games.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
aeolist said:
The problem is that to publishers, there are "mature" games (swearing, blood, occasional sex that gets censored before release) and then there's everything else (party games, licensed games, and sports games). Anything that doesn't fall into these categories is niche and will only be occasionally released.

So basically Sega is saying that the Wii won't get any other games besides Sonic, Mario and Sonic, and Sonic Party games.
listen to the podcast, then talk

Margalis

Banned
Is there anyone in the video game industry who understands that "mature" is not a genre?

Dead Space Extraction is not a mature game, it's an on-rails spinoff to a mediocre seller on different hardware that happens to be rated M - and light gun games are already probably over saturated on the Wii.

Thought experiment: If DSE was rated T how many more copies would it have sold? Five? Ten? I'm pretty sure that bumping the rating down would not have quintupled sales and made it a success.

An M rating can certainly change sales prospects but the failure of DSE doesn't seem to have anything to do with the rating. At E3 there was *one* DSE machine in the Nintendo booth and barely anyone was playing it. By comparison Sin and Punishment 2 had four machines and constant lines.

The interest just wasn't there. That has nothing to do with rating.

Calling mature games an "open space" seems pretty silly. An open space has do with game type and target audience more than rating. Light gun games on the Wii are not an open space, period, regardless of rating. People buy games because of the content, not because of the rating.

entremet

Nirolak said:
I don't think anyone read this title and assumed Sega is giving up on Wii development altogether.

It says mature in both the article and the title, and we all know Sega has a ton of more casual and family friendly games lined up for the system.

I mean, Mario & Sonic 1 sold over 10 million copies between the Wii and DS. I don't think people see Sega as a failure on the system.
Post away, bro. I have no problems with your OP or title, I just want to make sure people listen to his interview before going off on a fanboy rage. The problem with articles based on other media sources is that nuance is lost. I just hope people go to the original source and form their opinions on that.

schuelma

Nirolak said:
By this logic, if there's a thread about an E3 conference, we shouldn't make a thread about what is announced during the conference, as the people reading the E3 thread probably saw exactly what happened during E3.

That seems a bit odd to me.

If there is more to the quote though I'm fine with adding it to the OP.

I just don't see any good to come out of this thread. I mean, the title alone- SEGA SAYS NO MORE MATURE WII GAMES. What possible constructive discussion could one have based off of a few quotes from a single Sega rep?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
entrement said:
Post away, bro. I have no problems with your OP or title, I just want to make sure people listen to his interview before going off on a fanboy rage. The problem with articles based on other media is that nuance is lost. I just hope people go to the original source and form their opinions on that.
I have no problem with that. I just thought you had an issue with how the thread was titled and Rez calling me a douche.

But yeah, I'll add a link directly to the podcast in case people want to hear the context for themselves. Thanks.

legend166

entrement said:

Uh, no one said they were stopping development altogether and the thread title specifically points out that it's 'mature' titles they are abandoning.

Anyway, I'm not going to sit here and argue that the Wii is a better place for 'mature' games than the HD platforms, but people looking towards Dead Space: Extraction as reasoning shows how dumb this industry is.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Nirolak said:
I have no problem with that. I just thought you had an issue with how the thread was titled and Rez calling me a douche.

But yeah, I'll add a link directly to the podcast in case people want to hear the context for themselves. Thanks.
whoa, I was calling the source a douche, not you

unless you are the source, in which case, awkward

entremet

Nirolak said:

No issues, my friend.

Just making sure people listen to original source, before trying to crucify the interviewee.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Rez said:
whoa, I was calling the source a douche, not you

unless you are the source, in which case, awkward
Oh, no, I'm not the source. Sorry, I misread that. My bad then. :lol

schuelma said:
I just don't see any good to come out of this thread. I mean, the title alone- SEGA SAYS NO MORE MATURE WII GAMES. What possible constructive discussion could one have based off of a few quotes from a single Sega rep?
Well, he does seem to be sharing a strategy from Sega going forward, and if it's inaccurate, then there's a chance we'll get Sega to correct it.

I mean, if a Nintendo producer said they were going to focus on more traditional games and less casual games, do you feel that would be newsworthy, even though it's only a producer?

And I feel it is at least interesting to know how the individual studio directors feel, even if we're unable to truly know if their opinion represents the entire company. If nothing else, it gives us insight into how the workers of these companies feel, which might let us know more about why they make the decisions they do on a studio basis.

I just don't feel this kind of thread is totally useless, even if people tend to over react to them at first, by the end of the thread, we usually get some useful discussion or some meaningful updates.

schuelma

Nirolak said:
I just don't feel this kind of thread is totally useless, even if people tend to over react to them at first, by the end of the thread, we usually get some useful discussion or some meaningful updates.

Well, based off the quotes used in the story, I'm skeptical we'll get any sort of meaningful discussion (and even if we do, it will be a repeat of a discussion we have at least once a week anyways).

scitek

Third parties were caught with their pants down with the Wii's success, and they still have no idea how on earth to market to its audience, so just focus on the HD twins and shut up already. I don't care anymore.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
schuelma said:
Well, based off the quotes used in the story, I'm skeptical we'll get any sort of meaningful discussion (and even if we do, it will be a repeat of a discussion we have at least once a week anyways).
Well, I feel there's at least a chance of a new meaningful discussion.

I guess we'll find out in a day or two though.

Effect

WTF!? He can't be serious about what he said about Dead Space Extraction. EA did nothing to advertise Dead Space Extraction. On the flip side at least Conduit was advertised however they picked horrible time slots and locations if they were trying to go after that teen market that is supposedly playing other consoles.

Really wouldnt put too much stock into what this guy is saying. In the same podcast he's also generated confusion as to whether Yakuza 3 is english dubbed or not at this point, a game due out in like 2-3 months time, so if he doesn't know whats going on there I'd say he has a pretty loose ability to talk about what the rest of Sega's future plans are :lol

HUELEN10

At the very least, this means that Shadow The Hedgehog 2 will never be, and that is a good thing.

Though I will admit that it was better than some of the other 3D games, at least it was worlds better than Sonic & The Black Knight and Sonic 06.

Owzers

Effect said:
WTF!? He can't be serious about what he said about Dead Space Extraction. EA did nothing to advertise Dead Space Extraction. On the flip side at least Conduit was advertised however they picked horrible time slots and locations if they were trying to go after that teen market that is supposedly playing other consoles.

Wii Fans: You can make games with lower development costs and make money!

Wii Fans: But you have to spend millions on tv advertising!

scitek

WTF is he on about 12-13 year-olds playing shooters, anyway? Is that seriously who they're targeting M-rated games at? Shouldn't something be done about that if he's blatantly admitting to it?

Somnid

It makes sense, PS3 and 360 owner buy up shitty mature crap as much as Wii owners buy up shitty casual crap. They made money on their mature titles but they can make a lot more by focusing their development on what's actually selling on each platform. This divide is dumb anyway, devs should focus on making good titles, not good "mature" titles.

People need to stop making decisions based on the sales of a flooded market of niche games. Yes on rails shooters is a niche fucking market, stop acting like they're some kind of measuring stick for "hardcore" gamers. How well did what the fuck is it called sell on the PS3? I remember it bombing pretty hardcore.

yoopoo

Banned
I mean, House of the Dead: Overkill and MadWorld are great Wii games. They really are, especially House of the Dead: Overkill. That game is funny…Yes [it did better than MadWorld]. I mean they’re both doing okay and at the end of the day we’ll make our numbers, that’s good. Conduit’s done quite well for us. It’s been slow burn. That’s the other thing you find out about the Wii. It’s not necessarily first 3 weeks like most titles. And DS. It’s a longer burn, actually. So panicked at first, but it’s like okay.
Well its nice to hear those games did decently at retail. Except for the Conduit..can't believe Sega got scammed into publishing the game :lol

KevinCow

Banned
I can't say I'm surprised after how MadWorld, HotD:O, and the Conduit sold. Though I also can't say that using Dead Space Extraction as any sort of litmus test makes a whole lot of sense. Was he really shocked that a light gun spinoff of a game that sold only decently in the first place didn't do very well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom