• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega: We Probably Won't Do More Mature Titles For The Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

GC|Simon

Constantine Hantzopoulos strikes again:

“The interesting thing is Nintendo, they make money off of every console they sell. I think one of the big things that we found out is it really is a mass market product where mom or whoever goes out, the 80% of the people out there who go out and buy a Wii box are happy with Wii Sports and they don’t really need another game. Or if they do need another game, they’ll buy Wii Resort because it comes with a free Wiimote or Wii Play…So, honestly I don’t know…You can obviously see that profits are down for Nintendo. I think the Wii is on its tail slide, unless they drop the price to like 80 bucks then you’ll start seeing it flying off the shelves.And I believe they’ll still make money if they drop it to 80 bucks…Point being is they have the ability to lower the price on the Wii [...] where Sony and Microsoft cannot do that.”

via a banned site (g.n.)

Vinci

Danish
I'm too late to this topic to get into any of the normal bitching but... I'm actually quite okay with this news. Do whatever you want, SEGA. You stopped being relevant to me when the Dreamcast died.

Dascu

GC|Simon said:
"I think the Wii is on its tail slide, unless they drop the price to like 80 bucks then you’ll start seeing it flying off the shelves."
Really now. Between this statement and the one about DS:E being the litmus test, I'm not sure how clever this guy is.

scitek

God, Sega is starting to piss me off. Mad World is probably one of the most fun games on the Wii and it's hilarious! I was expecting at least some advertisement on the game but all that was received were a couple of trailers thrown on 1up. The same thing happened to
Dead Space: Extraction. That game is pretty fun and it's a new take on on-rails shooters. The problem is Sega not advertising. It took 3 Call of Duties to make one that people payed attention to. I remember when it came out, I had it and still, commercials for it were on Comedy Central and other channels that people watch for at least another 3 or 4 months! That kind of advertising makes a game look better than it actually is (and trust me , that game is made up to be pretty great).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Dascu said:
Really now. Between this statement and the one about DS:E being the litmus test, I'm not sure how clever this guy is.

Yeah. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but that statement sounds like something that would come from the standard Wii-hater on gaf who enters into sales thread twice a year.

When people say the Wii is on its "tail slide" in the face of sales that still compare favorably to the PS2 I think you can start to guess it is more about wish fulfillment than any kind of reality.

Davey Cakes

schuelma said:
When people say the Wii is on its "tail slide" in the face of sales that still compare favorably to the PS2 I think you can start to guess it is more about wish fulfillment than any kind of reality.
In terms of "wish fulfillment" I think the Wii has brought out the worst in both gamers and the press.

This is what happens when you shock the fucking world, Nintendo.

Vinci said:
I'm too late to this topic to get into any of the normal bitching but... I'm actually quite okay with this news. Do whatever you want, SEGA. You stopped being relevant to me when the Dreamcast died.

Your loss.

hokahey

DungeonO said:
Now that they're done publishing mature titles, perhaps they can start developing good titles.

This.

When will devs learn that in order to sell on a Nintendo console it takes quality + advertising? It's pretty simple.

Loonz

Constantine Hantzopoulos said:
“The interesting thing is Nintendo, they make money off of every console they sell. I think one of the big things that we found out is it really is a mass market product where mom or whoever goes out, the 80% of the people out there who go out and buy a Wii box are happy with Wii Sports and they don’t really need another game. Or if they do need another game, they’ll buy Wii Resort because it comes with a free Wiimote or Wii Play…So, honestly I don’t know…You can obviously see that profits are down for Nintendo. I think the Wii is on its tail slide, unless they drop the price to like 80 bucks then you’ll start seeing it flying off the shelves.And I believe they’ll still make money if they drop it to 80 bucks…Point being is they have the ability to lower the price on the Wii [...] where Sony and Microsoft cannot do that.”

Well, if this is true and this dude at Sega really believes what he is saying then... then he is perhaps the craziest loon I've ever heard of.

In fact it's even worse. If this guy somehow portrays what people working in the videogame industry really thinks about this generation of consoles then I'm at loss of words. You can expect this from insane people at forums like GAF, but from a dude working in a videogame company... How anyone here, in this forum, could ever take the videogame industry seriously again?. This madness, this jadeness is funny to read but, at the same time, really really sad to behold.

Rolf NB

Were "mature" games a significant part of the pie last gen? As significant as they (appear) now? Sure, I know a few (Socom, CoD, God Of War, maybe Resident Evil, maybe maybe Devil May Cry etc), but I wonder if this big significance of "mature" games is actually a new phenomenon of the HD consoles, and the Wii audience is just doing business as usual.

Jenga

Banned
The day Sega quits making mature games for the Wii is the day I quit buying games from Sega as a whole. No, really. I haven't played any sega related games other than HoTD and Madworld for like, the past 5 years.

And people keep saying we should listen to this guy cause he works in the industry and has access to numbers and "knows more" than us. I call bullshit on all that, and here's proof you can work in the industry and have access to numbers and still have your head burried right up your ass all the way to the shoulders.

ZAK

The interesting thing is Nintendo, they make money off of every console they sell. I think one of the big things that we found out is it really is a mass market product where mom or whoever goes out, the 80% of the people out there who go out and buy a Wii box are happy with Wii Sports and they don’t really need another game. Or if they do need another game, they’ll buy Wii Resort because it comes with a free Wiimote or Wii Play…So, honestly I don’t know…You can obviously see that profits are down for Nintendo. I think the Wii is on its tail slide, unless they drop the price to like 80 bucks then you’ll start seeing it flying off the shelves.And I believe they’ll still make money if they drop it to 80 bucks…Point being is they have the ability to lower the price on the Wii [...] where Sony and Microsoft cannot do that.
I don't... what in the fuck. DC retardation makes more sense than this. You couldn't even write this kind of thing on GAF unless you were Drinky. And this is from someone in the industry? I'm gonna give it the benefit of the Sega, but damn...

Vinci

Danish
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Your loss.

Just haven't cared much about their latest output is all, on any system. I was Sega-crazy during the DC era and yeah, I'm just not connecting with them at the moment.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
That's a bold statement, I mean, it's not like any of the titles were "bombs", selling what, over 140k each in N.A. alone? Plus we know HOTD did really well in Europe, they barely paid much for The Conduit since development itself was all self funded and they only published, and MadWorld... well it couldn't have been that far under expectations when all is said and done, considering the game's design.

Sega has been one of the biggest Wii supports, at least in terms of a full portfolio. I'm sure they arent out of the game completely.

noquarter

scitek said:
God, Sega is starting to piss me off. Mad World is probably one of the most fun games on the Wii and it's hilarious! I was expecting at least some advertisement on the game but all that was received were a couple of trailers thrown on 1up. The same thing happened to
Dead Space: Extraction. That game is pretty fun and it's a new take on on-rails shooters. The problem is Sega not advertising. It took 3 Call of Duties to make one that people payed attention to. I remember when it came out, I had it and still, commercials for it were on Comedy Central and other channels that people watch for at least another 3 or 4 months! That kind of advertising makes a game look better than it actually is (and trust me , that game is made up to be pretty great).
MadWorld did have a few commercials, that is how I talked my wife into getting it for me.

And Sega would be foolish to advertise Dead Space, EA is losing/making money on that.

Firestorm

scitek said:
The first three Call of Duty games sold millions of units each. The fourth was a runaway hit, yes, but that was more through word of mouth than anything. If MadWorld had the type of advertising MW had, it would have been even more of a loss for Sega.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
bcn-ron said:
Were "mature" games a significant part of the pie last gen? As significant as they (appear) now? Sure, I know a few (Socom, CoD, God Of War, maybe Resident Evil, maybe maybe Devil May Cry etc), but I wonder if this big significance of "mature" games is actually a new phenomenon of the HD consoles, and the Wii audience is just doing business as usual.
Yes and no. The 360 list of top sellers looks like an extended version of the Xbox's list; the hardcore mature. The Wii's looks like an extended version of the Gamecube's list; Nintendo. Third parties have polarized this generation so that a PS2 equivalent simply does not exist.

In the US, the PS2's software sales was topped by three GTA games, but at the same the list of million sellers still included a lot of Disney, and also a bunch of Spongebob, Lego, Sonic, Crash, Eye Toy, etc... The PS2 was dominated by games that don't necessarily fit our current definitions of hardcore and casual... Guitar Hero, Madden, Spider-Man, Star Wars, Tony Hawk, Need for Speed, WWE, etc... The problem today is that most of these series have been run into the ground and there has been little like them to take their place. Everything new runs either hot or cold, hardcore or casual, HD or Wii.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I think if anyone has earned the right to make this decision its Sega. They have given decent support, but I guess they had expectations way beyond what was reasonable given the quality and/or content of what they put out. DS:E was dead on arrival - you don't see big piles of it lying around like Madworld, its like EA admitted defeat before they even got started. But hopefully, Sega isn't gonna jump that giant chasm from "Mature" game to "Fairy Princessez on Horsez" shovelware, there is still a massive middle ground that could be very successful.

Listening to this now. This guy seems like he's rather worth listening to. He's being quoted - yes - but in context it comes across as reasoned as opposed to fanboy drek - mostly. There are some misconceptions there. The only parts that I really have issues with are the Nintendo tail-slide comment and the DS:E litmus test one. This isn't a repeat of the Peter Wanat shit from last year.

X26

Banned
These threads are awesome. No matter how many of these kinds of stories come out from various companies it's always the company that messed up completely and never has anything to do with the wii whatsoever. EA? Morons. Capcom? Morons. Sega? Morons. GAF's armchair nintendo zealots? Geniuses.

X26 said:
These threads are awesome. No matter how many of these kinds of stories come out from various companies it's always the company that messed up completely and never has anything to do with the wii whatsoever. EA? Morons. Capcom? Morons. Sega? Morons. GAF's armchair nintendo zealots? Geniuses.

Is that so?
So you're saying that dumbed down spin off rail shooters are the way to attract the "mature "(IE COD4 loving) audience?
Face it, it is third party's fault, regardless of how much you seem to hate the Wii and the "armchair nintendo zealots".
They created a mess on the system, and then cry about it.

schuelma

X26 said:

Wow, that's like exactly what everyone was saying. Way to cut through all the words and sentenced and get to what people really mean.

ZAK

X26 said:
Yeah, for some reason GAF just can't realize that 80% of Wii owners never buy games, except maybe Wii Sports Resort because it happens to come with a Wiimote. If only we had any idea about tie ratios or something, maybe we wouldn't make these mistakes. Bless these wonderful folks for at least trying to enlighten us.

Jokeropia

X26 said:
Statements like the ones made by this guy are so outlandish that you need nothing more than completely public data to disprove them. You'd have know that if you'd paid attention to the thread.

ReiGun

Da fuck is this thread getting back on topic for? Whatever Segata and the others were doing was far more entertaining. :'(

X26

Banned
schuelma said:
Wow, that's like exactly what everyone was saying. Way to cut through all the words and sentenced and get to what people really mean.

Well I'm not going to read through 600+ posts of fanboy outrage, but but hey it's always nice to throw my hat into the level-headed, actually comprehensible side of the argument anyways

Vinci

Danish
X26 said:

Generally speaking if people aren't buying your products, you're doing something wrong. Not the other way around. Sega feels their products aren't selling because they are selling 'mature' games to a base that doesn't want them. So yeah, I think it's reasonable for them to stop doing it.

As for Capcom: The only moronic thing they did with the Wii was release MH3 as anything but a bundle. Otherwise, they've done very well.

Threi

notag
X26 said:
While the growing number of companies saying this is an indication that there may be more to the situation than forum goer users are aware of, I don't think that it necessarily is fair to call "Nintendo Zealots" wrong because of it.

Say for example EA issues a statement saying Nintendo has released no Mario games on the Wii. "Nintendo Zealots" call them idiots for saying so. Then Capcom does, then Epic does, then Activision does, then Sega does. Are the Nintendo Zealots now wrong in their stance? Despite the fact that there are a growing number of companies that express public dislike of the platform, you still have to take their reasoning on a case-by-case basis, and yes some of their reasoning for disliking the platform, even now, are unreasonable.

schuelma

X26 said:
Well I'm not going to read through 600+ posts of fanboy outrage, but but hey it's always nice to throw my hat into the level-headed, actually comprehensible side of the argument anyways

So calling all 600 posts "fanboy outrage" constitutes a "level-headed actually comprehensible argument?"

Man, that's easier than I thought.

X26

Banned
Threi said:
While the growing number of companies saying this is an indication that there may be more to the situation than forum goer users are aware of, I don't think that it necessarily is fair to call "Nintendo Zealots" wrong because of it.

Say for example EA issues a statement saying Nintendo has released no Mario games on the Wii. "Nintendo Zealots" call them idiots for saying so. Then Capcom does, then Epic does, then Activision does, then Sega does. Are the Nintendo Zealots now wrong in their stance? Despite the fact that there are a growing number of companies that express public dislike of the platform, you still have to take their reasoning on a case-by-case basis, and yes some of their reasoning for disliking the platform, even now, are unreasonable.

Well I know enough that it's not entirely nintendo's fault or anything like that, the problem is that so often these threads pin 100% of the blame of the lack of success of certain genres on the company and ignore the fact that there are a lot of hurdles when they make a wii game intended for a mature audience, and nintendo does nothing to make things easier for those developers.

Vinci

Danish
X26 said:
Well I know enough that it's not entirely nintendo's fault or anything like that, the problem is that so often these threads pin 100% of the blame of the lack of success of certain genres on the company and ignore the fact that there are a lot of hurdles when they make a wii game intended for a mature audience, and nintendo does nothing to make things easier for those developers.

Yeah, t'would be better to make 'mature games' for MS. Best choice really.

No. I'm not being sarcastic. I'm agreeing with you.

Loonz

X26 said:

What fanboy outrage?. I think that Sega guy is as mad as the Joker and I don't even have a friggin' Wii.

In relation to the argument, there are people who read what that dude have said in the podcast and they're scratching their heads trying to comprehend their ludicrous statements about the Wii and the "mature" market and there are people like you who somehow is trying to defend his crazyness as something legit or insightful... And you dare to call others "fanboys"?. What the Hell man, WTH.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
X26 said:

In point of fact, there are factors about the Wii that are beyond the control of 3rd party publishers. Some of these factors put limits on how well certain kinds of games will succeed compared to the HD Twins.

But the thing is, you see, 3rd parties have been treating the Wii so badly and acting so willfully ignorant for the last three years, that it kinda stands out like a sore thumb.

There /are/ some Nintendo fanboys who have convinced themselves to actually hate other platforms and the mistakes of 3rd parties just gives them ammunition.

However, there are plenty of objective reasons to criticize what the 3rd parties have been doing with the Wii.

The very fact that such a big deal is being made over Dead Space Extraction by so many parties indicates that people's perspective in the industry is warped - or they are just totally dishonest and jumping on DSE as a convenient excuse to lay the blame for their mistakes entirely on Nintendo's platform. Anyone sane could not have expected DSE to have much of a shot of doing well for reasons already listed a dozen times. Now that it predictably failed, everyone who is a mouthpiece for a game publisher or industry pundit is pointing at DSE and saying "see! We were right! Wii owners only buy Nintendo games!"

While I wouldn't say DSE was an intentional set-up from EA to justify cutting Wii support off, it's fatefully funny that the entire saga has worked right into the lap of people who have drank the industry kool-aid regarding Nintendo.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
that guy in the op said:
And that’s what I saw out of Conduit. Because not a bad game, visually it’s appealing, right? AI wasn’t that great. High Voltage’s first real effort as an indie developer, creating their own IP. And it was a good effort, right? And there’s always Conduit 2, right?

And it was a good effort, right?

good effort, right?

good effort

Not even close.

Loonz said:
What fanboy outrage?. I think that Sega guy is as mad as the Joker and I don't even have a friggin' Wii.

In relation to the argument, there are people who read what that dude have said in the podcast and they're scratching their heads trying to comprehend their ludicrous statements about the Wii and the "mature" market and there are people like you who somehow is trying to defend his crazyness as something legit or insightful... And you dare to call others "fanboys"?. What the Hell man, WTH.

Well put.

He comes off as really really intelligent and centered, and doesn't even come off as angry or crazy when he's saying something that doesn't quite click. It seems like at worst he's channels bits and pieces of the groupthink on Nintendo, but at the same time he says that the 13 year olds that want to play shooters were already doing it on the XBox 360 and weren't looking for it on the Wii.

IF YOU'RE GOING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE GUY, AT LEAST LISTEN TO THE FUCKING PODCAST FIRST. IF YOU'RE GOING TO AGREE WITH THE GUY, LISTEN TO THE FUCKING PODCAST FIRST.

Loonz

bmf said:
He comes off as really really intelligent and centered

Ok, let's see:

"[...] are we going to do more mature titles for the Wii? And it’s like, probably not. Look at Dead Space. We were stunned. That was my litmus test"

"[...] you got EA, who can put all the marketing muscle behind this, an established franchise that scored quite well on 360 and PS3"

“[...] the 80% of the people out there who go out and buy a Wii box are happy with Wii Sports and they don’t really need another game"

"[...] I think the Wii is on its tail slide, unless they drop the price to like 80 bucks then you’ll start seeing it flying off the shelves. And I believe they’ll still make money if they drop it to 80 bucks”

Yes, I agree with you. Everybody here should listen to the podcast to have a grasp of the point this Sega's guy is trying to get across. But have a look at the bolded phrases. That kind of statements aren't what I'd call "intelligent" or "centered". And if this guy said something like those, it doesn't matter whether the rest of his speech was good and centered: he is (probably) unredeemably mad, he (probably) have no friggin' idea of what he is talking about, and I don't know why someone inside Sega or people like us in this forum should pay any attention to anything coming out of his mouth.

bmf said:
IF YOU'RE GOING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE GUY, AT LEAST LISTEN TO THE FUCKING PODCAST FIRST. IF YOU'RE GOING TO AGREE WITH THE GUY, LISTEN TO THE FUCKING PODCAST FIRST.

What, it's not okay to disagree with a factually incorrect statement in text unless you listen to the audio version? I don't need to hear someone say "Dead Space Extraction should have been a big hit". Text is sufficient. If he's been mis-quoted, by all means let us know. Otherwise, wrong is wrong.

And I'm sure he's perfectly competent. Plenty of otherwise intelligent people in the games industry have a huge blind spot when it comes to the Wii.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
listen to the motherfucking podcast, assholes

Davey Cakes

Or, why doesn't someone just summarize the podcast in a way that clearly, concisely, and accurately captures what the guy said. His tone doesn't matter. His words do. Last time I checked, words work just fine when written in text.

I agree that we shouldn't have to listen to the audio in order to correctly-interpret the content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom